planetf1.com

It is currently Thu Feb 27, 2020 9:05 pm

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please read the forum rules

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 12:21 pm 

Rory Reid is a strong presenter, I used to watch his CNET videos back in the day. His style is very straight with a bit of dry humour, I think he'll do well.

I haven't heard of Harris but I see no reason for the show to fail based on it's lineup. I think many people are of the opinion that "it isn't old Top Gear, therefore it sucks". EJ was actually pretty good doing scripted voice overs for the BBC, and Top Gear is pretty much all scripted, so I don't think he'll be nearly as incomprehensible as he was on the BBC.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 12:24 pm 

Blackhander wrote:
From an international point of view I think this new top gear is doomed to fail, and mostly because of their new team. Which is bad news for the BBC as it was the most watched show in the world and their major cash cow.

I would describe the team as lacklustre at best. Apparently there are 7 now? The fact that Joey is the major draw card now says it all really, I mean I loved friends!... But I'm not going to tune in every week and watch him talk about cars. I obviously know who Sabine Schmitz, but that's about it. Same goes for Eddie Jordan, clearly know him, but still couldn't care less.

As for the rest I have never heard of Chris Evans before (I actually had to look up "new top gear" just to remember his name) and the first article I find is criticising the BBC for choosing someone who is a complete unknown outside the UK. That's an understatement. Then there is some YouTube guy and a tech gadget journalists? No idea what their names are.

Nah, I think I'll just follow the trio to their new home.

Of course, Clarkson Hammond and May were worldwide household names when 'old' Top Gear started. :uhoh:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 12:24 pm 

mds wrote:
Blackhander wrote:
Now "old top gear" with the might of Amazon behind it! Say no more! I'm in!

I would be if I knew how to watch it, what with Amazon Prime and all. And you're talking about the other show threatening to become an international failure? ;)

True, it is all getting a bit hard. The main draw of streaming was always that it was simply Netflix and that's it. Throw in a sneaky VPN and you had access to everything all in the one place. Now with it fragmenting it's almost back to the bad old days of linear TV, inly now we're expected to pay for each channel as well. Companies just can't leave well enough alone.

PF1 Autosport GP Predictor 2014: Second 2015: Second

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 12:25 pm 

mds wrote:
Blackhander wrote:
Now "old top gear" with the might of Amazon behind it! Say no more! I'm in!

I would be if I knew how to watch it, what with Amazon Prime and all. And you're talking about the other show threatening to become an international failure? ;)

I have no doubts Amazon will sell their show to other networks in countries where there is no Amazon Prime.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 12:31 pm 

JohnnyGuitar wrote:
Blackhander wrote:
From an international point of view I think this new top gear is doomed to fail, and mostly because of their new team. Which is bad news for the BBC as it was the most watched show in the world and their major cash cow.

I would describe the team as lacklustre at best. Apparently there are 7 now? The fact that Joey is the major draw card now says it all really, I mean I loved friends!... But I'm not going to tune in every week and watch him talk about cars. I obviously know who Sabine Schmitz, but that's about it. Same goes for Eddie Jordan, clearly know him, but still couldn't care less.

As for the rest I have never heard of Chris Evans before (I actually had to look up "new top gear" just to remember his name) and the first article I find is criticising the BBC for choosing someone who is a complete unknown outside the UK. That's an understatement. Then there is some YouTube guy and a tech gadget journalists? No idea what their names are.

Of course, Clarkson Hammond and May were worldwide household names when 'old' Top Gear started. :uhoh:

No, but neither was top gear at the time. It grew and they grew together in a happy symbiosis. Now that the hosts have changed it can't go back to the same paradigm of the original. Tip gear is a behemoth and it would need equally large personalities to maintain that. Which I can see they've tried to achieve. And I suppose if most people know a few of the 6 or 7 hosts then that might be enough to build on. We'll see soon enough.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 12:41 pm 

dizlexik wrote:
mds wrote:
Quote:

Why wouldn't you just give it a chance? I don't get this thinking.

I also don't get it. Personally I don't have high hopes, but I will certainly give the new BBC show a chance.

Because people hate change.

NH#1: Quick Nick Heidfeld
NH#2: HULK SMASH

PF1 Pick 10 Podiums: 6 (2nd IND '11; 1st JPN '12; 1st MCO '13; 3rd DEU '16; 3rd USA '16, 3rd MEX '16)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 12:41 pm 

As much as I was a fan of Top Gear, I do think a re-boot was probably not far off even if 'the fracas' hadn't happened.

