planetf1.com

It is currently Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:51 pm

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Post subject: Re: Annoyances
PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 8:40 pm 

mac_d wrote:
huggybear wrote:
I've got a job interview on Wednesday, and they need me to bring in my degree/a level/gcse certificates. I can find none of them. Was already nervous, but now I'm bricking it so much I could build someone an extension.

Not sure what to do in that situation. Hopefully they understand you might not have seen these bits of paper in a few years. I had to bring in my degree for my new job, and it took a few hours digging around my folks house to find it.

If anyone ever asked for my Standard Grades or Higher results I'd be in a little bit more trouble, I have no idea where they are and haven't had need for them since I got them in 2003-2006.

Hope you find the certificates, and I hope the interview goes well.

I needed my certificates for my latest position - and I hadn't even been awarded them yet. They gave me a conditional offer which they confirmed when I could show them the certificate.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 8:36 am 

huggybear wrote:
I've got a job interview on Wednesday, and they need me to bring in my degree/a level/gcse certificates. I can find none of them. Was already nervous, but now I'm bricking it so much I could build someone an extension.

Last time this happened to me I asked the secretary from my Uni department to send out a letter, confirming that I studied at that Uni for both of my degrees and the grades achieved.

Should take her 5' to do it, post it to you in time for the interview. They should hopefully accept it.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 11:29 am 

Well, that interview sucked. I had to do a practical task for the one practical I've never done. It bombed.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 11:48 am 

huggybear wrote:
Well, that interview sucked. I had to do a practical task for the one practical I've never done. It bombed.

Well, don't get downhearted, you'll get more opportunities. It's all added experience in the end of the day. Good luck!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 1:22 pm 

SchumieRules wrote:
huggybear wrote:

Well, don't get downhearted, you'll get more opportunities. It's all added experience in the end of the day. Good luck!

I once went on an interview and somehow accidentally claimed that I can "work hard, when neccessary". I meant to say I knew the difference between the times where a bit of fun is allowed and the times when you need to knuckle down and get on with it. Phrasing that thought so very poorly meant I had no chance. Live and learn.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 1:24 pm 

mac_d wrote:
SchumieRules wrote:
huggybear wrote:

I once went on an interview and somehow accidentally claimed that I can "work hard, when neccessary". I meant to say I knew the difference between the times where a bit of fun is allowed and the times when you need to knuckle down and get on with it. Phrasing that thought so very poorly meant I had no chance. Live and learn.

Ouch!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2015 12:28 pm 

I woke up to find hundreds/thousands of tiny polystyrene balls in the living room, courtesy of a rat chewing through a corner of my bean cushion. Took hours to clear the mess.

Then I found a rat killed by my dogs just outside the carport. Perhaps I should explain at this point that I like rats - albeit not in the house 'cos of hygiene problems.

A few months ago I spent weeks catching rats in a trap and releasing them outside, and thought I'd found and sealed all their entry points - but a couple were obviously still indoors and my rat trap (which wasn't v good anyway) had rusted beyond use...

Even though Thailand is a Buddhist country, its pretty much impossible to find humane rat traps - so I'm extremely annoyed!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 9:44 am 

Why is it so feckin hard to speak to an actual person at HMRC?

I've been trying for over a week now, but don't really have the time to wait on hold for more than 30 mins a day! But as soon as you're past a deadline when owing them money, they're quick enough to constantly call you, write to you and even come knocking at your door if they want you.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 9:55 am 

Frozen Shoulder :-((

Not sure what's more annoying, the pain or the amount of money I'm going to need to spend on physio because waiting for the NHS isn't really an option

2015 - 6th

Pick 10 Podiums:
1st Place: USA 2012, Japan 2013, USA 2015
2nd Place: Bahrain 2015, Barcelona 2015
3rd Place: China 2014

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 4:26 pm 

Going back a bit, the driver autograph session at the London ePrix last month. -_-

Also, working 9-5 mon-fri without pay.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 4:34 pm 

minchy wrote:
Why is it so feckin hard to speak to an actual person at HMRC?

I've been trying for over a week now, but don't really have the time to wait on hold for more than 30 mins a day! But as soon as you're past a deadline when owing them money, they're quick enough to constantly call you, write to you and even come knocking at your door if they want you.

Well it's like the joke (with some truth) about the two queues at the tax office. The one for payments in which moves very quickly and is attended by half a dozen staff - and the queue for rebates which is stupidly long and only attended by one person. Go figure!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 6:00 pm 

And another national anthem, the US one at the Moto GP murdered by someone that looked like a failed America Gots Tallent singer, who couldn't reach the high notes.

