planetf1.com

It is currently Sat Aug 18, 2018 6:48 am

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Post subject: Re: NFL thread
PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 11:33 pm 

Mr-E wrote:
So Carlin Isles (fastest man in rugby) has been signed by the Detroit Lions practise squad. Don't know much about him and don't watch rugby, but a while ago I saw the now famous video of him.. Pretty fast :nod:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gA5bwqVN5LM

He certainly looks pretty fast on his feet.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 9:11 pm 

Shameless plug but I've started a blog about american football refereeing, my first post is an interview with former Big 10 conference referee Bill LeMonnier. Would be cool if any of the football fans on here could give it a read:
http://behindthestripes.com/?p=11

"It's hammer time!"

British Driver Supporter (and Daniel Ricciardo)

Greg Moore - Dan Wheldon

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 4:10 pm 

Well, I think 3 of the 4 games of the weekends looked to be ending the way they did. The only question mark for me was the 49s vs Panthers game.

So we have Patriots at Denver and 49ers at Seattle.

I'm much more interested in the AFC Championship game to be honest. I expect Seattle to do their usual and have their defense stop most of what the 49ers can throw at them. However, I wouldn't be amazed if it went the other way. The AFC game though, Brady and a Patriots team that looked a little lackluster early on against Peyton Manning and a team that has looked offensively brilliant in pretty much every game could be a really good game. Patriot have turned it around which is why it is exciting.

Seahawks vs Denver in the Superbowl I'd guess.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 10:46 pm 

Go Broncos!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Get Champ to a Super Bowl

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 11:28 pm 

Patriots just looked utterly outclassed. Went to an old friend from Uni's house to watch the game. Was good to catch u and watch some FOOTBALL, YEAH!

Will see highlights of the other game on Tuesday after work (I think the highlight show is Monday night on C4, but might be Monday morning actually).

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 11:45 pm 

mac_d wrote:
Patriots just looked utterly outclassed. Went to an old friend from Uni's house to watch the game. Was good to catch u and watch some FOOTBALL, YEAH!

Will see highlights of the other game on Tuesday after work (I think the highlight show is Monday night on C4, but might be Monday morning actually).

"Road to the Super Bowl" is on C4 at 23.00-0.00 tomorrow... (Monday)

:D :D :D

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 3:23 am 

gahahaha Sherman causing a meltdown with that interview. Awesome game, some horrific ref calls though.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 11:16 am 

medgar wrote:
gahahaha Sherman causing a meltdown with that interview. Awesome game, some horrific ref calls though.

I love him and hate him at the same time... Hate him because he's such an donkey opening, love him because he knows he's an donkey opening and fully embraces that fact. He's like a heel in wrestling.

The running into the punter call sucked. It's a open and shut roughing call, what happened pretty much matched the definition in the rule book. Not to try and justify it but I guess we hear so much about letting the players decide the games not the officials that the ref swallowed his flag on that one. It's called loss aversion, you're more likely to be judged on your calls rather than your non-calls. Again, not trying to defend it, I just see why it might happen.

The non-fumble call at the SF goal line was pretty bad too, they lucked out that SEA turned it over on downs the next play .

"It's hammer time!"

Greg Moore - Dan Wheldon

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 12:15 pm 

Blake wrote:
Go Broncos!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Get Champ to a Super Bowl

:thumbup:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 12:29 pm 

The best offense versus the best defense in the NFL.

The Superbowl won't be medicore this year. It's either going to be amazing or it will be one of those games you regret staying up for.

The half-time show sounds absolutely bollocks. I don't like Bruno Mars and the RHCP tiddled me off by giving me the worst musical live show I have ever seen (second worse show I have ever paid for after Phil Jupitus). Oh well, at least it's short.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 6:18 pm 

mac_d wrote:
The best offense versus the best defense in the NFL.

The Superbowl won't be medicore this year. It's either going to be amazing or it will be one of those games you regret staying up for.

The half-time show sounds absolutely bollocks. I don't like Bruno Mars and the RHCP tiddled me off by giving me the worst musical live show I have ever seen (second worse show I have ever paid for after Phil Jupitus). Oh well, at least it's short.

I haven't been able to listen to them since seeing them live. Still tiddled off at how much they must love themselves even though it was a pile of crap. Sorry it's off topic.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 7:25 pm 

YEEEEEESSSSS! GET IN THERE!

