It is currently Mon Nov 19, 2018 1:07 pm

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please read the forum rules

Post subject: Re: FEEDBACK THREAD
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 9:13 pm 

RickM wrote:
f1madman wrote:
Not everyone has broadband dude, infact most of the world that has internet still have crappy connections under 100kb/s

By that logic we should take down every single image on the PF1 website then...

My logic is best.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 10:48 pm 

There really should be some pretty hefty image restrictions outside of dedicated picture threads, or threads where pictures are directly conducive to the topic at hand. While I no longer have to wait half a minute for large images to load, others do, and no amount of broadband can make some people's taste in signature images any less distracting. When 3/4 of every post is taken up by a signature image it becomes really taxing to try and read topics in the natural flow; the lack of mass images on the old forum was one of the things that drew me to it in the first place.

(And this is why I didnt want phpBB or Invision ._.)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 11:34 pm 

We are still working on the signature restrictions, guys. Please be patient with us.

As far as the avatars go, we have been informed that the current 90x90 pixel setting is the current maximum size. We'll let you know if that changes.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 6:55 am 

For the tenth time in a row I have clicked on a link and closed the tab only to realise I closed the forum as well. Please make all links open a new tab. It is just common practice.

Also, the scroll bar thingy is the same colour as the background.

Also, my opinion is avatars are good, picture sigs are bad.

Other than that, good job! Although it is kind of like looking in the mirror after a new hairstyle. Takes some getting used to :)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 7:43 am 

I have read the previous posts on this issue and I know I'm just repeating the same thing others have said, but count me in for "no images in signatures but bigger avatars".

When one person suffers from a delusion it is called insanity. When many people suffer from a delusion it is called religion. - Robert Pirsig

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 8:06 am 

I'd suggest not allowing pictures in signatures to make pages load faster, and helps keeping the forum neat

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 9:09 am 

Mod_Red wrote:
We are still working on the signature restrictions, guys. Please be patient with us.

As far as the avatars go, we have been informed that the current 90x90 pixel setting is the current maximum size. We'll let you know if that changes.

Can you just explain something to me, and everyone else here.

We're only allowed a 90x90 avatar, with a maximum filesize of 6Kib, correct?

Yet I could go and slap a 500x200 avatar on my post, witha 1meg+ image, and thats perfectly fine.

Who's bright idea was this? There's a simple solution. Drop signature images and allow a 26Kib avatar. It would REDUCE loading times, and stop people moaning about sigs.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 9:10 am 

Leen26 wrote:
I'd suggest not allowing pictures in signatures to make pages load faster, and helps keeping the forum neat

You can disable signatures from showing via your usercp options if you wish.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 9:38 am 

Rick why do you have such a bloody big bee in your bonnet about these avatars? We all did fine without them on the old forum.

It seems like people are just moaning for the sake of it tbh.

No one call anyone a moo-pickle...

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 9:45 am 

Quick question - are all posts manually approved, I'm just wondering as my last couple have had to be approved by Mods yet I swear my first couple did not?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 9:58 am 

Laura23 wrote:
Rick why do you have such a bloody big bee in your bonnet about these avatars? We all did fine without them on the old forum.

We didn't have much choice did we!?! I always thought the old forum was too dull. This is a new forum, so I think it's only normal things change a bit, that's what ppl are asking for.

I have already expressed my own view on the subject.. Big signature pics are a pain the butt.. tiny avatars are.. well.. tiny! There has to be a middle ground to keep most users happy. If it can only be avatars OR sigs I would take only avatars but make them a little bigger, at least 120-130 pixels! And 6kb is prehistoric.

IF technically the forum engine can handle both, why not make a poll to see what users think?

2011 Silverstone 1st
2012 Spa 1st
2012 Interlagos 3rd
2015 China 2nd
2015 Monza 1st

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 10:01 am 

What's with all the spam threads that are appearing in Off Topic 8O

2014 Championship : 5th :)

PF1 2014 Castrol GP Predictor
2014 Fantasy League : 1st :D

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 10:06 am 

Lotus38 wrote:
Laura23 wrote:

We didn't have much choice did we!?! I always thought the old forum was too dull. This is a new forum, so I think it's only normal things change a bit, that's what ppl are asking for.

I have already expressed my own view on the subject.. Big signature pics are a pain the butt.. tiny avatars are.. well.. tiny! There has to be a middle ground to keep most users happy. If it can only be avatars OR sigs I would take only avatars but make them a little bigger, at least 120-130 pixels! And 6kb is prehistoric.

