Chat Forum
It is currently Sat Apr 29, 2017 6:27 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 18541 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 458, 459, 460, 461, 462, 463, 464  Next
PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:15 am 

zt1903 wrote:
So Lions rumours have us with Hogg as sole tourist.

If true I hope he declines to tour.

f**k 'em.

Regretfully can't find the will to disagree with that.

Let's wait and see who's picked though before going full on toy chucking mode.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:57 am 

dargotronV.1 wrote:
zt1903 wrote:

f**k 'em.

However, if the rumours are true and Roberts, Te'o and Sinckler are in while the likes of Russell and Dunbar are not...I'm guessing caber-sized toys will be tossed world-record distances by early afternoon. And I fully intend to take part.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:13 am 

Come now, it's not as if it is a surprise. I still suspect we will get more than just Hogg,but I never expected we would get more than three or four. The coach is known to have no regard for Scottish players and over the past few tours any Scottish involvement beyond the medical team has been seen as tokenism.
We are where we are, with Scots being classed as insignificant and a corresponding lack of interest from our supporters. I believe that the SRU still make some money from the tours,so it would be daft for them to officially withdraw from the B&I Lions, but you can't really blame us for failing to see the funny side and for consequently not giving a f*ck.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:29 am 

I don't think our medical team is even involved in this one. Hoggy if he decides to go will be the only Scot there.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:31 am 

Long since stopped caring about the Lions. Will be very happy if no Scots tour. There's a danger of thinking we've had a good season and therefore the job is done. We haven't and it isn't. We've had an acceptable 6N and that's it. Embra have gone backwards and Glasgow's had the shine taken off a bit. I'd like to see a good summer tour, building on the good work done so far, and none of our best players coming back from a Lions tour the worse for it.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:32 am 

Klytaemnestra's child wrote:
Come now, it's not as if it is a surprise. I still suspect we will get more than just Hogg,but I never expected we would get more than three or four. The coach is known to have no regard for Scottish players and over the past few tours any Scottish involvement beyond the medical team has been seen as tokenism.
We are where we are, with Scots being classed as insignificant and a corresponding lack of interest from our supporters. I believe that the SRU still make some money from the tours,so it would be daft for them to officially withdraw from the B&I Lions, but you can't really blame us for failing to see the funny side and for consequently not giving a f*ck.

I pretty much agree with this. I also think that suggesting players withdraw themselves from contention just because some people are in toy-chucking mode doesn't really take into consideration the player's views. Do they think it's become a joke? Do they think that they should turn their back on it?

I was lucky enough to be in the company of some Scotland internationals 4 years ago when the squad was announced and they were delighted for the players that were going. I'm pretty sure any player who might be in contention sees it as a potential career highlight.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:32 am 

Klytaemnestra's child wrote:

Yep, we don't play Gatland's kind of game. The performance at Twickenham probably only reinforced his views...not that any of the countries played well away from home this year.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:37 am 

Smutley wrote:
Long since stopped caring about the Lions. Will be very happy if no Scots tour. There's a danger of thinking we've had a good season and therefore the job is done. We haven't and it isn't. We've had an acceptable 6N and that's it. Embra have gone backwards and Glasgow's had the shine taken off a bit. I'd like to see a good summer tour, building on the good work done so far, and none of our best players coming back from a Lions tour the worse for it.

Actually feeling quite positive about the summer tour. Think it'll be a good run out, especially if we have only Hogg and one other away, will be good to see the likes of Taylor, Nel get some game time and hopefully some young uns like Bradbury and Price stepping up some more too.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:50 am 

dargotronV.1 wrote:
Smutley wrote:

Actually feeling quite positive about the summer tour. Think it'll be a good run out, especially if we have only Hogg and one other away, will be good to see the likes of Taylor, Nel get some game time and hopefully some young uns like Bradbury and Price stepping up some more too.