A long time Seahawks fan here well happy :D

I had work so could only watch till half time and the effort I had to go to to avoid the result was immense. At home now and just watched the second half ...What a result! Gotta say some bad calls from the officials but that's football. Sherman didn't do himself any favours with his rant - but that's his style. Now we just gotta win this time and erase the lost the Pittsburgh in Superbowl XL.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 9:58 pm 

sad part is, moose... I think Sherman is rather proud of himself... just as he has been with some of his other rants, such as on Skip Bayless and getting in Tom Brady's face, nor were his choking jestures at Kaepernick for daring to throw in Sherman's direction very classy.

sorry for those long time Seahawk fans such as yourself, you deserve better.... but sherman is an donkey.

I suspect that there will players from all over the NFL hoping that Manning and the Broncos light sherman up in a big way in a couple of weeks. Three or four touchdowns ought to do it, but I will settle for just winning the game.

And of course, this fan will be hoping that the Broncos win... gotta get one for one of the truly classy cornerbacks in the league... Champ Bailey.
;)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 11:14 pm 

Blake wrote:
sad part is, moose... I think Sherman is rather proud of himself... just as he has been with some of his other rants, such as on Skip Bayless and getting in Tom Brady's face, nor were his choking jestures at Kaepernick for daring to throw in Sherman's direction very classy.

sorry for those long time Seahawk fans such as yourself, you deserve better.... but sherman is an donkey.

I suspect that there will players from all over the NFL hoping that Manning and the Broncos light sherman up in a big way in a couple of weeks. Three or four touchdowns ought to do it, but I will settle for just winning the game.

And of course, this fan will be hoping that the Broncos win... gotta get one for one of the truly classy cornerbacks in the league... Champ Bailey.
;)

As I said before, I'm pretty sure he knows he's acting the villain and he's playing up to it. He's Stanford educated, he's a smart kid and I think he knows what he's doing and is enjoying being a heel and creating some entertainment and headlines (I mean, regardless of your opinion of the man, that post-game interview with Erin Andrews was pure, quality entertainment).

Do I hope Manning torches him in the Super Bowl? Hell yes, I hope the Broncos rack up a few TDs on him but I think it's a little naive to just consider Sherman a classless thug.

"It's hammer time!"

Greg Moore - Dan Wheldon

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 2:00 am 

I am not calling him a thug, but an donkey... a small difference, but a difference nontheless... as one is an attitude and the other a negative behavioral personality. I don't doubt that he is smart, but then I have met many a smart person who was very full of themselves. I am just old school enough that I am not a fan of that kind of behavior. I did find it totally appropriate that Dion Sanders basically supported sherman's personality... it is like him looking in the mirror.
;)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 6:11 am 
I guess Sherman will never qualify for the Walter Payton Award. It is a shame his bad behavior overshadows the quality play of Russel Wilson. But it doesn't matter squat if the Seattle defense can't get to Peyton Manning.

Anyone willing to guess how many times Manning calls "Omaha" at the Superbowl?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 9:09 am 

Blake wrote:
I am not calling him a thug, but an donkey... a small difference, but a difference nontheless... as one is an attitude and the other a negative behavioral personality. I don't doubt that he is smart, but then I have met many a smart person who was very full of themselves. I am just old school enough that I am not a fan of that kind of behavior. I did find it totally appropriate that Dion Sanders basically supported sherman's personality... it is like him looking in the mirror.
;)

Sorry Blake, I wasn't suggesting that you specifically called him a thug, it's just a word I've seen bandied around a lot in the media the last few days. I guess my point is that I think you have to separate Richard Sherman the on-field personality/act (who is a total donkey) and Richard Sherman the actual man. As I said, he seems to be a smart, articulate, grounded kinda guy when he's the latter, I know he does a fair bit of charity stuff too.

If we had 22 Manning/Brady personalities on the field I can't help but feel the NFL might lose some of the razzmatazz that is part of what makes it so attractive and fun to watch (I dunno, you "older" guys might think I'm just being childish because I enjoy that aspect of the sport ;) )

Anyway, despite my defence of Sherman, go Broncos!

"It's hammer time!"

Greg Moore - Dan Wheldon

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 12:42 pm 

Pedrosa_4_Ever wrote:
Sorry Blake, I wasn't suggesting that you specifically called him a thug, it's just a word I've seen bandied around a lot in the media the last few days. I guess my point is that I think you have to separate Richard Sherman the on-field personality/act (who is a total donkey) and Richard Sherman the actual man. As I said, he seems to be a smart, articulate, grounded kinda guy when he's the latter, I know he does a fair bit of charity stuff too.

If we had 22 Manning/Brady personalities on the field I can't help but feel the NFL might lose some of the razzmatazz that is part of what makes it so attractive and fun to watch (I dunno, you "older" guys might think I'm just being childish because I enjoy that aspect of the sport ;) )

Anyway, despite my defence of Sherman, go Broncos!

