planetf1.com

It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 12:50 am

All times are UTC




Post new topic Reply to topic
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Another Fantasy Game
PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 11:33 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Sep 16, 2015 3:45 am
Posts: 508
Location: Michigan, USA
Nice analysis! :thumbup: Not so good a result for me, obviously, but in the first half of the race things looked like they could've gone very differently... so I still have hope for better points the rest of the season. Picking Ferrari over Mercedes was always going to be a risky strategy, but I'm starting to suspect that banking on Renault over Haas is going to hurt me more than I expected.

_________________
Top Three: 5 wins, 17 podiums | 2016: 9th [6th] | 2017: 16th [6th]
Pick 10: 1 win, 4 podiums | 2016: 22nd | 2017: 23rd
F1 Oracle: 5 wins | 2016: 6th | 2017: 6th
Group Pick'em: 2 wins, 5 podiums | 2016: 14th | 2017: 12th


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Another Fantasy Game
PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 3:53 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Feb 29, 2012 5:47 pm
Posts: 2638
Remmirath wrote:
Nice analysis! :thumbup: Not so good a result for me, obviously, but in the first half of the race things looked like they could've gone very differently... so I still have hope for better points the rest of the season. Picking Ferrari over Mercedes was always going to be a risky strategy, but I'm starting to suspect that banking on Renault over Haas is going to hurt me more than I expected.


I'm not sure what to make of Haas. They were nowhere in quali, but that could simply have been due to the format itself. Grosjean's fastest lap in the race was pretty slow, but then again being on the slowest compound for as long as he was (coupled with driving the race he was) it's hard to expect anything more. He kept ahead of Hulk without too much drama but then again Hulk was running the same strategy, as was Bottas who ended up behind them both. At the same time, Magnussen was generally lapping quicker than Grosjean over the last 20 laps of the race on the same tyre strategy. So in closing: who knows?!

_________________
Cheering for: Massa, Hulkenberg, Vandoorne
Pick 10 | 1 win, 8 podiums
2017: 7th | 2016: 8th | 2015: 2nd | 2014: 15th | 2013: 17th | 2012: 11th


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Another Fantasy Game
PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 4:12 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu May 23, 2013 1:05 pm
Posts: 6719
Jenson's Understeer wrote:
Remmirath wrote:
Nice analysis! :thumbup: Not so good a result for me, obviously, but in the first half of the race things looked like they could've gone very differently... so I still have hope for better points the rest of the season. Picking Ferrari over Mercedes was always going to be a risky strategy, but I'm starting to suspect that banking on Renault over Haas is going to hurt me more than I expected.


I'm not sure what to make of Haas. They were nowhere in quali, but that could simply have been due to the format itself. Grosjean's fastest lap in the race was pretty slow, but then again being on the slowest compound for as long as he was (coupled with driving the race he was) it's hard to expect anything more. He kept ahead of Hulk without too much drama but then again Hulk was running the same strategy, as was Bottas who ended up behind them both. At the same time, Magnussen was generally lapping quicker than Grosjean over the last 20 laps of the race on the same tyre strategy. So in closing: who knows?!

Both Grosjean and Gutierrez were on a lap good enough to get out of Q3 if memory serves. They just ran out of time to set the lap.

I can't remember which driver it was but I recall them being 1.2 seconds up on the time they needed after the second sector!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Another Fantasy Game
PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 6:40 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Aug 23, 2012 4:14 pm
Posts: 575
Location: Athens, Greece
Black_Flag_11 wrote:
Jenson's Understeer wrote:
Remmirath wrote:
Nice analysis! :thumbup: Not so good a result for me, obviously, but in the first half of the race things looked like they could've gone very differently... so I still have hope for better points the rest of the season. Picking Ferrari over Mercedes was always going to be a risky strategy, but I'm starting to suspect that banking on Renault over Haas is going to hurt me more than I expected.


I'm not sure what to make of Haas. They were nowhere in quali, but that could simply have been due to the format itself. Grosjean's fastest lap in the race was pretty slow, but then again being on the slowest compound for as long as he was (coupled with driving the race he was) it's hard to expect anything more. He kept ahead of Hulk without too much drama but then again Hulk was running the same strategy, as was Bottas who ended up behind them both. At the same time, Magnussen was generally lapping quicker than Grosjean over the last 20 laps of the race on the same tyre strategy. So in closing: who knows?!

Both Grosjean and Gutierrez were on a lap good enough to get out of Q3 if memory serves. They just ran out of time to set the lap.

I can't remember which driver it was but I recall them being 1.2 seconds up on the time they needed after the second sector!


It was Gutierrez i read somewhere that he completed the lap and that was good enough for P8 in Q1, although lots of drivers didn't drive for a second lap.

Also Magnussen's Best lap was 0.41 faster than that of Grosjean, while Palmer's was 0.093 slower.

_________________
Top 10 Competition
2016: 12th, Podiums: 2nd Great Britain

Top 3 Competition
2016: 5th, Wins in: Spain, 1st Great Britain

F1 Oracle 2016: 2nd, Wins in: Australia, Russia, Canada, Great Britain

Group Pick'em 6th, Podiums: 2nd Monaco


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Another Fantasy Game
PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 4:25 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Feb 29, 2012 5:47 pm
Posts: 2638
If anyone fancies using a joker (or jokers) in Bahrain then you've got until midday GMT on Friday (that's 44 hours and 35 minutes from now for those of you in different timezones) to say so in this thread.

