planetf1.com

It is currently Sun Feb 23, 2020 12:50 am

All times are UTC


Forum rules


Please read the forum rules



Post new topic Reply to topic
Author Message
 Post subject: F1 2012: Do you play it?
PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 8:34 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Apr 01, 2013 6:37 pm
Posts: 29
This may belong to the gaming-thread, but another question: If you play, are you good? Anyone here that have some nice lap times? I am not really good at this game, but here is my best lap times:
1.14.000-Monaco
1.38.8- Abu DHABI
1.48.5- Spa
1.10.3- Brazil


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 9:16 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jun 02, 2012 6:58 pm
Posts: 3796
I play, but I'm terrible. What frustrates me is the difficulty settings. It's either too easy to get pole and the win, and lap the entire feild in 15 laps, or I'm fighting with the HRTs, I usually have to balance it out with my set up, but it I have to do something different each race. I usually play when I get bored of other games.

I got a 1.09.??? At Interlagos once, but I can't remember if it was 10, 11, or 12.

_________________
IV
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 10:29 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat May 10, 2008 6:08 pm
Posts: 1836
I do. PC wheel settings make it feel like Prost's Ferrari though, so my times aren't that quick I don't think.

As it happens, didn't we have a cross platform TT on one of the earlier games here once? Might be an idea to do it again if there is enough interest?

edit: Just done a 1.48.385 at Spa in a Red Bull. If the previous games are anything to go by, a Mclaren will destroy that.

And a 1.46.311 at Marina Bay. Which has noticeably more tolerance to putting wheels off the track than in previous games.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 2:10 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun Nov 29, 2009 9:41 pm
Posts: 4221
AngusWolfe wrote:
I play, but I'm terrible. What frustrates me is the difficulty settings. It's either too easy to get pole and the win, and lap the entire feild in 15 laps, or I'm fighting with the HRTs, I usually have to balance it out with my set up, but it I have to do something different each race. I usually play when I get bored of other games.

I got a 1.09.??? At Interlagos once, but I can't remember if it was 10, 11, or 12.


I get the exact same thing! Either dominate (i usually do an extra pitstop or let myself fall a good deal behind at the start to make it interesting) or I'm comically slow.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 8:17 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Dec 05, 2012 2:48 pm
Posts: 123
I play it and love it, will have to see if my times are competitive to yours when I get home from work. Currently driving for Williams atm and sitting 4th in the championship on legend, happy with that :)

_________________
F1 fan since 97...
Kimi Raikkonen
Fernando Alonso :D
Lewis Hamilton :D
--------------------------------------------------


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 8:43 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Mar 25, 2013 2:56 pm
Posts: 379
Got it during the steam summer sale. It's not bad just the only wet race I had was Bahrain. Usually pick it up when I need a break from Dark Souls.

_________________
PF1 Pick 10 Competition:
Best Result: 2nd Korea (2013)
Best Overall: 67th (2013)
Top Three Overall: 5th (2013)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:07 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jun 02, 2012 6:58 pm
Posts: 3796
Mizanthropic wrote:
Got it during the steam summer sale. It's not bad just the only wet race I had was Bahrain. Usually pick it up when I need a break from Dark Souls.

You didn't experience the bug it had for a while where almost every race was wet then? I nearly sold it because of that. Luckily there was an update that fixed it.

Saying that, I did still have a wet qualifying in Abu Dhabi the other day...

_________________
IV
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:19 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat Oct 30, 2010 4:14 pm
Posts: 2033
Location: South Yorkshire
I have given up on F1 2012, full of bugs.

At Valencia I qualified 3rd, it was down for a wet race but on race day the sun was shining so I presumed it was a dry race, until I started the race and realised the track was covered in water so every car span off, including myself. I then tried restarting the race and seeing if it would let me change to inter tyres, it wouldn't :(

_________________
Team Vettel, Ricciardo, Bottas and Button.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 11:00 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Apr 01, 2013 6:37 pm
Posts: 29
[quote="Kimi 2012"]I play it and love it, will have to see if my times are competitive to yours when I get home from work. Currently driving for Williams atm and sitting 4th in the championship on legend, happy with that :)[/qu
You are probaly better than me. The lap tmes I mentioned is my very best!

