planetf1.com

It is currently Tue Dec 18, 2018 6:00 pm

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Post subject: KONY 2012
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 1:36 pm 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4MnpzG5Sqc

I didn't see a thread or post about this anywhere on the forum. The video is probably the most powerful I've ever seen on the Internet. Everyone needs to watch it.

Post subject: Re: KONY 2012
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 4:36 pm 

Yes! The invisible children group at my school has been active for some years. It's great that the movement is finally getting the attention it deserves. Kony 2012!

"Jesus had a Honda. John 12:49: For I did not speak of my own Accord."

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 6:09 pm 

If anyone lives down south of the UK, on April 20th there's gonna be a mass poster putting up/awareness night as mentioned in the video!

It'd be cool if anyone living nearby could come give us all a hand/start their own night!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 6:57 pm 

Seen threads just like this one on a variety of different forums and Facebook, so I had to see what it was and watched the movie. Glad I did.
Things like this gives me hope for humanity.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 7:52 pm 

I'm going to be honest, I don't see any practical point to the documentary at all.
It's a nice fluff piece to make people feel better about themselves by giving them the opportunity to be outraged for a week or two, click a few buttons on their facebook page, and then forget all about the people involved when a random celebrity dies.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 8:01 pm 

I believe this has to stop I am just not sure this is the right way to do it but good awareness

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 8:07 pm 

I am getting old a cynical as well and have my doubts BUT at least (and at last) the youth are involved in doing something to take charge of their Planet...and its a great start.. All this I applaude and have shared this video for that reason...better to be doing something positive rather than nothing...Makes a change from the latest Z list celebs "viral video"

I hope it takes off and the dude gets what he deserves (arresting and charging) :)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 8:20 pm 

huggybear wrote:
I'm going to be honest, I don't see any practical point to the documentary at all.
It's a nice fluff piece to make people feel better about themselves by giving them the opportunity to be outraged for a week or two, click a few buttons on their facebook page, and then forget all about the people involved when a random celebrity dies.

Yeah, you're most probably right. We can be fickle when it comes to newsworthiness of current events. But I'd much rather hope that events like these can push humanity in the pro-active direction of actually doing something.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:44 pm 

superkaas wrote:
huggybear wrote:

Yeah, you're most probably right. We can be fickle when it comes to newsworthiness of current events. But I'd much rather hope that events like these can push humanity in the pro-active direction of actually doing something.

I think people underestimate the effect a (well produced, appealing-to-the-masses) video can have. Maybe others are seeing people mostly reposting, talking about how outraged they are without really doing anything, but you wouldn't believe how many people from my community have, in the last week, made donations to Invisible Children or charities like it. There has been talk that Invisible Children is not, perhaps, as responsible with their donations as they should be, but there are so many other charities doing the same work who need just as much help.

Donations or not, no movement is going to be successful without an audience paying attention and caring. If it takes a half-hour long video with some popular music and artsy cuts of people chanting to finally give this issue the global attention it deserves, then I'm not complaining.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:07 pm 

Anyone else notice how much he looks like Carl Weathers in Predator?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:29 pm 

Most people are only involved because it's seen as popular to post it on their facebook/twitter whatever and they don't necessarily know about the core problems around child abductions and war lords, not just Kony and Uganda but all throughout Africa. At the moment its a fad, but the real question is will this fad generate change? only time will tell.

Podiums: 11
2018 Championship Standing: oh jeez...

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:44 pm 

In all honesty, though I do have 30 minutes to waste, I'd rather waste them on something I'd pretty much certain to like rather than watching this. I don't even know what it is about other than posts here and comments on YT.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 12:16 am 

mac_d wrote:
In all honesty, though I do have 30 minutes to waste, I'd rather waste them on something I'd pretty much certain to like rather than watching this. I don't even know what it is about other than posts here and comments on YT.

This isn't a video you are supposed to like. It's one that is supposed to let you see just how big the problems are in Uganda. It is a little glossy in parts but on the whole it will open your eyes to what some of those children have to go through. I'd watch it if I were you, then judge it.

No one call anyone a moo-pickle...

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 9:55 am 

The problem with propoganda like this is that almost no one outside of Africa actually cares about African problems, (yeah there's a few redcross workers et al, but no one else,) and you might get a lot of people posting this on twitter or facebook etc, and they'll maybe be thinking 'look at me, look how aware of world issues I am, we need to do something...' etc. But will they do anything? No. This simply isn't a priority for uninvolved nations.