_________________
Cheering for: Massa, Hulkenberg, Vandoorne
Pick 10 | 1 win, 8 podiums
2017: 7th | 2016: 8th | 2015: 2nd | 2014: 15th | 2013: 17th | 2012: 11th


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Another Fantasy Game
PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 11:07 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon May 31, 2010 10:02 am
Posts: 861
Location: Far side of Koozebane
Play 1st joker please.

Button in - Alonso out.

_________________
Never judge a man until you've walked a mile in his shoes. That way when you do judge him, you're a mile away, and you have his shoes.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Another Fantasy Game
PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 11:37 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Feb 29, 2012 5:47 pm
Posts: 2638
Jezza13 wrote:
Play 1st joker please.

Button in - Alonso out.


I wonder if you're misunderstanding how the jokers work... they are used in addition to the driver you originally selected. So if you selected Alonso* then you still score points for Alonso, but would also get the additional bonus of anything Button scores for the race in which you use the joker. If you want to change your mind then say so in this thread before FP1 begins, otherwise I'll assume you still want to use that joker on Button.

* and just to clarify, with Alonso being replaced by Vandoorne for (at least) this race, anybody who selected Alonso will score whatever points Vandoorne scores. And if anybody wants to use Vandoorne as their joker, they are welcome to do so.

_________________
Cheering for: Massa, Hulkenberg, Vandoorne
Pick 10 | 1 win, 8 podiums
2017: 7th | 2016: 8th | 2015: 2nd | 2014: 15th | 2013: 17th | 2012: 11th


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Another Fantasy Game
PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 11:57 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon May 31, 2010 10:02 am
Posts: 861
Location: Far side of Koozebane
Jenson's Understeer wrote:
Jezza13 wrote:
Play 1st joker please.

Button in - Alonso out.


I wonder if you're misunderstanding how the jokers work... they are used in addition to the driver you originally selected. So if you selected Alonso* then you still score points for Alonso, but would also get the additional bonus of anything Button scores for the race in which you use the joker. If you want to change your mind then say so in this thread before FP1 begins, otherwise I'll assume you still want to use that joker on Button.

* and just to clarify, with Alonso being replaced by Vandoorne for (at least) this race, anybody who selected Alonso will score whatever points Vandoorne scores. And if anybody wants to use Vandoorne as their joker, they are welcome to do so.


You wonder correctly.

Scrub the joker

_________________
Never judge a man until you've walked a mile in his shoes. That way when you do judge him, you're a mile away, and you have his shoes.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Another Fantasy Game
PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 4:32 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Feb 23, 2014 3:53 am
Posts: 4408
Location: Michigan, USA
I'm starting to suspect those of us who picked Renault over Haas have a long season ahead of us...

:-P

_________________
PF1 Pick 10 Competition
2017: Don't Ask| 2016: 3rd| 2015: 4th
Wins: 3 | Podiums: 11

PF1 Top Three Constructor's Championship
2015 (No Limit Excedrin Racing): CHAMPIONS


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Another Fantasy Game
PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 6:15 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Feb 29, 2012 5:47 pm
Posts: 2638
Image
Bahrain Grand Prix update

Mercedes' Nico Rosberg made it two wins from two races in a race that, at the front at least, was pretty much settled after the first lap. His two biggest challengers saw their hopes figuratively and literally go up in smoke before the action had reached the second corner, leaving Nico needing to do no more than maintain a decent gap to Kimi Raikkonen in order to pick up his fifth successive F1 win. But while Rosberg won again, could Jezza13 duplicate his success or did a different name win round two here? Let's find out!

Image
The champagne moment

Having finished as the runner-up in the opening round, TypingChicane climbed a step higher on the podium securing their first top step appearance of the season. Their 140 points - 25 more than the amount that secured victory for Australia - for the win came from a combination of popular choices (Mercedes, Raikkonen and Hamilton) as well as bolder picks (Verstappen, Grosjean, Red Bull, Toro Rosso and Haas). Meanwhile it was another good race for Jezza13 who, in spite of failing to repeat their victory in Australia, did find themselves on the podium for the second race in succession. Is it a coincidence that the two participants who picked Haas have filled the top two steps on the podium so far? Once again there were four of us on the podium; I can say 'us' because standing alongside Exediron on the bottom step is none other than Jenson's Understeer. 108 points was just enough to claim third place.

TypingChicane - 140
Jezza13 - 112
Exediron and Jenson's Understeer - 108

Image
Because we can't all be winners

Four points were all that Hamilton_Jar and Herb were shy of claiming their own debuts on the podium, with Schumacher forever#1 and Icemanjee1 also breaking the 100-point barrier for the round. Whilst the first round saw a mere 15 points separate second from top to second from bottom, the rest of the pack is strung out a little more this time around. Indeed, three participants failed to score more than 80 points, although Remmirath will probably be the happiest (or should that be least unhappy?) of them after such a poor first round.

In terms of some individual selections, Icemanjee1 might be a little aggrieved that despite being the only person to select Rosberg, a podium finish still eludes them. Elsewhere Mayhem and Coulthard's Chin will still be kicking themselves for electing to pick Bottas rather than Raikkonen, and in the battle at McLaren, everybody who went for Alonso rather than Button scores a point courtesy of the Spaniard's replacement in Bahrain, Stoffel Vandoorne. Which, I'm sure, is exactly what we all had in mind when we opted for Alonso!

Hamilton_Jar and Herb - 104
Schumacher forever#1 - 102
Icemanjee1 - 101
Fountoukos13 and theferret - 92
Mayhem - 86
Remmirath - 78
Black_Flag_11 - 77
Coulthard's Chin - 75

Image
Jokers update

Jezza13 thought about using one on Jenson Button but ultimately elected not to, a wise move considering the Briton failed to make it to the end of the race. With two races down and more knowledge about the pecking order, could we see more activity on this front for China? There Haas to be someone thinking about a joker, right? ;)

Image
Spare a thought for...