_________________
Fernando Alonso! 2014, bring it on!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 11:02 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Apr 01, 2013 6:37 pm
Posts: 29
Robbo-92 wrote:
I have given up on F1 2012, full of bugs.

At Valencia I qualified 3rd, it was down for a wet race but on race day the sun was shining so I presumed it was a dry race, until I started the race and realised the track was covered in water so every car span off, including myself. I then tried restarting the race and seeing if it would let me change to inter tyres, it wouldn't :(



I hate that too.

_________________
Fernando Alonso! 2014, bring it on!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 11:10 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Dec 05, 2012 2:48 pm
Posts: 123
PSQ wrote:
Kimi 2012 wrote:
I play it and love it, will have to see if my times are competitive to yours when I get home from work. Currently driving for Williams atm and sitting 4th in the championship on legend, happy with that :)

You are probaly better than me. The lap tmes I mentioned is my very best!


Wouldn't say that now, they look like good times to me :nod:

_________________
F1 fan since 97...
Kimi Raikkonen
Fernando Alonso :D
Lewis Hamilton :D
--------------------------------------------------


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 1:00 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2012 10:29 am
Posts: 1933
PSQ wrote:
Robbo-92 wrote:
I have given up on F1 2012, full of bugs.

At Valencia I qualified 3rd, it was down for a wet race but on race day the sun was shining so I presumed it was a dry race, until I started the race and realised the track was covered in water so every car span off, including myself. I then tried restarting the race and seeing if it would let me change to inter tyres, it wouldn't :(



I hate that too.

Just quit the entire game and load it again - as long as you have autosave on you should find yourself back in the garage when you resume your career mode and hey presto - change tyres!

_________________
#KeepFightingMichael


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 1:11 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2012 10:29 am
Posts: 1933
After an extended break from F1 2012 (I got addicted to GT6 academy) I started a new career with HRT yesterday - out-qualifed Pedro so looking good so far!

As far as the racing goes - it's up there. But I just cannot help but feel the urge to grab CM round the neck and scream "WTF were you thinking?!" when it comes down to the career mode. I mean, one of the main goals in F1 is to beat your team-mate (as I've done in Melbourne) but if I fail to reach the race objective (finish 19th) then it's all gone to fairy cakes?

A better solution to the career mode would be to a.) beat your team-mate and then b.) beat the other teams around you (as I'm with HRT then Marussia and Caterham spring to mind). Likewise with Williams/FI/Sauber and then up to the top 4 or 5 teams once you get there. Qualifying/race objectives mean gherkin all to me. If for instance I got into Q3 yesterday purely by luck and they gave me a race objective of 5th place, realistically I'm not going to finish anywhere near there and my weekend would have been deemed a failure DESPITE me getting a HRT into Q3?! It just doesn't make sense.

I hope CM sort out the career mode in 2013 - but I'm not raising my hopes.

If anyone's up for an online race anytime soon though just add me - mistavega23 - see you on the grid!

_________________
#KeepFightingMichael


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 1:47 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Oct 30, 2010 4:14 pm
Posts: 2033
Location: South Yorkshire
MistaVega23 wrote:
PSQ wrote:
Robbo-92 wrote:
I have given up on F1 2012, full of bugs.

At Valencia I qualified 3rd, it was down for a wet race but on race day the sun was shining so I presumed it was a dry race, until I started the race and realised the track was covered in water so every car span off, including myself. I then tried restarting the race and seeing if it would let me change to inter tyres, it wouldn't :(



I hate that too.

Just quit the entire game and load it again - as long as you have autosave on you should find yourself back in the garage when you resume your career mode and hey presto - change tyres!


That's what I meant by restarting the race, as qualifying had happened all the top ten (the whole grid infact) started on dry tyres, but it was a wet track and it wouldn't let me change tyres.

