planetf1.com

It is currently Wed Nov 21, 2018 9:31 am

All times are UTC

Forum rules

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2014 8:28 pm 

Nigel Farage.

Honestly, I give up....

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2014 8:52 pm 

Wasn't it George 'I've f**ked up the economy worse than Labour did' Osbourne last year?

There's a reason I don't usually read the times - they have an odd view of the country for the normal citizen!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2014 4:43 pm 

It depends what their criteria is for Briton of the Year. The Time Magazine person of the year states that it doesn't have to be a good person, it can be awarded to a good or a bad person, just who has had the biggest influence on the world that year.

On the same criteria, Nigel Farage could well qualify. He's certainly not a nice person. He promotes politics based on fear mongering and blame diversion to minority groups. But there is no denying that this year he has been very successful at changing the political discussion in the UK to his agenda.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 7:24 pm 

He has had a very successful year and as another poster said there is no reason why the person of the year has to be a "good" person and to a lot of people Farage is not a "bad" person anyway.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 7:56 pm 

But surely 'Briton of the year' as it's called should be someone who has been a prominent and successfull during the year and also someone who epitomizes British values?

Farage has had a successful year, but a lot of his views aren't those which scream this is what makes Britain great. If this is what we show the rest of the world as being our Briton of the year, I'm a little ashamed, Britain to me is country which accepts everyone for who they are regardless of gender/sexuality/race/religion and treats everyone the same - non of which Farage stands for.

Still, I'd rather Farage than Griffin :uhoh:

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 1:13 am 

minchy wrote:

And I'd rather have a kick in balls rather than a harder kick in the balls.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 11:17 am 

Alienturnedhuman wrote:
minchy wrote:

And I'd rather have a kick in balls rather than a harder kick in the balls.

:lol: My point exactly!

Griffin somehow managed to get a seat on the European parliament, so under the Times' Briton of the year classification, he could have easily won it that year - thank god he didn't!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 11:02 pm 

minchy wrote:
... Still, I'd rather Farage than Griffin :uhoh:
Isn't that akin to putting Josef Fritzel ahead of Fred West in child-rearing?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 4:21 pm 

Britain of year, Farage? Maybe in England yes, but as a Scot I don't think so.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 4:35 pm 

scotlandforever wrote:

As a Englishman I don't think so either ;)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 2:59 pm 

scotlandforever wrote:
Well, despite recent revelations regarding his alleged Germanic ancestry, as far as I'm concerned you're perfectly welcome to him.

https://www.houseofnames.com/Farage-family-crest
The sea-swept Hebrides islands and the west coast of Scotland are the ancestral home of the Farage family.
Their name comes from the Scottish surname MacFergus, which means "son of Fergus", which is in turn derived from the Gaelic personal name "Fearghus," composed of the elements "fear," meaning "man," and "gus," meaning "vigor" or "force." This Gaelic name was found early in both Ireland and Scotland. The name is a cognate of with the Cymric "Gwr-gwst," Old Bret. "Urorgost" and the Pictish word "Forcus." This last Pictish form of the name is found on a monument at St. Vigeans in Angus as "Fercos."

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2015 10:06 pm 

Thanks, but you can keep Nigel Farage, I'll stick with Alex Salmond.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2015 11:44 pm 

scotlandforever wrote:
Thanks, but you can keep Nigel Farage, I'll stick with Alex Salmond.

One is as awful as the other in their own way.

No one call anyone a moo-pickle...

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 10:50 am 

No, Alex Salmond looks after the interests of the Scottish people something we have never had before, even under Labour, who did nothing for Scotland.

Salmond will go down my view as Scotland's best ever Politician, a man who broke Labour's strangle hold on Scotland.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 11:45 am 

scotlandforever wrote:
No, Alex Salmond looks after the interests of the Scottish people something we have never had before, even under Labour, who did nothing for Scotland.

Salmond will go down my view as Scotland's best ever Politician, a man who broke Labour's strangle hold on Scotland.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Righto. I still think he is an utter moron I'm afraid. He was planning to ruin Scotland and only cares about himself.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 12:48 pm 

scotlandforever wrote:

Bollocks.

He cares about lining his own and his buddies' pockets. Just look how he went over the head of local authorities and TOTALLY against public opinion and approved his pal Donald Trump's ridiculous golf course plan that would destroy a environmentally sensitive area.

I would have had a lot more sympathy for the SNP and their cause (I might even have been bought round to actually thinking independence could have been feasible) if this shyster hadn't been running them.

