Chat Forum
It is currently Sat Apr 29, 2017 12:25 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 18542 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 459, 460, 461, 462, 463, 464  Next
PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:31 am 

We didn't have a look in with Wales, Ireland and England winning in NZ so regularly gosh darn it!!!! :uhoh:

If Hogg or Seymour or a late call up Scot are not in the test 23 I will be certainly consider supporting NZ over Gatlandball and his Welshman.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:43 am 

I f**k ing hate Gatland.

He's effectively said he judged the Scottish guys on two performances, England & Sarries.

No mention of Glasgow thrashing Leicester or beating Racing away from home.

Seems to have quite happily written off the Welsh losing at Murrayfield or failing to get a BP in Italy.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:40 am 

spanks wrote:
I f**k ing hate Gatland.

He's effectively said he judged the Scottish guys on two performances, England & Sarries.

No mention of Glasgow thrashing Leicester or beating Racing away from home.

Seems to have quite happily written off the Welsh losing at Murrayfield or failing to get a BP in Italy.

You sound like me four years aho. It ain't worth it.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:42 am 

Bag of shite.

That is all I have to say about that.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:49 am 

I'll add to the general bad atmosphere. Quite Glad now I decided to go to NZ earlier in the year and miss my first Lions tour since 97. It galls me the nature of the pick n mix criteria for selection. We are told it's about form and yet he ignores it when convenient. We are told it's about the big matches but ignores results which went our way. I dare say the Lions will do well now and of course I will cheer them on but after being shafted yet again it will be with a heavy heart.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:25 am 

dargotronV.1 wrote:
Warren Gatland, in the Guardian. What a colossal c.ck... One away win outside of Italy this 6n but it's Scotland who have the problem with winning away from home. & I'm sure he's simply forgetting that Scotland were in New Zealand in 2011 for the world cup.

Quote:
“We are playing away from home and Scotland haven’t been to New Zealand since 2000. We have to perform away from home, that’s going to be paramount.”

He really said that? Could he be any more of a wanker?

No, we haven't toured NZ since 2000. How does that make any difference to our current team? Which player in the current squad has ever beaten NZ in NZ?

In the last RWC we came within a refereeing mistake of eliminating Australia and being the sole NH representatives in the semi-finals. Wasn't that away from home?

I'm going to have to stop thinking about it, it's just pissing me off too much. It doesn't matter what Gatland says anyway - he was always going to shaft us no matter what.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:31 am 

HKCJ wrote:
I'll add to the general bad atmosphere. Quite Glad now I decided to go to NZ earlier in the year and miss my first Lions tour since 97. It galls me the nature of the pick n mix criteria for selection. We are told it's about form and yet he ignores it when convenient. We are told it's about the big matches but ignores results which went our way. I dare say the Lions will do well now and of course I will cheer them on but after being shafted yet again it will be with a heavy heart.

I won't cheer them on. The idea of a Lions tour is that you take the best of each country. Gatland has chosen not to do so, and so I choose not to pay attention to his shitty tour. I won't cheer on NZ, but neither do I wish for the Lions to win the series, as it would make the fud think his disrespect of us was justified.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:33 am 

Totally to be expected.

I fear that the Lions will get a proper doing. Too many of that squad living on past (or imagined) glories, too many injured, too many unproven in the Test arena. I suppose it's possible that all three will come good, but thhat's quite a dodgy accumulator to bet the tour on.

I agree that the boys would be well within their rights to refuse any call-up. However, you can't begrudge anyone the chance to pull on the jersey.

The question is how long the Lions will continue to have that currency. They have been pishing it up against the wall since 2001 (SA 2009 excepted).

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:43 am 

I may just have to leave the bored for a while. I've read one too many posts saying 'perhaps Scotland should have had one or two more, but they weren't nailed on'.

One or two? We beat Ireland. We beat Wales with room to spare. We would be within our rights to expect similar representation to both. We didn't expect that of course, because we're used to being disappointed. So we expected enough to at least acknowledge our progress. Gatland didn't even give us that. Fûck him and fûck his tour. :frown:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:51 am 

Doc Rob wrote:
I may just have to leave the bored for a while. I've read one too many posts saying 'perhaps Scotland should have had one or two more, but they weren't nailed on'.