Coulthard's Chin. No, not his actual chin, but the PF1 member going by that username. As one of only two to pick both Hamilton and Bottas (Mayhem being the other, but they also went for Grosjean so escapes this particular indignity for now) they saw a potentially strong points score evaporate as the Williams clattered into the Mercedes, costing the former a drive-through and compromising the latter's race. Coulthard's Chin was also one of just two to select Jenson Button, was one of half the field to pick Sergio Perez, and also chose Magnussen, Nasr, Force India and Renault, all of whom picked up no points. 75 points almost seems like an achievement in itself with all of that in mind!

Overall standings after Australia

TypingChicane - 245
Jezza13 - 227
Schumacher forever#1 - 203
Hamilton_Jar and Icemanjee1 - 201
Exediron and Jenson’s Understeer - 199
Herb - 195
Fountoukos13, Mayhem and the ferret - 191
Coulthard’s Chin - 172
Black_Flag_11 - 167
Remmirath - 140

TypingChicane's impressive victory allows them to leapfrog Jezza13 and take over the lead, opening up an 18-point advantage in the process. It isn't all bad news for Jezza13 as a second successive podium allows them to pull clear of Schumacher forever#1 in third by 24 points. Just 12 points cover 3rd through to 11th. Mayhem is the big loser of the round, having being tied for second place after round one but now plummeting down the order after a poor showing in Bahrain. The bottom two remain the same, although Remmirath has at least closed the gap to Black_Flag_11 by a single point. At that rate they'll be off the bottom sometime in the middle of the 2017 season! :lol:

_________________
Cheering for: Massa, Hulkenberg, Vandoorne
Pick 10 | 1 win, 8 podiums
2017: 7th | 2016: 8th | 2015: 2nd | 2014: 15th | 2013: 17th | 2012: 11th


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Another Fantasy Game
PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 6:51 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Feb 27, 2016 1:04 pm
Posts: 421
Second in Australia, winner in Bahrain, I'm not complaining. :D

But... It's only two races out of 21... the season is very long... in F1 anything can happen... I don't think of the championship yet... etc...

I find it amusing that at the moment I lead the competition you're organizing, while you lead the competition that I'm hosting.

_________________
PF1 forum games
Pick 10 2016: 2nd [3 wins]. 2017: 2nd [1 win].
F1 Oracle 2016: 3rd [4 wins]. 2017: 1st [6 wins].
Top Three 2016: 14th. 2017: 1st [4 wins].
Group Pick'em 2016: 3rd [4 wins]. 2017: 1st [5 wins].


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Another Fantasy Game
PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 7:15 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Sep 16, 2015 3:45 am
Posts: 508
Location: Michigan, USA
Despite a rather poor start to the season, I'm convinced that things will be looking up for me soon. After all, sooner or later, both Ferraris will have to finish the race ...right? :uhoh:

I'm thinking Renault instead of Haas was the single worst choice I made at this point. I've still got hope that McLaren will pick it up later in the season, but that's probably not happening with Renault. If I continue to prop up the back end this season, I'll take a page out of Red Bull's book from last year and blame them. :-P

_________________
Top Three: 5 wins, 17 podiums | 2016: 9th [6th] | 2017: 16th [6th]
Pick 10: 1 win, 4 podiums | 2016: 22nd | 2017: 23rd
F1 Oracle: 5 wins | 2016: 6th | 2017: 6th
Group Pick'em: 2 wins, 5 podiums | 2016: 14th | 2017: 12th


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Another Fantasy Game
PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 7:29 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Feb 29, 2012 5:47 pm
Posts: 2638
Remmirath wrote:
Despite a rather poor start to the season, I'm convinced that things will be looking up for me soon. After all, sooner or later, both Ferraris will have to finish the race ...right? :uhoh:

I'm thinking Renault instead of Haas was the single worst choice I made at this point. I've still got hope that McLaren will pick it up later in the season, but that's probably not happening with Renault. If I continue to prop up the back end this season, I'll take a page out of Red Bull's book from last year and blame them. :-P


Renault instead of Haas looks like a terrible mistake by all but two of us. It's sort of difficult to foresee Renault scoring 18 points over the rest of the season, let alone 18 plus whatever else Haas score. The one positive is that only two people picked Haas (so most of us are on a level playing field in that sense) but that those two also picked Grosjean is where they're really doing the damage. Although to be fair that does a disservice to TypingChicane, who right now only hasn't picked the highest scoring driver/team so far in one category (Hamilton instead of Rosberg).

TypingChicane wrote:
I find it amusing that at the moment I lead the competition you're organizing, while you lead the competition that I'm hosting.


It is quite amusing, and definitely nothing more than an honest coincidence. That was what we agreed to tell anyone who asked, right? :lol:

_________________
Cheering for: Massa, Hulkenberg, Vandoorne
Pick 10 | 1 win, 8 podiums
2017: 7th | 2016: 8th | 2015: 2nd | 2014: 15th | 2013: 17th | 2012: 11th


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Another Fantasy Game
PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 8:15 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Feb 23, 2014 3:53 am
Posts: 4408
Location: Michigan, USA
Jenson's Understeer wrote:
Renault instead of Haas looks like a terrible mistake by all but two of us. It's sort of difficult to foresee Renault scoring 18 points over the rest of the season, let alone 18 plus whatever else Haas score. The one positive is that only two people picked Haas (so most of us are on a level playing field in that sense) but that those two also picked Grosjean is where they're really doing the damage. Although to be fair that does a disservice to TypingChicane, who right now only hasn't picked the highest scoring driver/team so far in one category (Hamilton instead of Rosberg).

