planetf1.com

It is currently Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:46 pm

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Post subject: Re: Annoyances
PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 12:04 pm 

I know it is essential, but for the 4th consecutive day, the local farmers are spreading the good news.
Twice a year, I really wonder if it was a good move out of the town x(

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 1:16 pm 

moby wrote:
I know it is essential, but for the 4th consecutive day, the local farmers are spreading the good news.

If it's just good old horse muck spreading then count yourself lucky, there's a farmer near me who uses turkey muck and that really fecking stinks!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 1:21 pm 

minchy wrote:
moby wrote:

If it's just good old horse muck spreading then count yourself lucky, there's a farmer near me who uses turkey muck and that really fecking stinks!

Yeh, I think its chicken or even pig. Probably a mix :frown:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 12:35 pm 

I have two annoyances & both are to do with psychology. I should explain first, that I have just watched two documentaries dealing with my two annoyances. The first one is advertising agencies (& their clients) using psychology to make people either afraid not to use their products, such as bacterial hand washes which have been proven to be ineffective, or making people buy things because they are afraid that they are not up with the current trends & don't want to appear as if they don't have a clue. And, the second thing is parents buying their children whatever they want regardless of the parents economical situation. There was one couple, who were renting, that bought their daughter a horse because it made her happy. Knowing how much a good horse costs to buy plus the cost of the upkeep etc, the parents probably could have saved up a deposit on a house. And another mother, an immigrant, bought her daughter a $1000 bag because she wants her to have what she didn't have even though the family isn't rich & was debating about whether they would have enough money for food for the week. Who does that? No wonder I have to deal every day with interns who have expectations way beyond what they should have &/or have expectations of instant gratification. Mind you, I am not afraid to pull them up & tell them off &, funnily enough, they usually apologise & tone down their behaviour. Maybe I am getting old & expect too much but, somehow, I don't think so.

Last edited by DrG on Thu Oct 01, 2015 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 1:31 pm 

Nah. One of the best things about getting older is realizing that you don't have to care what other people think.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 9:32 pm 

Starting a conversation with the words 'No offence...' (in other words, I am about to cause offence) or 'I'm not being funny...' (in other words, I am being funny - and not in the amusing sense).

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 8:13 pm 

tootsie323 wrote:
Starting a conversation with the words 'No offence...' (in other words, I am about to cause offence) or 'I'm not being funny...' (in other words, I am being funny - and not in the amusing sense).

No offense, but you are a total idiot for thinking anything like this. Your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries.

I do love the arse-backwards belief that saying no offense would make a statement non-offensive, regardless of what comes around it. I'm definitely with you on this one.

My annoyance, I started watching Doctor Who on iPlayer but because it is still on you can't fast-forward or anything. What's more, if you watch it from the start (rather than "live") and you go to pause it the way pretty much every single videoplayer on Xbox works, you end up stopping playback. And it restarts from the beginning. And you can't fast forward. Very irritating. All I wanted was to gherkin in peace and not miss my show.

Also, why is Doctor Who now so late in the year and on so late at night (relatively speaking)? I guess the answer to both is probably The X-Factor.

Also, probably done this one before but Netflix and older TV shows. Only Fools and Horses and Still Game went up recently. Great. Both shows have been off the air for quite a while and so I assumed they'd have them all. Nope, S1 and 2 of Only Fools. That's not as odd as only have S4&5 of Still Game though. For shows that are still on, or very recently finished I can understand the final series might be too expensive or something. Shows like this though - where most of the DVDs they are going to sell must have been sold etc seems odd.

Anyway, this rant might have killed enough time that Doctor Who will have finished and I can watch it on iPlayer and skip forward to where I was before this whole saga began.

Edit: The swear filter definitely made one of my earlier statements seem a bit dirtier than it was.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 6:24 pm 

Being out of a job sucks. Like, seriously sucks. Only been 4 weeks, and I've never hated anything more. My daily routine is completely out of whack, I'm firing off what feels like a million application forms, and it's soul destroying.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 8:22 pm 

huggybear wrote:
Being out of a job sucks. Like, seriously sucks. Only been 4 weeks, and I've never hated anything more. My daily routine is completely out of whack, I'm firing off what feels like a million application forms, and it's soul destroying.