Come on world.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 4:21 am 

People who keep talking during a movie really annoy me so much.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 10:05 am 

2fast wrote:

They are supposed to now. Since the days of the jazz singer :twisted:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 6:45 pm 

moby wrote:
2fast wrote:

They are supposed to now. Since the days of the jazz singer :twisted:

XD

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 4:24 pm 

Just doing a quick search to find out what kind of animal Flop is from the kids tv show Bing. And according to netmums, they couldn't care what kind of animal he is and are all shocked and appalled that there are no adult roles in the show and that all the kid type toys are just looking after each other with no supervision!!!!!!

Get a grip ladies, it's a tv show! i.e. Fictional. How are these people so up tight?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 9:07 pm 

ASDAs. Tescos. Lidls.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 9:30 pm 

AngusWolfe wrote:
ASDAs. Tescos. Lidls.

I find them all fine usually.

Its the BL***Y people in them that get me :]

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2015 6:39 am 

One of my dogs peed in the bedroom during the night. During our early a.m. walk, two of my dogs fought and one required two staples for the worst bite wound.

Went to the ATM and locked my keys and purse under the seat of my scooter, necessitating a long walk home and then back with the spare key.

All in all, not one of my better mornings :lol: !

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2015 9:30 am 

moby wrote:
AngusWolfe wrote:
ASDAs. Tescos. Lidls.

The shops are fine, it's the people who unnecessarily add an S on to the end of their names that annoy me.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2015 11:37 am 

AngusWolfe wrote:
moby wrote:
AngusWolfe wrote:
ASDAs. Tescos. Lidls.

The shops are fine, it's the people who unnecessarily add an S on to the end of their names that annoy me.

Maybe they are putting an apostrophe in it and using the names Asda, Tesco and Lidl as company names, then saying it as though it is that companies store? Such as 'I'm going to Tesco's store'.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2015 5:04 pm 

Morrisons added an s itself without the apostrophe on its signs, but the full company name is WM Morrison supermarkets, so is the sign an abbreviation? Sainsbury has added an apostrophe on its signs, both are family names. I think Waitrose did it right.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2015 5:34 pm 

Hmmm, the grocers apostrophe :D

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2015 5:41 pm 

And
Butchers
Butcher's
Butchers'

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2015 10:35 pm 

Sainsbury's and Morrisons (as grammatically incorrect as the latter is) don't bother me because they were started by a Mr Sainsbury, and a Mr. Morrison. They belong(ed) to people. There was no Mr. Tesco.
I will allow Marks and Spencers, even though there is only an S at the end of Marks, because it's a name and can cause confusion.
minchy wrote:
AngusWolfe wrote:
moby wrote:
AngusWolfe wrote:
ASDAs. Tescos. Lidls.

Maybe they are putting an apostrophe in it and using the names Asda, Tesco and Lidl as company names, then saying it as though it is that companies store? Such as 'I'm going to Tesco's store'.

Why? It's shorter to say Tesco. They're literally wasting their breath. The shop is called Tesco, call it Tesco.

I admit it's more of a pet peeve than a real annoyance, but it's one that's infuriating me since I started working in retail again recently.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 11:20 am 

AngusWolfe wrote:
Sainsbury's and Morrisons (as grammatically incorrect as the latter is) don't bother me because they were started by a Mr Sainsbury, and a Mr. Morrison. They belong(ed) to people. There was no Mr. Tesco.
I will allow Marks and Spencers, even though there is only an S at the end of Marks, because it's a name and can cause confusion.
minchy wrote:
AngusWolfe wrote:
moby wrote:
AngusWolfe wrote:
ASDAs. Tescos. Lidls.

Why? It's shorter to say Tesco. They're literally wasting their breath. The shop is called Tesco, call it Tesco.

I admit it's more of a pet peeve than a real annoyance, but it's one that's infuriating me since I started working in retail again recently.

In my town we have 3 Tesco :uhoh:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 11:40 am 

Marks & Spencer should annoy you well really! It was founded by a Yorkshireman and an eastern European/Russian immigrants in the 19th century called Thomas, so no s requited on Spencer :-P

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 12:25 pm 

SchumieRules wrote:
Hmmm, more coming to me now. Cyclists with strobe lights, seriously they should ban that sh*t. I know they want to be visible, but blinding someone can be equally as bad. Let alone giving someone an epileptic seizure.

People with hoodies or with "attitude". I understand, I was 15 once too. But when you are 30, it is not funny anymore. Grow the hell up.

Trust me, strobe bikes lights are far less damaging than drivers who don't bother to dip their headlights when approaching me on my bike.

And what's wrong with hoodies? I admit some have dreadful logos and writing on them, but as someone that teaches PE outside in winter, they're a god send...

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 2:22 pm 

I like a hoodie. Same weight and warmth as a jumper, but if it starts to rain or you get cold you stick the hood up. Plus, I always buy zipper rather than pullover ones so you can adjust your temperature a little bit more. Or only put the hood on and pretend you are a super hero. [Or if you are about to rob someone outside a shopping centre, you put the hood up!]

