Chat Forum
It is currently Wed May 24, 2017 4:31 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 18730 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 460, 461, 462, 463, 464, 465, 466 ... 469  Next
PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:43 pm 

DAC2016 wrote:
in 97 Scotland finished 2nd bottom and supplied I think it was 6 players. The players involved in the squad were all really top quality. I just don't think applies to today.

I should stop here, don't want you to think I'm just on a wind up.

It was 5 players, and as it happens Scotland, Wales and Ireland finished in a tie for 3rd. (Wales had 8 players picked, Ireland 4).

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:45 pm 

Doc Rob wrote:
DAC2016 wrote:
in 97 Scotland finished 2nd bottom and supplied I think it was 6 players. The players involved in the squad were all really top quality. I just don't think applies to today.

I should stop here, don't want you to think I'm just on a wind up.

It was 5 players, and as it happens Scotland, Wales and Ireland finished in a tie for 3rd. (Wales had 8 players picked, Ireland 4).

And we went and smashed them against all the odds.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:46 pm 

As it happens it was 6 with an injury call up.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:58 pm 

DAC2016 wrote:
As it happens it was 6 with an injury call up.

I know. I was talking about the original squad.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:01 pm 

DAC2016 wrote:
Quote:
Davies, Halfpenny, AWJ didn't have great 6Ns. Why are they seemingly nailed on?

Isn't it obvious? Previous Lions tour experience and the coach knows them inside out.

Gatland, quite rightly, is going to try and win in NZ and picks accordingly.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:00 pm 

SamShark wrote:
DAC2016 wrote:
Quote:

Isn't it obvious? Previous Lions tour experience and the coach knows them inside out.

[img]DELETED[/img]

Spoiler that FFS - can't have that arsehole showing up anywhere other than: A) The English thread; B) A Lions thread or; C) Twat of the Year thread.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:20 pm 

Market Square Hero wrote:
SamShark wrote:
DAC2016 wrote:
Quote:

[img]DELETED[/img]

Spoiler that FFS - can't have that arsehole showing up anywhere other than: A) The English thread; B) A Lions thread or; C) Twat of the Year thread.

I think Theresa May has that last one sewn up, despite a strong last-minute challenge from Warren Gatland.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:21 pm 

Why is a Welsh troll on the Scottish rugby thread? We don't clog up their page, away and look for some attention with dai m9.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:24 pm 

I like haggis wrote:
Why is a Welsh troll on the Scottish rugby thread? We don't clog up their page, away and look for some attention with dai m9.

He wasn't being that bad, and he's gone now.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:37 pm 

What's the betting he picks Halfpenny ahead of Hogg for the test team.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:04 am 

Floppykid wrote:
What's the betting he picks Halfpenny ahead of Hogg for the test team.

Honestly couldn't give a shit right now. I was looking forward to an old-style Lions tour where we all had players to get behind. Gatland has taken that prospect away. If he picks Halfpenny then at least Hogg won't get injured.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:58 am 

In all the Lions kerfuffle did anyone else notice former Edinburgh player Piers Francis was called up to the England squad! :shock:

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:04 am 

zt1903 wrote:
In all the Lions kerfuffle did anyone else notice former Edinburgh player Piers Francis was called up to the England squad! :shock:

He has been getting plenty of game time for the Blues and Counties in NZ and has signed with Northampton for next season. Still pretty average to be honest, especially by local standards at Super Rugby level.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:14 am 

Tom English sneering at Scottish players as usual - saying that all of our guys missed out to good players. We know this. It's the fact that they missed out every single time that pisses us off.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/39648980

Tom Shanklin openly stating that our players are less talented than the others! What a load of utter shite.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/39648292

Perhaps I should just give up the internet altogether?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:18 am 

Doc Rob wrote:
Tom English sneering at Scottish players as usual - saying that all of our guys missed out to good players. We know this. It's the fact that they missed out every single time that pisses us off.

