Chat Forum
It is currently Thu Apr 27, 2017 12:29 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Poor old Chris Robshaw
PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:42 am 

Seems to have slipped under the radar a little. Why is no one talking about his omission? Surely he deserves a spot based on his performances over the last couple of years?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:46 am 

He didn't play in the Six Nations. Granted Kruis didn't either, but as far as reasoning or explanation for omission it's generally acceptable.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:51 am 

Unfortunate to be operating in an area of such significant depth.

Might be interesting to see if/when he gets a call up when the inevitable injuries occur. Perhaps then we'll see where Gatland rates him. Obviously, there's some 6/7 Scots ahead of him in the pecking order at the moment.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:52 am 

Eddie on the uncapped players:

Quote:
Will Collier (prop, Harlequins): "Collier is a really steady tight-head. Scrummaging wise he probably has the best body position of anyone in the Premiership, so it is a great opportunity for him."

Ben and Tom Curry (flankers, Sale Sharks): "I'm looking forward to working with the Currys because I want to find out if I can tell the difference between the two of them. We're going to have to find a way to work out who's who. I hear they're very competitive about everything: A-levels, their weight, their haircuts, their girlfriends, everything. I think we'll keep them competing against each other."

Nick Isiekwe (second-row, Saracens): "We have the young guy from Sarries coming in who is potentially a very good player. When you look at where he is now compared to where Maro was when he came into the Six Nations, he is going to be a really good player this boy, a really good player. So he is exciting."

Sam Underhill (back-row, Ospreys/Bath): "He's got good potential as an openside flanker, he's a genuine openside flanker, he's dedicated, he's determined, he's desperate to play for England, we're delighted to have him."

Harry Williams (prop, Exeter Chiefs): "He is a big unit. He needs a haircut though, so I will have to chat to him about that - he is not short of a tattoo though. He is a good scrummager. He has got to work a bit around the field, so we will work on that with him."

Joe Cokanasiga (winger, London Irish): "He's big mate. And he's fast. That's the only thing I see."

Nathan Earle (winger, Saracens): "I'm interested in this Nathan Earle from Saracens. I watched him play ITM Cup for Canterbury and he's got real potential. He's a big, tall guy who's got pace."

Piers Francis (fly-half, Blues/Northampton Saints): "Good, solid player. He's got a good kicking game, he's very good defensively, he likes putting his head in the dark areas. He plays very deep but that's the Kiwi way so we'll have to work on that with him and I'm sure we can."

Sam James (centre, Sale Sharks): "James is a bit like Denny. Sale have a way of producing quite funny sort of players. There's nothing great about him but he finds the line, he finds space and he's strong and has a good feel for the game."

Alex Lozowski (fly-half, Saracens): "Lozowski is a good player, I've been really impressed. I think he's been the best find of the Premiership. He's come in, he's got a nice feel about the game and he's a rugged defender and he kicks his goals. He works hard and he's a good fella."

Harry Mallinder (versatile back, Northampton Saints): "Good player mate. I think he can play 15 and I think he can play centre and I think he can potentially play on the wing. Big, strong lad. Good in the air. Massive kicking game. Kicks the ball 60m. Needs to work on his defence, but for a young player that's okay."

Joe Marchant (centre, Harlequins): "It is exciting, it is a great opportunity for us because you don't usually get this opportunity to bring in a bunch of young, enthusiastic and good players into the squad at one time."

Jack Maunder (scrum-half, Exeter Chiefs): "Maunder's an interesting player. He's a cheeky little bugger, that's what I like about him. He's got something about him. His pass is okay but he looks for opportunities, generally makes good decisions and he's a good size of a lad. We're excited by him and he's young. He's only just 20."

Denny Solomona (winger, Sale Sharks): "There's something about him. He finds the line. He's got that ability, when he gets the ball, to score a try."

"There's nothing great about him" ouch :lol:

http://www.espn.co.uk/rugby/story/_/id/ ... ed-players

Last edited by matta25 on Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:54 am 

Quote:
He plays very deep but that's the Kiwi way so we'll have to work on that with him and I'm sure we can."

