It is currently Wed Nov 21, 2018 12:29 am

All times are UTC

Forum rules

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 4:21 pm 

flyboy10 wrote:
"A step too far"?

:thumbup: :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 7:07 pm 

Star Wars: Episode VII - Paul-McKenna-Will-Now-Hypnotise-You-The-Cinema-Audience-to-Make-You-All-Forget-That-The-Phantom-Menace-Ever-Existed.....Of The Jedi

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 12:55 am 

Ignore this, they've deleted it.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 6:21 am 

Banana Man wrote:
Ignore this, they've deleted it.

Deleted what? The movie?

PF1 Pick 10 Competition 2016: CHAMPION (2 wins, 8 podiums)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 5:11 pm 

TRAILER TRAILER TRAILER :D
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=erLk59H86ww

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 6:56 pm 

AngusWolfe wrote:

Xwings look great.

Cross lightsaber just looks stupid.

I don't like JJ Abrams space battles, which were often the best bit of Star Wars. I wonder what we'll see in this film. Probably 5 minutes of two spaceships 500m apart shooting each other about 40 billion times.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 7:44 pm 

mac_d wrote:
AngusWolfe wrote:

Xwings look great.

I don't like JJ Abrams space battles, which were often the best bit of Star Wars. I wonder what we'll see in this film. Probably 5 minutes of two spaceships 500m apart shooting each other about 40 billion times.

My favourite fan theory about it is that it's a self taught dark side user who doesn't really know how to effectively make one, so it needs to vent power.

And the trailer alone shows some pretty close combat between the falcon and some TIE fighters.

Star Trek space fights are inspired by submarine warfare, while star wars is more fighter jets. That's the style of the series more than Abrams style.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 8:14 pm 

The above link is actually a teaser.. I expect the actual trailer to be much better.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 8:43 pm 

AngusWolfe wrote:

Star Trek space fights are inspired by submarine warfare, while star wars is more fighter jets. That's the style of the series more than Abrams style.

The submarine thing may be true (especially Wrath of Khan imo), but come on. More "space bullets" are fired in 10 seconds of a JJ Abrhams Star Trek space fight than any other Star Trek battle. I don't think Abrams Star Trek space fights were very much like the series. And they'd really ruin the best bit of Star Wars if he did it here (which as you point out, is unlikely to actually happen). Xwings are still one of the coolest spaceships ever devised. I'm not really a Star Wars fan but I have a Lego xWing under my TV. I'd lie if I said I didn't play with it sometimes. Don't get me wrong, I don't think proper Star Trek style would have worked for the movies. And since Star Trek never really employed fighters (DS9 did in the Dominion) you can't go for the impressive numbers of ships exploding etc but I hated the space fights in Star Trek. It was like a boxing match where the two guys just stand, guard down punching each other as quickly as possible. To Star Wars general credits, their space battles are freakin' awesome. The opening of Revenge of the Sith was fantastic.

If the cross lightsaber is due to venting or whatever, I'm fine with it. They look like they are trying to look like a sword with that hand guard-y bit between the hilt and blade. I'd be fine with that, except if a lightsaber was to slide down the blade, it'd hit part of the solid bit of the cross-saber. Yes, I know I am overthinking a sword made of light...

On the plus side, no lens flare!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 12:30 am 

mac_d wrote:
AngusWolfe wrote:

Xwings look great.

I kind of like the triple dagger saber. Then again, it will depend who is wielding it - in the right hands it can become iconic, like Ventress' curved pair or Maul's single-double. I have to admit that when it was whipped out, a shiver of excitement surged. I have been a SW fan forever - still reading all the EU, etc., so 12/2015 can't come soon enough :D.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 10:07 am 

I you think about the light saber it makes sense that a Sith would have a hilt type thing at the bottom. I'm sure they wouldn't want to lose a fight and they'd all know what happened to Luke in his fight with Darth Vader, so to make sure they don't lose a hand during combat they'd build one with a hilt.

The main thing I think to look out for in any trailers for a JJ Abrams film is to see how much camera flare is used!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 11:42 am 

minchy wrote:
I you think about the light saber it makes sense that a Sith would have a hilt type thing at the bottom. I'm sure they wouldn't want to lose a fight and they'd all know what happened to Luke in his fight with Darth Vader, so to make sure they don't lose a hand during combat they'd build one with a hilt.

The main thing I think to look out for in any trailers for a JJ Abrams film is to see how much camera flare is used!

This what I thought too. It's hand protection :)

Beyond there is new robot and that's it. The teaser shows nothing about the plot.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 12:41 am 

The Black Friday Trailer is pretty good:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6RsQd7hn9bg

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 11:18 pm 

I must applaud the filmmakers for the fact that Lando Calressian and Samuel L Jackson aren't the only black guys in the galaxy now...

"Noise is a form of energy and the less you hear means the more you use for propulsion" - Ulrich Baretzky

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 3:44 am 

bourbon19 wrote:
mac_d wrote:
AngusWolfe wrote:

Xwings look great.

I kind of like the triple dagger saber. Then again, it will depend who is wielding it - in the right hands it can become iconic, like Ventress' curved pair or Maul's single-double. I have to admit that when it was whipped out, a shiver of excitement surged. I have been a SW fan forever - still reading all the EU, etc., so 12/2015 can't come soon enough :D.

erhm... it's called a Saber Staff.
The main reason why I bought Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy was that you could have your character use it, then I used the console cheats so I could use it right at the start. Only don't change your character to Boba Fett via the console as your allies will keep trying to kill you, that is unless you want to kick the crap out of Rosh and Kyle.

Podiums: 11
2018 Championship Standing: oh jeez...

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 12:02 am 

specdecible wrote:
bourbon19 wrote:
mac_d wrote:
AngusWolfe wrote:

Xwings look great.

The main reason why I bought Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy was that you could have your character use it, then I used the console cheats so I could use it right at the start. Only don't change your character to Boba Fett via the console as your allies will keep trying to kill you, that is unless you want to kick the crap out of Rosh and Kyle.

That would be very cool - I've never played the game. And yup you are right - properly a Saberstaff a double bladed saber with an emitter at either end of the staff, so you can strategically ignite one side or if one emitter goes out you'd still have a traditional single emitter light saber.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 6:38 am 

specdecible wrote:
bourbon19 wrote:
mac_d wrote:
AngusWolfe wrote:

Xwings look great.

I can't help but imagine this said in Comic Book Guy's voice.

PF1 Pick 10 Competition 2016: CHAMPION (2 wins, 8 podiums)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 6:45 am 

Well apologies if this is the second time I said this but my post looks like it disappeared as soon as I wrote it. Hope it doesn't magically reappear.

"Return of the Jedi mind trick that George Lucas has been playing on us all for far too long now".

I've watched the trailer/teaser and I really like how the X-wing fighters move over the water - really spectacular!