planetf1.com
http://cricket365.co.uk/

Annoyances
http://cricket365.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=5568
Page 40 of 41

Author:  Siao7 [ Mon Aug 01, 2016 10:48 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Annoyances

SDLRob wrote:
Delivery guys getting shirty with you when you are out.... hours BEFORE the delivery window you paid £20 extra for.. then when they reluctantly agree to deliver in the window you paid for.... only to turn up 20 minutes later anyway.


You're lucky. In our area they don't bother knocking on the door or using the door bell. We are in the house all the time, as half of us are working from home or working on weekends (so weekdays are at home), and time after time there is just a letter through the door that your delivery is at the post office as we rang and no one was in.

So annoying

Author:  Jezza13 [ Mon Aug 01, 2016 12:09 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Annoyances

ATM I get annoyed every time I hear an olympic team manager called a "Chef De Mission".

Why cant they just bloody well call them Team Managers?

Author:  moby [ Mon Aug 01, 2016 12:59 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Annoyances

Jezza13 wrote:
ATM I get annoyed every time I hear an olympic team manager called a "Chef De Mission".

Why cant they just bloody well call them Team Managers?


Except the French one of course.

Author:  moby [ Mon Aug 01, 2016 2:16 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Annoyances

I dont know why, but the last few days the phrase "just, go ahead and" is really annoying me.
I like to watch a lot of youtube clips of how to do or make stuff, and it seems the second line of every script is "just, go ahead and".
It never bothered me before, but once it did start to grate, it is everywhere.

Still, I suppose I will just have to "just, go ahead and" keep watching.

Author:  RaggedMan [ Mon Aug 01, 2016 6:57 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Annoyances

moby wrote:
I dont know why, but the last few days the phrase "just, go ahead and" is really annoying me.
I like to watch a lot of youtube clips of how to do or make stuff, and it seems the second line of every script is "just, go ahead and".
It never bothered me before, but once it did start to grate, it is everywhere.

Still, I suppose I will just have to "just, go ahead and" keep watching.

I have the same problem with people who say "whenever" instead of simply "when."

i.e. "Whenever you take something apart you should put all of the screws in a container so they don't get lost." Drives. Me. Nuts.

Author:  Herb [ Mon Aug 01, 2016 8:04 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Annoyances

People writing 'of' instead of 'have'.

Driving me nuts on here just lately, seems to have been a sudden increase.

Author:  Asphalt_World [ Mon Aug 01, 2016 9:21 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Annoyances

Herb wrote:
People writing 'of' instead of 'have'.

Driving me nuts on here just lately, seems to have been a sudden increase.


Yes. Should've, could've and would've should be enough of a clue.

Author:  tootsie323 [ Tue Aug 02, 2016 11:28 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Annoyances

Asphalt_World wrote:
Herb wrote:
People writing 'of' instead of 'have'.

Driving me nuts on here just lately, seems to have been a sudden increase.
Yes. Should've, could've and would've should be enough of a clue.
Unless you're Beverley Knight.

Author:  Biffa [ Tue Aug 02, 2016 12:39 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Annoyances

Herb wrote:
People writing 'of' instead of 'have'.

Driving me nuts on here just lately, seems to have been a sudden increase.


One of my pet hates too, and if that wasn't bad enough I notice more and more people saying 'should of'.

Author:  mac_d [ Tue Aug 02, 2016 5:57 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Annoyances

Biffa wrote:
Herb wrote:
People writing 'of' instead of 'have'.

Driving me nuts on here just lately, seems to have been a sudden increase.


One of my pet hates too, and if that wasn't bad enough I notice more and more people saying 'should of'.


This forum thankfully mostly avoids it, but I see a lot of people seem to not know (or just don't care) about the difference between "then" and "than".

Maybe we are all just old *inaudible* and language has moved past us. Or maybe the internet is making us all stupider. Or, more likely, I should ever read any comments on youtube again.

Author:  Siao7 [ Wed Aug 03, 2016 7:47 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Annoyances

mac_d wrote:
Biffa wrote:
Herb wrote:
People writing 'of' instead of 'have'.

Driving me nuts on here just lately, seems to have been a sudden increase.


One of my pet hates too, and if that wasn't bad enough I notice more and more people saying 'should of'.


This forum thankfully mostly avoids it, but I see a lot of people seem to not know (or just don't care) about the difference between "then" and "than".