Good luck. It is not a nice situation. Just be patience, sometimes it just takes being at the right place at the right time

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 5:30 pm 

SchumieRules wrote:
huggybear wrote:

Good luck. It is not a nice situation. Just be patience, sometimes it just takes being at the right place at the right time

I had about 4 months off after finishing Uni in 2011. After a couple of weeks, the appeal of just fannying about and relaxing wore very thin. I ended up asking my boss if I could start work for him early. He said that changing the paperwork would be a massive hassle so I ended up offering to work for free that month (admittedly, on my own project so wasn't like a proper job). Hope you find something soon.

I did have a job interview that went ultra-well a few years ago because I mentioned at the lunch I liked F1 and I spoke to the recruiter for the full 75 mins about F1 and so really broke the ice ahead of the interview.

Anyway, my annoyance for the day is that my internet connection is being rather slow. I can't stream Netflix, Youtube or NFL network. I forgot just how much I rely upon the internet for my entertainment these days. Thankfully, have some DVDs and a tivo box, but I'd like to be watching the NFL from last night just now.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2015 1:40 pm 

Bloody Scottish Weather! :x

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 4:31 pm 

On the way to visit my girlfriend and the clutch or gearbox has just blown up 40 miles from home and in the middle of nowhere. Next bus stop to the nearest town is a couple of miles away and a train from there to either hers or mine is tomorrow :-((

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 5:33 pm 

minchy wrote:
On the way to visit my girlfriend and the clutch or gearbox has just blown up 40 miles from home and in the middle of nowhere. Next bus stop to the nearest town is a couple of miles away and a train from there to either hers or mine is tomorrow :-((

Wow. Good luck mate

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 6:08 pm 

SchumieRules wrote:
minchy wrote:

Wow. Good luck mate

Ha ha, cheers! I've made it back to Skipton now, cars dumped on a service station forecourt (it was the clutch, so a bit better than the gearbox) and waiting to get picked up by a mate and taken back home to York.

No female company for me this week, but at least I've got friends who will help each other out when needed.

Update: Found a pub to wait in that has Hobgoblin on tap. Silver linings and all that :]

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 9:43 pm 

minchy wrote:
SchumieRules wrote:
minchy wrote:

Wow. Good luck mate

Ha ha, cheers! I've made it back to Skipton now, cars dumped on a service station forecourt (it was the clutch, so a bit better than the gearbox) and waiting to get picked up by a mate and taken back home to York.

No female company for me this week, but at least I've got friends who will help each other out when needed.

Update: Found a pub to wait in that has Hobgoblin on tap. Silver linings and all that :]

Too late for this time, but maybe for again, or someone else here- Use Tesco tokens to pay your RAC membership. You do not have to shop at Tescp, but use their credit card. If you pick your time, you get double or quadruple value for the points. For example, buy fuel and get free recovery if you need it.

( Yes, its annoying people always tell you after you needed things)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 12:22 am 

New COD out today - not bothered about the multiplayer, not overly fussed about the campaign (although it's co-op now which should make it more fun), but it's Treyarch and I've been looking forward to their next zombie release for ages now. I pre-ordered a digital copy so that I could download it in advance and play it at 00:01 straight away without waiting to install and half download it if I had the physical copy. Turn on at 00:01 and after downloading all 45GB in advance, all I get is 'update required'! All 3.5GB of it which wasn't available for download at 23:59 and downloading at 4Mbps when the xbox is telling it has 62Mbps available :-((

Why is it that developers can't ever release a finished product anymore? With in house alpha testing and open beta testing for millions, they still can't get it right.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 9:02 am 

huggybear wrote:
Internet/Text speak. And emoticons. And phrases like 'I can't even', 'that awkward moment when', and other similar phrases that massacre language. It makes me annoyed beyond belief that the internet, with all its vast knowledge has made people's ability to communicate even worse.

I'm not even an english native speaker so probably make lots of spelling mistakes etc., but what really annoys me on this forum is the use of "of" when there should be an "have" instead! "He couldn't of done that". Is that because that's how you pronounce it?

PF1 Pick 10 Competition 2016: CHAMPION (2 wins, 8 podiums)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 11:05 am 

Covalent wrote:
I'm not even an english native speaker so probably make lots of spelling mistakes etc., but what really annoys me on this forum is the use of "of" when there should be an "have" instead! "He couldn't of done that". Is that because that's how you pronounce it?