James May is on record as saying they were on the verge of signing a new contract, but they would have ended after that was up.

It would have been too easy to have tried to sign three facsimiles of C, H & M, and tried to carry on with the same show, but that wouldn't have worked and I'm glad they haven't made that mistake.
As I said, I was a fan of the last incarnation of Top Gear, and I'm old enough to remember old, old Top Gear from the previous era, so I'm looking forward to something new. Will it be as successful as the old show? Probably not, but that was probably an impossibility anyway. Will it succeed in a more modest way? I'm sure it will.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 1:15 pm 

Let me put it this way...

Top Gear was due for a change. Check :thumbup:

To varying degrees, most people were fed up of Clarkson, Hammond, May doing the same old same old. Check :thumbup:

The new line up looks reasonably well balanced:
* Lady driver with a bit of personality, who is easy on the eye and can handle a car better than the rest of the team. Check. :thumbup:
* Joey from Friends (excellent in Episodes by the way), a bit of international perspective and some humour. Check. :thumbup:
* The Stig. Er, okay then, but even that shtick was getting a bit tired. :?
* A good, well respected motoring journalist and a well known Youtube presenter. Check Check :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :-P :-P
* A motor-mouth front man. Check. Evans wouldn't have been my choice but I'd be willing to give him the benefit of the doubt, at least until he mentions his Ferraris :-|
* An eejit, who opens his mouth and all sorts of incoherent rubbish wrapped up in catastrophic grammar falls out. :thumbdown: :thumbdown:

I'm willing to concede that EJ might be a big margin better if he's working to a script and a camera with video editing to follow, rather than in a live pit lane where his blather tumbles out so freely. But I still ask the question, what's he there for? What's his purpose, what does he add? If I turn on and he mentions the Jordan F1 team one more time I'll put my foot through the TV, honest I will.

All I can think is that Eddie has an outstanding contract with the BBC for F1 and they need to do something with him to get value for money. Personally I'd have put him on Gardeners' Question Time on Radio 4 or in the Alan Partridge midnight slot on Radio Norwich. Even the One show. Anything but a motoring programme they are trying to bring back from the dead.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 1:30 pm 

So long as it doesn't end up being the One show with cars, or a couple of blokes messing around, with Sabine rolling her eyes and inviting viewers to laugh at how stupid men are It could work well.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 1:51 pm 

For me, Top Gear is dead without Clarkson-May-Hammond.

Having said that...
If I had to pick a team outside those three, I'd pick the american Jay Leno as a number 1 presenter (Clarkson's direct replacement) as he is a really funny guy, talented entertainer, and is a car fanatic aswell.
Then I'd pick someone like Chris Harris to be his 2nd presenter. He does good, entertaining reviews, and has good driving skills.
Then the third... Dont know... but it has to be someone who is a good presenter, a good entertainer, someone that knows about cars, and has some driving skills aswell.
I dont think it is obligated to put a female in there, not at all. So fed up with the "political correctness dictatorship". Put in there the best person no matter if its male or female, end of.

Top Gear (latest years Top Gear) was not a car program... but a show featuring cars, so as I said those replacements should be car fanatics and entertainers at the same time.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 2:21 pm 
Site Admin

Merged the Top Gear threads together, as per forum rule 19.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 2:29 pm 
People can call it Top Gear all they want, but without Clarkson, May and Hammond it just won't be. Look at ''Top Gear'' USA, that's completely sh*t.
Now I'm sure the ''new top gear'' have the potential to be a great carshow but name it something else.

The ''real top gear'' is whatever new show Clarkson, May and Hammond will put together.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 2:33 pm 

Warheart01 wrote:
People can call it Top Gear all they want, but without Clarkson, May and Hammond it just won't be. Look at ''Top Gear'' USA, that's completely sh*t.
Now I'm sure the ''new top gear'' have the potential to be a great carshow but name it something else.

The ''real top gear'' is whatever new show Clarkson, May and Hammond will put together.

Well, thats going a bit too far because Top Gear existed before those three. Clarkson was one of the presenters in the old top gear but not the other two.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 2:48 pm 

Warheart01 wrote:
Look at ''Top Gear'' USA, that's completely sh*t.