Maybe we are all just old *inaudible* and language has moved past us. Or maybe the internet is making us all stupider. Or, more likely, I should ever read any comments on youtube again.


Also "affect" and "effect".

There is one offender of the "should of" in this forum that I always thought of correcting, but it doesn't bother me anymore. Oh well!

Author:  moby [ Wed Aug 03, 2016 9:48 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Annoyances

Siao7 wrote:
mac_d wrote:
Biffa wrote:
Herb wrote:
People writing 'of' instead of 'have'.

Driving me nuts on here just lately, seems to have been a sudden increase.


One of my pet hates too, and if that wasn't bad enough I notice more and more people saying 'should of'.


This forum thankfully mostly avoids it, but I see a lot of people seem to not know (or just don't care) about the difference between "then" and "than".

Maybe we are all just old *inaudible* and language has moved past us. Or maybe the internet is making us all stupider. Or, more likely, I should ever read any comments on youtube again.


Also "affect" and "effect".

There is one offender of the "should of" in this forum that I always thought of correcting, but it doesn't bother me anymore. Oh well!



TBH, I can see the confusion with these two words, and I don't think it is a culture thing, just mistakes. The Of and Have though seem to be deliberate and cultural things.

Author:  Siao7 [ Wed Aug 03, 2016 10:36 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Annoyances

moby wrote:
Siao7 wrote:
mac_d wrote:
Biffa wrote:
Herb wrote:
People writing 'of' instead of 'have'.

Driving me nuts on here just lately, seems to have been a sudden increase.


One of my pet hates too, and if that wasn't bad enough I notice more and more people saying 'should of'.


This forum thankfully mostly avoids it, but I see a lot of people seem to not know (or just don't care) about the difference between "then" and "than".

Maybe we are all just old *inaudible* and language has moved past us. Or maybe the internet is making us all stupider. Or, more likely, I should ever read any comments on youtube again.


Also "affect" and "effect".

There is one offender of the "should of" in this forum that I always thought of correcting, but it doesn't bother me anymore. Oh well!



TBH, I can see the confusion with these two words, and I don't think it is a culture thing, just mistakes. The Of and Have though seem to be deliberate and cultural things.


True, just still a little pet hatred of mine! Not a deliberate mistake I take it, but it somehow annoys me

Author:  moby [ Wed Aug 03, 2016 11:36 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Annoyances

I have lots, but I am also sure I do lots to annoy others, so I better shut up :]

Author:  Asphalt_World [ Wed Aug 03, 2016 11:54 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Annoyances

moby wrote:
I have lots, but I am also sure I do lots to annoy others, so I better shut up :]


Will you stop with these annoying posts please?

Author:  Siao7 [ Wed Aug 03, 2016 12:49 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Annoyances

Asphalt_World wrote:
moby wrote:
I have lots, but I am also sure I do lots to annoy others, so I better shut up :]


Will you stop with these annoying posts please?


Touche!

Author:  mac_d [ Fri Aug 05, 2016 7:38 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Annoyances

Just wrote an email to Scotmid (smallish Coop type stores in Scotland) about how their fruit squash diluting juice gave me and my buddy explosive vomiting, then the next night (foolishly assuming it was dodgy food the night before) gave me another round of explosive vomiting. That was annoying. Did set a new record for distance and force though I think.

Author:  painless [ Fri Aug 05, 2016 8:26 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Annoyances

mac_d wrote:
. Did set a new record for distance and force though I think.

Not sure I can touch either of those records but I think I might have a legitimate claim to the endurance record having vomited my way across the North sea for fourteen hours.
Hope you mentioned in your letter that you did NOT want a lifetime supply of this product by way of compensation.

Author:  tootsie323 [ Sun Aug 07, 2016 7:25 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Annoyances

I joined the hurl club last weekend after horribly misjudging my pace during a 20-mile coastal path foot race. Having succeeded in not passing out after crossing the finish I managed just 20 minutes of the drive back home before I had to pull off the road and forcibly release the fluids I'd taken on board.
On the plus side I did feel a lot better on the inside afterwards (even managed to sip some more drink on the way home with no repeat of the above). On the flip side - it took two days before the aching on the outside went away.