One or two? We beat Ireland. We beat Wales with room to spare. We would be within our rights to expect similar representation to both. We didn't expect that of course, because we're used to being disappointed. So we expected enough to at least acknowledge our progress. Gatland didn't even give us that. Fûck him and fûck his tour. :frown:

I think the HP approach is best Doc Rob. Step away from the 'puter if that helps, but it is what it is. We can look forward to the summer tour when we can horse the Wobblies again on their own patch.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:53 am 

Gatland ''We have to perform away from home, that’s going to be paramount.

It's good that there are so many many Welsh going as their last 8 away games record is
LLLLLWLL .....and the win was against Italy.
In the last 2 European Cups the Welsh teams have played 9 away matches and lost the lot.
Gatland is a fuucking hypocrite.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:54 am 

Glad to see Telfer saying what no-one else in the media seems to be willing to.

Quote:
Telfer was particularly scathing about Gatland’s reliance on players he had worked with during his time as Wales coach, saying that neither Alun Wyn Jones nor Leigh Halfpenny, two stars of the series win over Australia in 2013, had done enough recently to justify selection for this year’s squad.

“What has Leigh Halfpenny done all season?” he demanded. “When Scotland beat Wales at Murrayfield, he didn’t even want to take a kick at goal in case he missed it. As for Jones, I think he’s the weakest second row player in the squad. I don’t think he has played at all well recently. I think he’s past it.

Plus he's f**k ing injured.

Most annoying aspect of Gray's exclusion is that there'll need to be two injuries before he gets a call up because they've left Launchbury behind too.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:03 am 

Doc Rob wrote:

Then you add Scottish pundits - Gavin Hastings, Tom English, Andy Nicol et al all to quick to downplay the issue and say we were unlucky but Gatland had to pick the best players irrespective of nationality, as if that is what he has done! With the exception of Telfer & Mclauchlan everyone else seems to accept it while the Welsh pundits like Shanklin (Scots lack individual talent) pile on in. Where is our Brian Moore to tear strips of folk at the injustice of it all?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:12 am 

If you're going to flounce just flounce, it's not a huge life decision and you look like a belter if you don't after talking about it.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:13 am 

Wylie Coyote wrote:
Doc Rob wrote:

Where is our Brian Moore to tear strips of folk at the injustice of it all?

Wylie Coyote wrote:
Telfer & Mclauchlan

The English press are driving this. The Welsh press are famously one eyed - remember they predicted en masse an easy win in the 6N - so will happily follow the established narrative. Read the Guardian, the Telegraph, the Times (with the exception of Reid, a Scot) - they are all quite happy with the selection, it's embarrassing, no acknowledgement of the undermining of the Lions concept or of Cotter being ignored & Gatland picking his buddies.

Meanwhile, the Herald and Scotsman print their view and it's generally outraged, but we're pissing into the wind here.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:16 am 

Mainstream rugby media is always shite and clueless. Nothing changes in a Lions year.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:17 am 

Calm down gents. All too predictable really. We know Gatland is a dick and we know many Welsh fans think he's the dog's b@ll@cks. And so it's played out. Disappointing for some of our lot but with hindsight they may end up being glad they were well out of it.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:25 am 

dargotronV.1 wrote:
Doc Rob wrote:

I think the HP approach is best Doc Rob. Step away from the 'puter if that helps, but it is what it is. We can look forward to the summer tour when we can horse the Wobblies again on their own patch.

Just quoting tbis.... because.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:38 am 

malky wrote:

It's good that there are so many many Welsh going as their last 8 away games record is
In the last 2 European Cups the Welsh teams have played 9 away matches and lost the lot.

This.

I can kind of understand Gatland's view about playing away from home, and yes, our record's not great there....but neither is anybody else's. England lost in Dublin....Wales at Murrayfield...Ireland both in Cardiff and Murrayfield....but that doesn't seem to matter the same.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:39 am 

OptimisticJock wrote:
If you're going to flounce just flounce, it's not a huge life decision and you look like a belter if you don't after talking about it.

Sorry. Not quite what I meant. I'm really not the flouncing type. Just expressing impotent fury.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 12:07 pm 

Tired and emotional wrote:
malky wrote:

This.

I can kind of understand Gatland's view about playing away from home, and yes, our record's not great there....but neither is anybody else's. England lost in Dublin....Wales at Murrayfield...Ireland both in Cardiff and Murrayfield....but that doesn't seem to matter the same.