As long as the travel involved does not prove too much of a problem. Still Singapore, Sydney and Suva is probably better than the Canada, USA, Argentina, South Africa trek of a few years ago. Am tempted to try and take one or two of them in. If they had all been in Australia I'd halve considered going to all three.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 12:22 pm 

David990 wrote:
I don't think our medical team is even involved in this one. Hoggy if he decides to go will be the only Scot there.

Yep. Gatland didn't want Doc Rob. Seems medics with a no nonsense approach to player safety aren't welcome in Gatlands camp.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 12:24 pm 

As expected folks. No sense in getting Ayr United about it. We've a cracker of a summer tour to look forwards to, probably without having to worry about extra callups.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 12:24 pm 

Load of shite.

Anyway well done to Hogg and Seymour. Well deserved :thumbup:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 12:32 pm 

dargotronV.1 wrote:

Load of shite.

You actually expected more? Gatland has been making excuses for months now about why it would be hard to pick Scots. I know it's a parody bit stern verns tweet post Wales game was nail on the head.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 12:36 pm 

hp18 wrote:
dargotronV.1 wrote:

Load of shite.

You actually expected more? Gatland has been making excuses for months now about why it would be hard to pick Scots. I know it's a parody bit stern verns tweet post Wales game was nail on the head.

At the turn of the year I expected at least 3 - Hogg, Nel, Gray. So yes.

Whilst we all know Gatland is a tw*t who would throw himself in front of a bus for his taff favourites, it's nonetheless disappointing that the Lions concept be hijacked with a closed shop selection.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 12:39 pm 

hp18 wrote:
As expected folks. No sense in getting Ayr United about it. We've a cracker of a summer tour to look forwards to, probably without having to worry about extra callups.

We're so meek aren't we. Yes sir, no sir, thank you for stooping to take two players to carry the water for your superstars sir, you are so generous, sir. Only in Scotland.

Worst ever national contribution to a Lions squad and it doesn't even provoke any comment. The depths of Gatland's hatred of Scottish rugby is displayed once again and we meekly cringe and take it.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 12:43 pm 

Wylie Coyote wrote:
hp18 wrote:

We're so meek aren't we. Yes sir, no sir, thank you for stooping to take two players to carry the water for your superstars sir, you are so generous, sir. Only in Scotland.

Worst ever national contribution to a Lions squad and it doesn't even provoke any comment. The depths of Gatland's hatred of Scottish rugby is displayed once again and we meekly cringe and take it.

Ah so that was you with the "down with this sort of thing" placard we saw on the sky coverage.

Congrats on being the lone warrior fighting the cause! Twat.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 12:43 pm 

Wylie Coyote wrote:
hp18 wrote:

You're twisting that mate. What you see before you is taking an expected but nonetheless disappointing situation and handling it with dignity.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 12:44 pm 

Not going to get outraged as I expected no better, however some of the selections are baffling. It would appear that many players, Moriarty, Payne and Henderson for example have been selected on the back of one good performance, many others; Best, AWJ, Davies, Biggar, and Faletau have been picked on past reputation and Kruis has been selected regardless of questionable fitness.

In the meantime it would appear that the recent good performances of some Scots were completely overlooked after Twickenham.

As for Launchbury..................

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 12:47 pm 

clydecloggie wrote:
dargotronV.1 wrote:
zt1903 wrote:

f**k 'em.

However, if the rumours are true and Roberts, Te'o and Sinckler are in while the likes of Russell and Dunbar are not...I'm guessing caber-sized toys will be tossed world-record distances by early afternoon. And I fully intend to take part.

Pour yourself a half, have a think about that for a minute and don't bother.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 1:20 pm 

Wylie Coyote wrote:
hp18 wrote:

Get a grip.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 1:27 pm 

Hard to get enthused about a party that we're not invited to.

Congratulations to Hogg and Seymour on well deserved and merited selections. Hope they get the chance to show what they can do.

Bitterly disappointed that from such a talented and exciting pool of players available, we end up with that selection and game plan.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 4:01 pm 

I didn't expect a bumper crop, but I did think that the good performances we have put in this year would have forced Gatland's hand to the tune of 4 or 5 tourists. Instead we actually get fewer players on the tour than we did last time.