And what can you do anyway, only governments have the power to act and does anyone think that people like Kony actually care what other countires think of him and what he does. Who's going to send their army there to sort it out?

To end on a lighter note, it sounds like a job for Team America: World Police.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 10:50 am 

Christ listen to all the pessimists. Everything starts somewhere, yes there will be those who are involved in sharing this to say 'look at me, I care', but if it even makes a handful of people get off their behinds and try and do something about it how can that be a bad thing? Rather than pouring scorn on it why not get off your behinds and do something?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 4:53 pm 

bbobeckyj wrote:
The problem with propoganda like this is that almost no one outside of Africa actually cares about African problems, (yeah there's a few redcross workers et al, but no one else,) and you might get a lot of people posting this on twitter or facebook etc, and they'll maybe be thinking 'look at me, look how aware of world issues I am, we need to do something...' etc. But will they do anything? No. This simply isn't a priority for uninvolved nations.

And what can you do anyway, only governments have the power to act and does anyone think that people like Kony actually care what other countires think of him and what he does. Who's going to send their army there to sort it out?

But that's just the point of the video! The massive exposure it's gaining is appealing to those who will care to make a difference. Maybe 75% of the people who watch it will only be posting about it on Facebook to make themselves feel important, but if the other quarter of the audience actually donates, and if a portion of those actually begin getting involved and making long-term contributions, that's still a massive improvement. And even the 75% who don't do anything more than watch it.... the problem with Kony is that so many people don't know who he is. This is solving that problem.

Long story short, the "uninvolved nations" will feel compelled to act if their people ask them to. The video is trying to get word out, to appeal to citizens to raise the call. And I think it's going to work.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 11:22 pm 

Leesa wrote:

But that's just the point of the video! The massive exposure it's gaining is appealing to those who will care to make a difference. Maybe 75% of the people who watch it will only be posting about it on Facebook to make themselves feel important, but if the other quarter of the audience actually donates, and if a portion of those actually begin getting involved and making long-term contributions, that's still a massive improvement. And even the 75% who don't do anything more than watch it.... the problem with Kony is that so many people don't know who he is. This is solving that problem.

Long story short, the "uninvolved nations" will feel compelled to act if their people ask them to. The video is trying to get word out, to appeal to citizens to raise the call. And I think it's going to work.

But who and what are they donating to? IC spent more money on self promotion than aid programs in the last financial year.

I'd also argue his killing of people and enslaving children is more of an issue than no one knowing who he is.
Consider Ratko Mladic, head of the Army for Republika Srpska and directly responsible for the largest genocide since the NSDAP at Srebrenica. 90% of people only knew who he was after Serbian special forces captured him and extradited him to the Hague. recaptured and standing trial for his crimes without a massive viral marketing campaign. The important people knew about him, and were looking.

As for nations doing what the people want, it's been a long time since any government has listened to Joe Public. When the UK decided they were going to illegally occupy Iraq, they went as far as to falsify all the evidence that gave them any legal right to be in the country (which was still illegal anyway due to the UN not passing a resolution on the situation), and still invaded, ignoring massive public pressure against such a move.
Conversely, the world's governments just sits on its hands whenever Israel decides to commit warcrimes seemingly at will. They've got illegal occupation of Palestinian land, illegally controlling borders, using illegal incendiary weapons on civilians, boarding civilian vessels and killing people on board, shooting Egyptian soldiers across the border (who they have a peace treaty with), tear gassing news reporters, starting a war with Lebanon (and subsequently calling for dissolution of their government) on the back of a terrorist group abducting two soldiers. All in the last 6 years, all with massive global opposition, and the powers that be do nothing to intervene.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 12:34 pm 

bbobeckyj wrote:

Now you've got me really scared!

Maria de Villota - Jules Bianchi

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 3:25 pm 

huggybear wrote:
Leesa wrote:

But who and what are they donating to? IC spent more money on self promotion than aid programs in the last financial year.

I'd also argue his killing of people and enslaving children is more of an issue than no one knowing who he is.
Consider Ratko Mladic, head of the Army for Republika Srpska and directly responsible for the largest genocide since the NSDAP at Srebrenica. 90% of people only knew who he was after Serbian special forces captured him and extradited him to the Hague. recaptured and standing trial for his crimes without a massive viral marketing campaign. The important people knew about him, and were looking.

As for nations doing what the people want, it's been a long time since any government has listened to Joe Public. When the UK decided they were going to illegally occupy Iraq, they went as far as to falsify all the evidence that gave them any legal right to be in the country (which was still illegal anyway due to the UN not passing a resolution on the situation), and still invaded, ignoring massive public pressure against such a move.
Conversely, the world's governments just sits on its hands whenever Israel decides to commit warcrimes seemingly at will. They've got illegal occupation of Palestinian land, illegally controlling borders, using illegal incendiary weapons on civilians, boarding civilian vessels and killing people on board, shooting Egyptian soldiers across the border (who they have a peace treaty with), tear gassing news reporters, starting a war with Lebanon (and subsequently calling for dissolution of their government) on the back of a terrorist group abducting two soldiers. All in the last 6 years, all with massive global opposition, and the powers that be do nothing to intervene.

Couldn't agree more. Videos like this show how easy it is to manipulate people and play on their emotions. I'm not sure the indiscretions committed by Museveni are discussed in detail, which is convenient, n'est pas?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 5:19 pm 

SenseiFed wrote:
Couldn't agree more. Videos like this show how easy it is to manipulate people and play on their emotions. I'm not sure the indiscretions committed by Museveni are discussed in detail, which is convenient, n'est pas?

I believe they glossed over this with a 'some aspects of a long and complex war were under represented or overlooked' line on their new look website.

Curiously (and worryingly), they employ someone with the job title 'Director of Ideology'.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 7:40 am 

ImageI didn't see a thread or post about this anywhere on the forum.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 2:55 am 

huggybear wrote:
Leesa wrote:

Yes, obviously the bigger issue is what he's doing- but it isn't going to stop unless there is intervention, and the exposure is necessary for such to occur. The examples you've cited of countries not doing what the people want are instances in which the country had selfish reasons for intervening (or not) to begin with.

It's true that it is very rare for a country to do what the people ask, when the situation will lead to little profit for that country. But the US has, to an extent, already answered our calls. The military strategists were put there because we asked them to be. Otherwise, America has little interest in what goes on between Kony and these African countries.

As for Invisible Children and the funds they use for advertising: I've already mentioned that there are many other charities who squander less money and show more of a direct us-to-them aide approach.

This video is giving millions of people an idea of what sorts of things have been occurring in Uganda. Regardless of where the conflict is now, this man is still out there. The more people who know what's going on, the more people who will try to make a change. That's all I'm saying.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 11:09 am 

A must read article:
http://thedailywh.at/2012/03/12/more-on-kony-2012/

The Kony 2012 video is possibly the most effective piece of propaganda in modern times. Millions of people are falling victim to blatant manipulation and emotional blackmail, being stirred into action on a subject they know nothing about and are unwilling to research further. It is understandably tempting to believe you're changing the world by having a worldwide vandalism party and the frankly lazy notion that putting a poster on a wall makes you an admirable activist. Do your research, understand the subject and base your action on truth, not fluff propaganda.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 12:35 pm 

muse wrote:
A must read article:
http://thedailywh.at/2012/03/12/more-on-kony-2012/

The Kony 2012 video is possibly the most effective piece of propaganda in modern times. Millions of people are falling victim to blatant manipulation and emotional blackmail, being stirred into action on a subject they know nothing about and are unwilling to research further. It is understandably tempting to believe you're changing the world by having a worldwide vandalism party and the frankly lazy notion that putting a poster on a wall makes you an admirable activist. Do your research, understand the subject and base your action on truth, not fluff propaganda.

I guess this is a good time to admit that I didn't bother watching the video. I googled the name and my first thought was, 'So what?' he's hardly unique.

There are, and have been countless warlords and atrocities commited in Africa, nothing ever changes, my thoughts in my first post were related to that, this isn't the first thing about African problems which has had millions of views, off of the top of my head the following films and TV, Lord of War; Hotel Rwanda; Black Hawk Down; ER; Ross Kemp; The constant Gardener; Blood Diamond.

The link you provided just sums up everything I was thinking and more so about the Kony 2012 video, I'm not going to sit through 30 minutes of it, but if it really says that he has 30,000 child soldiers (in a country with a population of just 30 million!) where the reality is in the low hundreds, then this just reeks of Iinvisible Children having not much purpose left and needing to add fuel to the fire to re-invigorate their revenues.