_________________
Team Vettel, Ricciardo, Bottas and Button.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 2:03 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2012 10:29 am
Posts: 1933
Robbo-92 wrote:
MistaVega23 wrote:
PSQ wrote:
Robbo-92 wrote:
I have given up on F1 2012, full of bugs.

At Valencia I qualified 3rd, it was down for a wet race but on race day the sun was shining so I presumed it was a dry race, until I started the race and realised the track was covered in water so every car span off, including myself. I then tried restarting the race and seeing if it would let me change to inter tyres, it wouldn't :(



I hate that too.

Just quit the entire game and load it again - as long as you have autosave on you should find yourself back in the garage when you resume your career mode and hey presto - change tyres!


That's what I meant by restarting the race, as qualifying had happened all the top ten (the whole grid infact) started on dry tyres, but it was a wet track and it wouldn't let me change tyres.

Ah my bad - misinterpreted your post.

You'd think CM would fix that before the game even hit the shelves. Schoolboy errors don't come close!

_________________
#KeepFightingMichael


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 2:07 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Oct 30, 2010 4:14 pm
Posts: 2033
Location: South Yorkshire
MistaVega23 wrote:
Robbo-92 wrote:
MistaVega23 wrote:
PSQ wrote:
Robbo-92 wrote:
I have given up on F1 2012, full of bugs.

At Valencia I qualified 3rd, it was down for a wet race but on race day the sun was shining so I presumed it was a dry race, until I started the race and realised the track was covered in water so every car span off, including myself. I then tried restarting the race and seeing if it would let me change to inter tyres, it wouldn't :(



I hate that too.

Just quit the entire game and load it again - as long as you have autosave on you should find yourself back in the garage when you resume your career mode and hey presto - change tyres!


That's what I meant by restarting the race, as qualifying had happened all the top ten (the whole grid infact) started on dry tyres, but it was a wet track and it wouldn't let me change tyres.

Ah my bad - misinterpreted your post.

You'd think CM would fix that before the game even hit the shelves. Schoolboy errors don't come close!


Yep, small errors like that massively spoil the game for me, it's their 3rd attempt at an F1 game on the current formats, not their first so these errors shouldn't be apparent. I hope F1 2013 is (relatively) bug free on release.

_________________
Team Vettel, Ricciardo, Bottas and Button.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 7:27 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Mar 27, 2011 1:59 pm
Posts: 5289
Robbo-92 wrote:
Yep, small errors like that massively spoil the game for me, it's their 3rd attempt at an F1 game on the current formats, not their first so these errors shouldn't be apparent. I hope F1 2013 is (relatively) bug free on release.

you can almost guarantee it won't be, they a lit of the same bugs in a lot of their games using the same game engine, so there's not much point in expecting it to be bug free even after a couple of patches. Grid 2 didn't have too many bugs (even though there was a massive patch recently) but I don't know if it's a new game engine or an updated one? Either way, I the game feels so different to every other game they've done, I wouldn't know how versatile the engines physics are as it plays more like Ridge Racer than anything else!

Difficulty wise, I find it's the same in every racing game, too hard or too easy. Not played f1 2012, but I remember in '10 and '11 I could go from qualifying a HRT on pole and dominating to not being any higher than 17th or so on legend with a Red Bull, but still being able to do well in the race. The AI just seemed so inconsistent and hadn't been improved on in their past 3 attempts I didn't bother with '12.

I played 2010 loads, but mainly online and found that playing with other people who raced 'properly' in private matches (even if they were loads better than me) was much more fun than playing the main games career. About 6 of us used to do a half distance GP every other night and keep a points tally ourselves. Maybe it would be worth doing the same with 2013 for xbox, ps3 and PC with gamers from this forum if there are enough players up for it?