IF technically the forum engine can handle both, why not make a poll to see what users think?

If it is something that can't be changed then there is no point in keeping on going on about it. Just use a reasonable sized pic in you sig instead. It isn't the end of the world just because you can't/don't have a big avatar on a forum.

In fact I'd have preferred it if there were no pics in sigs and no avatars just like the old forum. That way everyone was equal and the forum looked very clean as a result. It also loaded very quickly regardless of your internet connection and on smartphones.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 10:17 am 

Laura23 wrote:
Lotus38 wrote:
Laura23 wrote:

If it is something that can't be changed then there is no point in keeping on going on about it. Just use a reasonable sized pic in you sig instead. It isn't the end of the world just because you can't/don't have a big avatar on a forum.

In fact I'd have preferred it if there were no pics in sigs and no avatars just like the old forum. That way everyone was equal and the forum looked very clean as a result. It also loaded very quickly regardless of your internet connection and on smartphones.

Anything can be changed, and the fact is this forum is WAY faster than the old one even with sigs and avatars activated.

I'm not going to keep on at this, I will go along with whatever the admins say, but I think it's only normal that users voice their opinions on this and any other aspect given the nature of the situation, with a new forum in place and aspects to be decided upon (this IS a feedback thread you know). Rest assured I won't be bitching about this for weeks if the answer is no to bigger avs ;)

2011 Silverstone 1st
2012 Spa 1st
2012 Interlagos 3rd
2015 China 2nd
2015 Monza 1st

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 10:19 am 

That's good. I get the feeling Rick won't back down quote as easily. There are plenty of F1 forums out there to chose from though, anyone who doesn't like PF1 can easily leave for somewhere they can have an avatar.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 10:28 am 

Ysmalari wrote:
Quick question - are all posts manually approved, I'm just wondering as my last couple have had to be approved by Mods yet I swear my first couple did not?

All posts have been approved by me - it's quicker to let everything in and let members report posts than reading individual posts. Lazy I know, but it mens your posts make it online quicker.

I can see no reason why any of your posts wouldn't have been approved.

As for the problem with signatures, I have run that by the techies again. We have no problem with the smaller images but the huge ones are indeed a problem and in theory should already have been reduced/removed by the software.

Tabs - that's not a setting I can find a way for us to change, I'm afraid you're going to have to make do with remembering to ctrl-click everything you want in a new tab.

Please report forum problems to us, via PM/Feedback Thread. Screenshots will also help.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 10:48 am 

Location: Somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert
My tuppence worth... red text on gray background makes things harder to read without providing any benefit.

(obviously my sig's different :] )

Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?

-Epicurus

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 11:17 am 

dizlexik wrote:
Alienturnedhuman wrote:
virtuallynobody wrote:
As many others have suggested, please ditch the signature pics and go to (limited) avatars instead. Aside from the distraction and interruption of the thread flow, the bandwidth issue is major. Please consult with your IT people. Some of the signatures are already up to 1 meg in size! Also you should configure "quote" and "reply with quote" so they omit pictures (if that's possible, otherwise it should be frowned upon or against the rules).
The only internet service available to me is UBB (usage based billing). So I have to pay by the amount of data I use. If most people don't have that yet, believe me, it is the way of the future. If you are on a mobile, you probably pay for data.
I can't afford to pay 1 cent every time I see someones 1 meg sig (doesn't sound like much but adds up real quick). If it stays this way, the size of sigs will probably just keep going up. I will be forced to leave as I can't afford it. Likewise, pics that are appearing 10 times on a page because of quoting get expensive and in the long run I'm sure they slow things down.
Thank you for your consideration.

The bolder part is not true, once a browser has downloaded an image it does not download it again, it caches it. This means (unless you have unusual custom settings in your browser, or are revisiting in a "privacy mode" the image won't be downloaded again, at least not for a specific time period depending on the headers sent with the image file

I visit this forum using different devices in different places, the 1mb signature is totally unnecessary!!!!

I never made mention of signatures, I was replying to the bolded part only, where he suggested that pictures duplicated in quotes would take up extra bandwidth - they won't, once they are downloaded they are cached so people quoting a post with an image in will not be making any additional demands on bandwidths. The only exception to this is if they are on a separate page AND they have been served with headers that tell the browser not to cache the image (ie, tell it that it instantly expires) which is very rare because servers also want to conserve bandwidth so unless it is a dynamic image or the server is poorly configured this is not going to happen.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 11:18 am 

P-F1 Mod wrote:
As for the problem with signatures, I have run that by the techies again. We have no problem with the smaller images but the huge ones are indeed a problem and in theory should already have been reduced/removed by the software.