Tom Shanklin openly stating that our players are less talented than the others! What a load of utter shite.

Tom English is a great example of what is holding back Scottish rugby. Why is the supposed journalistic font of Scottish rugby an Irish plum who delights in telling us how shite we are?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:09 am 

Klytaemnestra's child wrote:
Doc Rob wrote:

Tom English is a great example of what is holding back Scottish rugby. Why is the supposed journalistic font of Scottish rugby an Irish plum who delights in telling us how shite we are?

100% this.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:14 am 

English is a disgrace. Interesting he asks lots of questions about who you'd leave out, yet the story isn't open for comments.

But again, I am very happy that a pretty much intact squad will be available for the tour. They have work to do if they are to kick on from here.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:20 am 

If people stopped clicking on his articles he would be out of a job.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:13 am 

It's actually Shanklin's article that infuriates me more.

Firstly, because he is openly perpetuating the myth that Scottish players are somehow inherently inferior to Welsh players (eh?) and secondly, because he is doing exactly what I've been ranting about, and explaining away our best 6N game in years as 'they play better as a team'. Leaving aside the thinly veiled sneer at our players, I thought rugby was supposed to be a team game?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:23 am 

As I said elsewhere, it seems to be that any excuse will do. It doesn't have to be a good one.
Some of the reasoning has even been contradictory. The statement that a player's nationality was not looked at, then the excuse that Scots players not having played tests in New Zealand since 2000 being a case in point.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:25 am 

OptimisticJock wrote:
If people stopped clicking on his articles he would be out of a job.

+1

Now how do we get Rob of Andrew Coitter?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 1:50 pm 

Moustache Attack wrote:

I've tried to put together a more measured response than simply calling the fella a plum (tempting as it was):

http://wp.me/p68WtH-5PM

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 1:58 pm 

My issue is not that individually we are better than who has been selected but every single time a choice has to be made, it goes against us. Every negative from Scotland is held up as a reason not to pick them, and every single positive is explained away.

AWJ is supposedly there for his leadership, but made many questionable decisions during 6n, including being over ruled by his kickers at a vital moment.

Watson outplayed Tupric and Warburton and beat them at there own game, yet it's forgotten about.

Glasgow get to a quarter final by humping tigers to nil away, yet apparently we can't travel. A tigers side that includes Cole who got shoved all over the park by the vastly inferior Scottish front row yet nobody cares.

The same success of getting through the group stages is met with "well, you got beat away from home against the reigning camps, so you must be shite. Let's applaud the guys who didn't get that far".

We were playing, by common consensus, the most exciting, expansive clinical backs play in the 6n, yet after the England game, where we started without 9 first choice and lost another 4 during the game, we are suddenly shite(we were shite that game but no reasoning is accepted, it's just taken as proof of our shiteness)

Glasgow win the pro 12, get to semis the following year, yet it's claimed we can't expect any players to be selected as the players have only been good for 1 season, despite above claims that we were shite anyway cause we lost to England and Sarries.

This is a childish rant, but why do they have to have hogg like supremacy over their ivals to be classed as worthy.

I love the lions but it's very hard to rouse yourself to support a team made up of entirely players who you want to lose for the other 3 years and 10 months.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 2:32 pm 

The fact that the Welsh are so rabid about this shows their guilt.

Fuck the Lions. Honestly, it's for the best.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:28 pm 

Lads, just popping in to say I do think you've been pretty badly treated there

I hope it doesn't disillusion people too much although I was chatting to my Scots mate who's been mad about the lions for years and even he's pretty negative

Feck the Aussies over will you please :thumbup:

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:38 pm 

happyhooker wrote:

I hope it doesn't disillusion people too much although I was chatting to my Scots mate who's been mad about the lions for years and even he's pretty negative

It's ok mate. It's just the screechy SNP types that get really riled up.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:40 pm 

OptimisticJock wrote:
happyhooker wrote:

Ah ffs, trolling your own national thread? :P

OptimisticJock wrote:
happyhooker wrote:

It's ok mate. We North Brits know our place.