Author:  RaggedMan [ Tue Aug 09, 2016 6:58 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Annoyances

tootsie323 wrote:
I joined the hurl club last weekend after horribly misjudging my pace during a 20-mile coastal path foot race. Having succeeded in not passing out after crossing the finish I managed just 20 minutes of the drive back home before I had to pull off the road and forcibly release the fluids I'd taken on board.
On the plus side I did feel a lot better on the inside afterwards (even managed to sip some more drink on the way home with no repeat of the above). On the flip side - it took two days before the aching on the outside went away.

Puking after an endurance event is how you know you did the best you could that day!

I've never had it 20 minutes later though. That would have me thinking something I consumed during or just after was dodgy.

Author:  tootsie323 [ Wed Aug 10, 2016 12:23 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Annoyances

RaggedMan wrote:
tootsie323 wrote:
I joined the hurl club last weekend after horribly misjudging my pace during a 20-mile coastal path foot race. Having succeeded in not passing out after crossing the finish I managed just 20 minutes of the drive back home before I had to pull off the road and forcibly release the fluids I'd taken on board.
On the plus side I did feel a lot better on the inside afterwards (even managed to sip some more drink on the way home with no repeat of the above). On the flip side - it took two days before the aching on the outside went away.

Puking after an endurance event is how you know you did the best you could that day!
I've never had it 20 minutes later though. That would have me thinking something I consumed during or just after was dodgy.
I was consciously holding it in for as long as I could - in a forlorn hope that it would go away.

Author:  RaggedMan [ Wed Aug 10, 2016 7:22 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Annoyances

tootsie323 wrote:
RaggedMan wrote:
tootsie323 wrote:
I joined the hurl club last weekend after horribly misjudging my pace during a 20-mile coastal path foot race. Having succeeded in not passing out after crossing the finish I managed just 20 minutes of the drive back home before I had to pull off the road and forcibly release the fluids I'd taken on board.
On the plus side I did feel a lot better on the inside afterwards (even managed to sip some more drink on the way home with no repeat of the above). On the flip side - it took two days before the aching on the outside went away.

Puking after an endurance event is how you know you did the best you could that day!
I've never had it 20 minutes later though. That would have me thinking something I consumed during or just after was dodgy.
I was consciously holding it in for as long as I could - in a forlorn hope that it would go away.

At my last half marathon there was about 20 yards from the finish line to the tables with water/Gatorade/bananas/etc. I made it about 10 yards before having to go off to the side and hurl.

Fun times.

Author:  minchy [ Thu Aug 11, 2016 10:39 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Annoyances

RaggedMan wrote:
tootsie323 wrote:
RaggedMan wrote:
tootsie323 wrote:
I joined the hurl club last weekend after horribly misjudging my pace during a 20-mile coastal path foot race. Having succeeded in not passing out after crossing the finish I managed just 20 minutes of the drive back home before I had to pull off the road and forcibly release the fluids I'd taken on board.
On the plus side I did feel a lot better on the inside afterwards (even managed to sip some more drink on the way home with no repeat of the above). On the flip side - it took two days before the aching on the outside went away.

Puking after an endurance event is how you know you did the best you could that day!
I've never had it 20 minutes later though. That would have me thinking something I consumed during or just after was dodgy.
I was consciously holding it in for as long as I could - in a forlorn hope that it would go away.

At my last half marathon there was about 20 yards from the finish line to the tables with water/Gatorade/bananas/etc. I made it about 10 yards before having to go off to the side and hurl.

Fun times.

I do have fond memories of competing in my college orienteering team and the first national championships I went to, finished the 15km course, went to the tent to hand in the control card and just said 'I'm sorry, I need to be sick' and do so all his table!!!!

Author:  mac_d [ Sat Oct 08, 2016 3:37 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Annoyances

BBC have a headline on the main page - "Amanda Holden's sister seriously ill after car crash".

Now, obviously, I have no ill will to the family etc and hope she makes a recovery.

But it this news? I know the BBC has been changing a lot on the last 10 years but we've gotten to the point where the siblings of celebrities merit being on the front page. It's bad enough they have stories about the royal toddler cutting about doing pretty generic toddler things but this.

Increasingly I question why I give the BBC any money. The things I watch on TV - Doctor Who and F1. I get my NFL from their online subscription service. Netflix and NFL Network make up close to 100% of my viewing. I can watch F1 at my Dad's and just buy Doctor Who on Bluray when they come out and save money. Or wait until they come on Netflix and get them at no net cost since I'm already paying for Netflix. I'm really questioning if I get £145.50 worth of value from the BBC these days. Actually, I know I don't. This ended in a different rant than the one I thought I was starting.

