planetf1.com

It is currently Sat Nov 25, 2017 4:06 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: Vintage F1 thread
PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 11:30 am 

POBRatings wrote:
From journalists from his day, Piquet snr was known to be a 'ch..ky b....r. In a 1981 interview with a well-known magazine, Nelson said: "If Reutemann was not so cautious and would take more chances he would do much better". Reutemann was then into his tenth season. A few years on, from 1987, and who seemed to be cautious and avoiding risks?

:thumbup: Of all the modern times drivers (from 1975 onward), Reutemann seems to be the one that deserved the title most. Sadly things were not going his side, tough he was agonizingly close to WDC in 1981, and may I say 1982, was it not for the Falkland war.

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 10:58 pm 

Today is 35 years since this helmet was put to rest.

Source: http://multimedia.quotidiano.net/?tipo= ... edia=34857

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 8:48 am 

Thank you for noting that, Lieutenant. All deaths on track are ghastly, of course, but this was especially horrible, given the circumstances in Imola which undoubtedly played their part in it. What a mega talent.

Sympathy too, for Jochen Mass, tangled up in the tragedy.

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 1:33 pm 

ESPN classic has been showing old Indy 500 races this past week. Last night was the 1967 race featuring Parnelli Jones running the gas turbine car built by STP's Andy Granatelli. It ran away with the race lapping everyone except AJ Foyt but had a transmission failure with only 3 laps to go gifting the win to AJ who was only a few yards from being lapped himself at the time.

I was struck by the number of F1 drivers on the grid including Jim Clark, Graham Hill, Jackie Stewart, Jochen Rindt and Denny Hulme who also won the '67 F1 championship. Lorenzo Bandini was scheduled to participate but had died in the infamous fiery crash at the Monaco GP a coupla weeks prior. There were also the quasi-F1 participants such as Mario and Gurney along with NASCAR stalwarts such as Cale Yarborough and LeeRoy Yarbrough.

Nice to have Fernando on the grid this year. Cant remember the last time an active F1 driver made the trek to Indy.

Some pics of the turbine

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 8:13 pm 

Michael, F1, 1986 – 2017 – present.

My initial memory is 1986 and the Nigel Mansell tyre blowout in Australia. Although I must have seen races earlier that season, if not before, I always consider that to be the first time I saw F1 and thus became a fan for life.

From a pure nostalgic point of view, maybe it was those early days which were my happiest in the sport. However, it’s far easier and more accurate to say that it is only F1 itself, bringing that joy, excitement and cherished moments, which have allowed me to enjoy it all just as much as I have done. Suffice to say, perhaps only a book, or such, could and would do it justice.

The first race I attended, the British Grand Prix at Silverstone in 2004, only sought to confirm this passion, the experience and atmosphere which grips you still rings true now and does not diminish with each passing year. From the past to the present and the sight of Lewis Hamilton crowd surfing over my head, F1 is able to create precious memories which can, should and will be treasured, not just for years to come but for ever.

I hope F1 continues to enthral, excite and gives me joy, as well as providing a lasting legacy, in the same way it has done ever since that day in 1986.

After 32 seasons, I remain as big a fan and committed to F1 as ever but am now left finding myself wondering how to take my interest in the sport just that one step further.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 10:46 am 

Wow - I can vaguely remember a Shadow driven by Alan Jones - but really got into F1 when he was in Williams

Almost went to Monza in 1982 - but for some reason it fell through (in Italy as an exchange) - so never got to a live F1 race till 2004 Melbourne - with a few former members here as well

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 8:21 pm 

Hope a youtube vid is allowed (seems properly licenced). Just watched an iteration of this again for the hundredth time (Jackie Stewart et all), and the thing that strikes me is how the more recent 'legends' talk about themselves and the older ones talk about others. Definitely worth a watch if you're an F1 fan:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M7jsSWscoGE

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:37 pm 

I was here back in the day.

Is Eury et al still about?