No, signature images are still alive and kicking. Isn't it much simpler to purge all signatures of img codes than to police pics size, which bb software has no way to control?

Okay excuse me, while I'm at it, nitpicking lol, why does "Board index » F1 Forum" line has to be on the gray bg, "hanging" over the top of the black bg image? Just a thought, no answer needed..

Hooray to the forum crew, looks definitely better than before :-P

Last edited by marvinonpole on Fri Mar 02, 2012 11:32 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 11:19 am 

[spoiler]I know that you are very busy sorting everything out and that is probably the reason you didn't acknowledge it, but I just wanted to check that before the techies go that you got my message about the spoiler tags not working.[/spoiler]

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 11:24 am 

Test to see if my posts are automatically requiring approval before appearing on the forum.

Edit - apparently they are :? Mods can you take a look and see if there's a reason why all my posts require approval.

Last edited by Ysmalari on Fri Mar 02, 2012 11:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 11:29 am 

P-F1 Mod wrote:
Tabs - that's not a setting I can find a way for us to change, I'm afraid you're going to have to make do with remembering to ctrl-click everything you want in a new tab.

...or the middle mouse button, which I always use... ;)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 11:44 am 

Alienturnedhuman wrote:
[spoiler]I know that you are very busy sorting everything out and that is probably the reason you didn't acknowledge it, but I just wanted to check that before the techies go that you got my message about the spoiler tags not working.[/spoiler]

Sorry, I did indeed miss that :blush: I'll alert techies now.

Please report forum problems to us, via PM/Feedback Thread. Screenshots will also help.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 12:08 pm 

When I have the time (which won't be for at least a week) I will make a Google Chrome extension that makes external links open in a new tab, resizes images larger than the viewport so they fit on a person's screen, removes images from signatures, makes quotes click to view and gives the user the option of setting a fixed width on the body.

If anyone has any other suggestions for what they want me to add, I started a thread here:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=156

Please note, this doesn't actually change the features of the forum, or interfere with it - it just improves the functionality of the HTML in the browser (well in Google Chrome).

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 1:27 pm 

A new user has made two threads in the off topic section (the only two posts by the account) which are very wordy full of links (which I didn't click on, but one looked to be to an online gambling site) which are almost word for word identical (bar four characters at the end of the thread title)

I suspect they are spam, and are posted by a bot designed to crawl phpBB forums and post links. I reported both of them but figured that they deserved extra scrutiny because if they are by a bot then the techies need to add better captcha protection to the forum sign up and make sure that all phpBB vulnerabilities are plugged (which, being a popular platform any vulnerabilities that are found are very quickly exploited)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 5:19 pm 
Alienturnedhuman wrote:
A new user has made two threads in the off topic section (the only two posts by the account) which are very wordy full of links (which I didn't click on, but one looked to be to an online gambling site) which are almost word for word identical (bar four characters at the end of the thread title)

I suspect they are spam, and are posted by a bot designed to crawl phpBB forums and post links. I reported both of them but figured that they deserved extra scrutiny because if they are by a bot then the techies need to add better captcha protection to the forum sign up and make sure that all phpBB vulnerabilities are plugged (which, being a popular platform any vulnerabilities that are found are very quickly exploited)

Thanks, Alien. We deleted both topics, just in case, and have posted a message for our tech wizards :)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 5:47 pm 

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Can I just say I love how the mods are doing their parts on their own avatars by using POWER RANGERS! :thumbup:

And Ricky are you upset we can't have a larger file size so that your Webber face can be .png and transparent?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 6:31 pm 

f1madman wrote:

Can I just say I love how the mods are doing their parts on their own avatars by using POWER RANGERS! :thumbup:

And Ricky are you upset we can't have a larger file size so that your Webber face can be .png and transparent?

Not at all. I just think its pretty stupid that I can slap a 1,2 or even 10 meg sig on my posts, but not an avatar larget than a meager 6Kib. Seriously, the 6Kib setting was on phpBB back when it was released in 2000 and was from the original uBB, which was from 1997. It's been 15 years since then and phpbb, being an ancient pile of <insert> still offeres it as a default setting.

I'll shut up about it now, but wanted a mod to acknowledge and realise how idiotic it was. On a 90s dial up connection you could load a page of 6Kib avatars in around a second...thats how ancient we're talking here.