Author:  moby [ Sat Oct 08, 2016 8:39 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Annoyances

mac_d wrote:
BBC have a headline on the main page - "Amanda Holden's sister seriously ill after car crash".

Now, obviously, I have no ill will to the family etc and hope she makes a recovery.

But it this news? I know the BBC has been changing a lot on the last 10 years but we've gotten to the point where the siblings of celebrities merit being on the front page. It's bad enough they have stories about the royal toddler cutting about doing pretty generic toddler things but this.

Increasingly I question why I give the BBC any money. The things I watch on TV - Doctor Who and F1. I get my NFL from their online subscription service. Netflix and NFL Network make up close to 100% of my viewing. I can watch F1 at my Dad's and just buy Doctor Who on Bluray when they come out and save money. Or wait until they come on Netflix and get them at no net cost since I'm already paying for Netflix. I'm really questioning if I get £145.50 worth of value from the BBC these days. Actually, I know I don't. This ended in a different rant than the one I thought I was starting.



Yip, "news" has been redefined. Even the news we get is now presented with "spin". There used to be what were called "magazine programs" on after the news, but now they seem to have replaced it.

Author:  SDLRob [ Sat Oct 08, 2016 9:33 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Annoyances

She's a 'celebrity' .... which perversely means that anyone and everyone that's connected to her in anyway that does anything wrong or suffers anything bad... immediately end up as news because of her. it's something that pisses me off about the media as a whole.

I say this next bit not wanting to start a political discussion, just stating a fact.... I am fed up to the back teeth with the US presidential elections. Just get the whole thing over with already.

Author:  SnakeSVT2003 [ Mon Oct 17, 2016 8:17 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Annoyances

SDLRob wrote:
She's a 'celebrity' .... which perversely means that anyone and everyone that's connected to her in anyway that does anything wrong or suffers anything bad... immediately end up as news because of her. it's something that pisses me off about the media as a whole.

I say this next bit not wanting to start a political discussion, just stating a fact.... I am fed up to the back teeth with the US presidential elections. Just get the whole thing over with already.


Yeah, it really is too long. That said, there is a good and bad side to it, the bad being how expensive it becomes to run for president (and where that money comes from), the good being how involved voters can be in choosing their party's candidate because of the Primaries.

Author:  Biffa [ Tue Oct 18, 2016 10:38 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Annoyances

mac_d wrote:
BBC have a headline on the main page - "Amanda Holden's sister seriously ill after car crash".

Now, obviously, I have no ill will to the family etc and hope she makes a recovery.

But it this news? I know the BBC has been changing a lot on the last 10 years but we've gotten to the point where the siblings of celebrities merit being on the front page. It's bad enough they have stories about the royal toddler cutting about doing pretty generic toddler things but this.

Increasingly I question why I give the BBC any money. The things I watch on TV - Doctor Who and F1. I get my NFL from their online subscription service. Netflix and NFL Network make up close to 100% of my viewing. I can watch F1 at my Dad's and just buy Doctor Who on Bluray when they come out and save money. Or wait until they come on Netflix and get them at no net cost since I'm already paying for Netflix. I'm really questioning if I get £145.50 worth of value from the BBC these days. Actually, I know I don't. This ended in a different rant than the one I thought I was starting.


Yes, I believe the BBC are doing little more than helping to divert the public's attention away from issues that we should rightly be up in arms about.

Author:  moby [ Wed Oct 26, 2016 7:20 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Annoyances

Off on Holl's for a month, so all my "good" shorts are packed. (I live in a holiday town so shorts all year is OK)

I wore one of the few not packed, a tacky somewhat tight denim shorts today and...yip, you guessed it, I am sick of quips about insurance :]

Author:  Black_Flag_11 [ Thu Oct 27, 2016 11:28 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Annoyances

moby wrote:
Off on Holl's for a month, so all my "good" shorts are packed. (I live in a holiday town so shorts all year is OK)

I wore one of the few not packed, a tacky somewhat tight denim shorts today and...yip, you guessed it, I am sick of quips about insurance :]

Don't listen to them mate, the most important thing is that you feel EPIC.

