planetf1.com

It is currently Wed Nov 14, 2018 12:12 am

All times are UTC


Forum rules


Please read the forum rules



Post new topic Reply to topic
Author Message
PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 12:48 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Feb 12, 2012 2:53 pm
Posts: 6818
Location: Mumbai, India
Image
Source - www.imgur.com

Image
Source - www.imgur.com

_________________
Feel The Fourth


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 12:49 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Feb 12, 2012 2:53 pm
Posts: 6818
Location: Mumbai, India
IMO 1 of the best race weekends of the year! Also expecting drivers like Checo to announce his drive for 2019 this week!

_________________
Feel The Fourth


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 1:48 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:39 am
Posts: 23910
Not a lot of love for the Softs from Ferrari I see


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 2:54 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Aug 08, 2016 11:14 am
Posts: 459
Location: Stratford
The hypersofts! Haven't seen them for a while.

Only one set of softs each for Ferrari, have they made the same mistake as in Monza?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 4:22 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Nov 27, 2013 11:13 am
Posts: 1646
Zoue wrote:
Not a lot of love for the Softs from Ferrari I see


No one is going to use that tyre in the race really.

It's like using the white striped tyre when the red and yellow striped are available.


Last edited by Rockie on Mon Sep 10, 2018 6:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 4:41 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Feb 12, 2012 2:53 pm
Posts: 6818
Location: Mumbai, India
Is the rain expected?

_________________
Feel The Fourth


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 5:22 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:30 pm
Posts: 28382
UnlikeUday wrote:
Is the rain expected?

It's been mooted, here's hoping. :)

_________________
PF1 Pick 10 Competition

2013: 5th Place
2014: Champion
2015: 3rd Place
2016: 4th Place

2017: 9th Place
2018: Currently 3rd

Wins: Canada 2018, Abu Dhabi 2017
Podiums: (6)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 6:07 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Aug 25, 2014 9:50 am
Posts: 877
Location: UK
No rain forecast for Friday, Saturday or Sunday.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 6:54 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Aug 08, 2016 11:14 am
Posts: 459
Location: Stratford
Rockie wrote:
Zoue wrote:
Not a lot of love for the Softs from Ferrari I see


No one is going to use that tyre in the race really.

It's like using the white striped tyre when the res and yellow stripped are available.


Hasn't it been discussed on this forum that the hardest of the tyres available generally does get used in the race this year?

Edit - yes it has. Below is from the Hard, Medium and Soft thread. The hardest compound is the most used compound over the season.

mds wrote:
Just did some stats on it :]

Total number of race laps per compound up until and including Great-Britain:
  • Hyper soft: 451
  • Ultra soft: 2008
  • Super soft: 2846
  • Soft: 3596
  • Medium: 1677
  • Hard: 47
  • Super hard: 0

Total number of race laps distributed by softest/middle/hardest compound per race:
  • Softest: 2540
  • Middle: 3464
  • Hardest: 4621

So actually the hardest option is generally the compound favoured most during a race. And by some distance too.


mds wrote:
Amount of races a compound was the preferred race tyre (vs was available during a weekend):
– hyper soft: 0/2
– ultra soft: 1/7
– super soft: 4/8
– soft: 4/8
– medium: 1/4
– hard: 0/1


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 8:36 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 30, 2017 12:58 am
Posts: 541
Location: Kansas
JN23 wrote:
The hypersofts! Haven't seen them for a while.

Only one set of softs each for Ferrari, have they made the same mistake as in Monza?


Yeah, that was my thinking. Not much wiggle room for strategy adjustments.

_________________
Mission WinLater


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 9:44 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Oct 13, 2011 8:30 pm
Posts: 67
I think scattered thunderstorms are looking more likely the closer we get.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 10:47 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Nov 27, 2013 11:13 am
Posts: 1646
Mort Canard wrote:
JN23 wrote:
The hypersofts! Haven't seen them for a while.

