planetf1.com

It is currently Wed Nov 21, 2018 3:38 pm

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please read the forum rules

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 8:25 am 

Vettel led every lap as Webber pitted before he crossed the line.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 10:13 am 

ob1kenobi.23 wrote:
Only one team ever won the F1 championship, the world sport scar championship & the word rallying championship in the same year.

This is wrecking my head. What's the answer?

Was it just an engine manufacturer in F1? Was it Ford?

FA#14

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 10:45 am 

mcdo wrote:
ob1kenobi.23 wrote:
Only one team ever won the F1 championship, the world sport scar championship & the word rallying championship in the same year.

I was thinking maybe Cooper in the 50's but was afraid to look stupid throwing out the first guess and being so wrong on something a lot of people would know.

Now that you say it's killing your brain I don't care of I'm wrong. :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 10:52 am 

nate wrote:
Based on history, there is a 76% chance that the front row in Melbourne will be locked out

You have a fundamental misunderstanding of how mathematics and probability work.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 11:02 am 

RaggedMan wrote:
mcdo wrote:
ob1kenobi.23 wrote:

I was thinking maybe Cooper in the 50's but was afraid to look stupid throwing out the first guess and being so wrong on something a lot of people would know.

Really stumped on this one, I initially thought it was a trick question combining Ferrari & Fiat...... but cant match that up with one year, '77 is close.

I have a feeling im missing a really obvious answer.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 11:52 am 
ob1kenobi.23 wrote:

It's Mercedes-Benz in 1955. They won the World Sports Car Championship, the Mille Miglia, F1 Championship (Fangio) and the World Rally Championship (Werner Engel) as well as the American Sports Car Championship (Paul O'Shea).

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 12:02 pm 

PacificBeach wrote:
I think Spain GP would be the pretty good indicator for the car's aero/speed and hence the WDC.

You're right, Catalunya has all high speed, low speed corners combination as well as 1-km long straight, possibly the most complete circuit in the calendar, requiring the overall best car to win there.

But it's scheduled too early in the calendar that it can't resemble which car will be the overall best throughout the entire season. So the best car at that time (early in the calendar) isn't necessarily the favorite to win the WDC that year. Ferrari 2013 is an example.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 9:27 pm 

vince14 wrote:
ob1kenobi.23 wrote:

It's Mercedes-Benz in 1955. They won the World Sports Car Championship, the Mille Miglia, F1 Championship (Fangio) and the World Rally Championship (Werner Engel) as well as the American Sports Car Championship (Paul O'Shea).

Nice one Vince 14, I wonder do you actually remember it like me or did you look it up.
I watched the Merc 300 SLR win the Ulster TT in 1955
Another odd statistic. Only one F1 team owner ever had his son as a driver.

Champions are made from something they have deep inside of them - a desire, a dream, a vision. They have last-minute stamina, they have to be a little faster, they have the skill & the will but the will must be stronger than the skill. Muhammad Ali

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 10:24 pm 

ob1kenobi.23 wrote:
vince14 wrote:
ob1kenobi.23 wrote:

Nice one Vince 14, I wonder do you actually remember it like me or did you look it up.

Is it Brabham? I remember David driving for the Brabham team back in 1992 i believe.

Two drivers with the same amount of 2nd and 3rd places? (more than 10 of each for each driver)

Top 3 Competition
2016: 5th, Wins in: Spain, 1st Great Britain

F1 Oracle 2016: 2nd, Wins in: Australia, Russia, Canada, Great Britain

Group Pick'em 6th, Podiums: 2nd Monaco

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 11:16 pm 

Fountoukos13 wrote:
ob1kenobi.23 wrote:
vince14 wrote:
ob1kenobi.23 wrote:

Is it Brabham? I remember David driving for the Brabham team back in 1992 i believe.

Two drivers with the same amount of 2nd and 3rd places? (more than 10 of each for each driver)

Jack had already sold the team long before his son drove for it.