The ones it hurts worst for are those who were so confident Renault would be the superior team, they picked both Renault drivers as well as the team.

x(

_________________
PF1 Pick 10 Competition
2017: Don't Ask| 2016: 3rd| 2015: 4th
Wins: 3 | Podiums: 11

PF1 Top Three Constructor's Championship
2015 (No Limit Excedrin Racing): CHAMPIONS


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Another Fantasy Game
PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 8:45 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Feb 29, 2012 5:47 pm
Posts: 2638
Exediron wrote:
Jenson's Understeer wrote:
Renault instead of Haas looks like a terrible mistake by all but two of us. It's sort of difficult to foresee Renault scoring 18 points over the rest of the season, let alone 18 plus whatever else Haas score. The one positive is that only two people picked Haas (so most of us are on a level playing field in that sense) but that those two also picked Grosjean is where they're really doing the damage. Although to be fair that does a disservice to TypingChicane, who right now only hasn't picked the highest scoring driver/team so far in one category (Hamilton instead of Rosberg).

The ones it hurts worst for are those who were so confident Renault would be the superior team, they picked both Renault drivers as well as the team.

x(


To be fair, those seven people are going to look really, really smart when Renault introduce their engine upgrade and leap up the field. I'm sure those smart people factored that into their decision. Plus we - I mean, they - can at least take solace in our - er, their - selections looking really, really pretty while not scoring points.

x(

_________________
Cheering for: Massa, Hulkenberg, Vandoorne
Pick 10 | 1 win, 8 podiums
2017: 7th | 2016: 8th | 2015: 2nd | 2014: 15th | 2013: 17th | 2012: 11th


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Another Fantasy Game
PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 9:45 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu May 23, 2013 1:05 pm
Posts: 6719
Exediron wrote:
Jenson's Understeer wrote:
Renault instead of Haas looks like a terrible mistake by all but two of us. It's sort of difficult to foresee Renault scoring 18 points over the rest of the season, let alone 18 plus whatever else Haas score. The one positive is that only two people picked Haas (so most of us are on a level playing field in that sense) but that those two also picked Grosjean is where they're really doing the damage. Although to be fair that does a disservice to TypingChicane, who right now only hasn't picked the highest scoring driver/team so far in one category (Hamilton instead of Rosberg).

The ones it hurts worst for are those who were so confident Renault would be the superior team, they picked both Renault drivers as well as the team.

x(

Pfft fools...

Image
https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=hidin ... eL-bXZM%3A


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Another Fantasy Game
PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 6:47 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon May 31, 2010 10:02 am
Posts: 861
Location: Far side of Koozebane
Should we give this game an official name instead of "Another Fantasy Game"?

BTW - Good work TC. Just too strong this week

_________________
Never judge a man until you've walked a mile in his shoes. That way when you do judge him, you're a mile away, and you have his shoes.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Another Fantasy Game
PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 1:21 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Feb 27, 2016 1:04 pm
Posts: 421
Jezza13 wrote:
Should we give this game an official name instead of "Another Fantasy Game"?

Second that. I'm having difficulties putting "1st predictor in Another Fantasy Game" in my signature. :)
Jezza13 wrote:
BTW - Good work TC. Just too strong this week

Cheers. These double Haas points are a nice bonus. I don't think they will continue like this however. But even picking up lowly points from now on will add up nicely over the course of the season.

_________________
PF1 forum games
Pick 10 2016: 2nd [3 wins]. 2017: 2nd [1 win].
F1 Oracle 2016: 3rd [4 wins]. 2017: 1st [6 wins].
Top Three 2016: 14th. 2017: 1st [4 wins].
Group Pick'em 2016: 3rd [4 wins]. 2017: 1st [5 wins].


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Another Fantasy Game
PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 2:02 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Feb 29, 2012 5:47 pm
Posts: 2638
36 hours until FP1 begins, so 36 hours left to declare any joker usage. I, myself, am tempted...

TypingChicane wrote:
Jezza13 wrote:
Should we give this game an official name instead of "Another Fantasy Game"?

Second that. I'm having difficulties putting "1st predictor in Another Fantasy Game" in my signature. :)


I'm open to suggestions on that front. Something involving the word 'group' would be good!

_________________
Cheering for: Massa, Hulkenberg, Vandoorne
Pick 10 | 1 win, 8 podiums
2017: 7th | 2016: 8th | 2015: 2nd | 2014: 15th | 2013: 17th | 2012: 11th


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Another Fantasy Game
PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 7:41 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Feb 23, 2014 3:53 am
Posts: 4408
Location: Michigan, USA
Jenson's Understeer wrote:
36 hours until FP1 begins, so 36 hours left to declare any joker usage. I, myself, am tempted...

One of the two of us will need to blink at some point - we seem to have identical picks, so this will be the battle of the jokers! :lol:

_________________
PF1 Pick 10 Competition
2017: Don't Ask| 2016: 3rd| 2015: 4th
Wins: 3 | Podiums: 11

PF1 Top Three Constructor's Championship
2015 (No Limit Excedrin Racing): CHAMPIONS


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Another Fantasy Game
PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 6:46 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon May 31, 2010 10:02 am
Posts: 861
Location: Far side of Koozebane
How bout this name for lack of a better alternative?

Jenson's Understeer Group Game - Season 2016

or

J.U.G.G.S 2016 for short

_________________
Never judge a man until you've walked a mile in his shoes. That way when you do judge him, you're a mile away, and you have his shoes.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Another Fantasy Game
PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 10:50 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Feb 29, 2012 5:47 pm
Posts: 2638
I'm going to use one of my jokers on Nico Rosberg this weekend.

