Renault
HAAS
Force something

Q1 exit candidates:
Mclaren
Sauber
Williams

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:31 pm 

Even the harshest testing analysis doesn't have Toro Rosso ahead of McLaren, so I'm really not sure where people are getting this from.

Anyway, here are mine:

Top Teams (race wins and podiums)
Mercedes
Red Bull
Ferrari

Midfield (usually in Q3)
Renault
McLaren

Lower Midfield (rare Q3 appearances)
Force India
Haas
Toro Rosso

Battle at the Back (Q3 is a distant dream)
Williams
Sauber

AUTOSPORT GP PREDICTOR: 2017 United States Champion! (world #2)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:45 pm 

1. Mercedes

2. Ferrari
3. Red Bull

4. Renault
5. Haas
6. McLaren
7. Force India

8. Williams
9. Toro Rosso

10. Sauber

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 2:17 am 

1. Merc
2. Red Bull 3. Ferrari
4. Renault
5. McLaren
6. Toro Rosso
7. Haas
8. Force India a.k.a ____
9. Williams 10. Sauber Alfa

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 5:32 am 

1. Mercedes

2. Red Bull
3. Ferrari

4. Renault
5. Haas
6. Force India

7. McLaren
8. Toro Rosso
9. Williams

10. Sauber

Something like that. :)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 6:49 am 

everyone seems to be on the same page. It just seems to obvious for things to happen like this.

My guess is we might just be in for a surprise.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:08 am 

Merc
---
Red Bull/Vettel
Kimi
---
---
Renault
McLaren
Haas
Force India
Toro Rosso
Williams
Sauber

Hardest team to place is Force India as I expect their car to be the most upgraded from those we saw in Barcelona. If the upgrades don't work then you could drop them behind Toro Rosso (which is where they appear to be right now) whereas if the upgrades do work, they could jump as high as racing Renault for 4th in the WCC.

I'm expecting Merc to be between .5 and 1 second clear of the field, with the Red Bulls and Vettel well matched and Kimi lagging behind a little. Then a big gap of over a second back to the rest of the field, with no team really cut adrift.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:50 am 

1. Mercedes
2. Red Bull
3. Ferrari
4. Renault
5. McLaren
6. Haas
7. Force India
8. Williams
9. Toro Rosso
10. Sauber

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:30 am 

I think Sauber are going to be better than many are suggesting. They look like they have put a huge amount of effort in to change the chassis. They also have big new sponsors and an up to date Ferrari engine. Their drivers may not be the best but think they car could possibly be up into the midfield. Sauber sound pretty confident abut their new car to me. could be wong.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:39 am 

1. Ferrari
2. Red Bull
3. Mercedes
4. Renault
5. Haas
6. McLaren
7. Toro Rosso
8. Force India
9. Sauber
10. Williams

Ok, 1-3 is probably wishful thinking.
4-8, will change race by race. Too close to call, probably works Renault team will have the overall edge.
9,10 Both will be close to the midfield, not close enough. Williams will regret their driver line up.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:47 am 

Don't see it much different then the last 4 years, probably no active suspension or anything else to have removed from Merc to even it out in the beginning as in 2017

1. Merc

2. Red Bull/Ferrari
4. Renault
5. Toro Rosso
6. Haas
7. Force India
8. McLaren
9. Williams
10. Sauber

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:05 am 

TheGiantHogweed wrote:
I think Sauber are going to be better than many are suggesting. They look like they have put a huge amount of effort in to change the chassis. They also have big new sponsors and an up to date Ferrari engine. Their drivers may not be the best but think they car could possibly be up into the midfield. Sauber sound pretty confident abut their new car to me. could be wong.

Personally, I think Sauber's improvement will come next year rather than this year. Keep in mind that it was halfway through the 2017 season before they even pulled out of their Honda deal, and their Alfa Romeo sponsorship wasn't announced until after the season. I think this year is more about building on the stability that last year's announcements afforded them, especially considering the mess that team was in off the track as little as 12 months ago. I don't expect them to be adrift at the back this year, though.

