planetf1.com

It is currently Wed Jun 20, 2018 7:27 pm

All times are UTC

Forum rules

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 9:56 pm 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WR1lYbUXoBs

Quote:
The Mach Loop (also known as the Machynlleth Loop) refers to a series of valleys in the United Kingdom in west-central Wales, notable for their use as low-level training areas for fast jet aircraft. The system of valleys lies 8 miles east of Barmouth and is nestled between the towns of Dolgellau to the north and Machynlleth to the south, the latter of which it takes its name from. The training area is within the Low Flying Area (LFA) LFA7, which covers most of Wales.[1]

Aircraft which use the training area include Royal Air Force Tornado, Typhoon, and Hawk jets, as well as U.S. Air Force F-15E Strike Eagles, which are based at RAF Lakenheath in eastern England.[2]

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 10:05 pm 

Pretty cool. I wouldn't camp on the side of a hill in Wales to see them, but I think it's hard-wired into me that fighter jets are cool. For my money, the SR22 Blackbird is the coolest of the military jets. It's not a fighter, but it is just a marvel of engineering. Given how old it is, I have to wonder what they could do with more modern materials and technology. Alas, no one wants to spend the insane amount of money to develop it. The SR22 was shot at by over 1000 missiles during it's active deployment but was never hit. The heat generated makes the metal translucent at the engines. The friction makes the panels swell so when it's on the ground the fuel tanks leak. Everything about it is basically just heroically, spectacularly bad donkey. Though, my all time favourite big techy thing is still the Saturn V rocket.

Last edited by mac_d on Fri Nov 07, 2014 10:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 10:08 pm 

Nice, you were the one filming?

PF1 Pick 10 Competition 2016: CHAMPION (2 wins, 8 podiums)

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 12:36 pm 

mac_d wrote:
Pretty cool. I wouldn't camp on the side of a hill in Wales to see them, but I think it's hard-wired into me that fighter jets are cool. For my money, the SR22 Blackbird is the coolest of the military jets. It's not a fighter, but it is just a marvel of engineering. Given how old it is, I have to wonder what they could do with more modern materials and technology. Alas, no one wants to spend the insane amount of money to develop it. The SR22 was shot at by over 1000 missiles during it's active deployment but was never hit. The heat generated makes the metal translucent at the engines. The friction makes the panels swell so when it's on the ground the fuel tanks leak. Everything about it is basically just heroically, spectacularly bad donkey. Though, my all time favourite big techy thing is still the Saturn V rocket.

SR-71 ;)

"Noise is a form of energy and the less you hear means the more you use for propulsion" - Ulrich Baretzky

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 12:39 pm 

Our house is pretty much on the flight path for the jets when they're flying to this area, get to see awesome sights!

Back in the 80s, during the cold war (slightly before my time), the USAF used to use my grandparents house as a reference point and buzz it when they were training in the A-10s (one of my favourite aircraft of all time!).

"Noise is a form of energy and the less you hear means the more you use for propulsion" - Ulrich Baretzky

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 3:28 am 

That's pretty sweet. The tornado drivers look like they love getting down in the weeds... The Americans, not so much

PF1 Autosport GP Predictor 2014: Second 2015: Second