Gatland really has been making excuses for months - which demonstrates that this was always going to happen. It had sod all to do with Twickenham - which anyone could see was strongly influenced by a nightmare sequence of injuries in any case.

What annoys me - as I said on the other thread - is that the goalposts immediately get moved. The excuse for years has been that we're a losing team. This year we're not, and have been scoring tries for fun. We may have had a decent year, as opposed to superb, but the other countries can have a mediocre year and still get fairly represented. I've said it before - to get picked if you're Scottish you have to be twice as good as if you're not.

I haven't bothered to follow the last couple of Lions tours, so one more will be no great loss. Hopefully next time they won't pick a complete moron to be in charge.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 4:27 pm 

Oh, one other thing. What are the odds on them breaking Hogg? Pretty short, I'd say.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 7:35 pm 

It's nice to see that the welsh fans on here, much like their team on the pitch are proving themselves to be the most chavvy scum in world rugby.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 7:39 pm 

Doc Rob wrote:
Oh, one other thing. What are the odds on them breaking Hogg? Pretty short, I'd say.

I agree. Sadly Tommy won't get a look in and I fear that the NZ provinces will target Hogg as one of the only world class attacking threats. In the unlikely event of any Scots getting called up as injury replacements I would love to see them politely decline and concentrate on the Scotland tour.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 7:47 pm 

BlackMac wrote:
It's nice to see that the welsh fans on here, much like their team on the pitch are proving themselves to be the most chavvy scum in world rugby.

Fu€king despise some of the Welsh on here.

Other nations tend to be good craic.

Beating the Welsh is far more important to me nowadays than anyone else and it's due to the twats on here & Gatland's previous 3 involvements with the Lions.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:24 pm 

spanks wrote:
BlackMac wrote:

Fu€king despise some of the Welsh on here.

Other nations tend to be good craic.

Beating the Welsh is far more important to me nowadays than anyone else and it's due to the twats on here & Gatland's previous 3 involvements with the Lions.

Why despise them? This is just the Internet. In the highly unlikely event that the individuals concerned are anything like their online persona, then pity them rather than despise them.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:34 pm 

BlackMac wrote:
Doc Rob wrote:

I agree. Sadly Tommy won't get a look in and I fear that the NZ provinces will target Hogg as one of the only world class attacking threats. In the unlikely event of any Scots getting called up as injury replacements I would love to see them politely decline and concentrate on the Scotland tour.

I'm sure Hogg and Seymour will be delighted, and good luck to them. But I agree with you - anyone invited to tour as a replacement should tell Gatland where to shove his tour, given the state of his original selection.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:34 pm 

Honestly can't believe Jonny Gray didn't make the squad.

f**k it, hope Townsend makes him captain this summer.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:43 pm 

BlackMac wrote:

Let them have these moments. It's all they've got. They are from a pit of a country that's of no significance whatsoever. Well, apart from the significant amount of them that voted out of Europe because they are racist.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:58 pm 

spanks wrote:
Honestly can't believe Jonny Gray didn't make the squad.

f**k it, hope Townsend makes him captain this summer.

I can't believe it either, but as I said on the other thread, you can always make a case for selecting one player over another. What is a complete joke is that every player we have who put their hand up for selection - Gray, Gray, Watson, Laidlaw, Russell, Dunbar, even Brown - has been passed over. Every last one of them. I'm not including injured players, though something tells me Nel and Jones wouldn't have been picked either.

I was sad enough to check the composition of the squads back when we were decent and Ireland and Wales were shithouse.

1989: Wales and Ireland tied for last place in the 5N. 8 Welsh and 4 Irish selected.
1993: Wales last place in the 5N. 5 players selected. (Ireland 4th and had 2)
1997: Wales/Scotland/Ireland all tied for last place. 8 Welsh, 5 Scots, 4 Irish selected.

