planetf1.com

It is currently Wed Nov 14, 2018 11:31 pm

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please read the forum rules

Post subject: My god I love Le Mans
PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:35 pm 

Every year I forget just how much I enjoy it. Practice and quali are already brilliant.

And this year it's on over Father's day so even more of an excuse to sit and watch it all!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:25 pm 

I’m with you, just disappointed that the LMP1 field is down to one team.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 12:37 am 

For me, this is the big one. No other race comes close in importance.

I have cleared my calendar and prepared my schedule to watch all 24 hours non-stop.

Timing and scoring:
http://fiawec.alkamelsystems.com/

Spotter guide:
http://www.spotterguides.com/portfolio/18_lm/

And if you guys wonder who to cheer for, I am rooting for the #95 Aston Martin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 1:16 am 

Along with the 24 hours of Daytona, this is one of my real joys on television. I look forward to getting up Sunday before the sunrise and turning on the TV to see who has survived the night and who is placed in what positions.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 2:16 am 

I'll be watching as much of it as my sanity allows... we'll find out just how much that is soon.

Rooting for the Corvettes as always, even if they don't look very competitive this year... :(

AUTOSPORT GP PREDICTOR: 2017 United States Champion! (world #2)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 2:51 am 

RaggedMan wrote:

That's not entirely true, though in a practical sense it is. I can't imagine any of the other LMP1 teams are going to give Toyota much of a challenge.

Looking forward to a great race. WEC is consistently an entertaining spectacle, and even if LMP1 only has one major manufacturer that doesn't take away from the fantastic racing throughout the field.

My favourite category will be the GTs, and I'm hoping for some close racing between Ford and Ferrari. The 488 and the GT side-by-side is a stunning sight on television.

I really hope the series survives. To me it is a lot more relevant to road cars than F1, and if major LMP1 manufacturers come back in the next couple of years, it should hold on (at least that's my dream). I'd love to get to Le Mans in the next few years, I've heard the atmosphere is fantastic.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:07 am 

Toby. wrote:
RaggedMan wrote:

That's not entirely true, though in a practical sense it is. I can't imagine any of the other LMP1 teams are going to give Toyota much of a challenge.

Looking forward to a great race. WEC is consistently an entertaining spectacle, and even if LMP1 only has one major manufacturer that doesn't take away from the fantastic racing throughout the field.

My favourite category will be the GTs, and I'm hoping for some close racing between Ford and Ferrari. The 488 and the GT side-by-side is a stunning sight on television.

I really hope the series survives. To me it is a lot more relevant to road cars than F1, and if major LMP1 manufacturers come back in the next couple of years, it should hold on (at least that's my dream). I'd love to get to Le Mans in the next few years, I've heard the atmosphere is fantastic.

Yea, I was being very general with my comment about LMP1. I would love to see Rebellion or Jackie Chan (or both!) give the Toyota’s a race. The fact that it would rely on reliability, and most importantly, strategy would be a highlight of the year for me. Watching timing screens and doing calculations in my head is a good deal of the fun for me.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 11:11 am 

At the front I'm hoping for a #8 Toyota win, but I hope it isn't straightforward. I want a 24hr rollercoaster of emotions ultimately ending in Alonso's first win at Le Mans.

In the GT pro class I've noticed that all the pundits seem to think it's between Porsche and Ford, but I'm sure remember Ferrari being competative with Ford last year or the year before, have they slipped back this year?

I also think it's a massive shame that there isn't more participation from F1 drivers. How cool would it be to have Vettel in the GT Ferrari and Ricciardo in the Aston Martin for example

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 6:31 pm 

The regulations that they are planning to bring in for GT Supercars look amazing.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:39 pm 

LMP1 is a joke these days. The rest is interesting though.

PF1 Pick 10 Competition 2016: CHAMPION (2 wins, 8 podiums)

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 2:05 pm 

Decent start

First hour was better than the last few GP

I have signed up to a Eurosport subscription with a 7 day trial, so hopefully will get good coverage and cancel Sunday evening :D

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 2:11 pm 

Can't believe someone with Lotterer's experience would try to win a 24hr race in the first corner. So silly and we lose the early comparison to the fastest non Toyota.

Buemi having a great opening stint.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 2:58 pm 

If Jenson wins (!) if would be ammusing for him to taunt Fernando on going to Indycar to achieve the triple crown before he does :)

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 3:32 pm 

Fernando in the car

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 5:03 pm 

I wonder what Alonso is thinking when he's passing all those slower cars, GP2 cars, GP2 cars. :lol:

2013: 5th Place
2014: Champion
2015: 3rd Place
2016: 4th Place

2017: 9th Place
2018: Currently 3rd

Wins: Canada 2018, Abu Dhabi 2017
Podiums: (6)

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 5:22 pm 

Watching an LMP1 car cut through the field of GT cars after a safety car is one of the best sights in motorsport 8O

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 5:23 pm 

JB spends 48 laps in the garage twiddling his thumbs because a sensor failed and it happened to be in the most awkward place in the engine to get too for the mechanics.

That's going to annoy you a bit.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 5:26 pm 

Black_Flag_11 wrote:
Watching an LMP1 car cut through the field of GT cars after a safety car is one of the best sights in motorsport 8O

It really is. I'm not a regular WEC watcher, usually just dip in and out of Lemans and it always amazes me there isn't more incidents with all this traffic and different paced cars, it's very impressive to watch from all the drivers in the different cars.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 7:29 pm 

Good old fashioned noise :)

The GT class is amazing. The new lap limit between pitstops may annoy purists but it makes the racing miles easier to follow.

LMP1 is just like an exhibition. A very enjoyable one trackside

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 8:45 pm 

Nearly 8 hours in and the two Toyota's are separated by 9 seconds both having made the same number of stops.

I suppose they will be running more or less to pace given they have no external competition but still, that seems pretty impressive to me.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 10:21 pm 

Ouch 60 second stop go penalty for the #8 Toyota (Alonso's car). Speeding in a slow zone. That's going to drop them a long way back from the #7 which is already 30+ seconds ahead.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 10:25 pm 

All being equal they're going have to go some in that 8 to make that back, at least to a point where Toyota will be happy to semi-manage it. Could introduce a bit of spice to the inter-team battle.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 11:56 pm 

How is Porsche getting away with that Rothmans livery?

Even if they don’t have the name on there that’s the way it’s referenced every time the commentators mention it.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 1:00 am 

Alonso having a hell of a night shift. Gained over 40s on the sister car and was in the 3m19's before that stop.

Still well over a minute behind though.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 1:57 am 

Lotus49 wrote:
Alonso having a hell of a night shift. Gained over 40s on the sister car and was in the 3m19's before that stop.

Truly amazing! Monster stint by Alonso. Epic onboard... 8O

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 2:27 am 

-ZeroGravityToilet- wrote:
Lotus49 wrote:

Crazy stint. He took over when it was about 2m.12 behind the #7 and gives it to Nakajima about 40s behind.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 2:38 am 

jiminwatford wrote:
If Jenson wins (!) if would be ammusing for him to taunt Fernando on going to Indycar to achieve the triple crown before he does :)

He's not going to win LeMans, but even if he did, Jenson doesn't want to race Indycar - he's ruled it out, according to ESPN: http://www.espn.com.au/f1/story/_/id/21039843/button-indycar-scares-formula-e-excite-me

Quote:
No interest really. I mean IndyCar, there’s some great drivers racing there but it scares the fairy cakes out of me. I’m amazed that they still race. Very brave guys but I wouldn’t touch that. I don’t feel that’s necessary at this point of my career.

Two of his friends from karting were Justin Wilson and Dan Wheldon, which probably has something to do with his attitude as well.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 6:12 am 

Lotus49 wrote:
Lotus49 wrote:

Crazy stint. He took over when it was about 2m.12 behind the #7 and gives it to Nakajima about 40s behind.

Awesome to see, I caught the beginning of the stint before going to bed and noticed he was consistently bringing it down.

So I wake back up to find the #8 ahead of the #7, what happened?!

Edit - just read up on it. Seems it was pure pace from Alonso and Nakajima, I wish I didn't have stuff to do today and I could have stayed up to watch live.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 7:00 am 

Black_Flag_11 wrote:
Lotus49 wrote:
Lotus49 wrote:

Awesome to see, I caught the beginning of the stint before going to bed and noticed he was consistently bringing it down.

So I wake back up to find the #8 ahead of the #7, what happened?!

