planetf1.com

It is currently Wed Oct 24, 2018 5:28 am

All times are UTC

Forum rules

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 9:19 pm 

A childs imagination is so beautiful and pure.

Ok so it's an advert for a great big money making store but it's the sentiment. We were all kids, once.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iccscUFY860

Last edited by runningman67 on Fri Nov 07, 2014 10:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: John Lewis Advert.
PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 10:09 pm 

It's better than last years when the rabbit basically killed the bear by interrupting its natural hibernation cycle!

I do like that advert though, really sweet and I love how well loved the first penguin looks at the end. I know where I'm going for all my penguin needs this Christmas, for everything else it's still Tesco and pound land!!!

Post subject: Re: John Lewis Advert.
PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 10:21 pm 

I bet it's no Coca Cola advert!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F9_Vz_xVjAU

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 10:32 pm 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SzzxZRXJPQg

Oh Heck I remember a lot of these

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2014 9:36 am 

It's November, too early for Christmas ads! We have mince pies in my house already! The world has gone topsy turvey!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2014 10:07 am 

AngusWolfe wrote:
It's November, too early for Christmas ads! We have mince pies in my house already! The world has gone topsy turvey!

No, the world has gone American! 6th November - that's Halloween and bonfire night over, the shop needs their next seasonal selling event to happen.

TV ads I don't mind, but there should be a law against shops playing Christmas related song until 1st December.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2014 10:28 am 

minchy wrote:
AngusWolfe wrote:

No, the world has gone American! 6th November - that's Halloween and bonfire night over, the shop needs their next seasonal selling event to happen.

TV ads I don't mind, but there should be a law against shops playing Christmas related song until 1st December.

But the Americans at least have thanksgiving in the way! Christmas songs are the worst. As someone who works in retail, there are only so many times you can listen to Fairytale of sodding New York before you want to blow your own brains out.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2014 10:33 am 

I dont get he "john lewis" advert, why is it even a big thing? I've never seen their ads before or ever remember seeing their store.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2014 11:24 am 

f1madman wrote:
I dont get he "john lewis" advert, why is it even a big thing? I've never seen their ads before or ever remember seeing their store.

I'm with you on it. It seems they just do some mushy overly sentimental thing, usually with a pop song covered by a young female. I've seen a few. If you watch UK TV on any mainstream channel that isn't the Beeb, then you'll probably encounter it. I don't quite get how it has gone from being an advert to this, but the BBC reported it too so I guess it suggests people are quite into it. In fairness, I really do love the coca cola advert, and that is basically the same thing. A silly advert that makes you think of Christmas.

I don't think I have ever set foot in a John Lewis though. I know there is a gigantic one in Glasgow's Buchanan Galleries. I think when I used to work in a shop in that complex, I once had to go to John Lewis to buy a mop. I can't remember if it was John Lewis or if I went elsewhere.

I remember a Toy'r'Us cartoon advert of a car's headlight in the dark and their slave labour child worker force. Thankfully we live in a wonderful age where I was able to find it on Youtube very easily.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5qpEVl-Q-Ks

I remember for Christmas the first year in school I got two new big Mighty Max toys. I had gotten Skull Mountain the year before and that year I got Dragon Island and Magus (these are obviously just names if you weren't into mighty Max). I think I drove my parents crazy with how much I wanted those toys. I think I had seen them on TV.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 6:53 am 

Oh wow I completely forgot about that toys r us ad!!!!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 11:09 pm 

I'm glad you started this thread because I wanted to ask, in the John Lewis advert, are the real penguins just in the kid's imagination because he's got a couple of stuffed ones, or because he used to only have one stuffed one and wanted a friend for it?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 2:55 am 

flyboy10 wrote:
I'm glad you started this thread because I wanted to ask, in the John Lewis advert, are the real penguins just in the kid's imagination because he's got a couple of stuffed ones, or because he used to only have one stuffed one and wanted a friend for it?

I guessed that he had 1 soft toy (which looked very well loved and played with at the end) and as the child is clearly a loner and he projected his loneliness onto his toy giving it the desire to find a companion who understands him better. However in doing so he has inadvertently lost his best friend as in his imagination the penguin wanted a single life companion and will therefore have no time for him anymore and will probably just sit on a toy shelf somewhere with its new penguin companion and be forgotten about by the boy who will possibly slip into clinical depression causing social anxiety and underdeveloped social skills that make him isolated from society later in life.

The more I see it, the more I think that the true happiness in the advert is that of the mothers as she sees her child who still hasn't developed the social skills that the rest of his peer group have, being happy for a short moment. It is a short lived happiness that will pass as the Christmas holidays go on and not help the child in the long run but make her feel good for that short period which is what matters when you see someone opening an overly expensive and fairly useless gift you bought them from John Lewis. It's just the ostentatious nature of knowing that you got their gift at John Lewis which brings momentary and unfulfilling happiness that this advert is showing us.

(or maybe I'm reading a bit too much into it!)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 9:10 pm 

lol nah I think you nailed it.

just googled an coco cola ad because that's how I remember 90s xmas lol:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F9_Vz_xVjAU

I didn't realise David Cameron starred in the end of it either.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 9:14 pm 

omg is this crap this year's ad?: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RUnjQgEDgb4