:lol:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:57 am 

MrDominator wrote:
Quote:
He plays very deep but that's the Kiwi way so we'll have to work on that with him and I'm sure we can."

Good one, Eddie :?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:57 am 

Are those quotes a wind up or real?

Some of them are :lol: If they're real then Eddie is obviously miffed that the lions have stolen all the attention.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:59 am 

matta25 wrote:

Sam James (centre, Sale Sharks): "James is a bit like Denny. Sale have a way of producing quite funny sort of players. There's nothing great about him but he finds the line, he finds space and he's strong and has a good feel for the game."

Ouch!
Currys are both 18
Cockasiga 19.. Isiekwe 18.. Maunder, Underhill, Marchant still 20?
Must be one of youngest international squads ever assembled.

Highlights of Curry at the weekend:
http://www.worldrugbyvids.com/index.php ... loucester/

Last edited by plum-pudding on Thu Apr 20, 2017 12:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 12:02 pm 

D'oh!! Posted that in the wrong thread, apologies

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 12:10 pm 

Diego wrote:
Seems to have slipped under the radar a little. Why is no one talking about his omission? Surely he deserves a spot based on his performances over the last couple of years?

Probably because it was inevitable that Gatland wasn't going to be picking him as soon as he got injured, and would probably have ignored him if he had played the 6N. Picking Ross Moriarty instead just makes that even more clear.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 12:20 pm 

Diego wrote:

Brillant troll

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 12:25 pm 

LeGrenouile wrote:
Diego wrote:

Brillant troll

What? I genuinely like him as a player.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 12:28 pm 

Robshaw really isn't anything special. I feel that apart from Billy V, England have a pretty comparitively poor BR compared to the rest of the 6N, barring Italy.

Calls for Hask and Robshaw always felt a little hollow to me.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 12:37 pm 

He's a player I have a lot of respect for - deserved a place in 2013 and very unlucky with his injury this time around.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 12:38 pm 

Diego wrote:

Indeed. Who TF will make the lineout v pen calls now? :(

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 12:41 pm 

Torquemada 1420 wrote:
Diego wrote:

Indeed. Who TF will make the lineout v pen calls now? :(

AWJ.... :uhoh:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 12:53 pm 

FravBront wrote:
Robshaw really isn't anything special. I feel that apart from Billy V, England have a pretty comparitively poor BR compared to the rest of the 6N, barring Italy.

Hask should have gone for the bantz and to catch up on that ex beauty queen kiwi maid he molested

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 1:07 pm 

matta25 wrote:
Eddie on the uncapped players:

Quote:
Will Collier (prop, Harlequins): "Collier is a really steady tight-head. Scrummaging wise he probably has the best body position of anyone in the Premiership, so it is a great opportunity for him."

Ben and Tom Curry (flankers, Sale Sharks): "I'm looking forward to working with the Currys because I want to find out if I can tell the difference between the two of them. We're going to have to find a way to work out who's who. I hear they're very competitive about everything: A-levels, their weight, their haircuts, their girlfriends, everything. I think we'll keep them competing against each other."

Nick Isiekwe (second-row, Saracens): "We have the young guy from Sarries coming in who is potentially a very good player. When you look at where he is now compared to where Maro was when he came into the Six Nations, he is going to be a really good player this boy, a really good player. So he is exciting."

Sam Underhill (back-row, Ospreys/Bath): "He's got good potential as an openside flanker, he's a genuine openside flanker, he's dedicated, he's determined, he's desperate to play for England, we're delighted to have him."

Harry Williams (prop, Exeter Chiefs): "He is a big unit. He needs a haircut though, so I will have to chat to him about that - he is not short of a tattoo though. He is a good scrummager. He has got to work a bit around the field, so we will work on that with him."

Joe Cokanasiga (winger, London Irish): "He's big mate. And he's fast. That's the only thing I see."