Oh, and you can be wong if you want to, although I'm not sure how racially correct that is ;)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 1:05 pm 

Jenson's Understeer wrote:
Merc
---
Red Bull/Vettel
Kimi

I'm a Kimi fan but this gave me a good chuckle.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 1:07 pm 

I see some people are putting a lot of stock in how many laps the Honda PU was able to put in during testing. As a result putting STR higher up the order than they finished last year with the Renault.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 2:21 pm 

1. Mercedes
2. Reb Bull / Ferrari
3. McLaren
4. Renault
5. Haas
6. McLaren
7. Toro Rosso
8. Force India
9. Sauber
10. Williams

I think McLaren will come good. They have in the past had very poor winter tests, followed by good efforts at getting things sorted for Melbourne. Their car looks fast, and if they can get around they reliability problems around the Renault engine (note the emphasis on McLaren sorting their stuff out, not Renault), then I think they'll be the behind RB & Ferrari, but ahead of the rest.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 2:50 pm 

clarkeeuk99 wrote:
1. Mercedes
2. Reb Bull / Ferrari
3. McLaren
4. Renault
5. Haas
6. McLaren
7. Toro Rosso
8. Force India
9. Sauber
10. Williams

I think McLaren will come good. They have in the past had very poor winter tests, followed by good efforts at getting things sorted for Melbourne. Their car looks fast, and if they can get around they reliability problems around the Renault engine (note the emphasis on McLaren sorting their stuff out, not Renault), then I think they'll be the behind RB & Ferrari, but ahead of the rest.

Edging your bets with Mclaren I see! :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 3:18 pm 

Laz_T800, yep! I hope so. I just want to see Alonso in a car that can at least do something.

I'm a big fan of his, and I know he very much splits opinion, but there is no doubt that he is a very talented driver and would make the races more exciting if he was in the mix.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 3:39 pm 

1. Mercedes
2. Ferrari
3. Red Bull
4. Renault
5. Force India
6. McLaren
7. Haas
8. Williams
9. Toro Rosso
10. Alfa Romeo Sauber

No point putting the gaps in as it won't change where they finish in the constructors championship.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 3:39 pm 

clarkeeuk99 wrote:
Laz_T800, yep! I hope so. I just want to see Alonso in a car that can at least do something.

I'm a big fan of his, and I know he very much splits opinion, but there is no doubt that he is a very talented driver and would make the races more exciting if he was in the mix.

lol, you have them twice in your list!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 4:20 pm 

1. Mercedes
2. Ferrari
3. Red Bull
4. Haas
5. Force India
6. Renault
7. McLaren (think they'll be faster than Renault, but less reliable)
8. Toro Rosso
9. Williams
10. Sauber

I can see McLaren as high as 5th or as low as 9th. The same for STR and Williams.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 4:31 pm 

1. Mercedes
2. Red Bull
3. Ferrari
4. Renault
5. McLaren
6. Toro Rosso
7. Haas
8. Force India
9. Williams
10. Sauber

I'm predicting a rough year for Force India followed by a big sale of the team at the end of the year. They have overachieved for a long time now but I think this year will be a rough one. I also predict a very difficult year for Williams F1. I think Haas will start out consistently in the points but will fall off the pace over the course of the season. Toro Rosso will be a surprise this year and a solid midfield points scorer.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 6:58 pm 

If Ferrari have solved their reliability issues then they look to be ahead this year and should win both championships.

1. Ferrari
2. Mercedes
3. Red Bull
4. Renault
5. McLaren

I don't care about the rest.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:36 pm 

Why is everyone marking Force India/something down? I really do not know where to put them.
Is there any reason they look weak or is it pure politics within the team?

I see Merc clear ahead.