Only one set of softs each for Ferrari, have they made the same mistake as in Monza?


Yeah, that was my thinking. Not much wiggle room for strategy adjustments.


All the races the hypersoft has been used no one competitive has used the hardest compound.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 12:52 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 30, 2017 12:58 am
Posts: 541
Location: Kansas
Rockie wrote:
Mort Canard wrote:
JN23 wrote:
The hypersofts! Haven't seen them for a while.

Only one set of softs each for Ferrari, have they made the same mistake as in Monza?


Yeah, that was my thinking. Not much wiggle room for strategy adjustments.


All the races the hypersoft has been used no one competitive has used the hardest compound.

Be that as it may, if you have a first lap shunt, you may want to put on the hardest available compound to make a run all the way to the end of the race. I would like to at least have two sets of those harder compounds. One set to test during free practice and one set for the race. It's about preserving your options for unforeseen events rather than optimum pre-planned race strategy.

There is a military truism that battle plans don't often survive intact after the first contact with the enemy

_________________
Mission WinLater


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 7:28 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Feb 12, 2012 2:53 pm
Posts: 6818
Location: Mumbai, India
The track layout has had a minor tweak ahead of the race weekend. This happened due to construction work being carried on around the track. Hence, the overall track length will be be 2 meters shorter but the total no. of laps (61) won't be changed.

Image
Source - https://www.motorsportweek.com/admin/ck ... titled.png

https://www.motorsportweek.com/news/id/19841

_________________
Feel The Fourth


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 9:41 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed May 27, 2009 12:49 am
Posts: 315
Lukeism wrote:
I think scattered thunderstorms are looking more likely the closer we get.

Yes, thunderstorms. Mere 'rain' very unlikely. Periods of 'cats and dogs' or 'bucketing down' extremely likely.

When it was it does come it can mean stopping the race until clear but leaving a wet track.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 9:44 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Nov 27, 2013 11:13 am
Posts: 1646
Mort Canard wrote:
Rockie wrote:
Mort Canard wrote:
JN23 wrote:
The hypersofts! Haven't seen them for a while.

Only one set of softs each for Ferrari, have they made the same mistake as in Monza?


Yeah, that was my thinking. Not much wiggle room for strategy adjustments.


All the races the hypersoft has been used no one competitive has used the hardest compound.

Be that as it may, if you have a first lap shunt, you may want to put on the hardest available compound to make a run all the way to the end of the race. I would like to at least have two sets of those harder compounds. One set to test during free practice and one set for the race. It's about preserving your options for unforeseen events rather than optimum pre-planned race strategy.

There is a military truism that battle plans don't often survive intact after the first contact with the enemy


Not for the top teams.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 11:38 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 30, 2017 12:58 am
Posts: 541
Location: Kansas
Rockie wrote:
Mort Canard wrote:
Rockie wrote:
Mort Canard wrote:
JN23 wrote:
The hypersofts! Haven't seen them for a while.

Only one set of softs each for Ferrari, have they made the same mistake as in Monza?


Yeah, that was my thinking. Not much wiggle room for strategy adjustments.


All the races the hypersoft has been used no one competitive has used the hardest compound.

Be that as it may, if you have a first lap shunt, you may want to put on the hardest available compound to make a run all the way to the end of the race. I would like to at least have two sets of those harder compounds. One set to test during free practice and one set for the race. It's about preserving your options for unforeseen events rather than optimum pre-planned race strategy.

There is a military truism that battle plans don't often survive intact after the first contact with the enemy


Not for the top teams.


Whatever!