All my hooded tops are plain in colour, except I own 2 Minnesota Vikings hoodies which have logos. I'm closer to 30 than 15 ( :( ) but I do approve of a hoodie. That said, I do think I still dress like I'm and 18 year old student. So take from that what you will.

Major annoyance: Adblock seems to have stopped working for me on this laptop (fine on my PC). Is this what the internet is like without adblock? Youtube is much, much less pleasant to use. Actually, I wouldn't use YT much if this was how it always was. Most websites I frequent actually annoy me now. This one is relatively inoffensive (one advert, places in what would otherwise be dead space). Youtube and TV tropes are annoying. However, I do think using adblock is a bit of a dick move. I think I might like an option on some of my favourite website to go ad-free for a small fee. None of the sites I use a lot have this, but I have seen it in quite a few places.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 9:03 pm 

moby wrote:

Then it's Tesci ;)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 10:14 am 

AngusWolfe wrote:
moby wrote:

Then it's Tesci ;)

And the employees would be Tescosi then?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 10:59 am 

moby wrote:
AngusWolfe wrote:
moby wrote:

Then it's Tesci ;)

:lol:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 11:17 am 

moby wrote:
AngusWolfe wrote:
moby wrote:

Then it's Tesci ;)

That would be the fans!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 3:37 pm 

There is a story doing the rounds today that really I see absolutely no value from it.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-33973394

This is basically a report that someone on a plane at some crisps.

Sure, it's the Prime Minister of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland. But I don't see what value there is from this. They seem to be going for a "man of the people" PR exercise report on it. Frankly, him eating crisps and taking a budget flight just makes me think he's a guy that eats crisps and didn't want to pay more than he needed to for a flight. I expect PR plays a part, but this just seemed like an utter non-story.

BBC starting to really annoy me over the last 5 or so years. I'm really tempted to ditch my TV license altogether just so I don't have to get annoyed like this.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 10:09 pm 

There's another thing that annoys me, people who watch live TV and don't pay their TV licence, but will spend £6 on a coffee every morning and smoke 20 a day. It's £5 a week, it's not expensive for christs sake.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 11:31 am 

Spectacles!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WHY is it that the only ones you can get today are about the size of keyholes?

First, I think they look poor in a fashion sense, but I don't have a fashion sense so forget that.

What gets me, and I am sure anyone who wares them and actually does anything will agree, is the tiny window you are looking through is fine if you sit by a desk, but you lay down and try to look (what becomes) overhead, and they are up shading your eyebrows and all you can see is frame. Added to this, most seem to have huge thick side arms, so you can not see anything in peripheral.

I can not get my old "Dennis Taylor" frames re glazed and can not get anything more than a third the size.

To work under a car dashboard, I had to resort to using tape to hold them in place just so I could see. :blush:

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 4:48 pm 

AngusWolfe wrote:
There's another thing that annoys me, people who watch live TV and don't pay their TV licence, but will spend £6 on a coffee every morning and smoke 20 a day. It's £5 a week, it's not expensive for christs sake.

A can of worms maybe, but, people who live on benefits yet smoke, drink, obese, buy every latest film/cd/game etc

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 5:02 pm 

bbobeckyj wrote:
AngusWolfe wrote:

A can of worms maybe, but, people who live on benefits yet smoke, drink, obese, buy every latest film/cd/game etc

There is a whole raft of reasons why people are on benefits, and some have worked a lifetime before claiming (which means paying in more than most do in a working life)

Not all are "scroungers"

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 8:09 pm 

For clarity, if I drop my TV license, I'll be dropping my TV connection with it. I almost never watch "TV" on my TV, it's usually playing videogames or watching Netflix or Youtube. I really do not feel I get value for money out of paying for TV.

Though a cursory trip to the TV license website tells me I'd still need a TV license for watching F1 on SkyGo and possibly for watching NFL on Gamepass as some of those games are on TV at the same time. Which is a bit of a *inaudible*.

AngusWolfe wrote:

It is expensive if you don't want to watch stuff that is actually funded by your TV license. My TV pretty much only ever went from Dave or Dave ja vu (for mindless entertainment) or Sky Sports. I don't watch BBC news as I find it to have dropped in quality (or, potentially, I'm much more cynical) and since they stopped showing all F1 races I'd have said there were two shows I watched regularly - Top Gear and Doctor Who. I stopped watch TG a year or two ago. And Doctor Who I watch after the fact on iPlayer, which I can do for free potentially (legally, though one could debate the morality). I already pay a premium to watch Sky Sports, and Dave is funded by advertising. I feel a bit miffed having to pay for BBC (and C4 iirc) if I have no intention of watching their services. A coffee and a cheeky fag I can enjoy so at least my money bought something. If I really do not watch anything supported by the license fee I can understand not wanting to pay for it.

I pay for mine simply because I'd rather avoid any future hassle given it's the rules.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 8:33 pm 

bbobeckyj wrote:
AngusWolfe wrote:

You mean like MPs? :twisted: