planetf1.com

It is currently Sun Dec 16, 2018 5:00 pm

All times are UTC

Forum rules

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 11:32 am 

j man wrote:
Did anyone ever watch Robot Combat League? It was a truly terrible robot battling show from the US that somehow made its way over to the UK on the SyFy channel, probably the most hilariously atrocious programme I have ever seen on TV. Entirely staged results, fake damage, fake sparks, a standard robot design, ridiculous trash talk and cringeworthy sob stories. It was worth watching just for the comedy value.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y7bSN30RRCI

I am astounded anyone was willing to give money to make more of them after a pilot. That was incredible in how awful it was. Wow.
(Also, hey, it's Y2J Chris Jericho. Didn't know he presented a TV show).

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 5:03 pm 

Finals tonight. I've unfortunately had the result spoiled for me by a reputable YouTube channel doing an authorised behind the scenes at Battlebots video that included footage from both semi finals, what looks like the final, and a post final clip which heavily implies which robot wins the tournament. Bad form by ABC.

But it looks like it will be epic.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 8:40 pm 

Thanks for not spoiling it for the rest of us, and the warning about YouTube! I'll be catching these tomorrow sometime.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 9:42 am 

Watched it and the final was great - although just like the rest of the season far too much filler. They filmed a ton of "grudge matches" and rumbles, but only showed one. Instead opting to have loads of pointless talking between the presenters. Hopefully the fights not shown will end up on the Internet.

And the result was what was spoiled, in fact it was spoiled in the montage of the very first episode, it's just it wasn't noticed then because no one knew the order of the draw. ABC are a bunch of numpties.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 7:54 pm 

specdecible wrote:
Back at school one of my teachers setup a "Battlebots" competition, two tables were put together and the idea was to have them push each other off the table. With that said the teacher was mainly expecting remote control cars that would bash into each other, lets just say he was surprised when one of the students turned up with a steak knife welded to the front chassis of his armored battlebot. The event didn't go too smoothly as most people had trouble with interfering radio channels and couldn't drive their cars so we could only pit cars against those that had different channels.

Now when my friend was testing out his steak-knifed armored beast he found out quickly that it was too heavy to get any proper grip on the slippery tables, so he took off the armored shell with the knife still welded to the chassis of the car. Now it was his turn and everyone was waiting in anticipation for this match-up to see the carnage this monster would deliver and better yet it was against the teacher himself and everyone gathered around the tables. The match started and just like every other match, trying to get a decent connection from all the other remotes made it slow to get started. Then the knife wielding now unarmored but significantly lighter death-bot came alive and raced out of control from one side of the table straight to the other side flying off the table in the air almost stabbing a girl in the chest as it flew past and then lodged itself into the wall behind her. Long story short, everyone left the room very quietly and maintenance never found out the cause of the massive hole underneath the whiteboard.

Ha ha ha yeah no one saw that coming huh? :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 11:12 pm 

HawaiiF1Fan wrote:
specdecible wrote:
Back at school one of my teachers setup a "Battlebots" competition, two tables were put together and the idea was to have them push each other off the table. With that said the teacher was mainly expecting remote control cars that would bash into each other, lets just say he was surprised when one of the students turned up with a steak knife welded to the front chassis of his armored battlebot. The event didn't go too smoothly as most people had trouble with interfering radio channels and couldn't drive their cars so we could only pit cars against those that had different channels.

Now when my friend was testing out his steak-knifed armored beast he found out quickly that it was too heavy to get any proper grip on the slippery tables, so he took off the armored shell with the knife still welded to the chassis of the car. Now it was his turn and everyone was waiting in anticipation for this match-up to see the carnage this monster would deliver and better yet it was against the teacher himself and everyone gathered around the tables. The match started and just like every other match, trying to get a decent connection from all the other remotes made it slow to get started. Then the knife wielding now unarmored but significantly lighter death-bot came alive and raced out of control from one side of the table straight to the other side flying off the table in the air almost stabbing a girl in the chest as it flew past and then lodged itself into the wall behind her. Long story short, everyone left the room very quietly and maintenance never found out the cause of the massive hole underneath the whiteboard.

Ha ha ha yeah no one saw that coming huh? :lol:

Yes she did. That's why she ducked.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 11:21 am 

Alienturnedhuman wrote:
Yes she did. That's why she ducked.

Quack quack fairy cakes?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 10:33 pm 

*peers round door* Robot Wars was fun!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 10:19 pm 

What great shows! I want them back!!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 2:37 pm 

http://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/latest ... rs-returns

This could be terrible...

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 9:27 pm 

Herb wrote:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/latestnews/2016/robot-wars-returns

This could be terrible...

jimmyj wrote:
What great shows! I want them back!!

Hope you also wished for a million quid!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 4:42 am 

Looking like circa March for my North Wales RC car-based tournament between me and a few friends - originally just something I wanted to do for a while, now looking like a nice precursor to the return of the proper wars for us! If anyone's in the area, or capable of getting here, and interested, drop me a PM :)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 2:03 am 

Also, planning an expanded set of rules for a second event like this. Basically I found this link: http://www.wikihow.com/Build-a-Remote-Controlled-Robot

I may slightly be plotting a couple of bespoke builds...

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 5:01 am 

13 of the 16 machines entered in the tournament I've set up are ready to go, with a dozen extra designs currently in the early planning stages for the second tournament. Should be interesting to see what happens - anyone who wants to see it, the fights will be filmed and stuck on YouTube.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 5:04 pm 

http://www.robotwars.tv

BBC Robot Wars is apparently airing later this month from what was said on Radio 2 when Angela Scanlon was on there. Info on all the entrants is on the new site.