_________________
Mission WinLater


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 1:27 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Feb 12, 2012 2:53 pm
Posts: 6818
Location: Mumbai, India
Don't know how accurate this is but came across this:

Image
Source - https://scontent.fbom16-1.fna.fbcdn.net ... e=5BEEF295

_________________
Feel The Fourth


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 3:36 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Feb 09, 2013 1:20 am
Posts: 729
Every single year we have had them say the the rain might come during an evening session, last year was the only time it delivered to my memory. I think it basically rains every single day in Singapore at this time of year buts its usually in the mid afternoon and by the time qualifying/race starts its already completely dry due to the heat there.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 3:53 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Feb 12, 2012 2:53 pm
Posts: 6818
Location: Mumbai, India
Some interesting stats:

- Sebastian Vettel is the record holder for most Singapore GP wins and poles (4 each), and has led the most laps in Marina Bay history (221). Vettel led the Singapore GP from start-to-finish in 2011, 2013 and 2015, with the 2013 race being a grand slam victory (led every lap from pole with fastest lap).

- Monza pole-sitter Kimi Raikkonen has never qualified on the front row in eight previous visits to Singapore, and has only outqualified a team mate twice here (2009, 2016).

- Daniel Ricciardo has finished on the podium at Singapore in all four of his previous visits with Red Bull – the only circuit on which he has achieved this – although he has never won at Marina Bay and he’s only ever led one lap here (in 2014).

- Pole position is vitally important here. In the last nine Singapore GPs the pole-sitter has won seven times, with the exceptions being 2012, when Lewis Hamilton’s McLaren broke down while he was leading the race from pole, and 2017, when Sebastian Vettel was hit within 150 metres of the start.

- The Safety Car has appeared in every Marina Bay F1 race ever held, with 12 laps of Safety Car running last season (more than 20% of the entire race). Furthermore, Lap 1 accidents have caused a Safety Car deployment in each of the last two years.

_________________
Feel The Fourth


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 5:21 pm 
Online

Joined: Sun May 25, 2008 7:55 pm
Posts: 5547
UnlikeUday wrote:
Some interesting stats:

- Sebastian Vettel is the record holder for most Singapore GP wins and poles (4 each), and has led the most laps in Marina Bay history (221). Vettel led the Singapore GP from start-to-finish in 2011, 2013 and 2015, with the 2013 race being a grand slam victory (led every lap from pole with fastest lap).

- Monza pole-sitter Kimi Raikkonen has never qualified on the front row in eight previous visits to Singapore, and has only outqualified a team mate twice here (2009, 2016).

- Daniel Ricciardo has finished on the podium at Singapore in all four of his previous visits with Red Bull – the only circuit on which he has achieved this – although he has never won at Marina Bay and he’s only ever led one lap here (in 2014).

- Pole position is vitally important here. In the last nine Singapore GPs the pole-sitter has won seven times, with the exceptions being 2012, when Lewis Hamilton’s McLaren broke down while he was leading the race from pole, and 2017, when Sebastian Vettel was hit within 150 metres of the start.

- The Safety Car has appeared in every Marina Bay F1 race ever held, with 12 laps of Safety Car running last season (more than 20% of the entire race). Furthermore, Lap 1 accidents have caused a Safety Car deployment in each of the last two years.

Safety cars or virtual safety cars will be Mercedes' best chance here. I think they need to try to go long for the first stint and not stop until the safety cars factor in. A VSC can completely change the outcome here and overtaking here is unbelievably hard.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 7:02 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Aug 08, 2016 11:14 am
Posts: 459
Location: Stratford
sandman1347 wrote:
UnlikeUday wrote:
Some interesting stats:

- Sebastian Vettel is the record holder for most Singapore GP wins and poles (4 each), and has led the most laps in Marina Bay history (221). Vettel led the Singapore GP from start-to-finish in 2011, 2013 and 2015, with the 2013 race being a grand slam victory (led every lap from pole with fastest lap).

- Monza pole-sitter Kimi Raikkonen has never qualified on the front row in eight previous visits to Singapore, and has only outqualified a team mate twice here (2009, 2016).

- Daniel Ricciardo has finished on the podium at Singapore in all four of his previous visits with Red Bull – the only circuit on which he has achieved this – although he has never won at Marina Bay and he’s only ever led one lap here (in 2014).