_________________
Cheering for: Massa, Hulkenberg, Vandoorne
Pick 10 | 1 win, 8 podiums
2017: 7th | 2016: 8th | 2015: 2nd | 2014: 15th | 2013: 17th | 2012: 11th


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Another Fantasy Game
PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 12:48 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Feb 23, 2014 3:53 am
Posts: 4408
Location: Michigan, USA
Wet qualifying, Hamilton starting outside the top five...

I'm going to use one of my jokers on Sebastian Vettel! Bet you didn't see that coming! Game on, Jenson's Understeer! :o

_________________
PF1 Pick 10 Competition
2017: Don't Ask| 2016: 3rd| 2015: 4th
Wins: 3 | Podiums: 11

PF1 Top Three Constructor's Championship
2015 (No Limit Excedrin Racing): CHAMPIONS


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Another Fantasy Game
PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 6:40 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Feb 29, 2012 5:47 pm
Posts: 2638
Exediron wrote:
Wet qualifying, Hamilton starting outside the top five...

I'm going to use one of my jokers on Sebastian Vettel! Bet you didn't see that coming! Game on, Jenson's Understeer! :o


Two people opted to use a joker this round, Exediron and Jenson's Understeer, something that had the potential to be truly decisive as they had picked exactly the same team. Exediron went bold by selecting Sebastian Vettel whilst Jenson's Understeer appeared to play it safe by selecting Championship leader Nico Rosberg. But both were left to curse their luck after the two Germans came together on the first lap, eliminating both in the process and demonstrating how quickly a joker selection can backfire.

(I thought I'd just go ahead and type that up now to save myself having to write it after the weekend :lol: )

_________________
Cheering for: Massa, Hulkenberg, Vandoorne
Pick 10 | 1 win, 8 podiums
2017: 7th | 2016: 8th | 2015: 2nd | 2014: 15th | 2013: 17th | 2012: 11th


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Another Fantasy Game
PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 6:33 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Feb 29, 2012 5:47 pm
Posts: 2638
Image
Chinese Grand Prix update

In the latest race in the 2016 Formula One season, Nico Rosberg comfortably took victory while teammate Lewis Hamilton was playing damage limitation from the first corner, and Ferrari failed to maximise their result. Seeing as you could apply that same sentence to every race so far this season, I should probably specify that this is the Chinese GP that we're talking about. But whose pre-season picks might Sebastian Vettel label as "suicidal" and who soared up the rankings "like a torpedo"? Let's find out!

Image
The champagne moment

Much like Nico Rosberg, TypingChicane keeps up their perfect record with another podium finish. But it was not to be two victories from three weekends as none other than Jenson's Understeer kept them from the top step, finishing the round as the only person to reach triple figures with a season-low winning score of 103 points. TypingChicane was joined on the second step of the podium by Exediron as both participants scored 96 points. And having made a sluggish (and that's being kind!) start to the season, Remmirath puts together their best result of the season to take third place, missing out on a share of second by a single point. It was the jokers that made the difference this round - Jenson's Understeer and Exediron going for Rosberg and Vettel respectively and gaining a huge boost as a result. Neither would have made the podium without those extra points, although Exediron might be left cursing their decision to throw the form book out the window and select the German in the red car rather than the one in the silver car!

Jenson's Understeer - 103
Exediron and TypingChicane - 96
Remmirath - 95

Image
Because we can't all be winners

Those on the podium enjoyed a decent gap back to their nearest competitors, headed up by Icemanjee1, who themselves had Hamilton_Jar and Herb nipping at their heels. Second and third in the championship, Jezza13 and Schumacher forever#1, both collected just 68 points. Coulthard's Chin and Mayhem posted the worst individual score of the season, lowering the bar Remmirath had set pretty damn low in race one by a further three points to 59. With popular picks such as Hamilton (selected by all but three teams), Perez/Hulkenberg (again, selected by all but three teams), Williams (chosen by all but four teams) and Force India (once again chosen by all but four teams) all having tough weekends it was perhaps not surprising that the scores would be so low across the board.

Icemanjee1 - 87
Hamilton_Jar and Herb - 86
Black_Flag_11 - 80
Fountoukos13, Jezza13, Schumacher forever#1 and theferret - 68
Coulthard’s Chin and Mayhem - 59

Image
Jokers update

Jenson's Understeer and Exediron were the first to blink with their driver group A jokers, burning them on race winner Nico Rosberg and runner-up Sebastian Vettel. It allowed both to steal a podium (and, indeed, a race victory in the case of Jenson's Understeer) from what would otherwise have been a pretty average result. It goes to show what a difference the jokers can make; whether it will spark a flood of them for the next race in Russia remains to be seen!

Image
Spare a thought for...

Most teams, to be honest! As mentioned, it was a particularly low-scoring round which saw many entrants recorded their worst individual score of the season. Only Jenson's Understeer, TypingChicane, Remmirath and Black_Flag_11 avoided that particular indignity. It's hard to really single out one team but having posted the worst score in the three rounds thus far, you would have to say that Mayhem and Coulthard's Chin (again!) most deserve your sympathy/mocking/rotten tomatoes.