Author:  mac_d [ Thu Oct 27, 2016 2:12 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Annoyances

Black_Flag_11 wrote:
moby wrote:
Off on Holl's for a month, so all my "good" shorts are packed. (I live in a holiday town so shorts all year is OK)

I wore one of the few not packed, a tacky somewhat tight denim shorts today and...yip, you guessed it, I am sick of quips about insurance :]

Don't listen to them mate, the most important thing is that you feel EPIC.


I have this... friend... who doesn't get the joke. I tried explaining it but he didn't get it. Maybe one of you guys could explain it... for my friend....?

Author:  minchy [ Thu Oct 27, 2016 2:23 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Annoyances

Black_Flag_11 wrote:
moby wrote:
Off on Holl's for a month, so all my "good" shorts are packed. (I live in a holiday town so shorts all year is OK)

I wore one of the few not packed, a tacky somewhat tight denim shorts today and...yip, you guessed it, I am sick of quips about insurance :]

Don't listen to them mate, the most important thing is that you feel EPIC.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

For mac_d


Author:  moby [ Thu Oct 27, 2016 2:25 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Annoyances

mac_d wrote:
Black_Flag_11 wrote:
moby wrote:
Off on Holl's for a month, so all my "good" shorts are packed. (I live in a holiday town so shorts all year is OK)

I wore one of the few not packed, a tacky somewhat tight denim shorts today and...yip, you guessed it, I am sick of quips about insurance :]

Don't listen to them mate, the most important thing is that you feel EPIC.


I have this... friend... who doesn't get the joke. I tried explaining it but he didn't get it. Maybe one of you guys could explain it... for my friend....?



Except Iam built more like the builders :twisted:

Author:  mac_d [ Thu Oct 27, 2016 2:37 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Annoyances

8O 8O 8O

That's a TV advert? Wow.

My friend ;) ;) thanks you both.

Author:  moby [ Tue Nov 22, 2016 8:26 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Annoyances

Today I have been demonstrating Moby's law.

When you cobble something on the bench and it works fine for weeks, even though you keep it identical, when you tidy it up it will not work :mad:

Author:  painless [ Tue Nov 22, 2016 9:57 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Annoyances

moby wrote:
Today I have been demonstrating Moby's law.

When you cobble something on the bench and it works fine for weeks, even though you keep it identical, when you tidy it up it will not work


I think (and you would know) the lash-up quotient is inversely proportional to the performance.

I would also like to introduce you to the (open ended) Painless scale of adhesive labels.
0= falls off in the store before the check out - slightly annoying
2= can removed with fingernail but residue of glue persists - usually applies to apples
6= power tools required
11= nuclear device needed - label usually survives intact but immediate area devastated

Author:  moby [ Tue Nov 22, 2016 10:06 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Annoyances

painless wrote:
moby wrote:
Today I have been demonstrating Moby's law.

When you cobble something on the bench and it works fine for weeks, even though you keep it identical, when you tidy it up it will not work


I think (and you would know) the lash-up quotient is inversely proportional to the performance.

I would also like to introduce you to the (open ended) Painless scale of adhesive labels.
0= falls off in the store before the check out - slightly annoying
2= can removed with fingernail but residue of glue persists - usually applies to apples
6= power tools required
11= nuclear device needed - label usually survives intact but immediate area devastated


I worked in test, where once a process had been started it was imperative to see it through to produce the same results expected in the real world.
I agree with your thesis on labels, but have to point out that without sticky labels and blue tack plus a little super glue, many long term tests would have had to have been abandoned. I have the greatest respect for sticky labels and always kept a a good supply of all sorts in with my Duck tape :D

I have a particular fondness for the "metallised" ones and find them remarkably hard-wearing, flexible and in the most part, reliably adhesive.
They have saved millions in lost test time.

Author:  _Rogue_ [ Tue Nov 22, 2016 11:11 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Annoyances

Ahhhh but don't forget that Duct tape is like the Force... It has a light side, a dark side and it holds the universe together ...

Author:  moby [ Wed Nov 23, 2016 11:42 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Annoyances

_Rogue_ wrote:
Ahhhh but don't forget that Duct tape is like the Force... It has a light side, a dark side and it holds the universe together ...


Too true :]

Author:  RaggedMan [ Wed Nov 23, 2016 3:06 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Annoyances

Duct tape and WD-40 are the only tools required for any job.

If it moves when it isn't supposed to, use duct tape.
If it doesn't move when it supposed to, use WD-40.

Page 40 of 41 All times are UTC
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/