Nathan Earle (winger, Saracens): "I'm interested in this Nathan Earle from Saracens. I watched him play ITM Cup for Canterbury and he's got real potential. He's a big, tall guy who's got pace."

Piers Francis (fly-half, Blues/Northampton Saints): "Good, solid player. He's got a good kicking game, he's very good defensively, he likes putting his head in the dark areas. He plays very deep but that's the Kiwi way so we'll have to work on that with him and I'm sure we can."

Alex Lozowski (fly-half, Saracens): "Lozowski is a good player, I've been really impressed. I think he's been the best find of the Premiership. He's come in, he's got a nice feel about the game and he's a rugged defender and he kicks his goals. He works hard and he's a good fella."

Harry Mallinder (versatile back, Northampton Saints): "Good player mate. I think he can play 15 and I think he can play centre and I think he can potentially play on the wing. Big, strong lad. Good in the air. Massive kicking game. Kicks the ball 60m. Needs to work on his defence, but for a young player that's okay."

Joe Marchant (centre, Harlequins): "It is exciting, it is a great opportunity for us because you don't usually get this opportunity to bring in a bunch of young, enthusiastic and good players into the squad at one time."

Jack Maunder (scrum-half, Exeter Chiefs): "Maunder's an interesting player. He's a cheeky little bugger, that's what I like about him. He's got something about him. His pass is okay but he looks for opportunities, generally makes good decisions and he's a good size of a lad. We're excited by him and he's young. He's only just 20."

Denny Solomona (winger, Sale Sharks): "There's something about him. He finds the line. He's got that ability, when he gets the ball, to score a try."

"There's nothing great about him" ouch :lol:

http://www.espn.co.uk/rugby/story/_/id/ ... ed-players

I do like reading eddies stuff.

Gatland was never picking Robshaw- I doubt he's even 3rd reserve.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 1:10 pm 

backrow wrote:
ex beauty queen kiwi maid he molested

Like all kiwi women, she became an ex beauty at 11 months?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 1:15 pm 

Diego wrote:
LeGrenouile wrote:
Diego wrote:

Brillant troll

He is not a BRitish Lion calibre solid club player that is it

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 1:18 pm 

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 1:23 pm 

Gatland's blindside order is likely

Cap'n Sam
Cap'n Sam with one shoulder
Stander
Moriarty
Itoje
Lydiate from the dead
Random Scot
Jonny May
Robshaw

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 1:26 pm 

he was never, ever getting picked by Gatland. the injury thing isn't a valid excuse either, given he happily picked Kruis after one game back from injury. Robshaw just isn't Gatland's type of player in the back row

Stander and Moriarty are much more Gatland's template for a 6

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 1:29 pm 

Poor old Jo f**k Launchbury more like!!!

What about 1993 ffs...they left Simon Geoghegan on a beach for the summer. Jaysus

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 1:33 pm 

FravBront wrote:

They're the best test backrow in the NH. However, they were obliterated by injury this year and didn't play together in the 6N.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 1:42 pm 

openclashXX wrote:
he was never, ever getting picked by Gatland. the injury thing isn't a valid excuse either, given he happily picked Kruis after one game back from injury. Robshaw just isn't Gatland's type of player in the back row

Stander and Moriarty are much more Gatland's template for a 6

Moriarty is Lydiate MKII, just a marginally better ball carrier

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 1:45 pm 

LeGrenouile wrote:
Diego wrote:
LeGrenouile wrote:
Diego wrote:

Brillant troll

Robshaw is a superb international - One of the 1st names on the England teamsheet, when fit, and was been really missed in the 6N. Vastly under rated player.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 1:53 pm 

ovalball wrote:
LeGrenouile wrote:
Diego wrote:
LeGrenouile wrote:
Diego wrote:

Brillant troll

Robshaw is a superb international - One of the 1st names on the England teamsheet, when fit, and was been really missed in the 6N. Vastly under rated player.