Overall standings after China

TypingChicane - 341
Jenson’s Understeer - 302
Exediron and Jezza13 - 295
Icemanjee1 - 288
Hamilton_Jar - 287
Herb - 281
Schumacher forever#1 - 271
Fountoukos13 and the ferret - 259
Mayhem - 250
Black_Flag_11 - 247
Remmirath - 235
Coulthard’s Chin - 231

TypingChicane, by virtue of a third successive podium finish, more than doubles their lead atop the standings from 18 to 39 points*. Jenson's Understeer torpedoes up from a share of 6th to 2nd overall, while Jezza13 drops from being TypingChicane's nearest challenger to sharing 3rd with Exediron. Icemanjee1, Hamilton_Jar and Herb all continue to hang around just outside the top positions, posting consistent scores despite failing to claim a single race podium between them. And at the bottom, Remmirath's podium has helped them not just catch the tail-end of the field but jump above it, climbing out of the basement and demoting Coulthard's Chin in the process.

Onto Russia with love!

* - it also continues the ironic situation where we are top of each other's games on this forum :lol:

_________________
Cheering for: Massa, Hulkenberg, Vandoorne
Pick 10 | 1 win, 8 podiums
2017: 7th | 2016: 8th | 2015: 2nd | 2014: 15th | 2013: 17th | 2012: 11th


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Another Fantasy Game
PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 8:15 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Sep 16, 2015 3:45 am
Posts: 508
Location: Michigan, USA
Yes, all right! Podium and no longer the absolute bottom of the heap! :D (We'll see how long this lasts.)

_________________
Top Three: 5 wins, 17 podiums | 2016: 9th [6th] | 2017: 16th [6th]
Pick 10: 1 win, 4 podiums | 2016: 22nd | 2017: 23rd
F1 Oracle: 5 wins | 2016: 6th | 2017: 6th
Group Pick'em: 2 wins, 5 podiums | 2016: 14th | 2017: 12th


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Another Fantasy Game
PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 5:06 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Feb 27, 2016 1:04 pm
Posts: 421
Amusing write-up!
Have to say, this is looking good for me. Without the jokers (well played!) it would have been two wins in a row. But let's not get too greedy! :smug:

_________________
PF1 forum games
Pick 10 2016: 2nd [3 wins]. 2017: 2nd [1 win].
F1 Oracle 2016: 3rd [4 wins]. 2017: 1st [6 wins].
Top Three 2016: 14th. 2017: 1st [4 wins].
Group Pick'em 2016: 3rd [4 wins]. 2017: 1st [5 wins].


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Another Fantasy Game
PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 6:28 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon May 31, 2010 10:02 am
Posts: 861
Location: Far side of Koozebane
Ouch.

That round was painful.


Quote:
How bout this name for lack of a better alternative?

Jenson's Understeer Group Game - Season 2016

or

J.U.G.G.S 2016 for short


BTW - No takers for this name then I assume ?

_________________
Never judge a man until you've walked a mile in his shoes. That way when you do judge him, you're a mile away, and you have his shoes.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Another Fantasy Game
PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 10:03 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat Feb 27, 2016 1:04 pm
Posts: 421
Jenson's Understeer wrote:
TypingChicane wrote:
Jezza13 wrote:
Should we give this game an official name instead of "Another Fantasy Game"?

Second that. I'm having difficulties putting "1st predictor in Another Fantasy Game" in my signature. :)


I'm open to suggestions on that front. Something involving the word 'group' would be good!

F1 Group Picks Game 2016?

_________________
PF1 forum games
Pick 10 2016: 2nd [3 wins]. 2017: 2nd [1 win].
F1 Oracle 2016: 3rd [4 wins]. 2017: 1st [6 wins].
Top Three 2016: 14th. 2017: 1st [4 wins].
Group Pick'em 2016: 3rd [4 wins]. 2017: 1st [5 wins].


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Another Fantasy Game
PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 1:46 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Feb 29, 2012 5:47 pm
Posts: 2638
I'm leaning towards 'Group Pick'em 2016' or something akin to that. My signature is pretty close to the character limit so something shorter is definitely better!

_________________
Cheering for: Massa, Hulkenberg, Vandoorne
Pick 10 | 1 win, 8 podiums
2017: 7th | 2016: 8th | 2015: 2nd | 2014: 15th | 2013: 17th | 2012: 11th


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Another Fantasy Game
PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 10:22 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Sep 16, 2015 3:45 am
Posts: 508
Location: Michigan, USA
Both Group Picks and Group Pick'em make sense to me. Group Pick'em is catchier, so that's got my vote.

_________________
Top Three: 5 wins, 17 podiums | 2016: 9th [6th] | 2017: 16th [6th]
Pick 10: 1 win, 4 podiums | 2016: 22nd | 2017: 23rd
F1 Oracle: 5 wins | 2016: 6th | 2017: 6th
Group Pick'em: 2 wins, 5 podiums | 2016: 14th | 2017: 12th


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Another Fantasy Game
PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 4:08 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Feb 29, 2012 5:47 pm
Posts: 2638
Image
Russian Grand Prix update

In the latest race in the 2016 Formula One season, Nico Rosberg comfortably took victory while teammate Lewis Hamilton was playing damage limitation from the first corner, and Ferrari failed to maximise their result. Will I ever need to write another opening sentence? Probably, but not quite yet as it was Nico Rosberg who once again took victory. Could the leader of this game, TypingChicane, continue their run of podiums and make it four from four? Or could Jenson's Understeer and the rest of the pack take a bite out of the 39 point advantage? Only one way to find out!

Image
The champagne moment

There might not have been much of a battle for the win on the track but off it, we had ourselves an almighty scrap for the podium places. Remarkably, the top eight for the round were separated by just eight points. Ultimately, it was Schumacher Forever#1 who took their first victory of the season, claiming the spoils with a season-high 126 point performance. Mayhem ran them close, which is not really much of a surprise when you consider both players made exactly the same set of selections minus one key difference: Schumacher Forever#1 opted to pick Kimi Raikkonen and Mayhem took Valtteri Bottas. With the Ferrari coming home one place ahead of the Williams, Schumacher Forever#1 claimed an extra three points to tip the result in their favour. Mayhem finishes runner-up for the second time in the opening four races, whilst behind them there was a tie for third place as Jezza13 and Icemanjee1 - both consistently solid points scorers so far - scored 122 points a piece to take the final podium place. For Icemanjee1's it was a first visit to the podium while Jezza13 became the first entrant to stand on all three steps.