================

We've got an even bigger problem now tho. PF1 MUST, and I really do mean MUST install some modifications to the registration page. We're already seeing spammers which you will not stop unless you manually customise the registration page. PHPBB's captcha was broken about 5 years ago, its useless.

Either add a custom field (not hard, a minor template edit and then a minor edit to the registration form process file) or install a question/answer mod to ask unique questions (e.g "What are the initials of the 2011 F1 world champion?"). This'll stop bots dead. Relying on captcha will do nothing with phpbb.

If needed I can provide the edits to the registration form as I've had to do it before.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 7:09 pm 

Might want to get on to that registration thing as there are two more bot spam messages that have appeared in the off topic forum.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 7:29 pm 
We have already reported the spamming issue, and are awaiting for our tech wizards to provide us with a solution. And yes, it is a bit tiring to have to keep on cleaning the Off-Topic section :?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 9:23 pm 

Mod_Yellow wrote:
We have already reported the spamming issue, and are awaiting for our tech wizards to provide us with a solution. And yes, it is a bit tiring to have to keep on cleaning the Off-Topic section :?

That's the joy of phpBB, one way to stop the spammers it to only allow admins ot activate new members like on the old forum. I know a new thing was to allow new members to activate own their own but phpBB is well known for being open to spammers to come in with the setting like that.

Also is it only new members who need their posts approving?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 9:54 pm 
Jomox wrote:
Mod_Yellow wrote:

That's the joy of phpBB, one way to stop the spammers it to only allow admins ot activate new members like on the old forum. I know a new thing was to allow new members to activate own their own but phpBB is well known for being open to spammers to come in with the setting like that.

Also is it only new members who need their posts approving?

Yes, only new members. We are fine tuning the process, sorry about keeping you waiting for approvals for the time being. Hopefully you'll be out of the "new members" list soon! ;)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 10:20 pm 

After further use i have to concede i was wrong in 1st impression , The new forum software is rubbish afterall.

glitchy , slow scrolll, have turned off sigs ( way too annoying and break up reading 'flow' across mutiple post), slow - very very very slow compared to the other 8-10 forums i vist in a day.

not quite bad enough to stop coming here but stay a lot less time once here

I really hope coloured fonts dont catch on,, can i turn that off anwyhere?

I know you wont go back but i might not come back if it doesnt improve

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 10:53 pm 

stevefromstoke wrote:
After further use i have to concede i was wrong in 1st impression , The new forum software is rubbish afterall.

glitchy , slow scrolll, have turned off sigs ( way too annoying and break up reading 'flow' across mutiple post), slow - very very very slow compared to the other 8-10 forums i vist in a day.

not quite bad enough to stop coming here but stay a lot less time once here

I really hope coloured fonts dont catch on,, can i turn that off anwyhere?

I know you wont go back but i might not come back if it doesnt improve

Understood and heard, same with you Rick and others who have been less vocal but raise equally valid points. Sadly the way the forum is set up in terms of multiple servers means I can't just repair things like on the old forum, but we are working as quickly as we can to fix the issues you are all reporting.

Thanks very much.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 6:20 am 

Also is there any way you can change the background colour? The gray doesn't just seem right to me. Other forums offer the users option to choose from multiple skins.

When one person suffers from a delusion it is called insanity. When many people suffer from a delusion it is called religion. - Robert Pirsig

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 7:53 am 

seems all right. i wish i could customize it a bit more though

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 9:03 am 

Can the 'Quick Reply' feature be added to the forum? Makes things a lot easier to be honest.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 10:51 am 
f1madman wrote:

;)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 11:02 am 

P-F1 Mod wrote:
stevefromstoke wrote:
stuff

Understood and heard, same with you Rick and others who have been less vocal but raise equally valid points. Sadly the way the forum is set up in terms of multiple servers means I can't just repair things like on the old forum, but we are working as quickly as we can to fix the issues you are all reporting.

Thanks very much.

Despite the moaning this is my fave F1 formum and i really hope its all good very soon. If you could sort out the speed issues , especially scrolling, i could cope with the other stuff
Cheers

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 12:39 pm 

stevefromstoke wrote:
P-F1 Mod wrote:
stevefromstoke wrote:
stuff

Thanks very much.

Despite the moaning this is my fave F1 formum and i really hope its all good very soon. If you could sort out the speed issues , especially scrolling, i could cope with the other stuff
Cheers

The scrolling on mine is absolutely fine and I'm using Chrome...