_________________
There is no theory of evolution, just a list of animals that Chuck Norris allows to live.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 8:49 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Dec 05, 2012 2:48 pm
Posts: 123
minchy wrote:
Robbo-92 wrote:
Yep, small errors like that massively spoil the game for me, it's their 3rd attempt at an F1 game on the current formats, not their first so these errors shouldn't be apparent. I hope F1 2013 is (relatively) bug free on release.

you can almost guarantee it won't be, they a lit of the same bugs in a lot of their games using the same game engine, so there's not much point in expecting it to be bug free even after a couple of patches. Grid 2 didn't have too many bugs (even though there was a massive patch recently) but I don't know if it's a new game engine or an updated one? Either way, I the game feels so different to every other game they've done, I wouldn't know how versatile the engines physics are as it plays more like Ridge Racer than anything else!

Difficulty wise, I find it's the same in every racing game, too hard or too easy. Not played f1 2012, but I remember in '10 and '11 I could go from qualifying a HRT on pole and dominating to not being any higher than 17th or so on legend with a Red Bull, but still being able to do well in the race. The AI just seemed so inconsistent and hadn't been improved on in their past 3 attempts I didn't bother with '12.

I played 2010 loads, but mainly online and found that playing with other people who raced 'properly' in private matches (even if they were loads better than me) was much more fun than playing the main games career. About 6 of us used to do a half distance GP every other night and keep a points tally ourselves. Maybe it would be worth doing the same with 2013 for xbox, ps3 and PC with gamers from this forum if there are enough players up for it?


I'd be up for that, I played 2011 quite a lot on the ps3 online and I found that you either got put into a lobby full of first corner maniacs or you where put in with a bunch of pensioners. When you finally got a race with 'clean' players it was such good fun, I'm not that good at the game but like you said it is great fun when you're playing against other players who actually try to overtake you without t-boning you.

_________________
F1 fan since 97...
Kimi Raikkonen
Fernando Alonso :D
Lewis Hamilton :D
--------------------------------------------------


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 9:45 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jun 08, 2013 9:44 am
Posts: 545
Location: Scotland
I picked it up recently having never played a racing game before. Took a little while to get up to speed, playing on the easiest difficulty, but now I'm comfortably getting pole even when I'm making little mistakes and when it comes to the race I'm finishing anywhere from 10-20 secs ahead of the car in second, so I think it's time to ramp the difficulty up!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 11:02 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Dec 12, 2011 8:25 am
Posts: 2250
Location: Paddock
I'd rather play Gran Turismo, where there are more than a thousand cars, F1 cars included.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 11:14 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Dec 05, 2012 2:48 pm
Posts: 123
Recently started playing GT again, great game. My only gripe is the difference between standard/premium cars and the fact that you can't customise your cars to the same level you can in forza.

_________________
F1 fan since 97...
Kimi Raikkonen
Fernando Alonso :D
Lewis Hamilton :D
--------------------------------------------------


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 11:45 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Dec 12, 2011 8:25 am
Posts: 2250
Location: Paddock
Kimi 2012 wrote:
Recently started playing GT again, great game. My only gripe is the difference between standard/premium cars and the fact that you can't customise your cars to the same level you can in forza.

You can still fully tune the cars exactly the same no matter if they are standard or premium. The customizing thing... yes, but well, you should play need for speed if you want so much customization. GT has never been about a Need for Speed style tunning, its rather about performance than aestetics.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 12:47 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Dec 05, 2012 2:48 pm
Posts: 123
RacingFan1 wrote:
Kimi 2012 wrote:
Recently started playing GT again, great game. My only gripe is the difference between standard/premium cars and the fact that you can't customise your cars to the same level you can in forza.

You can still fully tune the cars exactly the same no matter if they are standard or premium. The customizing thing... yes, but well, you should play need for speed if you want so much customization. GT has never been about a Need for Speed style tunning, its rather about performance than aestetics.