Schumacher Forever#1 - 126
Mayhem - 123
Icemanjee1 and Jezza13 - 122

Image
Because we can't all be winners

As previously mentioned, the top eight for the round were split by just eight points. This is partly down to the fact that Fountoukos13 and theferret, who both scored 120 points, and Exediron and Jenson's Understeer, who finished two points lower on 118, mirrored each other's selections. As none opted to use a joker for the round it meant there was nothing to tell them apart. Also scoring centuries for the race were Coulthard's Chin (112), Black_Flag_11 (104) and Herb (100). It was generally a high scoring round as everybody down to Black_Flag_11 logged a personal best score for the year. Hamilton_Jar fell just short of triple figures with a score of 98. But what of the Championship leader? Well, it was a nightmare round for TypingChicane who finished second last with 92 points. Having scored big with a combination of Haas and Romain Grosjean, this was the first race in which the Kevin Magnussen/Renault combination was the one to have. It may only have cost them four points, but that combined with a number of other non-scorers (Ricciardo, Verstappen, Nasr, Red Bull and Toro Rosso) meant a pretty spectacular end to their run of podiums.

Fountoukos13 and theferret - 120
Exediron and Jenson's Understeer - 118
Coulthard's Chin - 112
Black_Flag_11 - 104
Herb - 100
Hamilton_Jar - 98
TypingChicane - 92
Remmirath - 65

Image
Jokers update

Despite the impact they had in the previous round, nobody chose to use a joker in Russia. Will that change when we get back to Barcelona or will the prospect of a raft of upgrades prevent anybody from taking the plunge? So far only three jokers have been used and they are as follows:

Jenson's Understeer - Driver Group 1 joker on Rosberg in China - 25 points
Exediron - Driver Group 1 joker on Vettel in China - 18 points
Fountoukos13 - Driver Group 6 joker on Nasr in Australia - 0 points

Everybody else has all six of their jokers remaining (one for each driver group category).

Image
Spare a thought for...

Whilst TypingChicane was the only entrant to record their worst score of the season and could theoretically have made their debut in this section, the 92 points they scored still left them 27 points above the entrant who finished a distant, distant last. With more invested in Ferrari's performances than any other entrant, you would have to say that if the writing wasn't on the wall for Remmirath the moment Kvyat hit Seb "in the f**king rear turn two", then it definitely was when Kvyat hit him "in the f**king rear again in turn three". The irony is that the rest of Remmirath's selections all did really well. Perez outscored his group 4 rivals; Alonso outscored Button in group 5; Magnussen and Grosjean were the only two drivers to score from group 6; McLaren outscored Force India and Toro Rosso combined; and Renault, as previously mentioned, out-did Haas. In fact, ignore the points scored in both driver group 1 and team group 1 (so basically removing the Mercedes from the equation) and Remmirath would've shared the round victory with Schumacher Forever#1. Which, thinking about it, just makes Remmirath's second appearance in this section all the more appropriate!

Overall standings after Russia

TypingChicane - 433
Jenson’s Understeer - 420
Jezza13 - 417
Exediron - 413
Icemanjee1 - 410
Schumacher forever#1 - 397
Hamilton_Jar - 385
Herb - 381
Fountoukos13 and the ferret - 379
Mayhem - 373
Black_Flag_11 - 351
Coulthard’s Chin - 343
Remmirath - 300

Despite their worst round of the season, TypingChicane continues to lead the way at the top of the standings. However, 66% of their lead has evaporated as Jenson's Understeer goes from 39 points adrift to just 13. Jezza13 edges clear of Exediron to take sole possession of third overall, a mere three points behind Jenson's Understeer and only 16 back from the lead. Icemanjee1 also benefits from a podium finish, retaining fifth place but edging closer to those above. Schumacher Forever#1 is the big mover of the round, climbing up from eighth to round out the top six. Meanwhile, after one round out of the basement, Remmirath finds themselves back propping the rest of us up. 43 points represents the furthest anyone has been adrift at the bottom of the pack, yet all it would take is for Ferrari to start regularly outscoring Mercedes and Remmirath could still claim a Leicester-esque title win not all that long after looking pretty much doomed. Could such a sequence begin in Barcelona, or will the two Mercs continue to lead the way? We'll find out when the newly renamed Group Pick'em 2016 returns in two week's time!

_________________
Cheering for: Massa, Hulkenberg, Vandoorne
Pick 10 | 1 win, 8 podiums
2017: 7th | 2016: 8th | 2015: 2nd | 2014: 15th | 2013: 17th | 2012: 11th


Last edited by Jenson's Understeer on Wed May 04, 2016 10:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Group Pick'em 2016
PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 5:40 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Feb 27, 2016 1:04 pm
Posts: 421
"Our package is better suited for the next two races." :nod:

_________________
PF1 forum games
Pick 10 2016: 2nd [3 wins]. 2017: 2nd [1 win].
F1 Oracle 2016: 3rd [4 wins]. 2017: 1st [6 wins].
Top Three 2016: 14th. 2017: 1st [4 wins].
Group Pick'em 2016: 3rd [4 wins]. 2017: 1st [5 wins].