Maybe I've been watching too much WWE, but I think there is something endearing about the good ol' all american guy with the wife and kids who says "gee, shucks, I'm just so lucky to go play football" but with it you gotta have the flipside because there are some people that everyone loves to hate. I think having a mix of the two characters is pretty important. So yeah, I have to agree. Sometimes the pantomine villain type character is the most entertaining.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 8:36 pm 

I hear ya Blake. As we say over here he's a *Marmite player. You either love him or hate him - there's no in-between.

Well, as they say. 'live by the sword - die by the sword!'.

Sherman has a target on his back now and (if he didn't have already) the whole football world will be watching his performance in the Superbowl. I for one hopes he has an outstanding game - obviously.

Hi kinda reminds me of Brian Bosworth who played for the Hawks' in the 80's. He had a mouth too; difference is, the Hawks' back the were crap! Perhaps a bit harsh on my part because they were in a really tough division before the reshuffle (AFC west). Yeah I'm happy for Champ too. After 15 seasons he FINALLY gets too play on the big stage.

Anyways, here's to a great game and a Seahawks win! :nod:

GOOOOOOOOOOO HAWKS!!!

* For those that don't know Marmite is a (in my opinion) nasty, nasty breakfast accompaniment that you put on toast or whatever. People love it or hate it.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 9:58 pm 

moose, ya had to bring up bosworth!!! Bosworth was not only a big mouth, but an donkey as well. Do you remember when he was working in a GM factory while in college when he bragged (after he was gone) about stringing bolts and bottles inside the fenders so that the new customer would have a rattle. classy guy.

However, a funny story that he was involved with was back in the day when he made fun of John Elway calling him "horseface".... and suddenly before a Seahawk/Bronco game in Denver T-shirts were being marketed that were anti-Bosworth... and they sold well. A few weeks later it was disclosed that Bosworth himself marketed the t-shirts...making a batch of money off the Bronco fans dislike of him!
:lol:

Good thing that the 'hawks have had some class acts to offset those two.... Largent was one player that I almost prayed would find his way to play with Denver! His QB wasn't too bad either!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 10:31 pm 

I watched the highlights for the 49ers Seahawks game tonight when I got in from work.

Man, that looked like a good game. Both teams looked good on both offence and defence. The seahawks especially on defence as their record would have suggested to most anyway. I really do feel for Kaepernick. He looked like he played a really good game and was the star of the 49ers and the game. Both QBs did some really cool stuff. Kaepernick is young and exciting and he is a part of why the 49ers have been pretty damn good to watch this year. I really do like a QB who can run it and dodge out of a bad situation.

I really hope the Superbowl turns out to be a good game. I fear that it could just be a defence game, which can be exciting (one of the first games I saw was a Steelers Ravens game a few years ago and it was very much a defence game and was spectacular) but they can also be hideously boring. On the plus side, I've said this before - The best offence in the NFL against the best defence! It should be a sight to behold.

Sidenote - Moved into our new office space at Uni and hung my Vikings flag on my desk.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 8:12 pm 

Blake wrote:
moose, ya had to bring up bosworth!!! Bosworth was not only a big mouth, but an donkey as well. Do you remember when he was working in a GM factory while in college when he bragged (after he was gone) about stringing bolts and bottles inside the fenders so that the new customer would have a rattle. classy guy.

However, a funny story that he was involved with was back in the day when he made fun of John Elway calling him "horseface".... and suddenly before a Seahawk/Bronco game in Denver T-shirts were being marketed that were anti-Bosworth... and they sold well. A few weeks later it was disclosed that Bosworth himself marketed the t-shirts...making a batch of money off the Bronco fans dislike of him!
:lol:

Good thing that the 'hawks have had some class acts to offset those two.... Largent was one player that I almost prayed would find his way to play with Denver! His QB wasn't too bad either!

:lol: @ Bosworth - a first class clown!

I do remember him tearing strips of a Seahawk equipment guy on the sidelines because the guy forgot something, We could only see Bosworth' lips moving and his arms waving about...it was unpleasant enough just watching without the sound of his voice. I also remember him always wearing his game shoes with 44 written on them. (his college number I think).

He never really lived up to his hype in the NFL as he did in college though, did he?

Blake, Seattle V Denver was a great rivalry back then , remember? It's been lost since we changed divisions. Thank god we got the 49ers :lol:

Yeah Steve Largent was a class receiver. Doesn't he still hold some sort of receiving record? Dave Krieg was one the better QB's that has ever played for us. Cant forget Kenny Easley too....man he could hit, couldn't he?? 8O RB Curt Warner should get a mention too.

