planetf1.com

It is currently Fri Nov 16, 2018 3:13 am

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Post subject: RIP Phil Hughes
PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 8:22 am 

http://mobile.news.com.au/sport/cricket ... 7137085261

I know there are plenty of cricket fans on the forum so I thought I'd start a condolence thread for young Phil Hughes who tragically succumbed today to a brain injury after being struck in the head by a short ball on Tuesday.

After Schumi and Bianchi its such a shock for this to happen in a sport like cricket. Motorsport is dangerous, we've all read the back of the ticket, but this is different. Im totally gutted right now.

RIP Phil.

Post subject: Re: RIP Phil Hughes
PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 10:01 am 

I've always felt cricket is a hugely dangerous sport and it's amazing that we havn't seen a lot more injuries and deaths from it. Despite how dangerous it is it almost never seems to happen. He was probably at more risk driving to the ground than batting despite it in theory being a very dangerous game.

For anyone who doesn't know a cricket ball is very hard and is bowled at very high speed and can be hit off the bat very hard. It's logical if you get in the head by it without a helmet you are going to be in serious trouble, almost no questions about it.

Hughes had a helmet on but it now seems obvious there is a flaw in the designs in that it doesn't cover enough down the side. It probably hasn't really seen much development because after all it seems to never happen. Surely now helmet designers will look at a complete update to help protect batsman more.

RIP Phil

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 10:30 am 

RIP Hughesy. You will be missed :(

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 10:44 am 

R.I.P Hughesy. A great talent, and he had so much of his career and life left to live.

Also, some additional condolences to Sean Abbott who was the bowler. I can't even begin to imagine the turmoil he is in at the moment, I hope this doesn't end his career too. Hopefuly people will be able to rally round him as well.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 12:25 pm 

Sad news. I don't follow cricket, and had never heard of the guy before a couple of days ago. But a tragic accident yet again. Shocking for all involved.

And you gotta feel bad for the guy who threw the ball. He's probably feeling awful right now despite it just being an unlucky coincidence.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 1:24 pm 

I was absolutely stunned to hear when I was on my way home from work tonight that he had died . Just 25 years of age, so young. Goes to show that no sport is safe . RIP Phil Hughes :(

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 3:44 pm 

JMILAT wrote:
I've always felt cricket is a hugely dangerous sport and it's amazing that we havn't seen a lot more injuries and deaths from it. Despite how dangerous it is it almost never seems to happen. He was probably at more risk driving to the ground than batting despite it in theory being a very dangerous game.

For anyone who doesn't know a cricket ball is very hard and is bowled at very high speed and can be hit off the bat very hard. It's logical if you get in the head by it without a helmet you are going to be in serious trouble, almost no questions about it.

Hughes had a helmet on but it now seems obvious there is a flaw in the designs in that it doesn't cover enough down the side. It probably hasn't really seen much development because after all it seems to never happen. Surely now helmet designers will look at a complete update to help protect batsman more.

RIP Phil

I would be careful of saying that there is a flaw in the helmet design. It is intended to provide a certain amount of protection and free movement of the head. The helmet wasn't faulty or badly made and it didn't break. It was one of those accidents that was probably never even imagined before a few days ago. He was hit beneath/behind his left ear (where there is no protection from the helmet or the faceguard) while his head was turned fully to the right after the ball passed his bat.

Helmet design has evolved over the years from a simple hard cap to a modified version with temple guards made famous by Mike Brearley and then the full face cage versions of today.

What they've never really been is a helmet in the sense of something you'd see a racing driver wearing. They've never eveolved from being a cap to anything more than a modified cap.

I hope there can be a new design which provides safety and comfort so that this loss of life is not a complete waste.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 5:44 pm 

The only time I can recall ESPN ever putting the sport on the crawler across the bottom of the screen in the States. Usually the only time they cover sports that aren't big here is if there's a funny clip making the rounds like the commentators rental car being hit when the ball went over the fence of the pitch. The cynic in me gets irritated that the only time it's mentioned is when there is a tragedy like this and the "if it bleeds, it leads" mentality takes over.

Condolences to this mans family, and the bowler as well.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 11:17 pm 

RIP Phil. Makes me think that head injuries in sport should me more preventable. I just wish we could have come up with a solution before this needless loss :(

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 11:28 am 

RIP Phillip. Just awful luck... Words fail me.
A good mate of my uncle who is understandably very upset. A sad time for the entire cricket world

:(

- 2013 Rookie of the Year
- 2014 Championship 6th position
- 2016 Championship 9th position

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 3:42 pm 

Happy 26th Birthday Hughesy :-(( #63NotOut

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 11:47 pm 

When you see these tragic incidents On TV and see how these professional athletes put their bodies on the line for the sport they love, then you see the human heartfelt reactions from the vast majority of people, caring about family, friends and others effected, it gives us all hope for the future of mankind.
That is the positive that comes from this truly tragic story.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 3:35 pm 

The bouncer should never have been allowed in cricket in the first place. The primary object of the game should be to bowl a batter's stumps not scare the batsman into giving his wicket away as I really can't see the skill factor in that, more foolish macho fear factor. Hughes is the latest in a very long line of batsman injured, fatally unfortunately in his case, by balls not specifically aimed at the wicket or to encourage a catch. RIP mate.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 11:58 pm 

flyboy10 wrote:
JMILAT wrote:

RIP Phil

I would be careful of saying that there is a flaw in the helmet design. It is intended to provide a certain amount of protection and free movement of the head. The helmet wasn't faulty or badly made and it didn't break. It was one of those accidents that was probably never even imagined before a few days ago. He was hit beneath/behind his left ear (where there is no protection from the helmet or the faceguard) while his head was turned fully to the right after the ball passed his bat.

Helmet design has evolved over the years from a simple hard cap to a modified version with temple guards made famous by Mike Brearley and then the full face cage versions of today.

What they've never really been is a helmet in the sense of something you'd see a racing driver wearing. They've never eveolved from being a cap to anything more than a modified cap.

I hope there can be a new design which provides safety and comfort so that this loss of life is not a complete waste.

I played goalie in lacrosse which, in some ways, is very similar to being a cricket batsman as you're having balls fired at you at high speed. The rules mandated I wear a throat guard precisely to prevent the sort of thing that happened to Phil Hughes. My throat guard once got hit by a ball and shattered. At the time, I didn't give it much though but, in hindsight, it could have well saved my life.

Why the cricket rulemakers never foresaw something like this happening and did something to help prevent it is beyond me. Such a needless waste of life.

"Noise is a form of energy and the less you hear means the more you use for propulsion" - Ulrich Baretzky