Played need for speed, just not for me, offers no challenge at all. Performance tuning is fine, i enjoy trying to fine tune a setup that suits the car/track and the the standard/premium gripe is more aesthetically based, they took long enough to design the game after all. I really need a racing wheel though :(

_________________
F1 fan since 97...
Kimi Raikkonen
Fernando Alonso :D
Lewis Hamilton :D
--------------------------------------------------


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 1:03 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Dec 12, 2011 8:25 am
Posts: 2250
Location: Paddock
Kimi 2012 wrote:
Played need for speed, just not for me, offers no challenge at all. Performance tuning is fine, i enjoy trying to fine tune a setup that suits the car/track and the the standard/premium gripe is more aesthetically based, they took long enough to design the game after all. I really need a racing wheel though :(

Yeah, NFS is too arcadey for me aswell.
Without a racing wheel you can still do ok, however I've noticed that with a racing wheel you can definitely go faster through corners, as the turning radius seems to be a little bit bigger.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 1:30 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Dec 05, 2012 2:48 pm
Posts: 123
RacingFan1 wrote:
Kimi 2012 wrote:
Played need for speed, just not for me, offers no challenge at all. Performance tuning is fine, i enjoy trying to fine tune a setup that suits the car/track and the the standard/premium gripe is more aesthetically based, they took long enough to design the game after all. I really need a racing wheel though :(

Yeah, NFS is too arcadey for me aswell.
Without a racing wheel you can still do ok, however I've noticed that with a racing wheel you can definitely go faster through corners, as the turning radius seems to be a little bit bigger.


I manage without it but I think it would be more fun with one and I would be able to control the car a bit better, really want one for F1 2012

_________________
F1 fan since 97...
Kimi Raikkonen
Fernando Alonso :D
Lewis Hamilton :D
--------------------------------------------------


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 2:10 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Dec 12, 2011 8:25 am
Posts: 2250
Location: Paddock
If you want a GOOD wheel you should go for something like G27 which is not cheap, or the Thrustmaster which is even better and more expensive.

I honestly don't want to pay so much for it at lest for now. I have other preferences.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 2:46 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat May 10, 2008 6:08 pm
Posts: 1836
The Logitech DFGT is a good wheel that isn't too expensive if you shop around. CEX in the UK are selling it for £50 online. Flappy paddles are a bit rubbish on it, but other than that, great wheel.

Also, with F1 2012 it takes a hell of a lot of tweaking to get it feeling right. Straight out of the box it will have have a massive deadzone that makes turning more about watching the car than your natural inputs.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 2:58 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Oct 30, 2010 4:14 pm
Posts: 2033
Location: South Yorkshire
huggybear wrote:
The Logitech DFGT is a good wheel that isn't too expensive if you shop around. CEX in the UK are selling it for £50 online. Flappy paddles are a bit rubbish on it, but other than that, great wheel.

Also, with F1 2012 it takes a hell of a lot of tweaking to get it feeling right. Straight out of the box it will have have a massive deadzone that makes turning more about watching the car than your natural inputs.


I can't reccomend the DFGT enough, I got mine for £85 (around that) in 2010 and it still works & feels like I got it out the box yesterday. Personally I find the flappy paddles ok, easy enough to reach and seem to have a satisfying sound when you change gear.

Just out of interest what are your settings for F1 2012? I haven't got mine to hand but would be intrested to see someone else's settings.

_________________
Team Vettel, Ricciardo, Bottas and Button.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 3:00 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Oct 30, 2010 4:14 pm
Posts: 2033
Location: South Yorkshire
Kimi 2012 wrote:
minchy wrote:
Robbo-92 wrote:
Yep, small errors like that massively spoil the game for me, it's their 3rd attempt at an F1 game on the current formats, not their first so these errors shouldn't be apparent. I hope F1 2013 is (relatively) bug free on release.

you can almost guarantee it won't be, they a lit of the same bugs in a lot of their games using the same game engine, so there's not much point in expecting it to be bug free even after a couple of patches. Grid 2 didn't have too many bugs (even though there was a massive patch recently) but I don't know if it's a new game engine or an updated one? Either way, I the game feels so different to every other game they've done, I wouldn't know how versatile the engines physics are as it plays more like Ridge Racer than anything else!

