planetf1.com

It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:33 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 3:16 pm 

Toby. wrote:
Finally picked up a PS4 on the weekend. The first time I've owned a console in about 10 years. Purchased GT Sport, GTA V and Metal Gear Solid V (all games I enjoyed as a youngin').

First question: How long will it take until I'm not a bumbling fool when it comes to using the controller?

We'll as you bought a ps4 as opposed to an Xbox - a looooong, loooooong time! (I hate PlayStation controllers!)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:49 am 

Picked up Wolfenstein 2 in the Black Friday sales, looking forward to that one. Also cannot wait for PUBG on Xbox, provided it’s not completely unplayable with bugs and such I’ll be picking that up day 1/2 :] I’m also holding off on buying SW Battlefront 2 until I see what EA do with the loot boxes, real disappointment for me as I was looking forward to that game a few months ago.

Addicted to Battlefield 1 at the moment anyway and I’ve still got Telltale GOT and Borderlands to play through in the meantime.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 2:22 pm 

Anyone played the browser based game Universal Paperclip?

http://www.decisionproblem.com/paperclips/index2.html

(If on a phone you may need to request the desktop version, but to be honest, I'd play it on your computer so you can alt tab away and back to it)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 12:05 pm 

Alienturnedhuman wrote:

(If on a phone you may need to request the desktop version, but to be honest, I'd play it on your computer so you can alt tab away and back to it)

What the heck did I just waste 30 mins of my life on?!

That's a simple and awful game, yet I could not bring myself away from it! :]

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 1:05 pm 

Alienturnedhuman wrote:

Oh god... I've wasted so much time today...

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 1:38 pm 

Alienturnedhuman wrote:

Does this mean I’m part of the PC master race now?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 7:01 pm 

minchy wrote:
Alienturnedhuman wrote:

Did you get to the space combat part of it?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:21 pm 

Alienturnedhuman wrote:
minchy wrote:
Alienturnedhuman wrote:

Mine ended when I released the hypno-drones and was able to devote all of the planets resources to making paperclips.

Enjoyable for some time killing. I'd have liked some few bits and bobs changed but given it's a free browser game I can't expect amazing production quality. One the whole, I'm really rather impressed with the whole operation.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:07 pm 

mac_d wrote:
Alienturnedhuman wrote:
minchy wrote:
Alienturnedhuman wrote:

Mine ended when I released the hypno-drones and was able to devote all of the planets resources to making paperclips.

Enjoyable for some time killing. I'd have liked some few bits and bobs changed but given it's a free browser game I can't expect amazing production quality. One the whole, I'm really rather impressed with the whole operation.

No, that's the end of the first 33% of the game. There's a whole two sections after that.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 12:14 am 

Alienturnedhuman wrote:
mac_d wrote:

No, that's the end of the first 33% of the game. There's a whole two sections after that.

Well it wouldn't let me do anything after it, so seemed like the end. Gone forever now anyway.

Finished the Game of Thrones Telltale game. Pretty disappointing. I get the impression from playing this that it was early in Telltale's history compared to something liked Walking Dead S3 which I also played very recently. The first WD game and this both somehow don't quite work as well. Not really sure what the difference is but they feel different and less good. Still fun enough. For the fiver I paid, fine. For my own definition of value, this wouldn't have been worth full price. Not by a long shot.
Some specific spoilers for the GoT game and the show/books
Spoiler: show
It somewhat irks me when you have the never-mentioned on screen characters as stars of the videogames then have them meet a lot of the main characters. Then again, sometimes I like it so kinda fair enough.
Scale. I don't really know the scale involved but Ironrath looks like it has about 20 total people. A garrison of 20 men is a huge security issue. Recruiting what looks like 15 former slaves is seen as a win capable of changing the path of this specific war.

Knowing there isn't a S2, I kinda hoped this would feel like a complete story. Sequel hook instead. The annoying thing, Telltale did similar in WD 1,2 and 3 but still managed to make them feel like their own standalone stories were done, at least the part of the story we were at.