I'm not condoning anything here before anyone jumps on the 'you don't agree with this so you're bad' bandwagon. And most charities spend at least 40% of their budget on self promotion, so I.C. inc. probably isn't unique in that respect either.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 12:52 pm 

^ I still think it's worthwile watching merely to study the methods of emotional manipulation. The first time I watched it stirred up very strong emotions. Only after further scrutiny and research did it become clear. I watched it again and noted all the extremely well executed emotional triggers and twisted information to aid its purpose.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 8:35 pm 

Leesa wrote:
Yes, obviously the bigger issue is what he's doing- but it isn't going to stop unless there is intervention, and the exposure is necessary for such to occur. The examples you've cited of countries not doing what the people want are instances in which the country had selfish reasons for intervening (or not) to begin with.

This video is giving millions of people an idea of what sorts of things have been occurring in Uganda. Regardless of where the conflict is now, this man is still out there. The more people who know what's going on, the more people who will try to make a change. That's all I'm saying.

ICC filed the case against the LRA and Joseph Kony in 2005. That's a good 7 years before IC made their heavily biased documentary. The UPDF is hunting him as well (although given their own questionable morality it's a bit pot kettle black). All this was years before social media got itself into pretentious faux-human rights activist mode.
That quite a few people have been idiot baiting with pictures of Apollo Creed in Predator, and getting a lot of grief from idiots thinking it's Joseph Kony shows all you need to know about how counter productive it is for mass exposure.
That Joe Public didn't know who he was shows more about Joe Public's lack of interest in world politics than anything else. There was a lot of freely available information for anyone who cared enough to look. Very few did (for all their faults, Invisible Children is one who did). A bit of exposure, and people are falling over themselves to be outraged. They couldn't tell you anything about the political situations in Uganda, the Congos, and CAR, or why the LRA does what it does, and it's reasoning for justifying its actions, but they can tell you that Joseph Kony is an awful man.
Sure, mass exposure generates revenue for Invisible Children that could be plowed back into helping the people of the affected region, but that's about it.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:50 pm 

Only economic growth and fair distribution of GDP will fix third world problems. When people have no job, no water, no education they are vulnerable to propaganda of terrorists, people like Kony etc.

The facts are that 3rd world is closing gap to 1st world and situation is better than ever, every year, but this is very slow process.

Yes Kony should be arrested, but this is not going to fix the world.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 11:24 pm 

muse wrote:
^ I still think it's worthwile watching merely to study the methods of emotional manipulation. The first time I watched it stirred up very strong emotions. Only after further scrutiny and research did it become clear. I watched it again and noted all the extremely well executed emotional triggers and twisted information to aid its purpose.

I watched it. That was one very expensive production. I know that digital media is cheaper to create than it used to be, but still... The amount of editing from the sheer volume of stock footage alone; and the scripted footage; the actors; dubbing/audio; visual effects; the script writing alone must have taken ages to finish; the editting of the final cut (at 30 minutes, it's probably about 1000 cuts, and that's time consuming, at least a month's full time work alone); it looks like some of the interviews were done specifically for this film, so that's more principal photography, and the costs to fly everyone to wherever to film it...
Most music videos are well over $100k, and used to be easily over $500k for the main record label releases (ie anyone expecting a number one release), I wouldn't be surprised to find out that that film cost a half million to produce, which doesn't seem unreasonable if their revenue was $7 million last year* before this happened.

*Or $1 in every $1000 of the Ugandan GDP! Which is a ridiculous amount of money when considering their sole purpose: "Invisible Children, Inc. is a not-for-profit organization founded in 2004 to bring awareness to the activities of the Lord's Resistance Army (LRA) in Central Africa, and its leader, Joseph Kony." Maybe this will backfire with the over exposure they've had, but they've probably raked in the cash by now and it won't matter that more people will be aware of the critisisms of ICC, especially as so many millions more will not be.

And still, at the end of it all: same continent, same fairy cakes, different warlord.
Why does this guy get 80 million views in ten days?
Why does half the internet retweet, share, like and whatever else?
Why are the masses now calling for action upon a person with whom 'we' have no association, in a country that the west doesn't have major ties with, but those same people complain when 'we' do go into countries we do have interests in.
There's currently a inter-country political dispute over a failed special forces mission to rescue 'western' hostages, there's no chance western powers will be sending a force to actively do anything about this.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 11:33 pm 

http://9gag.com/gag/3212157

This made me laugh and then made me think..

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 3:35 pm 
It's a good cause to protect children and fight those who commit evil. But this very video has receive harsh criticism by the people who were victimized.

Quote:
KAMPALA, Uganda – Ugandan criticism of a viral video about a brutal central Africa warlord continued to swell in the wake of a public screening in a remote Ugandan town once terrorized by the Lord's Resistance Army.