Difficulty wise, I find it's the same in every racing game, too hard or too easy. Not played f1 2012, but I remember in '10 and '11 I could go from qualifying a HRT on pole and dominating to not being any higher than 17th or so on legend with a Red Bull, but still being able to do well in the race. The AI just seemed so inconsistent and hadn't been improved on in their past 3 attempts I didn't bother with '12.

I played 2010 loads, but mainly online and found that playing with other people who raced 'properly' in private matches (even if they were loads better than me) was much more fun than playing the main games career. About 6 of us used to do a half distance GP every other night and keep a points tally ourselves. Maybe it would be worth doing the same with 2013 for xbox, ps3 and PC with gamers from this forum if there are enough players up for it?


I'd be up for that, I played 2011 quite a lot on the ps3 online and I found that you either got put into a lobby full of first corner maniacs or you where put in with a bunch of pensioners. When you finally got a race with 'clean' players it was such good fun, I'm not that good at the game but like you said it is great fun when you're playing against other players who actually try to overtake you without t-boning you.


I would be up for playing online with some fair racers as well, even though I would get soundly beaten each race, I also play on the ps3.

_________________
Team Vettel, Ricciardo, Bottas and Button.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 3:46 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 14, 2012 5:44 pm
Posts: 1062
Bought F1 2012 on the cheap a couple of weeks ago.

Did the first 10 races of my career on intermediate with Caterham, started getting far too easy... moved up to professional and I was still sniffing around the lower reaches of the points. Then I won the races at Monza (Despite forming a huge Trulli train behind me), Abu Dhabi and Austin, with podiums in India and Singapore, finishing 4th in the Championship and got a contract offer to replace Kimi at Lotus!

What I find strange is that some tracks I am right at the front on Professional and nearly ready to move up to Legend, but on others (Notably Melbourne, Silverstone, Spa and Interlagos) I'm 2+ seconds off the lead pace (probably where I should be in a Caterham.)

I like that fact that because I did well with Caterham in my first season they have moved up the grid in my second season!

_________________
Pick 10 Competition:
2013 - 10th
2014 - 9th
2015 - 6th


Pick 10 Podiums:
1st Place: USA 2012, Japan 2013, USA 2015
2nd Place: Bahrain 2015, Barcelona 2015
3rd Place: China 2014


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 4:45 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Dec 05, 2012 2:48 pm
Posts: 123
coulthards chin wrote:
Bought F1 2012 on the cheap a couple of weeks ago.

Did the first 10 races of my career on intermediate with Caterham, started getting far too easy... moved up to professional and I was still sniffing around the lower reaches of the points. Then I won the races at Monza (Despite forming a huge Trulli train behind me), Abu Dhabi and Austin, with podiums in India and Singapore, finishing 4th in the Championship and got a contract offer to replace Kimi at Lotus!

What I find strange is that some tracks I am right at the front on Professional and nearly ready to move up to Legend, but on others (Notably Melbourne, Silverstone, Spa and Interlagos) I'm 2+ seconds off the lead pace (probably where I should be in a Caterham.)

I like that fact that because I did well with Caterham in my first season they have moved up the grid in my second season!


I find this too. I usually find myself making a great start and then I seem to form a massive train. I find that the Williams is quick over one lap as i can regularly push it into the top 10 but it has no pace during the race. The only 2 tracks where the car was competitively quick were spa and monza, I came from 18th to beat Grosjean at the last corner at spa and ran away with the win in monza. One track where I always seem to struggle is singapore, I'm finding it to be one hateful stretch of tarmac :-(

_________________
F1 fan since 97...
Kimi Raikkonen
Fernando Alonso :D
Lewis Hamilton :D
--------------------------------------------------


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 6:18 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat May 10, 2008 6:08 pm
Posts: 1836
Robbo-92 wrote:
huggybear wrote:
The Logitech DFGT is a good wheel that isn't too expensive if you shop around. CEX in the UK are selling it for £50 online. Flappy paddles are a bit rubbish on it, but other than that, great wheel.

Also, with F1 2012 it takes a hell of a lot of tweaking to get it feeling right. Straight out of the box it will have have a massive deadzone that makes turning more about watching the car than your natural inputs.


