Chat Forum
It is currently Wed May 24, 2017 4:30 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Question for IT types
PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:47 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 4153
Location: Eryri
I lost Firefox last night - in that it appeared to be running, but wouldn't appear on my screen! I could still see the start page if I moused over the icon on the taskbar (I'm on Windows 10).

This persisted despite my unistalling and reinstalling Firefox twice, and also several restarts.

I eventually discovered this morning that the window was open on a secondary display (which I don't own and never have). I changed the settings to force everything to appear on display 1, and it came back.

I hadn't changed any settings at all prior to this. Windows did just update itself, but the problem started before that (I just assumed that it was a glitch and restarted).

Anyone able to explain this?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:50 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 1878
Doc Rob wrote:
I lost Firefox last night - in that it appeared to be running, but wouldn't appear on my screen! I could still see the start page if I moused over the icon on the taskbar (I'm on Windows 10).

This persisted despite my unistalling and reinstalling Firefox twice, and also several restarts.

I eventually discovered this morning that the window was open on a secondary display (which I don't own and never have). I changed the settings to force everything to appear on display 1, and it came back.

I hadn't changed any settings at all prior to this. Windows did just update itself, but the problem started before that (I just assumed that it was a glitch and restarted).

Anyone able to explain this?


Had you hooked up your PC to a tv at any stage to watch a movie or some such?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:54 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 4153
Location: Eryri
PornDog wrote:
Doc Rob wrote:
I lost Firefox last night - in that it appeared to be running, but wouldn't appear on my screen! I could still see the start page if I moused over the icon on the taskbar (I'm on Windows 10).

This persisted despite my unistalling and reinstalling Firefox twice, and also several restarts.

I eventually discovered this morning that the window was open on a secondary display (which I don't own and never have). I changed the settings to force everything to appear on display 1, and it came back.

I hadn't changed any settings at all prior to this. Windows did just update itself, but the problem started before that (I just assumed that it was a glitch and restarted).

Anyone able to explain this?


Had you hooked up your PC to a tv at any stage to watch a movie or some such?


Nope - never. I only built this PC in early February.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:10 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 1878
Doc Rob wrote:
PornDog wrote:
Doc Rob wrote:
I lost Firefox last night - in that it appeared to be running, but wouldn't appear on my screen! I could still see the start page if I moused over the icon on the taskbar (I'm on Windows 10).

This persisted despite my unistalling and reinstalling Firefox twice, and also several restarts.

I eventually discovered this morning that the window was open on a secondary display (which I don't own and never have). I changed the settings to force everything to appear on display 1, and it came back.

I hadn't changed any settings at all prior to this. Windows did just update itself, but the problem started before that (I just assumed that it was a glitch and restarted).

Anyone able to explain this?


Had you hooked up your PC to a tv at any stage to watch a movie or some such?


Nope - never. I only built this PC in early February.


Yeah that's a bit nuts. But computers regularly do weird shit that you find very difficult to explain.

Is it possible it was always configured for two monitors and you just never knew it. Then maybe one day you hit some combination of shortcut keys that shifter FF over to the 2nd monitor screen? That's about as far as my thinking takes me. Can't see how any update would magically create an extra screen. Is it possible that some A/V software you installed might have at some point?

Doesn't windows 10 have a multiple desktops option similar to linux? Could it have been something like that as opposed to an actual 2nd monitor config?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:24 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 2179
PornDog wrote:
Doesn't windows 10 have a multiple desktops option similar to linux? Could it have been something like that as opposed to an actual 2nd monitor config?

Yes it does and that was my first thought. You might have accidentally moved it to a second virtual desktop by hitting the keyboard shortcut by accident.

This link takes you a page that explains how the virtual desktops work / can be used. It might help.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:29 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 40010
Thing about Windows 10's virtual desktops is that it's actually hard to do that by accident.

Windows can sometimes be a bit shit about suddenly moving applications "off-screen". It can happen after resolution changes or some application conflict or sometimes just by the luck of the gods.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:18 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 4153
Location: Eryri
Thanks guys. Still no idea why it happened (I have a new keyboard with programmable keys, perhaps one of them is pre-set to do something odd?) but it's working now, so that's al that really matters I guess.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:54 pm 
Online
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 25443
Location: Chickenrunning...
Reboot


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:59 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 4853
is it something like :

Windows Key + Ctrl + D: Creates new virtual desktop

Windows Key + Ctrl + F4: Closes current virtual desktop

?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:01 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 2997
Location: Queensland!
Doc Rob wrote:
I lost Firefox last night - in that it appeared to be running, but wouldn't appear on my screen! I could still see the start page if I moused over the icon on the taskbar (I'm on Windows 10).

This persisted despite my unistalling and reinstalling Firefox twice, and also several restarts.

I eventually discovered this morning that the window was open on a secondary display (which I don't own and never have). I changed the settings to force everything to appear on display 1, and it came back.

I hadn't changed any settings at all prior to this. Windows did just update itself, but the problem started before that (I just assumed that it was a glitch and restarted).

Anyone able to explain this?


There's your problem, windows 10, go for Linux Mint, problem solved :thumbup:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:05 pm 
Online
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 25443
Location: Chickenrunning...
Linux is for thieves and weirdos


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:25 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 40010
jolindien wrote:
is it something like :

Windows Key + Ctrl + D: Creates new virtual desktop

Windows Key + Ctrl + F4: Closes current virtual desktop

?


Easier is Windows Key + Tab - you get the option to create new desktops and close existing ones (if you have more than one). Then it's winkey+ctrl+ {left,right} to swap between them.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 12:01 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 5179
Location: Still at the end of the world
Sandstorm wrote:
Linux is for thieves and weirdos


Linux is great, I use it for home computing and use windows for work.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Beaver_Shark, Big Nipper, Bing [Bot], Boxcar Ira, camroc1, Chilli, Chuckles1188, clydecloggie, danthefan, earl the beaver, echo, eldanielfire, Fangle, Gazzamonster, GWO2, HighKingLeinster, hp18, Insane_Homer, JoeMangled, julian, Laurent, Leinster in London, Mullet 2, Nolanator, panamax, penguin, puku, Rinkals, SamShark, Sards, slick, sturginho, tabascoboy, Tecumseh, The Sun God, Toulon's Not Toulouse, Turbogoat, Wendigo7, Yer Man, Zakar and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group