Ferrari are the conundrum and could be better or worse than Red Bull, but this is the top 3, with Kimi the laggard and likely to be a few places below Seb in a few races, and one or two surprise appearances for good measure.

Sauber are defiantly the tail enders, STR are a real unknown and could be 4th or 8th, I would not put money either way.

Now the group in the middle. I have to go for Renault heading it, Mclaren could be there with them or could be a busted flush by trying to run before they walk fast. FI could be with Renault Mclaren or above/below them.

Williams v Haas for the next places, due to driver inconsistency in both teams.

I might as well have come out and said I don't have a clue and finished with it.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:42 pm 

Jenson's Understeer wrote:
TheGiantHogweed wrote:

Personally, I think Sauber's improvement will come next year rather than this year. Keep in mind that it was halfway through the 2017 season before they even pulled out of their Honda deal, and their Alfa Romeo sponsorship wasn't announced until after the season. I think this year is more about building on the stability that last year's announcements afforded them, especially considering the mess that team was in off the track as little as 12 months ago. I don't expect them to be adrift at the back this year, though.

Oh, and you can be wong if you want to, although I'm not sure how racially correct that is ;)

They were starting to beat the Toro Rossos and Williams at the end of last year. And that was with an engine that wasn't developed all year. I agree with Gianthogweed, I think they are going to be better than expected. Their driver lineup is also superior to Toro Rosso's and possibly Williams too.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:52 pm 

I am surprised at how much people are expecting from Toro Rosso. They may have had a relatively trouble-free time in winter testing but I'm not expecting the Honda engine to have caught up with the rest over the winter. They also have a pretty uninspiring driver line-up - Kvyat put Hartley firmly in the shade at the US GP last year. I anticipate that they'll be right at the back.

Agree with the comments about Sauber though, I think they'll be more competitive this year particularly now that they have an up to date Ferrari engine. I'm expecting big things from Leclerc as well.

Overall I think people are reading too much into winter testing. Aside from McLaren making a big step forward I'm not expecting much change in the pecking order from last year. We all thought Mercedes had a massive advantage this time last year too, then Vettel turned up and won in Australia.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:30 pm 

End of season standings...

1. Mercedes
2. Red Bull
3. Ferrari
4. McLaren
5. Renault
6. Force India
7. Williams
8. Haas
9. STR
10. Sauber

Australia

1. Mercedes
2. Red Bull
3. Ferrari
4. Haas
5. Renault
6. McLaren
7. Williams
8. Force India
9. STR
10. Sauber

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 4:11 am 

1. Mercedes
2. Ferarri
3. Red Bull
4. Renault
5. McLaren
6. Haas
7. Torro Rosso
8. Force India
9. Williams
10. Sauber

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 5:34 am 

j man wrote:
I am surprised at how much people are expecting from Toro Rosso. They may have had a relatively trouble-free time in winter testing but I'm not expecting the Honda engine to have caught up with the rest over the winter. They also have a pretty uninspiring driver line-up - Kvyat put Hartley firmly in the shade at the US GP last year. I anticipate that they'll be right at the back.

Agree with the comments about Sauber though, I think they'll be more competitive this year particularly now that they have an up to date Ferrari engine. I'm expecting big things from Leclerc as well.

Overall I think people are reading too much into winter testing. Aside from McLaren making a big step forward I'm not expecting much change in the pecking order from last year. We all thought Mercedes had a massive advantage this time last year too, then Vettel turned up and won in Australia.

Last year, there were a lot of people who were Ferrari believers after testing, including myself. They were topping the timesheets consistently, and pundits were raving about the car on track. This year, I hope I'm wrong, but Merc seems in a league of their own.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:02 am 

First part of the season;

Mercedes
Ferrari
Red Bull

+ 0.8s
McLaren
Renault
Haas

+ 0.5s
Williams
Force India

+ 0.5s
Toro Rosso
Sauber

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 4:58 am 

Mercedes (Hamilton) are gonna sweep 2018, 2019 and 2020. Unless another umpteenth attempt at nobbling them finally succeeds.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 6:38 am 

Newey and Cyril's recent comments suggest it's going to be a bit of a walkover I fear. I can't see them making similar comments if they new Renault and Red Bull were close enough. Newey was critical of the overall regs and Cyril said it's no good knowing who's going to win the championship before even the first race.