Champions are made from something they have deep inside of them - a desire, a dream, a vision. They have last-minute stamina, they have to be a little faster, they have the skill & the will but the will must be stronger than the skill. Muhammad Ali

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 11:53 pm 

Black_Flag_11 wrote:
RunningMan wrote:
Since I mentioned it, I may as well work out Japan

Code:
Year    Winner    Champion
2012    Vettel      Vettel
2011    Button      Vettel
2010    Vettel      Vettel
2009    Vettel      Button
2008    Alonso      Hamilton
2007    Hamilton    Raikkonen
2006    Alonso      Alonso
2005    Raikkonen   Alonso
2004    Schumacher  Schumacher
2003    Barrichello Schumacher
2002    Schumacher  Schumacher
2001    Schumacher  Schumacher
2000    Schumacher  Schumacher
1999    Hakkinen    Hakkinen
1998    Hakkinen    Hakkinen

9 times out of 15 years for Japan. I should probably call it 14 since I'm not including the 2013 races. Still very high

:thumbup: Good stat!

How about the opposite, Brazil
Code:
Year    Winner    Champion
2012    Button      Vettel
2011    Webber      Vettel
2010    Vettel      Vettel
2009    Webber      Button
2008    Massa      Hamilton
2007    Raikkonen    Raikkonen
2006    Massa      Alonso
2005    Montoya   Alonso
2004    Montoya  Schumacher
2003    Fisichella Schumacher
2002    Schumacher  Schumacher
2001    Coulthard  Schumacher
2000    Schumacher  Schumacher
1999    Hakkinen    Hakkinen
1998    Hakkinen    Hakkinen

6 of the last 15 races at Brazil have been won by the world champ, but if we look at the last 10 years the race has only been won by the WC twice.

Podiums: 11
2018 Championship Standing: oh jeez...

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 11:54 pm 

ob1kenobi.23 wrote:
vince14 wrote:
ob1kenobi.23 wrote:

Chilton?

No one call anyone a moo-pickle...

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 12:42 am 

Laura23 wrote:
ob1kenobi.23 wrote:
vince14 wrote:
ob1kenobi.23 wrote:

Chilton?

I think Marussia motors own the team not Max's dad.

Clue. The Sorcerer.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 12:49 am 

ob1kenobi.23 wrote:
Laura23 wrote:
ob1kenobi.23 wrote:
vince14 wrote:
ob1kenobi.23 wrote:

Chilton?

Clue. The Sorcerer.

I believe the Sorcerer nickname was given to Gordini. But i don't know anything more than that. Was his son driving for his cars?

Top 3 Competition
2016: 5th, Wins in: Spain, 1st Great Britain

F1 Oracle 2016: 2nd, Wins in: Australia, Russia, Canada, Great Britain

Group Pick'em 6th, Podiums: 2nd Monaco

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 12:59 am 

Fountoukos13 wrote:
ob1kenobi.23 wrote:
Laura23 wrote:
ob1kenobi.23 wrote:

Chilton?

Clue. The Sorcerer.

I believe the Sorcerer nickname was given to Gordini. But i don't know anything more than that. Was his son driving for his cars?

Was Gordini even involved in Formula 1?

Podiums: 11
2018 Championship Standing: oh jeez...

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 1:04 am 

Another odd statistic. Only one F1 team owner ever had his son as a driver.[/quote]
Chilton?[/quote]

Clue. The Sorcerer.[/quote]

I believe the Sorcerer nickname was given to Gordini. But i don't know anything more than that. Was his son driving for his cars?[/quote]

Amedee Gordini's son Aldo drove for him in in one race in 1951. He generally the drove the sports cars in Le Mans etc.

http://www.f1-geschiedenis.be/A1_F1/195 ... ni_T11.jpg

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 9:22 am 

ob1kenobi.23 wrote:
vince14 wrote:
ob1kenobi.23 wrote:

Ah I should have known, ze all-conquering Germans

FA#14

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 11:41 am 

Simple one but i love the fact that Brawn GP won every single championship it ever entered.