I'm doubtful I could have done anything to change my ending that significantly. Now, I admit this could be a totally unfair accusation but they've made a game that feels like you can make the right choices to save the place. For anyone curious, I got Asher killed. I got Mira beheaded. My maw got stabbed. My soon-to-be-wife got dragged off by bad guys. Pretty much everyone dies. I usually like the everyone dies outcome when the protagonists are pretty much in an impossible situation. You don't really change anything but the fine detail in the other Telltale games. But they don't really tend to make me think they will. Anyway, mileage may greatly vary on that issue for others.

Last edited by mac_d on Tue Dec 05, 2017 3:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 3:27 am 

mac_d wrote:
Alienturnedhuman wrote:
mac_d wrote:

Well it wouldn't let me do anything after it, so seemed like the end. Gone forever now anyway.

I remember thinking the same, but then I did something, it might have been to click the "make paperclip" button again and something happened. Actually, you may have got to the end of the second third. If you harvest 5 octillion paperclips you start the von neuman project and send spaceships to explore the universe and convert the entire universe into paperclips, end up fighting aliens that try to stop you converting the universe into paperclips until you have turned all of them into paperclips as well.

The game is based on the smart AI theory about if you made a machine that had unlimited intelligence whose sole goal was to produce as many paper clips as possible. Such a machine would turn the entire universe into paperclips. It's not as spectacular as SkyNet, but a much more real doomsday AI scenario based on how computers thinking works.

It's also an exploration of exponential growth in mathematics, and if you understand that then the later part of the game becomes really quickly. You have to program the space probes in various fields, one of which was self replication, which providing you can get a exponential growth pattern meant that the speed of universe conversion into paperclips looked like it started slowly, but would just keep gathering speed.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 3:44 am 

Alienturnedhuman wrote:
I remember thinking the same, but then I did something, it might have been to click the "make paperclip" button again and something happened.

If I recall I had the make paperclip button and maybe my processor/memory window (but not special projects) left. I clicked everything that was left and nothing seemed to happen. Did seem like an odd stopping point but also seemed like a logical end.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 1:39 pm 

I did not get to the space combat section :D

I must have gotten bored long before that!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:29 pm 

Got stuck into The Turing Test, which was recently free on Xbox Live. Decent game I thought. Puzzles were of a decent standard and the difficulty curve was well handled (I always think it must be a *inaudible* to design puzzle games).

The plot though. I feel like this is a game that is either trying to be smarter than it is or my own interpretation of morality is not what the Devs think it should have been. To me, the whole issue isn't shades of grey but purely black and white.

Couple of issues with the game. The physics are a little off. When platforms drop, anything on them lingers like Wild E. Coyote. IF you move a platform horizontally the same effect makes things falls off frequently. One puzzle relies on the physics in a specific way that seemed like the only way to do the puzzle, but relied on the physics engine doing what I thought it would which was rarely the case. Of course, my solution may not have actually been the intended solution. Also, one instance of bad design (imo) occurs in one of the optional puzzles. The game has trained you to always carry spare energy because you almost always need it. Having this energy makes a force-field over a door activate. A force-field that looks close to how the door looks without the force-field. Put those together these things and you have an impassable barrier that it is very unclear how to fix. Mileage may vary if that's me being stupid or bad design, but I really think that one aspect is flawed.
Finally, the audiologs in the game are not subtitled. After an incredibly loud gig a few years ago, my hearing is noticeably worse. I often struggle to hear clearly and it's not unusual for me to just read subtitles when I watch stuff and in games, I nearly always put full subtitles on. Subtitle everything, not just the main plot stuff.

Anyway, if anyone else picked this up free or likes reasonably short puzzle games I'd say give it a bash. Took me 7.5 hours and was pleasant for that time.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 8:28 am 

I subtitle everything too! Nothing wrong with my hearing (even after many loud gigs myself), just cause I like to make sure I don't miss anything and often dialogue gets lots in the sfx and music in games and films etc.
. It's also cause I'm used to being quiet so I don't disturb people.

Most of my friends think I'm weird when they see I have games and Netflix etc subtitled, nice to know it's not just me :)