I can't reccomend the DFGT enough, I got mine for £85 (around that) in 2010 and it still works & feels like I got it out the box yesterday. Personally I find the flappy paddles ok, easy enough to reach and seem to have a satisfying sound when you change gear.

Just out of interest what are your settings for F1 2012? I haven't got mine to hand but would be intrested to see someone else's settings.


I got a baseline from this codies forum thread: http://community.codemasters.com/t5/F1- ... d-p/174170

At the moment, I've tweaked it to this:(although I play on PC, so might be different on consoles)

In game
Steering saturation: 51%
(everything else the same)


FFB

Environmental strength: 20%
FFB Strength: 90%
Wheel weight: 40%


[b]Logitech Profiler[/b]

Degrees of Rotation: 271 degrees.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 9:03 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Jun 30, 2013 2:10 pm
Posts: 351
I'm above average..My 1st season was in a Williams at professional difficulty..finished 4th on the table ..got a Lotus contract replacing Kimi, (for some reasons Romain didn't have a single DNF in a whole season can you believe this ? :nod: ).
I give up with the Career..now I'm wasting my time in loby's with rammers , cheaters , fair drivers and so on.

F1 2013 looks promising , but knowing Cody , I bet a lot of bugs will appear after it's launch.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 7:50 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat Oct 30, 2010 4:14 pm
Posts: 2033
Location: South Yorkshire
huggybear wrote:
Robbo-92 wrote:
huggybear wrote:
The Logitech DFGT is a good wheel that isn't too expensive if you shop around. CEX in the UK are selling it for £50 online. Flappy paddles are a bit rubbish on it, but other than that, great wheel.

Also, with F1 2012 it takes a hell of a lot of tweaking to get it feeling right. Straight out of the box it will have have a massive deadzone that makes turning more about watching the car than your natural inputs.


I can't reccomend the DFGT enough, I got mine for £85 (around that) in 2010 and it still works & feels like I got it out the box yesterday. Personally I find the flappy paddles ok, easy enough to reach and seem to have a satisfying sound when you change gear.

Just out of interest what are your settings for F1 2012? I haven't got mine to hand but would be intrested to see someone else's settings.


I got a baseline from this codies forum thread: http://community.codemasters.com/t5/F1- ... d-p/174170

At the moment, I've tweaked it to this:(although I play on PC, so might be different on consoles)

In game
Steering saturation: 51%
(everything else the same)


FFB

Environmental strength: 20%
FFB Strength: 90%
Wheel weight: 40%


[b]Logitech Profiler[/b]

Degrees of Rotation: 271 degrees.


Will give them a go, the only problem being that you can set your degrees of rotation, on the ps3 the wheel used to be locked to 270 (i think it was 270 anyway) but then code.asters released a patch opening the full 900 degrees of rotation, since then it hasn't felt as good to play with the wheel.

_________________
Team Vettel, Ricciardo, Bottas and Button.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 11:00 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Sep 05, 2012 10:57 am
Posts: 229
Thank god for this thread! I still play the game and would up for some clean races soon on PlayStation add me: Quasar100
Also play GT5 just can't get enough of the racing gamea. Especially now as formula one is on summer break. Ill post some lap times up tonight.

Look forward to some races!

_________________
Scuderia Ferrari


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 11:01 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Sep 05, 2012 10:57 am
Posts: 229
People using a steering wheel, how much can you improve your laptime by?

_________________
Scuderia Ferrari


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 1:27 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Dec 05, 2012 2:48 pm
Posts: 123
ScuderiaFerrari wrote:
Thank god for this thread! I still play the game and would up for some clean races soon on PlayStation add me: Quasar100
Also play GT5 just can't get enough of the racing gamea. Especially now as formula one is on summer break. Ill post some lap times up tonight.

Look forward to some races!


:thumbup:

_________________
F1 fan since 97...
Kimi Raikkonen
Fernando Alonso :D
Lewis Hamilton :D
--------------------------------------------------


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 2:09 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Dec 12, 2011 8:25 am
Posts: 2250
Location: Paddock
ScuderiaFerrari wrote:
People using a steering wheel, how much can you improve your laptime by?


