planetf1.com

It is currently Tue Sep 18, 2018 5:27 pm

All times are UTC

Forum rules

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 1:45 am 

Does anybody know anything about the new Smart cars? Has anybody driven one with the sports package?

I've just been to see the new range of Smart cars at my local Mercedes dealership and I'm very bothered by something.

They've introduced a new six-speed (plus reverse) dual-clutch gearbox to replace the previous automated sequential box. They're available to order now and they've been reviewed by many of the trade magazines and websites but here's the problem...

...all of the reviews seem to be quoting the blurb they've been allowed to regurgitate by the manufacturers and they're all talking about the gear changes but not about how the clutch behaves from standing starts (which is where my problem with the old car has always been).

What nobody can tell me, despite all the plaudits for the smoother transition from one gear to the next, is whether they've got rid of the terminal lag between putting your foot down and the car deciding to move.

I'm not even sure if it's actually a feature of the clutch alone or of the eco engine cut off which is never ready when you want to move away from junctions, side roads, roundabouts and traffic lights.

I'd like to have one of these to replace my current car but I can't even get a test drive of one before the end of March and to order one I'd either have to order it before driving it or wait another two months after the first ones arrive at the showrooms.

Officially they don't even make the new Smart with the flappy paddle gear change yet (due in March) so I can't get any information about one in this country. Do we have any Germans who may have driven one over there?

How is anybody meant to buy a new car this way?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 2:01 am 

This has to be the most specific thread I have ever seen.

Anyway, I should hope they have, the old clutch and gear change was awful. Most of the car was awful, to be fair, but when you can feel these things from the passenger seat, there are issues.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 2:06 pm 

I have an '09 one and the gearbox is the only thing I hate about it. I know that, as well as the 6 speed box on the new models, they also have the option of a bog standard 5 speed manual which, I believe, just behaves like any old one.

"Noise is a form of energy and the less you hear means the more you use for propulsion" - Ulrich Baretzky