I think its a combination of the pronunciation and because there are a few double contractions in English, but they are very uncommon. Once such double contraction is couldn’t’ve [could not have] but almost all native English speakers are not aware that this is a valid double contraction (even MS word will red line it as an incorrect spelling). (Some more common examples are shouldn't've and wouldn't've)

And because a lot of people write by "thinking" about what they are saying as they write (particuarly people like me that are Dislexic), they will write phonetically, leading to the "couldn't of" because the double contraction couldn't've sounds almost identical to "couldn't of".

It may also be partly because most schools here in the UK teach that double contractions are not valid in the English language, when they are. I went through all my school life thinking "couldn't've" was incorrect, only for a elderly neighbour who used to teach English to show me otherwise (sure enough - right there in the dictonary).

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 8:22 pm 

But even without a double contraction it's only an extra 2 keystrokes to type "couldn't have" rather than "couldn't of" with bonus of it being correct.

I tend to not point such things out on forums like this that I know have a lot of non-native English speakers, but I'll let my friends and family have it on social media.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 10:13 pm 

It's because people haven't learnt how the contraction was formed from the word "have" and not the word "of". It's compounded by the opinion held by some people that there is no particular right or wrong way to say, write, or spell anything and that rules are not prescriptive and only a reflection or a guide.
Also, I went to school with people who would happily say, "should of, could of, would of" and that's how they pronounced it.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2015 9:23 pm 

Saz wrote:
Covalent wrote:

I think its a combination of the pronunciation and because there are a few double contractions in English, but they are very uncommon. Once such double contraction is couldn’t’ve [could not have] but almost all native English speakers are not aware that this is a valid double contraction (even MS word will red line it as an incorrect spelling). (Some more common examples are shouldn't've and wouldn't've)

And because a lot of people write by "thinking" about what they are saying as they write (particuarly people like me that are Dislexic), they will write phonetically, leading to the "couldn't of" because the double contraction couldn't've sounds almost identical to "couldn't of".

It may also be partly because most schools here in the UK teach that double contractions are not valid in the English language, when they are. I went through all my school life thinking "couldn't've" was incorrect, only for a elderly neighbour who used to teach English to show me otherwise (sure enough - right there in the dictonary).

Interesting, thanks. I wasn't aware of double contractions, but maybe it was a bad example since they also say things such as could of or would of.

PF1 Pick 10 Competition 2016: CHAMPION (2 wins, 8 podiums)

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2015 10:19 pm 

Because of my mother in law's regional accent she has her own contraction for couldn't've which would be spelled "c'u'nt've" and pronounced "c u n t o f"

Last edited by flyboy10 on Mon Nov 09, 2015 11:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 6:11 pm 

minchy wrote:
New COD out today - not bothered about the multiplayer, not overly fussed about the campaign (although it's co-op now which should make it more fun), but it's Treyarch and I've been looking forward to their next zombie release for ages now. I pre-ordered a digital copy so that I could download it in advance and play it at 00:01 straight away without waiting to install and half download it if I had the physical copy. Turn on at 00:01 and after downloading all 45GB in advance, all I get is 'update required'! All 3.5GB of it which wasn't available for download at 23:59 and downloading at 4Mbps when the xbox is telling it has 62Mbps available :-((

Why is it that developers can't ever release a finished product anymore? With in house alpha testing and open beta testing for millions, they still can't get it right.

Devs are under less pressure to get things finished on schedule since console patches became a thing. Publishers know they can patch a half broken game later, but can't make money off a game stuck in development, so they'll release anything they can burn to a disk, take the money and patch it later.
The worst example of this is Batman: Arkham Knight on PC. Rocksteady didn't check it worked well (or at all) when they ported the PS4 version to PC in June. The took loads of money in, then pushed it back to an early access beta version for 4 months while they fixed it, released it at the end of October, while it was still broken, and won't refund anyone who bought a physical copy of it.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 10:02 pm 

This is as much a open mouthed, I can't believe he just said that moment as an annoyance that people like this actually exist!

I was watching I'm a Celebrity in the bar at work with one of my staff and a customer and Kieran Dyer was telling a story about being 23, buying a Ferrari and crashing it doing laps around Newcastle Quayside like an idiot. I made the comment to the staff member 'typical kind of person who can afford to and buys a Ferrari and can't control it' and the customer pipes up and says 'yeah, f*cking black'

8O 8O 8O :uhoh:

I mean really? WTF!!!!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 11:13 pm 

minchy wrote:
This is as much a open mouthed, I can't believe he just said that moment as an annoyance that people like this actually exist!