"Noise is a form of energy and the less you hear means the more you use for propulsion" - Ulrich Baretzky

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 1:09 pm 

He not a moron and that's why the SNP are in power in Scotland and now are the 3rd biggest supporting party in the UK, also he might hold the balance of Power in May?

Also tell me a politician that doesn't care about their-selves?

Sorry Laura23, Salmond wasn't going ruin Scotland?

I voted YES to Scottish Interdependence, like my English mother did, if I thought for one second that Salmond was going ruin Scotland I would have voted NO.

Yes you could talk about the oil price, I agree with that, but Norway who is a similar size to Scotland and have oil, because had they fund for the oil price crashing it has not affected them.

Scotland has a lot more to offer than just oil, it has other assets and even without oil, a interdependent Scotland would be still one of the richest's counties in Europe without oil.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 1:23 pm 

TheOtherGuy wrote:
scotlandforever wrote:

Bollocks.

He cares about lining his own and his buddies' pockets. Just look how he went over the head of local authorities and TOTALLY against public opinion and approved his pal Donald Trump's ridiculous golf course plan that would destroy a environmentally sensitive area.

I would have had a lot more sympathy for the SNP and their cause (I might even have been bought round to actually thinking independence could have been feasible) if this shyster hadn't been running them.

:thumbup:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 1:26 pm 

scotlandforever wrote:
He not a moron and that's why the SNP are in power in Scotland and now are the 3rd biggest supporting party in the UK, also he might hold the balance of Power in May?

Sorry Laura23, Salmond wasn't going ruin Scotland?

I voted YES to Scottish Interdependence, like my English mother did, if I thought for one second that Salmond was going ruin Scotland I would have voted NO.

Yes you could talk about the oil price, I agree with that, but Norway who is a similar size to Scotland and have oil, because had they fund for the oil price crashing it has not affected them.

Scotland has a lot more to offer than just oil, it has other assets and even without oil, a interdependent Scotland would be still one of the richest's counties in Europe without oil.

Salmond's plan would have ruined Scotland. He's a vile man who was only ever out for his own back and lining his own pockets with gold.

Shame you got sucked in by the lies. I'm assuming your English mother has lived in Scotland for a very long time then and also got sucked in by Salmond's web of bull. He got caught out many times with his plans falling straight through.

But anyway, we got what was best in the end. We are a United Kingdom and long may that continue. Believe it or not you can be Scottish and British and be proud all at the same time.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 1:42 pm 

Well you if look at the lasted opinion poles in Scotland, you will find that vile man is going bring a lot of SNP MP's down to your beloved British Parliament so there must a hell lot Scots going be get sucked in to Salmond's bull then?

As for being British and Scottish I can live that for another 5 years or if not sooner.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 1:48 pm 

scotlandforever wrote:
Well you if look at the lasted opinion poles in Scotland, you will find that vile man is going bring a lot of SNP MP's down to your beloved British Parliament so there must a hell lot Scots going be get sucked in to Salmond's bull then?

As for being British and Scottish I can live that for another 5 years or if not sooner.

Best to agree to disagree here. It'll be a lot longer than five years before another referendum I'm afraid. They spent too much money on the last failure.

But yes many have fallen foul of that vile man's crap. He may bring them down but they'll have no real say in the running of the UK as a whole. It's all smoke and mirrors from him. I wouldn't believe an opinion poll anyway, far too many of them were screwed to suit whoever was publishing them last year.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 2:15 pm 

Scotlandforever wrote:
Glenda Jackson CBE - Labour MP for Hampstead and Kilburn.

She's one of the few 'proper' politicians we have left in this country who had a normal career and when she finished with that took up politics to help her local community and has done for over 20 years. Not one of these businessmen turned politician or career politician's who have no grasp of their constituents lives or some who have never even lived in their constituency until becoming their local MP.

She's one of the few reasons I envy my sister-in-law living in Kilburn (most other things about living in London I'd hate!)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 5:11 pm 

Given the choice between a Scottish bigot or English bigot - I personally choose neither.

Scotland for the Scottish, England for the English - it's all the same carp to me.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 7:55 pm 

Well, with regard to UKIP in general, I tend to think they're simply the latest version of the Green Party. In other words, they are going through a period of reasonable support but actually have very little interest in anything else a government has to do aside from their one main stand point. The greens were very prominent some years ago and now we hardly hear anything from them. I think (hope) the same will be said of UKIP in a few years time.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 9:06 am 

Asphalt_World wrote:
Well, with regard to UKIP in general, I tend to think they're simply the latest version of the Green Party. In other words, they are going through a period of reasonable support but actually have very little interest in anything else a government has to do aside from their one main stand point. The greens were very prominent some years ago and now we hardly hear anything from them. I think (hope) the same will be said of UKIP in a few years time.