This is what's so frustrating. We can't win - or at least our players can't. The goalposts move continuously. The criteria for Lions selection always seem to be whatever we don't have at that particular time. We've been in decent form this year - so now it's that we don't have a representative on the coaching staff, or that we played badly on one 6N game out of five, or that we haven't toured NZ since 2000!! That's some serious scraping at the bottom of the excuse barrel.

The truth is that our players don't get selected because they are Scottish. The myth that we don't have as much individual talent as the other countries is so deeply ingrained now that it's automatically assumed that any given Scottish player is inferior to his English, Welsh or Irish counterpart. In order to get into the squad if you're Scottish, you have to be head and shoulders above the competition. You see this constantly on the bored. Hogg has won back-to-back player of the 6N awards, but how many posts have you seen citing his 'poor' defence? (It's not poor, it just isn't as good as the rest of his game).

Anything good we do is belittled or explained away, and every setback is magnified. Every flaw our players have, and every poor game, is focused on, and the good things are forgotten. It's been that way for years. Does anyone seriously think Jonny Gray wouldn't have made the squad if he played for any of the other three countries?

Last edited by Doc Rob on Thu Apr 20, 2017 12:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 12:15 pm 

malky wrote:

This.

Wales lost in Paris too. Unfairly perhaps, but we never get any credit for any of our hard luck stories, so they can suck it up.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 12:47 pm 

Doc Rob wrote:
malky wrote:

This.

This is what's so frustrating. We can't win - or at least our players can't. The goalposts move continuously. The criteria for Lions selection always seem to be whatever we don't have at that particular time. We've been in decent form this year - so now it's that we don't have a representative on the coaching staff, or that we played badly on one 6N game out of five, or that we haven't toured NZ since 2000!! That's some serious scraping at the bottom of the excuse barrel.

The truth is that our players don't get selected because they are Scottish. The myth that we don't have as much individual talent as the other countries is so deeply ingrained now that it's automatically assumed that any given Scottish player is inferior to his English, Welsh or Irish counterpart. In order to get into the squad if you're Scottish, you have to be head and shoulders above the competition. You see this constantly on the bored. Hogg has won back-to-back player of the 6N awards, but how many posts have you seen citing his 'poor' defence? (It's not poor, it just isn't as good as the rest of his game).

Anything good we do is belittled or explained away, and every setback is magnified. Every flaw our players have, and every poor game, is focused on, and the good things are forgotten. It's been that way for years. Does anyone seriously think Jonny Gray wouldn't have made the squad if he played for any of the other three countries?

I agree with you on this. Just need to look at the head to head player rankings the press come up with at times. Nonsensical a lot of them

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 12:59 pm 

HKCJ wrote:
Doc Rob wrote:
malky wrote:

This.

I agree with you on this. Just need to look at the head to head player rankings the press come up with at times. Nonsensical a lot of them

Stop trying to rationalise this Doc. It's a Gatland-dominated selection and he has always been wholly self-absorbed. For a start, that makes any comparison between a Welsh player and anyone else wholly skewed. But he has has stated before that he doesn't think much of us. It's all about one man and his predilections. I have no idea why Gatland was picked. The Lions 'committee' seem sold on his qualities. I think he's at best ordinary and someone else should have been given the chance. And I dare say someone else would have picked a wholly different squad.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 1:03 pm 

Doc Rob wrote:
malky wrote:

This.

Exactly right. We need journalists to start speaking like this rather than bowing and scraping at the honour of being allowed to follow the tour. Stand up and make Scotland's voice heard!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 3:59 pm 

anyone read this article?

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/rugby/rugby-news/scotlands-outrage-british-irish-lions-12918020

:lol:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 4:04 pm 

Quote:
Exactly right. We need journalists to start speaking like this rather than bowing and scraping at the honour of being allowed to follow the tour. Stand up and make Scotland's voice heard!

What you actually really need is someone in the set up. Far more important than Journalists

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 4:06 pm 

Quote:
Anything good we do is belittled or explained away, and every setback is magnified. Every flaw our players have, and every poor game, is focused on, and the good things are forgotten. It's been that way for years.

Not a criticism but Scottish rugby has been in the doldrums for years, it will take more than one good season and one decent world cup effort to change people's minds.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 4:38 pm 

Quote:
It was feared Scotland would send a B-team shorn of stars but they’ll now arrive with an almost full-strength outfit, boasting the talented Gray brothers and exciting No.10 Finn Russell.

“I am a bit surprised to be honest that more of them didn’t get picked,” Cheika told NewsCorp.