I was watching I'm a Celebrity in the bar at work with one of my staff and a customer and Kieran Dyer was telling a story about being 23, buying a Ferrari and crashing it doing laps around Newcastle Quayside like an idiot. I made the comment to the staff member 'typical kind of person who can afford to and buys a Ferrari and can't control it' and the customer pipes up and says 'yeah, f*cking black'

I mean really? WTF!!!!

Yeh, who in their right mind buys a BLACK Ferrari.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 11:12 am 

moby wrote:
minchy wrote:

I mean really? WTF!!!!

:lol: After being genuinely really tiddled off with the guy who said that, that's made me chuckle! And to answer you're question - Chris Evans, for £12m!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 11:46 am 

minchy wrote:
moby wrote:
minchy wrote:

I mean really? WTF!!!!

:lol: After being genuinely really tiddled off with the guy who said that, that's made me chuckle! And to answer you're question - Chris Evans, for £12m!

I did stipulate "in their right mind" :]

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 12:03 pm 

One month from the end of my contract, and the charging port of my phone fails! I was able to get the lead out, but no way to charge that phone anymore as the contact looks more like a blob than a mini-usb receiver. Since I really need a mobile, I had no choice but to get a new phone with a new contract and cancel my old one.

The bit that most annoyed me was that because it was a cancelled contract, I couldn't retain my old number. That is the number I had from my first mobile phone, its never changed in 14 years. R.I.P loyal old number, you served me well.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 12:10 pm 

Saz wrote:
One month from the end of my contract, and the charging port of my phone fails! I was able to get the lead out, but no way to charge that phone anymore as the contact looks more like a blob than a mini-usb receiver. Since I really need a mobile, I had no choice but to get a new phone with a new contract and cancel my old one.

The bit that most annoyed me was that because it was a cancelled contract, I couldn't retain my old number. That is the number I had from my first mobile phone, its never changed in 14 years. R.I.P loyal old number, you served me well.

Did you get a repair cost on it? Last one I did took 10 min and the part was £2.70 inc postage from ebay.

(Some clever *inaudible* always tells you later dont they)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 12:12 pm 

Or get a wireless charger, or a temporary prepay burner...

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 12:54 pm 

moby wrote:
Saz wrote:

Did you get a repair cost on it? Last one I did took 10 min and the part was £2.70 inc postage from ebay.

(Some clever *inaudible* always tells you later dont they)

I actually took it apart myself to see what damage had been done. When it overheated it took the whole charging regulation circuit with it. So even if I could somehow fix the charging port or use a wireless charger, it would simply dump unregulated charge into the circuit and overheat the battery (And Lithium based batteries tend to melt when they overheat). And like most stuff nowadays, it all integrated circuit boards so you can't get individual components most of the time. And even if I could get the parts, trying to solder onto circuits like that is a nightmare.

I had the phone under insurance, so I could have sent it off and got a replacement through, but that takes time, and I need a working phone right now due to some family stuff. So even though it would have only been about 14 days, I couldn't wait that long. I needed a phone that day.

It was just annoying because I had so little time left on my old contract. I was within my 30 day notice period for that contract as well, so its not cost me any extra on that front. On the other hand, there are now some people that used to have my number that don't, so that's a positive. And my new phone is pretty awesome too. So not as bad as it could have been, but still very annoying.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 2:00 pm 

Amazon Logistics... They seem to be doing their best to dethrone Yodel as the worst courier service in the UK.

They employ half-wits who don't have the insight to try a buzzer on a block of flats. On Saturday I was sat in waiting for my parcel to arrive, suddenly I get an email on my phone telling me my package has been left with a neighbour. The buzzer to my flat is so loud that it makes you jump out of your skin when it rings so I can't work that one out.

My OH took a parcel the other day, and the delivery guy pretty much forced her to take a parcel for a neighbour because he couldn't deliver it. She didn't read the address on the parcel and when I came back I realised that he'd left us a parcel for someone 3 streets away instead of for someone else in the flat block. The delivery guy put a note through the neighbour's door saying we had taken his parcel but we hadn't got it.

I've also had things delivered by them before when I've been out and they've just been left in the communal area of the flat block for anyone to pick up.

Because of the way they operate I can't order things into work because I can't be sure anyone will be in to take it if they come after hours like they sometimes do, and unless you want to pay a premium you're pretty much stuck with using their service now if you order through Amazon.

