planetf1.com

It is currently Fri May 25, 2018 8:55 am

All times are UTC

Forum rules

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 12:49 am 

The discussion of the SNES mini made me think of the N64 and I had an urge to play Perfect Dark. Downloaded it onto my Xbone. I should have remembered that it didn't age well. I love the N64 and I loved Goldeneye 007 and Perfect Dark on the N64 but they both aged horrifically. Some games aged well - Mario 64, Banjo Kazooie, Smash Bros, Lylat Wars/Star Fox, Zelda:OoT/MM. Sidenote - I'm not sure how I feel about Mario Kart 64 in this context. Goldeneye and Perfect Dark were great at the time and important games but FPS games of that ilk have had a raft of great improvements in the 20 or so years since that really make obvious that G007/PD were lacking.

Perfect Dark did at least add the permanent on screen aimer to make things easier. Total *inaudible* to aim manually as the game strongly pulls back to neutral. Several times you are given almost no indication of what you are actually supposed to do or what things are essential. On the last regular level, if you use up your grenade launcher ammo before a certain point you fail the mission! Just annoying if you mess up or just use the ammo a few mins in to the game. Now, don't get me wrong I still enjoy the game, but it suffered from advancements to the FPS genre. I also don't do well without regenerating health, though it doesn't bother me as much as I expected. I mean, I guess if this game was very forgiving in the way you play then it'd be over very quickly. None of the levels are especially long so it's not a huge issue. Also, the way Jonathon and Elvis look with their hi-res textures is awful. Elvis is too wrinkly and Jon looks like he's about 85 years old.

It's not a bad game, it's just lacking and certain nice features I've gotten used to are missing. Still a fun game but GE007/PD are the two N64 games that are noticeably less good than how I remember them as being.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 2:22 pm 

Yeah PD was great fun, particularly the profile stats to go with the variety of weapons + their secondary functions and the addition of bots. Played it a few months back with my brother and his mate (we sunk hundreds of hours on it way back) and it was just ok, still enjoyable but as you say been superceded in a few ways over the years since.

Actually prefer the no regen options for the hardest levels, you have some leeway to get past certain bits but the challenge of being consistent and not making a major balls up through the level is preferable to me over checkpoints and infinite respawns where you just hope not to catch a bullshit moment to progress onwards.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 2:30 pm 

Been playing a lot of PUBG lately, still ropey performance-wise on Xbone but really like the format. I'm sure that game mode will get saturated soon enough but it's right up my street, still get a racing heart those times you get into the final circle or two trying to spot the other players. Also got hold of Elite Dangerous, for a game with no real point it's surprisingly addictive with all the styles of play you can have. Really like that you can play very involved with combat and such or just kind of autopilot some parts of it like exploring/transport missions while catching up on TV/whatever.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 3:54 pm 

medgar wrote:
Been playing a lot of PUBG lately, still ropey performance-wise on Xbone but really like the format. I'm sure that game mode will get saturated soon enough but it's right up my street, still get a racing heart those times you get into the final circle or two trying to spot the other players. Also got hold of Elite Dangerous, for a game with no real point it's surprisingly addictive with all the styles of play you can have. Really like that you can play very involved with combat and such or just kind of autopilot some parts of it like exploring/transport missions while catching up on TV/whatever.

I'm taking a break from PUBG on Xbox atm, until they improve the performance a little more, was thinking of downloading the new test server for the weekend though to play on the new map.

Unfortunately it's only available it TPP though so I'm not sure if I'll bother. From what I hear the improvements on the test server have made it a lot smoother so I'm looking forward to them bringing them into the live servers soon at least.

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 5:46 pm 

My buddy picked up a game called "Human Fall Flat" on steam the other day. We did the single player but as a co-op type game, which works pretty well.

Enjoyable game. It's like 8 levels but the sizing and content of the levels isn't split into 8ths. It's mostly physics based puzzles. Move a box from point A to point B through some obstacles kind of thing with a little platforming added in. Fun game and was decent value as it was about £7 or so. However, I found it a little annoying how the areas were laid out. Areas tend to be open to the point where it can be a little confusing as to where you want to go. Hard to solve a puzzle to get to somewhere when you don't know where you are trying to get to. It's done for asthetics and the game does look cool and nice but I think that openness was a little detrimental to the "not swimming pool off the player" factor. I also think a few bits were just a little too precise and more leeway in the puzzle should have been given once you have clearly worked out the general idea.

Enjoyable game. Not one I think I'll be fondly recalling years from now but was a pleasant enough way to kill an evening or two.