Edit - just read up on it. Seems it was pure pace from Alonso and Nakajima, I wish I didn't have stuff to do today and I could have stayed up to watch live.

Yeah Alonso did a really long stint on new tyres while Lopez who's the weakest of the 6 had old ones and he utterly destroyed him, Buemi had been in the 22's but Alonso came in and was doing 19's in the middle of the night which is good apparently and then Nakajima finished him off and then Koba came in for Lopez and actually put a gap back on Nakajima for a bit before it closed back up and then Koba let him past and then lost out under a slow zone and lost like 20s I think and it's fluctuated from there and 40-ish since. Both cars got a stop go that cancelled each other out as well.

I'm trying to hang on now, nothing on so thought why not. Button had a great stint during the night as well by all accounts.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 7:16 am 

Ditto other'd comments above - I love Le Mans........

5 hour 46 minutes to go - Under Safety Car at the present and Alonso's #8 Toyota Hybrid car (Gommendy up at the moment) is 1 min 45 secs ahead of the Conway #7........

Garcia's #63 making up time on the Fords and Porsche with the Corvette - whom I always favor.....

added - 5 min 30 sec to go - Alonso back behind the wheel........

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 8:01 am 

Been working all night so not been able to watch. You guys should post more commentary!!! One post #8 was behind with stop go penalty, couple of posts later and they were ahead. :D

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 8:07 am 

minchy wrote:
Been working all night so not been able to watch. You guys should post more commentary!!! One post #8 was behind with stop go penalty, couple of posts later and they were ahead. :D

Yeah not the greatest round by round, granted. :lol:

#8 is leading by just over a minute, SC worked out for them and gave them an extra 25s or so, there are a few slow zones so not much happening. Di Resta just binned it in one of the not so slow zones.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 8:27 am 

#8 still ahead, slightly extending the lead to about 1m20-ish.

Really not much going on as the slow zone is breaking up the action. A grate came loose I think so they've welded and cemented it and now they've got a slow zone in that part of the track until the cement dries.

Di Resta ok but taken to medical centre for routine checks. Quite a decent shunt.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 8:39 am 

Lol, much appreciated:)

Shift over soon so I should get get to watch the finish if I don't fall asleep.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 8:46 am 

minchy wrote:
Lol, much appreciated:)

Shift over soon so I should get get to watch the finish if I don't fall asleep.

No worries, If this slow zone is still in play when you get back you're going to struggle to stay awake to be fair. :D

Alonso pitted so lead down to 25s but the 7 will be coming in soon.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 8:49 am 

Slow zone finished. #7 pits.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 9:28 am 

Stop cutting away from the action to people watching in the pits FFS!

This GT battle is incredible stuff.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 9:48 am 

#7 has a little spin and is now 1m33-ish behind.

That was a great battle in the GTE class, I can see why Bourdais isn't happy but it was great to watch. The guy in the Porsche was weaving a lot and ran Seb off once and looked to try another time. No action by race control and Seb livid.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 10:22 am 

Myopia wrote:
jiminwatford wrote:

He's not going to win LeMans, but even if he did, Jenson doesn't want to race Indycar - he's ruled it out, according to ESPN: http://www.espn.com.au/f1/story/_/id/21039843/button-indycar-scares-formula-e-excite-me

Quote:
No interest really. I mean IndyCar, there’s some great drivers racing there but it scares the fairy cakes out of me. I’m amazed that they still race. Very brave guys but I wouldn’t touch that. I don’t feel that’s necessary at this point of my career.

Two of his friends from karting were Justin Wilson and Dan Wheldon, which probably has something to do with his attitude as well.

Indeed. That's why it would have been funny. Alonso would be like 'what, i thought you weren't interested?' lol

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 10:36 am 

Lotus49 wrote:
#7 has a little spin and is now 1m33-ish behind.

That was a great battle in the GTE class, I can see why Bourdais isn't happy but it was great to watch. The guy in the Porsche was weaving a lot and ran Seb off once and looked to try another time. No action by race control and Seb livid.

yeah it looked a little dicey, tbh. At one point Bourdais nearly got run off the track. Earlier on the Porsche was very aggressive while being overtaken by Priaulx too and more than once appeared to try to ram him (the action stopped short of contact, but pretty obvious what he was doing).