2015 - 6th

Pick 10 Podiums:
1st Place: USA 2012, Japan 2013, USA 2015
2nd Place: Bahrain 2015, Barcelona 2015
3rd Place: China 2014

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 6:20 pm 

coulthards chin wrote:
Amazon Logistics... They seem to be doing their best to dethrone Yodel as the worst courier service in the UK.

They employ half-wits who don't have the insight to try a buzzer on a block of flats. On Saturday I was sat in waiting for my parcel to arrive, suddenly I get an email on my phone telling me my package has been left with a neighbour. The buzzer to my flat is so loud that it makes you jump out of your skin when it rings so I can't work that one out.

My OH took a parcel the other day, and the delivery guy pretty much forced her to take a parcel for a neighbour because he couldn't deliver it. She didn't read the address on the parcel and when I came back I realised that he'd left us a parcel for someone 3 streets away instead of for someone else in the flat block. The delivery guy put a note through the neighbour's door saying we had taken his parcel but we hadn't got it.

I've also had things delivered by them before when I've been out and they've just been left in the communal area of the flat block for anyone to pick up.

Because of the way they operate I can't order things into work because I can't be sure anyone will be in to take it if they come after hours like they sometimes do, and unless you want to pay a premium you're pretty much stuck with using their service now if you order through Amazon.

Amazon Logistics are essentially a really really awful delivery service called APLE that Amazon bought out and rebranded without actually changing the service in any way. They once texted me to say that they rung my bell and no one answered so they couldn't deliver it, while I was sitting on my front porch wondering why my next day delivery hadn't turned up at half 7.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 8:35 pm 

Annoyances, Andrew Castle commentating on the Davis Cup final, at the end of it he was talking about England winning the World Cup in 1966, Man Utd & Liverpool winning the Football European Cup, I'm no Celtic fan but Celtic were the 1st British team to win the European Cup, somebody should had pointed out to him that it was Team GB, not team Team England, or should I say it was Team Scotland that won it for Team GB, rant over.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 6:17 pm 

scotlandforever wrote:
Annoyances, Andrew Castle commentating on the Davis Cup final, at the end of it he was talking about England winning the World Cup in 1966, Man Utd & Liverpool winning the Football European Cup, I'm no Celtic fan but Celtic were the 1st British team to win the European Cup, somebody should had pointed out to him that it was Team GB, not team Team England, or should I say it was Team Scotland that won it for Team GB, rant over.

Scotland and Wales get grouped as Britain when they win at sports, and as their individual nations when they don't. It's why Jackie Stewart and Jim Clark are British WDCs, and David Coulthard is a Scottish F1 driver.

I generally have an issue with English bias just because English media love to overhype the most average of their sports stars, while questioning any and every foreign talent under the sun.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 5:38 pm 

Trains in winter. So far in the last three work days, I've had a full signal failure at Charing Cross today, huge delays yesterday at Wimbledon for some reason (we weren't told why), and on Friday there were big delays at Waterloo. It's incredibly frustrating.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 9:10 pm 

huggybear wrote:
Trains in winter. So far in the last three work days, I've had a full signal failure at Charing Cross today, huge delays yesterday at Wimbledon for some reason (we weren't told why), and on Friday there were big delays at Waterloo. It's incredibly frustrating.

Could be worse, my girlfriend was suppose to be coming to stay for the week from Cumbria! But at least they have a reason for their trains being delayed.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2015 2:36 pm 

Why can't British schools just do a normal nativity play anymore? Why does it always have to have some weird concept to try and make it different but is never any good?

Whether you're a christian or not or believe in the story, that story is still the reason we have the traditions of Christmas, so why can't the just act it out like it is written. If they want a non-religious play, just do a non-religious play at the end of the autumn term instead of a nativity.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 11:07 am 

BBC News has a little box pop up at the bottom. Breaking News it says.

Has Russia declared war on Turkey? Has something interesting happened at parliament? Hope it's not terrorist attacks or that kind of thing.

No.

Two parents have posted a picture of themselves their young kid and announced where he will go to nursery.

Okay, it's members of the Royal family, but this is news on a par with actual important events? I think not. If I was reading okay magazine then fine, but this is the BBC. It actually depresses me that this is considered breaking news. I really need to get a new source for news.

I seriously wish I had gone through with my plans to cancel my TV license.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 6:55 pm 

You do not get news anymore. You get opinions.