I play with a group of people online, and the ones using steering wheel ALWAYS go faster than me on the fast corners (I use a controller). They simply have more steering capacity with the wheel. Therefore you can improve laptimes quite a lot, but I would say it's harder to go fast with the wheel, but maybe it's just me, that I use a controller since GT1/PS1 :D


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 3:09 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat May 03, 2008 7:06 pm
Posts: 743
minchy wrote:
Robbo-92 wrote:
Yep, small errors like that massively spoil the game for me, it's their 3rd attempt at an F1 game on the current formats, not their first so these errors shouldn't be apparent. I hope F1 2013 is (relatively) bug free on release.

you can almost guarantee it won't be, they a lit of the same bugs in a lot of their games using the same game engine, so there's not much point in expecting it to be bug free even after a couple of patches. Grid 2 didn't have too many bugs (even though there was a massive patch recently) but I don't know if it's a new game engine or an updated one? Either way, I the game feels so different to every other game they've done, I wouldn't know how versatile the engines physics are as it plays more like Ridge Racer than anything else!

Difficulty wise, I find it's the same in every racing game, too hard or too easy. Not played f1 2012, but I remember in '10 and '11 I could go from qualifying a HRT on pole and dominating to not being any higher than 17th or so on legend with a Red Bull, but still being able to do well in the race. The AI just seemed so inconsistent and hadn't been improved on in their past 3 attempts I didn't bother with '12.

I played 2010 loads, but mainly online and found that playing with other people who raced 'properly' in private matches (even if they were loads better than me) was much more fun than playing the main games career. About 6 of us used to do a half distance GP every other night and keep a points tally ourselves. Maybe it would be worth doing the same with 2013 for xbox, ps3 and PC with gamers from this forum if there are enough players up for it?

I think it's really clear that Codemasters turned a lot of people away with their first two games (2010 and 2011). Which is a shame because 2012 is actually a very good, I would say emulation of F1 and I think is pretty much the game the developers wanted to make at first.

I think a lot of the problems came from using an engine not meant for F1. Despite skipping 2009 it's obvious that the 2010 game was not ready for release. There was a lot of good ideas in there, but the lack of good basics in the game meant that it didn't count for much. The handling was not great, you pretty much could not correct the car at all and the ai was extremely bad as well as the frame rate. The ai was so bad not only were they horribly slow, but they couldn't even drive consistent laps. The 2011 game I believe was a big, big improvement. The handling whilst a little drifty was much better, the ai was hugely improved although they braked very early for corners. It wasn't perfect but it was finally heading in the right direction.

And for 2012 they really built on that and got a lot more of the basics right. The handling is much more realistic, the ai is quite fast (although does need more difficulty levels) and is crucially consistent from track to track which is important for keeping the immersion. I'm sure there are bugs but I havn't come across a game breaker yet. What I think was a big mistake was taking away a lot of the players options though like the ability to do a custom gp season outside of career, and the strange decision to remove scaled tyre wear. But on a whole I think 2012 provides a good F1 experience.

Saying that I think to get the most out of these games you need to be pretty good at them. Really though its just a matter of putting the laps in to improve, your body will naturally refine and develop the skills.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 3:12 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Sep 05, 2012 10:57 am
Posts: 229
RacingFan1 wrote:
ScuderiaFerrari wrote:
People using a steering wheel, how much can you improve your laptime by?


I play with a group of people online, and the ones using steering wheel ALWAYS go faster than me on the fast corners (I use a controller). They simply have more steering capacity with the wheel. Therefore you can improve laptimes quite a lot, but I would say it's harder to go fast with the wheel, but maybe it's just me, that I use a controller since GT1/PS1 :D


Yeah, I am thinkifng of getting one for the new F1 game and obviously GT5.
Good to know you use a controller as do I. Lets race! Add me.

_________________
Scuderia Ferrari


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group