Memories of great games and days gone by.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 5:51 am 

Seahawks fan from London here, off to NYC for the weekend to catch the Super Bowl . It will be the first time i've seen the Seahawks play. Have been to some of the games in Wembley over the years, love the atmosphere. Hope there is an F-22 flypast, saw one on tv at one of the Super Bowls a few years ago.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 10:14 am 

lab105 wrote:
Seahawks fan from London here, off to NYC for the weekend to catch the Super Bowl . It will be the first time i've seen the Seahawks play. Have been to some of the games in Wembley over the years, love the atmosphere. Hope there is an F-22 flypast, saw one on tv at one of the Super Bowls a few years ago.

Sweet.

I'd love to go to a Superbowl, let alone one with my team in it. Hope it is fun!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 1:03 pm 

Aye, have a good one. If you don't mind me asking, how much were the tickets?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 1:08 pm 

Cheers guys. I got a top tier ticket yesterday afternoon for $1775 (think face value is $800) from Stubhub.com . Didn't think it would be so easy to get a ticket, expected it to cost a lot more aswell.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 2:58 pm 

lab105 wrote:

Have a fantastic time.

Though, as a Broncos fan, not too fantastic. :)

Here's hoping for a great game

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 3:14 pm 

Argentum wrote:
lab105 wrote:

Have a fantastic time.

Though, as a Broncos fan, not too fantastic. :)

Here's hoping for a great game

Copy that!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 3:16 pm 

I'm on the Bronco's side for the big one I'm afraid.

I'd love to hit up a Superbowl but at $800+ dollars a ticket, plus flights, plus hotels, plus spending money I'd need to save pretty much all my un-allocated cash for probably about a year. I can't wait until I get a proper job and make more money than I do now.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 4:47 pm 

Well, the annual Madden simulation says it's gonna be a Broncos win...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Madden_NFL ... simulation

And they've only been wrong twice out of 10...

:D :D :D

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 11:37 pm 

Go Seahawks!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 3:38 am 

lab105 wrote:

Well that couldn't have gone much better :D

Wow, what a performance.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 4:04 am 

Manning was awesome. ;)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 4:33 am 

Our pre-Superbowl game actually started with a safety but in favour of the Broncos. Seattle won the game 23-17.

As for the real superbowl. Jesus. That was basically a fustercluck of cock ups. Giving away a safety first off. Kick return (or was it a punt?). Interceptions. Weak donkey defence on the Broncos.

Seattle played well. Their defence was spectacular. It looked like they had about 20 men on the field at any given time. Wherever the ball went there seemed to be about 3 or 4 Seahawks on them. Seahawks were good but I think this was more a game that Denver f**ked up than anything else. However, it doesn't take away from the fact that when the Seahawks needed to get it done they did. Brilliant from them. I kinda wonder if Manning will retire now just as a reaction to getting well and truly pumped.

Also, Manning set a new recent for completions. Kinda funny with 8 points on the board.

If Seattle keep this defence going, with Wilson as QB and Lynch as a running back who can power through with the best of them they could be a real power franchise for the next few seasons.

In short, Congrats Seahawks. Now comes the 2014 season...

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 12:38 pm 

Congrats to the Seahawks, they did everything right.

As for the Broncos, I am left with bewilderment.... what the hell happened? Well, maybe next year.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 12:43 pm 

Well, that was a bit painful. Can't have been very entertaining for the neutral.

Well done Seahawks.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 1:03 pm 

Argentum wrote:
Well, that was a bit painful. Can't have been very entertaining for the neutral.

I thought it was like car crash television. I really did. For 3/4s of the game Denver just kept cocking it up and it was astounding to watch. I still cannot believe how the game started.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 1:37 pm 

I stayed up 'til 3 AM for that?!?!

"It's hammer time!"

Greg Moore - Dan Wheldon

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 4:08 pm 

Argentum wrote:

Well done Seahawks.

At half time it was 22-0. Whilst I thought and believed the Seahawks were going to win, I didn't expect it to be so one sided.

So I told myself, that in the third quarter, if Seattle scored first, I'd go to bed, so what do they go and do? Return the kick for a TD.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 4:56 pm 

RunningMan wrote:
Argentum wrote:

Well done Seahawks.

At half time it was 22-0. Whilst I thought and believed the Seahawks were going to win, I didn't expect it to be so one sided.

So I told myself, that in the third quarter, if Seattle scored first, I'd go to bed, so what do they go and do? Return the kick for a TD.

Me too. Kinda figured that if the Broncos could score in the third quarter, then at least they might make a game of it.

As it was, I suppose the kick off return put me out of my misery, and i at least got an early night, lol.