planetf1.com

It is currently Sun Aug 19, 2018 6:09 am

All times are UTC

Forum rules

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 5:36 pm 

Is there already a thread for this?

There's something special happening on Centre court right now.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 6:35 pm 

Gutted for Heather Watson

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 7:07 pm 

Did she choke or did Williams just regroup and come back at her and play better? I thought Watson was doing enough at 3-0 in the final set to be able to serve out the set and match - and then she just didn't seem to be able to hold her own serve. That point for 4-0 where Williams hit the line with a smash was probably the turning point of the whole match.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 7:57 pm 

Looked to me like the game when Heather got broken back took loads out of her. Her serves seemed to really drop off from then on. Serena also seemed to pick it up and hit less unforced errors.

But I've never enjoyed a women's match that much before, I normally find the women's game quite boring but that was just immense!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 7:21 am 

I've always enjoyed Wimbledon since early 80s.

Without trying to disrespect current great players such as Novak Djokovic, Roger Federer, Maria Sharapova, Caroline Wozniacki, etc. but I think we miss those players with character like those in 80s or 90s such as Boris Becker, Stefan Edberg, Pat Cash, Jana Novotna, Chris Evert, etc.

Talking about the past, who can forget the 1988 men's single final between Edberg vs. Becker or the 1998 ladies' single final between Novotna vs. Tauziat?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 1:10 am 

As an Australian I am not particuarly thrilled with Nick Kyrgios this week. I have no problem with players talking to themselves, bashing the racquet with frustration or interacting with the crowd but he crosses the line when calls the umpire scum or argues for minutes on end. I love players like Tsonga and Monfills who have character and show some emotion but I dont see them hurling abuse at the umpires. I hope Kyrgios soon learns the difference between being a geniune character and being a brat.

On a postitive note, I really hope that Djokovic can win this one after that epic French open clash with Wawrinka!

Thanks for the memories Nico

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 9:36 am 

Colesy917 wrote:
As an Australian I am not particuarly thrilled with Nick Kyrgios this week. I have no problem with players talking to themselves, bashing the racquet with frustration or interacting with the crowd but he crosses the line when calls the umpire scum or argues for minutes on end. I love players like Tsonga and Monfills who have character and show some emotion but I dont see them hurling abuse at the umpires. I hope Kyrgios soon learns the difference between being a geniune character and being a brat.

On a postitive note, I really hope that Djokovic can win this one after that epic French open clash with Wawrinka!

Is Kokinakis a better player than Kyrgios? They were supposed to be the new generation of Aussie tennis, but I don't follow tennis so close and I don't know if Kokinakis is even in Wimbledon this year

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 11:43 pm 

Colesy917 wrote:
As an Australian I am not particuarly thrilled with Nick Kyrgios this week. I have no problem with players talking to themselves, bashing the racquet with frustration or interacting with the crowd but he crosses the line when calls the umpire scum or argues for minutes on end.

My issue with Kyrgios is that he continued to argue his case in the interviews instead of just saying "look, it was a heat of the moment thing, this is the biggest tournament of the year" - it's one thing (although I'm not going to say acceptable) to rant on the court, but afterwards when the match is over and you've cooled down it just makes him look petulant.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 7:15 am 

That women's single quarter final match between Maria Sharapova vs. Coco Vandeweghe was brilliant and awesome!

It should be the final match.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 1:23 pm 

I'm listening to Murray's game while at work. The guy (or one of them commentating) that isn't John McEnroe sounds really like Christian Horner. I think so anyway.

Edit: Think it might be Tim Henman actually.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 2:43 pm 

Is it Andrew Castle? I'm just listening to him now and I can tell what you mean :)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 3:27 pm 

It's definitely McEnroe.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 3:33 pm 

Henman and McEnroe were commenting but neither of them sounds like Horner. I think it could be Mark Petchey.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 8:41 pm 

I don't really follow tennis and was jumping in and out of listening, so I'm not sure. But one of them I thought sounded like Horner. I'm pretty bad at voices and accents sometimes so I could just be talking total nonsense.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 6:40 pm 

Why do they throw the ball so high for the serve? The variation in Sharapova's serves today was massive compared to 2004. She was all over the place. Why don't they hit the ball on the up giving less time and distance to wander out of position before hitting it? Surely it would make no difference to the power they could get if they're hitting it at the same height?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 2:29 am 

That is how get a power serve in Wii sports :-P

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 7:17 am 

flyboy10 wrote:
Why do they throw the ball so high for the serve? The variation in Sharapova's serves today was massive compared to 2004. She was all over the place. Why don't they hit the ball on the up giving less time and distance to wander out of position before hitting it? Surely it would make no difference to the power they could get if they're hitting it at the same height?