Fixed.

hp18 wrote:
OptimisticJock wrote:
happyhooker wrote:

:lol:

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:52 pm 

Aldo wrote:
My issue is not that individually we are better than who has been selected but every single time a choice has to be made, it goes against us. Every negative from Scotland is held up as a reason not to pick them, and every single positive is explained away.

AWJ is supposedly there for his leadership, but made many questionable decisions during 6n, including being over ruled by his kickers at a vital moment.

Watson outplayed Tupric and Warburton and beat them at there own game, yet it's forgotten about.

Glasgow get to a quarter final by humping tigers to nil away, yet apparently we can't travel. A tigers side that includes Cole who got shoved all over the park by the vastly inferior Scottish front row yet nobody cares.

The same success of getting through the group stages is met with "well, you got beat away from home against the reigning camps, so you must be shite. Let's applaud the guys who didn't get that far".

We were playing, by common consensus, the most exciting, expansive clinical backs play in the 6n, yet after the England game, where we started without 9 first choice and lost another 4 during the game, we are suddenly shite(we were shite that game but no reasoning is accepted, it's just taken as proof of our shiteness)

Glasgow win the pro 12, get to semis the following year, yet it's claimed we can't expect any players to be selected as the players have only been good for 1 season, despite above claims that we were shite anyway cause we lost to England and Sarries.

This is a childish rant, but why do they have to have hogg like supremacy over their ivals to be classed as worthy.

I love the lions but it's very hard to rouse yourself to support a team made up of entirely players who you want to lose for the other 3 years and 10 months.

Yeah, this is pretty much 100% what I think too (and have posted similar). As to the last part, one of the nice things about the Lions is being able to cheer on players you usually want to lose - but you need to have at least a few of your own there too.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:01 pm 

hp18 wrote:
OptimisticJock wrote:
happyhooker wrote:

:lol:

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:37 pm 

Aldo wrote:

I might take a copy of your post because it succinctly summarises what I have been trying to say since Wednesday. :thumbup:

If only our journalists and pundits would put that case it might get a fair hearing.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:54 pm 

I honestly have no emotional involvement in the Lions now. I reckon neither Hogg nor Seymour will get near the test team for the same reasoning that Gatland has used for not picking the other Scots who should be on tour. If there were a few more Scots guys and they had an equal chance of getting into the test team then things would be different but how can I be expected to support a bunch of guys who I don't support week in week out and who I have watched our guys outplay on more than one occasion this year. If I am honest I watch and support the NZ super league teams and the ABs more often than I do any welsh, english or irish teams. Therefore for me its the ABs I will be supporting? I will of course be cheering on Hogg and Seymour in their games but, absolutely wrongly, they have a feckin mountain of favouritism and prejudice to climb if they are to get into the test team.

On a broader front I feel that Gatland has devalued the Lions and what it stands for. He should be picking the best players and the best team not his mates from the country he manages. He has made it clear from day 1 that he wouldn’t be picking any Scots and the token gestures he has made have been very poor. Expecting Townsend to play understudy to Howley was just plain embarrassingly bad judgement and I am glad Toonie turned it down. Watching wales trundle up in the 6Ns was evidence enough that decision was the correct one. It seems that Gatland has used that as an excuse to pick his welsh buddies despite how poorly they have been playing at club and country level for some time now. I suspect Gatland's initial team selection is going to let him down badly in the first test and I expect significant changes in personnel in 2nd and 3rd tests as his poor judgement and limited game plan becomes clear. The ABs will be relishing the game!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 5:06 pm 

dpedin wrote:
I honestly have no emotional involvement in the Lions now. I reckon neither Hogg nor Seymour will get near the test team for the same reasoning that Gatland has used for not picking the other Scots who should be on tour. If there were a few more Scots guys and they had an equal chance of getting into the test team then things would be different but how can I be expected to support a bunch of guys who I don't support week in week out and who I have watched our guys outplay on more than one occasion this year. If I am honest I watch and support the NZ super league teams and the ABs more often than I do any welsh, english or irish teams. Therefore for me its the ABs I will be supporting? I will of course be cheering on Hogg and Seymour in their games but, absolutely wrongly, they have a feckin mountain of favouritism and prejudice to climb if they are to get into the test team.