I'm 50/50 on whether Kermit believes this, or whether he's just saying it to wind me up. Either way, Robshaw's been outstanding for Eddie so anyone who genuinely believes he's just a solid club player is a bit la-la

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 1:56 pm 

Robshaw has been superb at 6- that's not to say Moriarty is a poor player, far from it. They're very different players.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 1:57 pm 

To be fair to Charismatic Chris, he was having a mightly fine season until he was helped off against Worcester.

Unfortunately, he's plying his trace in the most competitive area of the squad - alway going to be a stretch for him to get in unless fully fit. (Unless you're a Lions series winning Captain, obvs)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 1:57 pm 

I understand the underrated thing, but it's not like the Lions are rolling on the floor in agony over not picking him. Pleeenty of back rowers people think of in that group before Robshaw. Heck, Hamish Watson based on 2017 form (vs Robshaw before injury) ought to make a team before him and he's Scottish and nobody likes the Scottish lol. He's a workhorse Robshaw and he does really well but he's a limited player, lots of guys in those 4 home nations that have more talent, more immediate impact, and on both ends.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 2:01 pm 

Dork Lard wrote:
I understand the underrated thing, but it's not like the Lions are rolling on the floor in agony over not picking him. Pleeenty of back rowers people think of in that group before Robshaw. Heck, Hamish Watson based on 2017 form (vs Robshaw before injury) ought to make a team before him and he's Scottish and nobody likes the Scottish lol. He's a workhorse Robshaw and he does really well but he's a limited player, lots of guys in those 4 home nations that have more talent, more immediate impact, and on both ends.

I'd say it's absolutely fair that on 2017 form Watson (a breakaway 7) would go ahead of Robshaw (a man playing 6 who spent most of 2017 so far injured).

If you cut out last 6N, the summer tour to Oz, and the AIs, Robshaw's claim is a lot worse.

Moriarty is super average though and goes off the back of a cracking 60 minute defensive performance against England and their 2nd choice back row.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 2:32 pm 

JM2K6 wrote:
Dork Lard wrote:

I'd say it's absolutely fair that on 2017 form Watson (a breakaway 7) would go ahead of Robshaw (a man playing 6 who spent most of 2017 so far injured).

If you cut out last 6N, the summer tour to Oz, and the AIs, Robshaw's claim is a lot worse.

Moriarty is super average though and goes off the back of a cracking 60 minute defensive performance against England and their 2nd choice back row.

You missed this last May in your chain of events:

Harrison, Haskell, Clifford 27-13 Moriaty, Lydiate, Faletau
MoM: Joe Launchbury

:o

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 3:43 pm 

Robshaw is the player that England really missed this 6N, fair enough we eventually won it but if he had been playing it would probably been more emphatic and possibly - just possibly - a Grand Slam.

The bloke's like dogshit - he's everywhere!

Not flashy but just smothers everything.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 4:09 pm 

TrailApe wrote:
Robshaw is the player that England really missed this 6N, fair enough we eventually won it but if he had been playing it would probably been more emphatic and possibly - just possibly - a Grand Slam.

In terms of England - I wouldn't swap him for any of the 6s in the Lions Squad.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 4:28 pm 

Yeah, Englanders; fairly inexcusable you mob didn't manage to get him on the plane. We got Ciarán Fitzgerald on the plane AND as Captain back in the day.

Sort yerselves out.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:37 pm 

JM2K6 wrote:

eh, talking about quality overall for the Lions group in that backrow. Tipuric and SOB are sevens too for eg, but I'd have them over Robshaw as well, as just, Rugby players. And again, two players that are equally good on both ends, not just excellent defenders.

Has Robshaw ever made a clean break in his life ? Besides a rugged carry every once in a while, what does he bring offensively ? And he's not infallible either in the tackle, and isn't much of a fetcher.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:38 pm 

TrailApe wrote:

He might have been enough to counter POM in Dublin.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:40 pm 

JM2K6 wrote:
Dork Lard wrote:

Agreed about Moriarty, A Powell/Popham/Stander type player. Good when no one really knows who he is.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:43 pm 

JM2K6 wrote:
Dork Lard wrote:

It was nearer 50 wasn't it ?