- Pole position is vitally important here. In the last nine Singapore GPs the pole-sitter has won seven times, with the exceptions being 2012, when Lewis Hamilton’s McLaren broke down while he was leading the race from pole, and 2017, when Sebastian Vettel was hit within 150 metres of the start.

- The Safety Car has appeared in every Marina Bay F1 race ever held, with 12 laps of Safety Car running last season (more than 20% of the entire race). Furthermore, Lap 1 accidents have caused a Safety Car deployment in each of the last two years.

Safety cars or virtual safety cars will be Mercedes' best chance here. I think they need to try to go long for the first stint and not stop until the safety cars factor in. A VSC can completely change the outcome here and overtaking here is unbelievably hard.


I agree with you sandman that it is Mercedes best chance but I wonder how many of those safety cars have been on the first lap.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 11:17 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Oct 13, 2011 8:30 pm
Posts: 67
Out of interest what strategy could you use to benefit from a lap 1 safety car?

Possibly do Q2 on the softest tyre available then hope to switch to the hardest on the first lap for a 1 stopper?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 2:26 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Feb 12, 2012 2:53 pm
Posts: 6818
Location: Mumbai, India
Either Ocon has got a lot of fans due to his pleasant personality or they pity him for possibly not being on the grid next year.

Image
Source - https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Dm-pGutXsAEHfVZ.jpg

_________________
Feel The Fourth


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 1:48 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Dec 02, 2017 7:05 pm
Posts: 282
Location: Dallas, TX, USA
I have always wished the F1 powers would shorten this race by 5-6 laps. At Hamilton's fast lap pace last year, 61 laps takes a full 110 minutes. And of course, the 1/2 half of the race on fuller tanks means the lap times are longer. So, the race always runs afoul of the 2-hour time limit. Add any rain or the inevitable safety car, and it almost always becomes a timed race.

As a practical matter, I record these races on DVD, and in 2-hour recording speed, I'm always in danger of not documenting the checkered flag. And since there are no commercials this year, there won't be any opportunity for "pauses" to conserve any time. LOL

_________________
Short-time member, Life-Long Fan from 1965 -- More than 550 Grand Prix recorded since 1982 (all but 3), and counting...


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:51 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:30 pm
Posts: 28382
So Vandoorne is trying out a new floor and they change it during FP1 causing him to miss just about all of the session, I'm baffled.

_________________
PF1 Pick 10 Competition

2013: 5th Place
2014: Champion
2015: 3rd Place
2016: 4th Place

2017: 9th Place
2018: Currently 3rd

Wins: Canada 2018, Abu Dhabi 2017
Podiums: (6)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:06 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Feb 12, 2012 2:53 pm
Posts: 6818
Location: Mumbai, India
pokerman wrote:
So Vandoorne is trying out a new floor and they change it during FP1 causing him to miss just about all of the session, I'm baffled.


In the end, he had to pit as the car suffered from hydraulic issues!

_________________
Feel The Fourth


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:06 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Feb 12, 2012 2:53 pm
Posts: 6818
Location: Mumbai, India
FP1 done:

Image
Source - https://scontent.fbom16-1.fna.fbcdn.net ... e=5BED3315

_________________
Feel The Fourth


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:13 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:30 pm
Posts: 28382
UnlikeUday wrote:
pokerman wrote:
So Vandoorne is trying out a new floor and they change it during FP1 causing him to miss just about all of the session, I'm baffled.


In the end, he had to pit as the car suffered from hydraulic issues!

They are far removed from what they once were.

_________________
PF1 Pick 10 Competition

2013: 5th Place
2014: Champion
2015: 3rd Place
2016: 4th Place

2017: 9th Place
2018: Currently 3rd

Wins: Canada 2018, Abu Dhabi 2017
Podiums: (6)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 1:20 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2016 8:52 pm
Posts: 3063
It's abit quiet in here today, Hamilton been locking up a few times, Vettel has hit the wall and losing liquid.