There was another rumour in AutoBild that Mercedes found another 50bhp and could carry another 10kg less fuel than last tear where they already had a 10kg advantage over Ferrari.

Greatest F1 engine ever?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 8:51 am 

kleefton wrote:
j man wrote:

Last year, there were a lot of people who were Ferrari believers after testing, including myself. They were topping the timesheets consistently, and pundits were raving about the car on track. This year, I hope I'm wrong, but Merc seems in a league of their own.

Last year James Allen had Ferrari listed as #1. F1 metrics said 'too close to call' between Mercedes & Ferrari.

This year F1 metrics is saying Merc have a clear gap to Ferrari & RBR, then a disappointing gap from there to the rest (hope was Renault or McLaren would be closer). James Allen says Mercedes have a gap to Ferrari & Red Bull, and Ferrari will need to absolutely nail everything whilst hoping Mercedes don't if they want to have a chance (win the development war, no driver errors, no tactical mess-ups...).

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 10:28 am 

Mercedes than daylight

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 12:28 pm 

Lotus49 wrote:
Newey and Cyril's recent comments suggest it's going to be a bit of a walkover I fear. I can't see them making similar comments if they new Renault and Red Bull were close enough. Newey was critical of the overall regs and Cyril said it's no good knowing who's going to win the championship before even the first race.

There was another rumour in AutoBild that Mercedes found another 50bhp and could carry another 10kg less fuel than last tear where they already had a 10kg advantage over Ferrari.

Greatest F1 engine ever?

I have heard that publication is not that credible.

2013: 5th Place
2014: Champion
2015: 3rd Place
2016: 4th Place

2017: 9th Place
2018: Currently 3rd

Wins: Canada 2018, Abu Dhabi 2017
Podiums: (6)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 1:57 pm 

1. Mercedes
2. Red Bull
3. Ferrari
4. Renault
5. Haas
6. Force India
7. McLaren
8. Toro Rosso
9. Williams
10. Sauber

Will be very happy if McLaren can have a better year than I am guessing but I don't see anything in testing that would suggest it.

Would also be happy if Honda proves to be a stronger power plant than last year. We need another strong engine supplier. Need more other engines to keep Marchionne et al on good behavior.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 2:07 pm 

pokerman wrote:
Lotus49 wrote:

Greatest F1 engine ever?

I can never remember which Bild is the (supposed) good one and which one's the bad tbh, so could well be. Should always take these things with a healthy pinch of salt of course.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 2:12 pm 

Lotus49 wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Lotus49 wrote:

Greatest F1 engine ever?

I can never remember which Bild is the (supposed) good one and which one's the bad tbh, so could well be. Should always take these things with a healthy pinch of salt of course.

I don't know either, it's just something I read in respect to that article.

2013: 5th Place
2014: Champion
2015: 3rd Place
2016: 4th Place

2017: 9th Place
2018: Currently 3rd

Wins: Canada 2018, Abu Dhabi 2017
Podiums: (6)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 3:37 am 

I came here just to say this.... Sauber wont be last IMHO, Not even close. :-P

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 5:28 am 

funkymonkey wrote:
I came here just to say this.... Sauber wont be last IMHO, Not even close. :-P

Bold prediction. We'll see soon enough if you're right.

AUTOSPORT GP PREDICTOR: 2017 United States Champion! (world #2)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 7:56 pm 

Top teams
Mercedes
Ferrari
Red Bull

Upper midfield
McLaren
Renault
Force India

Lower midfield
Haas
Williams