Basically Wales have never had a truly insulting representation. Even when they finished dead last they still got a reasonable clutch of players on the tour. Only Ireland's 1993 selection compares to the shite we've had to put up with (they beat England and Wales that year) but that was just one tour.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:00 pm 

The Lions squad is now more about the coach than being a reflection of the best players available. Especially when egos like Gatland or Woodward are in charge. Shame really as I think the whole thing will quickly lose its significance to players and therefore its wider relevance. This is the Warren Gatland Lions, end of.

Will be interesting to see who gets the 15 shirt for us. Would not be at all surprised though to see our squad depleted because they're near by. Almost the worst of all worlds. Players lost to the Lions to play midweek games rather than play tests vs Oz. Will be interesting to see how Townsend and the SRu deal with that. Perhaps players will be asked to decline, especially if it's to be squadies.

All in all, disappointing but rather predictable.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:04 pm 

GWWG wrote:
The Lions squad is now more about the coach than being a reflection of the best players available. Especially when egos like Gatland or Woodward are in charge. Shame really as I think the whole thing will quickly lose its significance to players and therefore its wider relevance. This is the Warren Gatland Lions, end of.

Will be interesting to see who gets the 15 shirt for us. Would not be at all surprised though to see our squad depleted because they're near by. Almost the worst of all worlds. Players lost to the Lions to play midweek games rather than play tests vs Oz. Will be interesting to see how Townsend and the SRu deal with that. Perhaps players will be asked to decline, especially if it's to be squadies.

All in all, disappointing but rather predictable.

Wouldn't worry. Wales and Ireland will both be touring within spitting distance. I would love for our guys to refuse a call-up to play midweek games, but you can't expect them to turn down the chance to wear the shirt if it's offered. Even if it's as a dirt tracker.

Maitland is a cert to start at 15, but it would be nice to see Kinghorn get a shot as a replacement.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:20 pm 

Thread has become quite anti Welsh :lol:

On a positive note summer tour:

Loosehead, back row, centre and back three only contentious positions. Would like the line-up to be: Reid Brown Fagerson Gray x2 Barclay Watson Wilson Price Russell Taylor Dunbar Scott Visser Maitland

Ford Dell Rae (?) Swinson Denton Laidlaw Weir (?) Hughes.

Quite a good line up potentially.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:34 pm 

2 is jokeshop stuff guys.
Can fully understand your frustration.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 1:44 am 

I like haggis wrote:
Thread has become quite anti Welsh :lol:

On a positive note summer tour:

Loosehead, back row, centre and back three only contentious positions. Would like the line-up to be: Reid Brown Fagerson Gray x2 Barclay Watson Wilson Price Russell Taylor Dunbar Scott Visser Maitland

Ford Dell Rae (?) Swinson Denton Laidlaw Weir (?) Hughes.

Quite a good line up potentially.

Will Sutherland be fit? Or Nel for that matter?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:26 am 

GWWG wrote:

Well said, very dispiriting selection for the Scots this tour.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:24 am 

Warren Gatland, in the Guardian. What a colossal c.ck... One away win outside of Italy this 6n but it's Scotland who have the problem with winning away from home. & I'm sure he's simply forgetting that Scotland were in New Zealand in 2011 for the world cup.

Quote:
“We are playing away from home and Scotland haven’t been to New Zealand since 2000. We have to perform away from home, that’s going to be paramount.”

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:24 am 

Some folk need to calm down a bit, it was always pikely and theres more important things. Others need to realise that being so fed up with the Lions carry on as to prefer the kiwis to go well is not an unreasonable position.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:25 am 

dargotronV.1 wrote:
Warren Gatland, in the Guardian. What a colossal c.ck... One away win outside of Italy this 6n but it's Scotland who have the problem with winning away from home. & I'm sure he's simply forgetting that Scotland were in New Zealand in 2011 for the world cup.

Quote:
“We are playing away from home and Scotland haven’t been to New Zealand since 2000. We have to perform away from home, that’s going to be paramount.”

They certainly performed at Murrayfield.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 18541 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 458, 459, 460, 461, 462, 463, 464  Next