“They had a very good Six Nations. They finished equal second so I was really surprised to see they only got two selected. I was expecting a lot more. I feel for some of their lads, there are probably a handful of them there who should have been in it.

“But it’s really good for us, because it is going to be an almost full strength team and it will be a tough game at the Footy Stadium in Sydney. Afternoon kick-off. It will be a great atmosphere, and we have had a ding-dong rivalry with Scotland for a while now.

“They have really been on the improve, big time. They’re playing good footy.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/ ... 972f8db18d

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 4:59 pm 

As HP keeps pointing out, it is a good idea to just let it go. I really didn't expect much more to be honest, not when you have Gatland and all his parochial Welsh inbreds involved.

Let them have their moment, it doesn't detract from the fact that their team are the most disrespectful pricks in rugby and their chavvy fans easily the least welcome of any that visit Edinburgh and probably any other city.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:02 pm 

Quote:
Let them have their moment.

Shouldn't that be moments

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:04 pm 

Moustache Attack wrote:

"Wales were good enough to win every game, but they couldn't score tries".

That is a fecking belter. :lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:06 pm 

DAC2016 wrote:
Quote:
Anything good we do is belittled or explained away, and every setback is magnified. Every flaw our players have, and every poor game, is focused on, and the good things are forgotten. It's been that way for years.

Not a criticism but Scottish rugby has been in the doldrums for years, it will take more than one good season and one decent world cup effort to change people's minds.

I'm aware, but we're back to the moving goalposts again. 'You're not performing in the 6N' seamlessly becomes 'it'll take more than one good season'. If and when we manage that then they will move again.

Wales spent 10-15 years being absolutely shithouse in the 80s and 90s - remember the team fighting each other on a plane after a tour? - and never had fewer than 5 players in the squad. Ireland were also rubbish for years and only got shafted once. We've had it for five tours on the trot.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:09 pm 

BlackMac wrote:
Moustache Attack wrote:

"Wales were good enough to win every game, but they couldn't score tries".

That is a fecking belter. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Sounds very like the Parks years. We often had possession and territory, but something just wasn't working and we never scored tries. But we got zero sympathy at the time, so Wales can suck that up too.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:12 pm 

BlackMac wrote:
As HP keeps pointing out, it is a good idea to just let it go. I really didn't expect much more to be honest, not when you have Gatland and all his parochial Welsh inbreds involved.

Let them have their moment, it doesn't detract from the fact that their team are the most disrespectful pricks in rugby and their chavvy fans easily the least welcome of any that visit Edinburgh and probably any other city.

Just pleased that the wider rugby public can appreciate the stitch up.

Looking forward to the Australian match, we definitely owe them one after the last two matches (plus it'd be so so so sweet for us to win away against a team Gatland can't beat).

Last edited by spanks on Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:14 pm 

Sorry if you don't think it takes more than having one good season to have more Lions. I know the unfortunate events that lead to England putting 60 points on you in that one good season and it was pure bad luck.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:25 pm 

DAC2016 wrote:
Sorry if you don't think it takes more than having one good season to have more Lions. I know the unfortunate events that lead to England putting 60 points on you in that one good season and it was pure bad luck.

Thanks for the second sentence - it wasn't all bad luck, though that did play a part in the margin of defeat.

I have to take issue with the first sentence though. It's not the idea that you should have to perform consistently in the 6N for more than a season that I object to. It's that this rule seems only to apply to Scotland.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:28 pm 

in 97 Scotland finished 2nd bottom and supplied I think it was 6 players. The players involved in the squad were all really top quality. I just don't think applies to today.

I should stop here, don't want you to think I'm just on a wind up.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:37 pm 

Nobody wants charity/quotas but the coach surely has a bit of a duty to select across the 4 nations where there is very little, if anything, between the players.

Nobody would have batted an eyelid if, for instance, Brown toured instead of any of the selected hookers, a Gray replaced Lawes, Henderson or Ryan or in a 41 man squad you could find room for Finn Russell or Hamish Watson.

Davies, Halfpenny, AWJ didn't have great 6Ns. Why are they seemingly nailed on?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:42 pm 

Quote:
Davies, Halfpenny, AWJ didn't have great 6Ns. Why are they seemingly nailed on?

Isn't it obvious? Previous Lions tour experience and the coach knows them inside out.

Gatland, quite rightly, is going to try and win in NZ and picks accordingly.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 18542 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 459, 460, 461, 462, 463, 464  Next