Not an F1 history buff ny any means but they must be the only team to ever do that?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 12:42 pm 

AFCTUJacko wrote:
Simple one but i love the fact that Brawn GP won every single championship it ever entered.

Not an F1 history buff ny any means but they must be the only team to ever do that?

... but the same could be said for Sunderland FC. They've won every single F1 championship they've entered (ie, none)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 12:51 pm 

AngreetRoll wrote:
AFCTUJacko wrote:

... but the same could be said for Sunderland FC. They've won every single F1 championship they've entered (ie, none)

So the same can't be said for Sunderland FC as they haven't entered one! :uhoh:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 4:27 pm 

AngreetRoll wrote:
AFCTUJacko wrote:

That's a second grumpy post from you in this thread, after "you don't understand how mathematics and probability work." What's your problem? The fact that Brawn is the only team to win 100% of the championships it entered is completely within the spirit of the thread and one I often quote to get the ladies, I don't think that flippancy was needed.

I know it's recent but Kimi Raikkonen has completed the most laps in a season (as a percentage of total laps) than anyone else, finishing all but one. And the one he didn't finish was because he got lost and went a lap down :D

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 6:52 pm 

RaggedMan wrote:
mcdo wrote:
ob1kenobi.23 wrote:

Like Mcdo and Raggedman, I too have a fractured skull! Also thought vaguely, Ford, Lotus........

Obie mentioning the Mille Miglia opens the door for another piece of trivia: Moss (and Jenks) deserves the many praises he got for winning the 1955 Mille Miglia. However another Mercedes driver 24 years earlier performed even better Imo: Caracciola became the first non-Italian to win this classic. Driving a big, 7.1 litre, supercharged SSKL. What makes Caracciola's drive more impressive than Moss's: he drove the big Merc from Stuttgart to Brescia, practiced, raced and won, then drove back to Stuttgart the next day! Moss had several days practicing in a 300SL Coupe, and his SLR car was trucked to and from Brescia.

Good one Obie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 6:55 pm 

POBRatings wrote:
RaggedMan wrote:
mcdo wrote:
ob1kenobi.23 wrote:

Like Mcdo and Raggedman, I too have a fractured skull! Also thought vaguely, Ford, Lotus........

Obie mentioning the Mille Miglia opens the door for another piece of trivia: Moss (and Jenks) deserves the many praises he got for winning the 1955 Mille Miglia. However another Mercedes driver 24 years earlier performed even better Imo: Caracciola became the first non-Italian to win this classic. Driving a big, 7.1 litre, supercharged SSKL. What makes Caracciola's drive more impressive than Moss's: he drove the big Merc from Stuttgart to Brescia, practiced, raced and won, then drove back to Stuttgart the next day! Moss had several days practicing in a 300SL Coupe, and his SLR car was trucked to and from Brescia.

Good one Obie

I've read about Caracciola's adventure with that car before. Talk about durability and reliability! Nothing like the trailer queens they race today. :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 7:49 pm 

Random thought, but which driver has the most #2 finishes (in races or in the championship)? The ultimate brides maid if you will.

Kind of thought about this after noticing how many 2nd place finishes Kimi has had since his comeback. And certainly he had quite a few more following Lewis, Schumi, and Fernando home in the first career at times when he wasn't winning. I figured he might be in the Top 5 or so of all time, along with Barrichello.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 8:53 pm 

Honda Quick wrote:
Random thought, but which driver has the most #2 finishes (in races or in the championship)? The ultimate brides maid if you will.

Kind of thought about this after noticing how many 2nd place finishes Kimi has had since his comeback. And certainly he had quite a few more following Lewis, Schumi, and Fernando home in the first career at times when he wasn't winning. I figured he might be in the Top 5 or so of all time, along with Barrichello.