The head of a Ugandan charity that showed "Kony 2012" said Thursday he will suspend further screenings after getting overwhelmingly negative feedback from viewers on Tuesday who failed to understand why there were so many white faces in the video, or why Kony needs to be made famous.

The collective feedback amounts to a rejection of the video in a region that was once terrorized by Kony. The American advocacy group Invisible Children wants to raise global awareness of the fugitive rebel leader who is wanted by the International Criminal Court for war crimes and crimes against humanity.

"There was a strong sense from the audience that the video was insensitive to African and Ugandan audiences, and that it did not accurately portray the conflict or the victims," Victor Ochen of the African Youth Initiative Network, said in a statement. "In particular, viewers were outraged by the KONY 2012 campaign's strategy to make Kony famous and their marketing of items with his image."

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2012/03/15 ... -ugandans/

If you visit the "Invisible Children" website (http://www.invisiblechildren.com/) it is a slick and professional web site that has a link to their store, which conveniently sells awareness products. (http://invisiblechildrenstore.myshopify.com/). You make up your own mind what the balance between compassion and commercialization is.

Unfortunately horrors such as this occur on a daily basis, with most of the civilized world ignoring such evils. Kony and his henchmen started this horrible stuff back in 1986, and was indicted on war crimes in 2005, and has been in hiding since then. The really sad part is that most people are just starting to think they can take action long after the crime was committed. How come no one fought to raise awareness back in 1986, when maybe something could have been done?

At this very moment slavery is still practiced in many places, just follow this link http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slavery_in_modern_Africa Here are some extracts.

Quote:
Sex trade

While institutional slavery has been banned worldwide, there are numerous reports of female sex slaves in areas without an effective government control, such as Sudan, South Africa and Liberia, Sierra Leone, northern Uganda, Congo, Niger and Mauritania. In Ghana, Togo, and Benin, a form of (forced) religious prostitution known as trokosi ("ritual servitude") forcibly keeps thousands of girls and women in traditional shrines as "wives of the gods", where priests perform the sexual function in place of the gods.

Women from other African countries seeking refugee status in South Africa are trafficked by refugees from their own countries already living there. An estimated 1000 Mozambican girls are trafficked to Johannesburg each year and sold as sex slaves or as (unwilling) wives to the Mozambican mine workers. Young women have been trafficked from Thailand and China to South Africa; most serve as prostitutes or cheap labor. When identified by police in South Africa, victims of trafficking are deported as illegal immigrants; victims know the police will deport them and are therefore afraid of law enforcement. Notably, South Africa has no public services specifically designed to help victims of trafficking.

Quote:
Child slave trade

The trading of children has been reported in modern Nigeria and Benin. The children are kidnapped or purchased for $20 – $70 each by slavers in poorer states, such as Benin and Togo, and sold into slavery in sex dens or as unpaid domestic servants for $350.00 each in wealthier oil-rich states, such as Nigeria and Gabon

Quote:
Ritual slavery

Ritual servitude (Trokosi) is a practice in Ghana, Togo, and Benin where traditional religious shrines take human beings, usually young virgin girls in payment for services, or in religious atonement for alleged misdeeds of a family member — almost always a female. In Ghana and in Togo, it is practiced by the Ewe people in the Volta region, and in Benin it is practiced by the Fon.

Maybe instead of getting all excited about something that happened years ago and thus we cannot undo the atrocities of the past, how about we do something about what's happening at this very moment. I wonder how many little girls will be kidnapped today and have their lives forever ruined by being forced into prostitution?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 8:35 pm 

Invisible Children Co-Founder Detained: SDPD

http://www.nbcsandiego.com/news/local/j ... 70255.html

Quote:
A co-founder for Invisible Children was detained in Pacific Beach Thursday night for being drunk in public and masturbating, according to San Diego Police Department.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 11:14 pm 

This is Charlie Brooker's take on KONY:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Igw8fA962X8

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 2:18 pm 

Alienturnedhuman wrote:
This is Charlie Brooker's take on KONY:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Igw8fA962X8

That 4th Estate promo is just a little bit weird. As is the 25 hour silence one:

http://vimeo.com/25163061

But this is just bizarre: http://vimeo.com/17419543

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 8:26 pm 

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2116184/Kony-2012-video-director-Jason-Russell-arrested-drunk-performing-sex-act-public.html?ITO=google_news_rss_feed

Well. That's not good for the charities PR