I don't fully agree. First they just tried to carbon copy TG UK (with SIARPC and all), and that was indeed horrible. Then they dropped the format and created something of their own, and I liked it. Had great laughs as well - I still laugh every time when I even so much as think at Foust startin a big rig uphill, to mention something.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 3:08 pm 

nixxxon wrote:
Warheart01 wrote:

Well, thats going a bit too far because Top Gear existed before those three. Clarkson was one of the presenters in the old top gear but not the other two.

I agree with your point about TG existing before Clarkson, Hammond and May, and Clarkson was well known as a presenter on it already, but what most people don't know is James May was also on 'old' Top Gear. Some of his bits are even on youtube.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 3:39 pm 

I actually stopped watching the show well before the demise of Clarkson, same tired format, you can only used the same joke so many times, I think perhaps it was due a revamp.

I will probably watch the new show out of intrigue plus I quite like Sabine, I wonder if they will use her instead of the Stig?

2013: 5th Place
2014: Champion
2015: 3rd Place
2016: 4th Place

2017: 9th Place
2018: 7th place

Wins: Canada 2018, Abu Dhabi 2017
Podiums: (8)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 6:55 am 

Warheart01 wrote:

'Gear knobs'.. has been trademarked everywhere according to some lawyers I know.

Can't think of a better name ;)

Have fun :)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 12:45 pm 

Shia Luck wrote:
Warheart01 wrote:

'Gear knobs'.. has been trademarked everywhere according to some lawyers I know.

Can't think of a better name ;)

Have fun :)

That's hilarious if true. Although I struggle seeing Amazon spending $160million on a show called "Gear Knobs" but would welcome being pleasantly surprised.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 2:25 pm 

Blackhander wrote:
Rory someone and a DJ... Yeah, Nah I tried but I just can't get excited about it. I'll give it a go, but it's not selling itself to me. Now "old top gear" with the might of Amazon behind it! Say no more! I'm in! Don't care how silly it is, I'm looking forward to wasting a couple of hours on a Monday night chuckling away at childish shenanigans.

Get rid of the two unknowns and Chris Evans.

Then it becomes a show I'd be interested in. As much Clarkson came across as the arrogant old oath, he at least comes across that he has lived life, travelled and generally done more than just present a show and DJ...

I can see Eddie Jordan clashing with the german (sorry don't know her name) because she isn't afraid to express her opinion, EJ has already shown it too.

I will watch the first one, just praying they will cut back on Chris Evans.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 3:51 am 

So is it a car show like old old Top Gear or a more general entertainment show as Top Gear was in more recent years?

I ask because I can't really see the format Clarkson, May and Hammond had working with so many hosts. And the old old format never did much for me. I know TG got a lot of criticism regarding consumer advice and valid road tests etc, but I'd much rather see them road test a Pagani Zonda Roadster than a Fiat Punto. I have almost negative interest in an actual car show.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 4:18 am 

mac_d wrote:
So is it a car show like old old Top Gear or a more general entertainment show as Top Gear was in more recent years?

I ask because I can't really see the format Clarkson, May and Hammond had working with so many hosts. And the old old format never did much for me. I know TG got a lot of criticism regarding consumer advice and valid road tests etc, but I'd much rather see them road test a Pagani Zonda Roadster than a Fiat Punto. I have almost negative interest in an actual car show.

I think that is an almost inherent problem with informational car shows like 5th gear and what not. People who aren't interested in cars and motorsport don't care and won't watch because they have little to no interest. People who ARE interested in cars and motorsports will have already done their own research on the matter and therefore have no interest in watching a show that simply lists off knowledge that they already know.

Back in the bad old days before the internets A show like 'old old top gear' or fifth gear were quite useful. Now that we have instantaneous access to all of the information collected throughout the world they're useless. They'll rarely have the particular information people want and rather than waiting weeks for that particular episode its far simpler to spend a couple of minutes on your phone finding it yourself.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 8:58 am 

I am looking forward to this new top gear. I have to say that I feel that since season 10, top gear has been going downhill with silliness. Over that past 10 seasons or so, I would say there have only been 1 or 2 episodes per season that I have enjoyed all the way through. I am really into cars so I didn't like the way they went from a sensible season 1 in the early 2000s talking about normal cars to super cars with a bit of messing around to the way they act now. It seems like it is a totally different program. I understand it was a huge amount more popular but as a car fan, from season 20, I didn't really mind if I happened to miss an episode as a lot of the parts were not related to cars in the slightest.
I thought season 14 started off really well when they went to Romania. That was a great episode but it was followed by what was possibly my least favourite episode of top gear. It was when they made their electric vehicle. That was hardly about cars, had too much messing around and everything was far to staged.