Good question I had a look and here is the top 12

Schumacher 43
Alonso 36
Prost 35
Barrichello 29
Raikkonen 29
Coulthard 26
Senna 23
Lauda 20
Piquet 20
Mansell 17
Patrese 17
Berger 17

Barrichello and Raikkonen tie for most 3rd places.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 8:54 pm 

More trivia: looking at the some long-running or well-known driver pairings, and comparing the wins of the 'number twos' with those of the 'number ones' (not necessarily contractually correct, but based on slower vs faster driver):
Button-Hamilton 2010-2012: wins 8:10=80%
Coulthard-Hakkinen 1996-2001: wins 10:20=50%
Webber-Vettel 2009-2012: 9:25= 36%
Patrese-Mansell 1991-1992: wins 3:14=21%
Barrichello-Schumacher 2000-2005: wins 9:49=18%

What really surprised me was how much better Webber has done than Barrichello!
And Button so much better than Coulthard. Was Button better than DC; was Hamilton not as good as Hakkinen? It could be in the cars and their rivals. Again one cannot draw direct comparisons or conclusions.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 11:33 pm 

Since 1999 Williams have only won one less championship than McLaren.

Should make McLaren fans think a bit.

No one call anyone a moo-pickle...

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 12:10 am 

Laura23 wrote:

True, and rather shocking.

However, McLaren in that period have won a lot more races...? I'll be on wikipedia if anyone needs me.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 6:38 am 

mikeyg123 wrote:
Honda Quick wrote:

Schumacher 43
Alonso 36
Prost 35
Barrichello 29
Raikkonen 29
Coulthard 26
Senna 23
Lauda 20
Piquet 20
Mansell 17
Patrese 17
Berger 17

Interesting that while Vettel is near the top in wins, he's nowhere in 2nd places!

PF1 Pick 10 Competition 2016: CHAMPION (2 wins, 8 podiums)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 7:32 am 

Covalent wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:
Honda Quick wrote:

Schumacher 43
Alonso 36
Prost 35
Barrichello 29
Raikkonen 29
Coulthard 26
Senna 23
Lauda 20
Piquet 20
Mansell 17
Patrese 17
Berger 17

Interesting that while Vettel is near the top in wins, he's nowhere in 2nd places!

He has scored 11 2nd and 12 3rd places, which respectively account for 9.5% and 10.4% of his starts.
To compare:
Alonso - 36 and 26, for 17% and 12%.
Hamilton - 16 and 16, for both 12.9%. Interestingly, it has been 36 races since he last finished 2nd.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 7:32 am 

mac_d wrote:
Laura23 wrote:

True, and rather shocking.

However, McLaren in that period have won a lot more races...? I'll be on wikipedia if anyone needs me.

So whilst going through wikipedia myself to find a pointless statistic to throw back at Laura (since 2005, Schumacher has won 1 less championship than Alonso!?) I noticed that Williams have had more WCC's than WDC's, are they the only team to ever do this?

edit: never mind Ferrari and Lotus did as well!

Last edited by minchy on Thu Oct 10, 2013 7:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 7:35 am 

Covalent wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:
Honda Quick wrote:

Schumacher 43
Alonso 36
Prost 35
Barrichello 29
Raikkonen 29
Coulthard 26
Senna 23
Lauda 20
Piquet 20
Mansell 17
Patrese 17
Berger 17

As you say about Vettel, for the really dominant-streak drivers such as Fangio, Ascari, Clark, Prost, Senna ,Schumacher it is 'more difficult' statistically to score seconds than firsts!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 8:31 am 

The 2010 season has some pretty impressive ones.

Most championship leader changes in a season - 10 times (Alonso to Massa to Button to Webber to Hamilton to Webber to Hamilton to Webber to Alonso to Vettel)

And Most championship contenders going into the final race of the season (4 in 2010)

Also. In 2012, The entire pack had 14 Championships between them! (Mostly thanks to Schumi.)

