planetf1.com

It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 11:47 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 3:30 am 

Hey guys, I'm troubling to understand why(since last year) Ross Brawn is rated so high by teams. Sure he is a strategist, and he won constructors in three different teams but I still don't find what is the reason why teams rate him so highly? Is it because of his methods that allow teams to achieve success or?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 3:47 am 

Its like being a football manager (soccer). At the end of the day your job is to extract the best of what you have at your disposal and hire/remove people to fit the teams objectives. Brawn seems to do that when you consider what resources he has in his disposal. Thats my sort of analogy anyway.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 4:34 am 

Just look at his resume. In this era of F1 it's all about the car and the team and he has successfully delivered especially in 2009 before Red Bulls team came up with an unstoppable formula.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 8:19 am 

The answer is in your question plus, for me anyway, he brings an aura of calm and control. Also he is highly respected and his opinion, I would guess carries, significant weight in the sport.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 3:05 pm 

Because the teams he goes to never seem to win anything.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 3:07 pm 

He is good at reading the rules and realizing the missing signs which leads to winning. He does not "feel" himself inside the rules. There are many others too, but that is enough for now.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 3:20 pm 

His record.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 3:37 pm 

Many titles won with 3 different teams.

FA#14

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 4:24 pm 

I think tittles won with three different teams is pretty impressive.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 5:30 pm 

Just look at his CV, not just as a team principle, but his achievements dating all the way back to the late 70's. His record speaks for itself.

Taking into consideration all the roles in F1, and trying to weigh up how valuable they are, it would be fair to say that Ross Brawn is one of the very, very best guys to have involved with your team.

If I owned/was responsible for a team with a big budget then Adrian Newey is perhaps the only person, currently involved, that I'd try to hire before Ross Brawn.

Last edited by Badgeronimous on Sun Nov 03, 2013 1:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 6:45 pm 

Badgeronimous wrote:
Just look at his CV, not just as a team principle, but his achievements dating all the way back to the late 70's. His record speaks for itself.

Taking into consideration all the roles in F1, and trying to weigh up how valuable they are, it would be fair to say that Ross Brawn is one of the very, very best guys to have involved with your team. Newey is perhaps the only person many would pick before him.

Accurate this!
Brawn used to be a very competent designer with Benetton , after serving an apprenticeship under Patrick Head at Williams. Brawns Benettons circa 1989-1991 were really fast and helped the team rise to produce their top cars designed by Byrne of 1994-5. Brawn then went more into team management. One of F1's great figures.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 9:05 pm 

I wonder if Mercedes are kicking themselves now for reacting hastily in hiring Toto and Lowe...T and L might be great and I hope so - but when Merc werent doing well it seems like Ross all along was getting things right - building things up - and he has been proved right - esp if they come 2nd in the constructors!...

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 9:13 pm 

Kolby wrote:
he won constructors in three different teams

You answered your own question right there!

Kolby wrote:
I still don't find what is the reason why teams rate him so highly?

Ross hasn't always been a team principle you need to go look at his other work then you'll understand.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 9:17 pm 

SWAN wrote:
I wonder if Mercedes are kicking themselves now for reacting hastily in hiring Toto and Lowe...T and L might be great and I hope so - but when Merc werent doing well it seems like Ross all along was getting things right - building things up - and he has been proved right - esp if they come 2nd in the constructors!...

You could be correct here, SWAN: too many chiefs at Mercedes?

The only negative I've read against Brawn was from another team engineer: that Ross has not been a designer for many years, and that he relied so much on Rory Byrne at Benetton and Ferrari. But this would not explain Brawn GPs success in 2009.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 10:56 pm 

I guess if we knew what made him successful everyone would know and everyone would be successful! His record speaks for itself though. I'm happy that 2009 permanently wrote his name in the record books! The record books don't tend to remember who was chief engineer or whatever his titles were at Ferrari, but winning championships in a car with your name on is a pretty effective method.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 11:18 pm 

It's hard to be definitive about RB, because we know so little about the inner workings of the teams he has been with - nevertheless, he has certainly got the F1 street cred in his favour wrt his achievements!
I think the fact that he doesn't have his finger on the pulse of modern design per se - is possibly also an advantage. A good team builder sees what individuals can do and directs them into roles and tasks that need to be filled for the good of the team. Some people are born or natural 'overseers' or 'organisers' and can see the big picture. I think Brawn is possibly one of those?
I am guessing he is also quite a humble chap - and in the engineering/design context - that is important. He strikes me as the kind of guy who knows his limitations and is not afraid to admit them and then to seek appropriate expertise elsewhere.....
I honestly think Merc are stupid to not agree to him remaining as TP in principle - in any organisation there has to be a figurehead where the buck stops - to Merc, why it can't still be Brawn for the race teams performances is beyond understanding. I do think the past few years of non succcess are perhaps the sticking point with the Merc board though ! It seems they just don't see that building a team takes time........but they obviously think that more chefs will help the pot ? ----------- very wrong in my opinion, but there you go.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 11:47 am 

Eva09 wrote:
Because the teams he goes to never seem to win anything.

Sure, everybody have more than 3 tittles, that´s nuts. That´s what you´re saying?

Or maybe it´s because eveybody have bought a team and win both the WDC and WCC at first try, that´s too easy to deserve any merit, right? :nod:

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 4:18 pm 

The fact alone that he pulled off a WDC and WCC in the first and only year of running his own team, with a bodged-together chassis tells you a lot. When he has freedom to do his thing, he shines. Look at his record - it speaks for itself.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 5:45 pm 

....because 'those in the know' rate him highly, and their opinion plus general knowledge of his achievements causes the general public (who are inclined to have an opinion) to rate him highly.