My favourite special is the Botswana special. I also liked the Polar special, Bolivia and a few others. The later 2 such as the Indian one and Patagonia were not very enjoyable. It seems like you can tell how staged it is much easier than before and a lot of the things they tried to make look funny just didn't seem to be.

All of this is my opinion so some may not agree as the program was getting much more popular.

I know 3 of the new presenters quite well. I have always really liked Eddie Jordan so am looking forward to seeing how he fits in. I do wish he was still in F1 with Channel 4 though. Can't wish for too much. I have watched a huge amount of Chris Harris's videos on YouTube and he seems pretty serious about his cars so I think he will be great too. I have seen Chris Evans on a lot of programs but I don't know much about his car knowledge so I will have wait and see.

The other presenter I have heard of is Sabine Schmitz. She was great when she came onto top gear on those few occasions and she will obviously be an extremely good driver. The other 2, I don't know anything about them so I will have to wait again to find out what they will be like.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 10:26 pm 

Honestly, the Daily Mail, yogurt knitting brigade moaning about Top Gear filming near Whitehall today need to move on...

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 7:40 pm 

Asphalt_World wrote:
Honestly, the Daily Mail, yogurt knitting brigade moaning about Top Gear filming near Whitehall today need to move on...

Ironically, Top Gear doing burnouts in the vicinity of the Cenotaph and other war memorials has probably more young people aware of their existence than the entire establishment of right wing newspapers.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 9:20 pm 

Alienturnedhuman wrote:
Asphalt_World wrote:

Ironically, Top Gear doing burnouts in the vicinity of the Cenotaph and other war memorials has probably more young people aware of their existence than the entire establishment of right wing newspapers.

True,

I can't begin to think of all the films and drama series that have been filmed in and around graveyards, memorials and all manner of other places like that. Explosions going off in central London, New York, LA etc.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 9:27 pm 

I get that it's the Cenotaph, and had they been doing doughnuts around it I'd be feeling differently, but I don't see why this was so bad. I guess it depends on if you, personally, feel they were too close or not. I don't and don't feel like it was disrespectful to our fallen soldiers. Seems like a storm in a teacup to me, unless I've missed something.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 9:34 pm 

James Bond has screamed his way up Whitehall, past the Cenotaph. Who knows how many other memorials in London and indeed the world have been is films.

At this rate, we'd have to ban anyone celebrating in most of London on new years eve.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 2:05 am 

If having thrown EJ, Joey from friends and Chris Evans together and create chemistry and a good TV show, it will be a miracle above miracles. Everything about it smells of desperation. They should have scrapped it and went in a slightly different direction.

It was the chemistry between JC, JM and RH and their grumpy old men routine in awkward situations that made it entertaining. The cars were irrelevant mostly just a platform for them to entertain and tell their story. I can see the new show gushing nonsense about cars in a geeky way that will make it irrelevant as the old original top gear was.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2016 9:48 pm 

So, James May has spoken about the Top Gear stunt near to the Cenotaph. He calls it 'Ill judged'.

Shame he never thought that when he and the other two were happy to make all sort of unnecessary comments that have offended many people and in truth, added nothing to the show other than dodgy publicity.

'Pot, Kettle, Black' comes to mind.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 4:11 am 

Trailer for the new series is now out, predictably it's getting a lot of dislikes, but that's to be expected regardless of the quality:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bTWcEjj0w3s

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 7:17 am 

I think the trailer looks great. Fact is, so many people have already decided that they will hate the new presenters regardless.

Sadly, more people protested outside the House of Commons when Clarkson was sacked that we get for important issues in the country.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 10:30 am 

Oh dear, there's a lot of crying trolls about on youtube. It looks ok from the trailer and the old guys have their own show on Amazon to watch if you don't like this new one. I'd have thought that if anything it's better for us all cause we've got the new Top Gear show and Clarkson's and co's new show so 2 shows instead of 1.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 6:20 pm 

Dear god, trolls just can't go over sacking Clarkson. Top Gear was always going to change in the future. When Clarkson, Hammond and May came it was already 3rd incarnation of the show. Also the old trio will be given opportunity to reinvent their own show as last TR seasons weren't very good.