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Group Pick'em 2016
PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 7:23 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Sep 16, 2015 3:45 am
Posts: 508
Location: Michigan, USA
Ouch. It's looking like my gamble on Ferrari being more competetive this year was a huge mistake. Err... that is, this wasn't a track that favoured us and maybe good points were never on this weekend, but we expect to do better in the upcoming races. Somehow. Maybe with Jokers, and a lot of luck. :uhoh:

_________________
Top Three: 5 wins, 17 podiums | 2016: 9th [6th] | 2017: 16th [6th]
Pick 10: 1 win, 4 podiums | 2016: 22nd | 2017: 23rd
F1 Oracle: 5 wins | 2016: 6th | 2017: 6th
Group Pick'em: 2 wins, 5 podiums | 2016: 14th | 2017: 12th


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Group Pick'em 2016
PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 9:29 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon May 31, 2010 10:02 am
Posts: 861
Location: Far side of Koozebane
Just hanging in there but unfortunately I think our limited development program is going to see us slip away as the season progresses.

Would it be possible Mr Understeer for a tally to be posted of who has used how many Jokers?

Maybe just a number in brackets next to each players overall score?

_________________
Never judge a man until you've walked a mile in his shoes. That way when you do judge him, you're a mile away, and you have his shoes.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Group Pick'em 2016
PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 10:53 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Feb 29, 2012 5:47 pm
Posts: 2638
Jezza13 wrote:
Just hanging in there but unfortunately I think our limited development program is going to see us slip away as the season progresses.

Would it be possible Mr Understeer for a tally to be posted of who has used how many Jokers?

Maybe just a number in brackets next to each players overall score?


I had actually meant to include that within the jokers section of the results themselves but completely forgot! I'll go back and edit that information in now. Cheers for reminding me :thumbup:

_________________
Cheering for: Massa, Hulkenberg, Vandoorne
Pick 10 | 1 win, 8 podiums
2017: 7th | 2016: 8th | 2015: 2nd | 2014: 15th | 2013: 17th | 2012: 11th


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Group Pick'em 2016
PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 8:54 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Feb 23, 2014 3:53 am
Posts: 4408
Location: Michigan, USA
So how does the Verstappen/Kvyat swap effect this competition? If people didn't previously select either driver it clearly makes no difference, but if you had Verstappen and Ricciardo do you pick which one to keep? If you had just Verstappen, do you automatically get Kvyat now?

_________________
PF1 Pick 10 Competition
2017: Don't Ask| 2016: 3rd| 2015: 4th
Wins: 3 | Podiums: 11

PF1 Top Three Constructor's Championship
2015 (No Limit Excedrin Racing): CHAMPIONS


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Group Pick'em 2016
PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 9:04 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Feb 29, 2012 5:47 pm
Posts: 2638
Exediron wrote:
So how does the Verstappen/Kvyat swap effect this competition? If people didn't previously select either driver it clearly makes no difference, but if you had Verstappen and Ricciardo do you pick which one to keep? If you had just Verstappen, do you automatically get Kvyat now?


Jenson's Understeer wrote:
And just to try and avoid any future arguments, here's a little 'What if...?' section:

One of my selections - let's say Ryo Haryanto - is replaced by another driver? Then you will receive any points scored by the replacement up until the point the original selection returns.
I've selected a driver - say, Max Verstappen - and he replaces another driver - Daniil Kvyat - mid-season? Then you would receive any points scored by Verstappen's replacement as per above. However, if you had also selected Kvyat then you would receive any points Verstappen scored at Red Bull by way of him being Kvyat's replacement. .


So in this scenario, it works as follows:

Verstappen is replacing Kvyat at Red Bull. Therefore anybody who selected Kvyat (which, amusingly, is none of us) would instead score whatever points Verstappen gets at Red Bull.
Kvyat is replacing Verstappen at Toro Rosso. Therefore anybody who selected Verstappen (TypingChicane, Jenson's Understeer and Exediron) will instead score whatever points Kvyat gets at Toro Rosso.

If Red Bull switch them back then everything would revert back accordingly. If Red Bull dropped Kvyat completely - let's say for Gasly - then the three of us who had originally selected Verstappen for Toro Rosso would score whatever points Gasly scored.

_________________
Cheering for: Massa, Hulkenberg, Vandoorne
Pick 10 | 1 win, 8 podiums
2017: 7th | 2016: 8th | 2015: 2nd | 2014: 15th | 2013: 17th | 2012: 11th


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Group Pick'em 2016
PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 9:07 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Feb 23, 2014 3:53 am
Posts: 4408
Location: Michigan, USA
Cheers! :thumbup:

That's what I get for not reading the second post and just checking the first one, apparently...

Jenson's Understeer wrote:
I've selected a driver - say, Max Verstappen - and he replaces another driver - Daniil Kvyat - mid-season? Then you would receive any points scored by Verstappen's replacement as per above. However, if you had also selected Kvyat then you would receive any points Verstappen scored at Red Bull by way of him being Kvyat's replacement. .

Too bad you don't get points for that prediction, though! ;)

_________________
PF1 Pick 10 Competition
2017: Don't Ask| 2016: 3rd| 2015: 4th
Wins: 3 | Podiums: 11

PF1 Top Three Constructor's Championship
2015 (No Limit Excedrin Racing): CHAMPIONS


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Group Pick'em 2016
PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 9:15 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 14, 2012 5:44 pm
Posts: 984
Joker on Alonso this weekend please

_________________
Pick 10 Competition:
2013 - 10th
2014 - 9th
2015 - 6th


Pick 10 Podiums:
1st Place: USA 2012, Japan 2013, USA 2015
2nd Place: Bahrain 2015, Barcelona 2015
3rd Place: China 2014


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group