They're getting pretty prominent now but the media tends to ignore it ;) .

"Noise is a form of energy and the less you hear means the more you use for propulsion" - Ulrich Baretzky

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 11:51 am 

TheOtherGuy wrote:
Asphalt_World wrote:

They're actually getting close to having my vote, if only they'd sort out this nuclear power policy. There are a lot of petitions around saying they deserve more coverage, and to include them in leader's debates.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 12:32 pm 

AngusWolfe wrote:
TheOtherGuy wrote:
Asphalt_World wrote:

They're actually getting close to having my vote, if only they'd sort out this nuclear power policy. There are a lot of petitions around saying they deserve more coverage, and to include them in leader's debates.

Thing is, they don't have the same money as other parties to promote themselves. It's not just the media don't follow them, they need to run a publicity campaign and invite the media to any talks or interviews. Its also hard for them to have much national news coverage as they are mainly prominent in specific areas rather than all over.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 1:15 pm 

minchy wrote:
AngusWolfe wrote:
TheOtherGuy wrote:
Asphalt_World wrote:

Thing is, they don't have the same money as other parties to promote themselves. It's not just the media don't follow them, they need to run a publicity campaign and invite the media to any talks or interviews. Its also hard for them to have much national news coverage as they are mainly prominent in specific areas rather than all over.

Its not just about having the money, its also about owning a slice off the press so they can say what they want when they want.

(I am Anti green BTW :] )

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 1:21 pm 

And that slice of the press costs them the money they don't have!

(I'm not anti-green, but won't be voting for them!)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 1:51 pm 

Can anyone actually say they know the Green's policies on anything other than environmental issues?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 2:06 pm 

Asphalt_World wrote:
Can anyone actually say they know the Green's policies on anything other than environmental issues?

Not me! Which is one reason why I don't really think they have the ability as a party to run the country (even if it was possible for them to get a majority).

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 2:34 pm 

Asphalt_World wrote:

Total overhaul of the benefits system

Focus on a more "community-based" NHS

Liberalisation of drug laws and general reform of the penal system

In/Out referendum on the EU (they support "in")

I did those 4 off the top of my head...

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 4:50 pm 

I mean in detail. Anyone who bothers to read bag find out about basic ideas, but what about the detail? What specific detail plans do they publicise? When do they really make a point? Only on fundamentally green issues. They're just a pressure group. (Which in itself is not a bad thing)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 4:51 pm 

minchy wrote:
And that slice of the press costs them the money they don't have!

(I'm not anti-green, but won't be voting for them!)

Its not the costs, its the ownership.

Look who owns 99% of the media. 3 people

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 5:04 pm 

Asphalt_World wrote:
I mean in detail. Anyone who bothers to read bag find out about basic ideas, but what about the detail? What specific detail plans do they publicise? When do they really make a point? Only on fundamentally green issues. They're just a pressure group. (Which in itself is not a bad thing)

If you compare the information they make available about their plans, it's not vastly different from what LibLabCon offer.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 5:29 pm 

But when you visit their website, the majority of the info that's straight to hand is green issues. Not that this is a surprise, but it's like Ukip and their anti Europe / immigration stand. Yes they have an entire manifesto but what's their real agenda?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 9:54 pm 

TheOtherGuy wrote:
Asphalt_World wrote:

Total overhaul of the benefits system

Focus on a more "community-based" NHS

Liberalisation of drug laws and general reform of the penal system

In/Out referendum on the EU (they support "in")

I did those 4 off the top of my head...

Most importantly they are the only major party that opposes the implementation of TTIP, the Transatlantic Trade and Investment Partnership. Effectively a trade deal between the US and EU that gives multinational corporations greater power over our governments. It all sounds horrendously un-democratic.

More details here:
http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/com ... 79688.html
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-30493297

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 10:56 pm 

Of course Green Party issues are the first to hand, they are the policies they pride themselves on. Every other party does the same. They certainly aren't perfect, but going by their policies, they are the lesser of five evils.

Interestingly, only a few hours after I posted that they weren't getting press coverage, I read a full article in the Independent on the Green's Education policy. They're going towards the Nordic route, something I have wanted for years.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 10:33 am 

If you're really interested in who sets government policy...
Working for HMT
Quote:
A graduate role at HM Treasury puts you at the centre of policy formulation in government. And because we’re at the centre, you’ll find a place to revel in your responsibility and the contribution you can make to shaping the nation’s future.

So, regardless of promises made in all the various political manifestos, when it actually comes down to brass tacks, it's the civil service who're "shaping the nation’s future".