_________________
PF1 Pick 10 Competition

2016: 24th place
2017: 4th place

Wins: Spain 2016, Canada 2017, Malaysia 2017
Podiums: 2nd Germany 2016, 3rd Mexico 2016


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 1:24 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Nov 05, 2012 3:58 pm
Posts: 1356
Location: London
F1_Ernie wrote:
It's abit quiet in here today, Hamilton been locking up a few times, Vettel has hit the wall and losing liquid.


The Red Bulls really do look to have fallen off the pace now and the Merc and Ferarri look pretty close, closer then I and many others suspected maybe. And when will commentators learn, no sooner had Coft crowned Vettel king of Singapore than he bumped a wall.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 1:28 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2016 8:52 pm
Posts: 3063
Lojik wrote:
F1_Ernie wrote:
It's abit quiet in here today, Hamilton been locking up a few times, Vettel has hit the wall and losing liquid.


The Red Bulls really do look to have fallen off the pace now and the Merc and Ferarri look pretty close, closer then I and many others suspected maybe. And when will commentators learn, no sooner had Coft crowned Vettel king of Singapore than he bumped a wall.


Hamilton has locked up two different sets of HS but the second set didn't look to bad. Vettel looks like he has a radiator problem and has got out the car, seemed to be taking the most risks with the walls.

I think Red bull did there faster runs on the second flying lap but I did expect them to be closer.

_________________
PF1 Pick 10 Competition

2016: 24th place
2017: 4th place

Wins: Spain 2016, Canada 2017, Malaysia 2017
Podiums: 2nd Germany 2016, 3rd Mexico 2016


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 1:46 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Nov 18, 2012 11:14 pm
Posts: 3454
Supposedly Redbull has stopped developing this year’s car as they are focusing on next year’s car already.
Merc (Hamilton) don’t look too bad here. So far they are only slower than Ferrari in s1.
But we all know that may change tomorrow.
Not ideal for Vettel to sit out the long runs. Another costly error? And Kimi seems ahead of him this weekend again. So already on the back foot here.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 2:02 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2016 8:52 pm
Posts: 3063
Looks like the top cars will start on the US.

_________________
PF1 Pick 10 Competition

2016: 24th place
2017: 4th place

Wins: Spain 2016, Canada 2017, Malaysia 2017
Podiums: 2nd Germany 2016, 3rd Mexico 2016


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 2:16 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Feb 12, 2012 2:53 pm
Posts: 6818
Location: Mumbai, India
FP2 done:

Image
Source - https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DnD2FVqW0AA9KCK.jpg:large

_________________
Feel The Fourth


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 4:06 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 08, 2015 7:54 am
Posts: 2282
I predict that Bottas will be used as a massive roadblock in this race.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 4:48 pm 
Online

Joined: Sun May 25, 2008 7:55 pm
Posts: 5547
Looks like the form book may have changed here. Red Bull not so strong, Mercedes not so weak.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 4:59 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Feb 12, 2012 2:53 pm
Posts: 6818
Location: Mumbai, India
sandman1347 wrote:
Looks like the form book may have changed here. Red Bull not so strong, Mercedes not so weak.


Even if Red Bull are a little weak, they could be contention nonetheless as a safety car intrusion is a surety here.

_________________
Feel The Fourth


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 5:39 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Dec 04, 2011 3:21 pm
Posts: 2144
Another day another mistake from vettel


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 6:06 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Mar 11, 2009 6:31 pm
Posts: 350
Location: Chicago
FormulaFun wrote:
Another day another mistake from vettel



Yeah :x
Ferrari’s drivers for next year look like they’ll do just fine against mr. consistent number 1 and mr. consistent number 2 from Mercedes :lol:


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: LKS1, sandman1347 and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group