Schumacher is the only driver to have a season where he finished on the podium 100% of the time. (2002)

Of Schumachers 221 Points-finishes, 70% of them is on the podium, and of his 307 Race-starts, 50% were spent on the podium. On average every other race he entered he finished in the top 3.

Schumacher was so dominant there is so many mind blowing facts associated with him.

A funny one: Vettel was given a penalty 6 seconds into his entire f1 career for speeding in the pit lane!

Pick 10 Competition
-1st Place 2014 Germany GP "Relentless Rosberg"

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 8:51 am 

jakedroid wrote:

Most championship leader changes in a season - 10 times (Alonso to Massa to Button to Webber to Hamilton to Webber to Hamilton to Webber to Alonso to Vettel)

And Most championship contenders going into the final race of the season (4 in 2010)

And only WDC ever won by a driver that didn't lead the WDC standings at any point in the season. Or am I wrong in this one?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 8:55 am 

Volantary wrote:
AngreetRoll wrote:
AFCTUJacko wrote:

That's a second grumpy post from you in this thread, after "you don't understand how mathematics and probability work." What's your problem? The fact that Brawn is the only team to win 100% of the championships it entered is completely within the spirit of the thread and one I often quote to get the ladies, I don't think that flippancy was needed.

I know it's recent but Kimi Raikkonen has completed the most laps in a season (as a percentage of total laps) than anyone else, finishing all but one. And the one he didn't finish was because he got lost and went a lap down :D

My problem is that I don't like people stating things as fact on the internet when they are completely untrue. It leads to a state of perpetuating mis-education where people believe things that are verifiably untrue and they will present that as fact to another person and spread the bad knowledge further. If you can educate the people that what they have just been told is wrong the anyone who is receiving this information will be better off for it. Nate's original post that "Based on history, there is a 76% chance that the front row in Melbourne will be locked out" (which is completely untrue) shows a fundamental failure to grasp the difference between correlation and causation and the outcome of future events is (in cases like this) statistically independent of past results (eg the Monte Carlo fallacy).

Furthermore, just because you don't agree with someone's post doesn't mean you need to start personal attacks and call the poster 'grumpy', when it was a tacit and emotionless statement of fact. I suggest you calm down a little in future and reply in a sensible manner and take the forums as what they are - a source of information and debate - rather than a place to sling mud at those who you disagree with.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 9:05 am 

mds wrote:
jakedroid wrote:

And only WDC ever won by a driver that didn't lead the WDC standings at any point in the season. Or am I wrong in this one?

No, sorry! John Surtee's in '64 and James Hunt in '76 (I think)

Pick 10 Competition
-1st Place 2014 Germany GP "Relentless Rosberg"

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 9:51 am 

jakedroid wrote:
mds wrote:
jakedroid wrote:

No, sorry! John Surtee's in '64 and James Hunt in '76 (I think)

Ah, you're right. Don't know how that got into my head. Probably because it was a remarkable fact in its own and I somehow changed that into a unique fact. :)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 9:51 am 

In the 10 seasons from 1984 to 1993 only 2 drivers won the Monaco Grand Prix: Senna and Prost.

- 2013 Rookie of the Year
- 2014 Championship 6th position
- 2016 Championship 9th position

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 8:12 pm 

What was the earliest the championship was won?

who has had the highest finishes (ie never finished lower than 3rd etc) for the longest

I have no idea on the answers though :)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 9:43 pm 

beanchimp wrote:
What was the earliest the championship was won?

who has had the highest finishes (ie never finished lower than 3rd etc) for the longest

I have no idea on the answers though :)

Correct me if I'm wrong but I'd imagine both of those records belong to Schumi from 2002

Championship won 65% of the way through (at the 11th of 17 races)

19 consecutive podiums from USA 2001 to Japan 2002. Although I know Alonso came bloody close to that in 2006