As someone who plays the odd bit of tennis, its more about positioning and control. If you only throw the ball up a little, you have less time to prepare your swing before you have to move to hit the ball. By throwing it up high, and hitting on the way down, you give yourself some time to get the racket into a good position for maximum power as it lets you swing in an arc. In tennis, the follow through is as important as the shot itself, so anything that allows for a smooth flowing swing is generally better.

There is a limit however. Like you say, too high and you are left waiting for the ball to drop, and it can be blown out of position. In general, the recommendation I was told by one of the coaches at the local tennis club is about your 3/4 of your body height is the height of the toss you should be aiming for. This gives you time to swing up from the waist to maximum extension to get the maximum power out of the serve by hitting the ball at the highest point you can reach.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 3:37 pm 

Saz wrote:
flyboy10 wrote:

As someone who plays the odd bit of tennis, its more about positioning and control. If you only throw the ball up a little, you have less time to prepare your swing before you have to move to hit the ball. By throwing it up high, and hitting on the way down, you give yourself some time to get the racket into a good position for maximum power as it lets you swing in an arc. In tennis, the follow through is as important as the shot itself, so anything that allows for a smooth flowing swing is generally better.

There is a limit however. Like you say, too high and you are left waiting for the ball to drop, and it can be blown out of position. In general, the recommendation I was told by one of the coaches at the local tennis club is about your 3/4 of your body height is the height of the toss you should be aiming for. This gives you time to swing up from the waist to maximum extension to get the maximum power out of the serve by hitting the ball at the highest point you can reach.

I might have happened upon a more efficient and more powerful way to serve then. Imagine if you will going through all of the motions that your right arm needs in order to get the swing you are talking about while also springing up from your waist and knees as you say - but doing all of that before you toss the ball. This is what I do and I'm getting the same power as hitting a falling ball but I'm hitting it on the way up. The ball's where I want it to be when I strike it and the wind hasn't got time to blow it off course. I think there's too much of the attitude in sport of "This is how they've always done it so it must be the best way." e.g. who would have played left-handed snooker shots before Ronnie O'Sullivan or ridden with knees and elbows on the tarmac before Marc Marquez?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2015 7:32 pm 

Martina Hingis still looks like she did 15 years ago.

Great women's doubles final going on.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2015 11:34 pm 

If there was ever a turning point in a match, it was the one where Serena fluked a net cord that was going to be a double fault. It hit the net so far on the wrong side of the court and bounced back the opposite way into the service court. It was going to be a double fault and probably give Muguruza another break of serve - but everything changed after that point. A few times, Serena was very lucky with net cords that could have gone the other way and Garbine missed the baseline by the hairs on a ball a couple of times which could have gone either way on another day.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2015 1:22 pm 

Have they changed the way the players change ends between what used to be odd numbered games? It looks like they're staying on court for the first two games and then swapping and sometimes it looks like they change around without stopping for drinks. Am I going mad?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2015 3:01 pm 

At the beginning of the match, they play 3 games in a row with a switch after the first without a break, because it's only the start of the match After that it's back to the normal switch and break every two games.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2015 9:52 pm 

Thank you. I thought I'd imagined it when they got back into odd-number game change-arounds later. They used to play just one game before the first change. Do they swap ends but not take a break or is it three games at the same end?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2015 10:08 pm 

I just heard Lewis Hamilton got turned away from Wimbledon (or part of the grounds) for not dressing according to the strict dress-code. I daren't start a thread about it. I think the whole place would melt down as fans and detractors fight to state the reasons why it happened and what it means about the man himself.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 1:38 am 

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/tenn ... 84091.html

There it is!

I'm chuckling to myself about this! If he was a paying member of the public who got turned away, then that would be a bit much. But as he was invited to attend in the Roy box with the stipulation of the dress code (and even offered a jacket and tie if he didn't bring his own), then fair enough. He only has himself (or his PR people) to blame.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 10:37 am 

minchy wrote:
http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/tennis/wimbledon/wimbledon-2015-lewis-hamilton-turned-away-from-royal-box-after-falling-foul-of-dress-code-10384091.html

There it is!

I'm chuckling to myself about this! If he was a paying member of the public who got turned away, then that would be a bit much. But as he was invited to attend in the Roy box with the stipulation of the dress code (and even offered a jacket and tie if he didn't bring his own), then fair enough. He only has himself (or his PR people) to blame.

Yes that amused me too, I can almost imagine him rocking up and being shown the spare jacket/tie and thinking I'm not f###ing wearing that in public...

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2016 6:32 pm 

With Murray, Watson, Whiley & Reid all winning their respective Wimbledon titles, what a brilliant weekend it’s been for British tennis! :D :]

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2016 11:37 pm 

Clarky wrote:
Gutted for Heather Watson

This was just over a year ago !

Not so gutted now she has a Wimbledon title !!