On a broader front I feel that Gatland has devalued the Lions and what it stands for. He should be picking the best players and the best team not his mates from the country he manages. He has made it clear from day 1 that he wouldn’t be picking any Scots and the token gestures he has made have been very poor. Expecting Townsend to play understudy to Howley was just plain embarrassingly bad judgement and I am glad Toonie turned it down. Watching wales trundle up in the 6Ns was evidence enough that decision was the correct one. It seems that Gatland has used that as an excuse to pick his welsh buddies despite how poorly they have been playing at club and country level for some time now. I suspect Gatland's initial team selection is going to let him down badly in the first test and I expect significant changes in personnel in 2nd and 3rd tests as his poor judgement and limited game plan becomes clear. The ABs will be relishing the game!

The spread bookies are making a price in the first test of AB's by 8-10 - huge buy @ 10 IMO

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 12:13 am 

Would never wish an injury on anyone but I've just looked at the team sheets for the weekend - makes you realise why, as a player, you wouldn't whinge (yet) if you've been missed out. There could be 3/4 changes by Monday after a brutal weekend.

On another note we, Scotland, given that both Pro teams have nothing to play for should pretty much ignore anything other than looking after our players as much as we can for the Summer tour. If Edinburgh or Glasgow play a weakened team and it has ramifications elsewhere - Fuuck them - we've been clearly shown where we stand.
We should definitely rest everybody for away matches and if anyone complains, especially Ospreys or Scarlets - we can refer them to Warren.

Last edited by malky on Sat Apr 22, 2017 12:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 12:47 am 

Kiwi here....i agree with your sentiments re- Lions selections, and lack of scots players. To have 3 kiwi born selected ahead of scots

players is a kick in the nuts. I don't blame Gatts entirely...he's part of a team of selectors. Is there a scot anywhere in the

management team?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 11:48 am 

terangi48 wrote:
Kiwi here....i agree with your sentiments re- Lions selections, and lack of scots players. To have 3 kiwi born selected ahead of scots

players is a kick in the nuts. I don't blame Gatts entirely...he's part of a team of selectors. Is there a scot anywhere in the

management team?

Nope - Gatland sacked the scottish doctor on the team as well!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 1:09 pm 

terangi48 wrote:

management team?

Not a one. They asked Townsend (new Scotland coach, replacing Vern Cotter and being himself replaced by Dave Rennie at Glasgow) to understudy Rob Howley (interim Welsh coach, bugger all understanding of attacking rugby, so made Lion's attack coach). Townsend politely declined.

I hope your boys tear them a new one ...which would completely end any hopes Gatland has of one day coaching the ABs ...not that I reckon he ever had a chance, though possibly Cotter and Rennie could!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 3:45 pm 

I was reading that Gatland was second choice as Lions coach - is that right? They wanted Schmidt? I would have preferred him or Jones, but wonder whether either would have a game plan that would have included more Scots. Perhaps Eddie would; he likes a fast and attacking team.

It's pretty disappointing that he doesn't rate the Scots lads, but did anyone really think he'd select any? I don't think he's ever said or done anything to suggest he rates any of them (with the exception of noting that Hogg is an adequate player).

Looking forward to the summer tour. It would be fantastic to beat the Aussies down there again.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 4:10 pm 

Stern Vern confirming what we all know

https://twitter.com/vern_cotter/status/ ... 2230453248

Penny for the real VC's thoughts

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 18730 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 460, 461, 462, 463, 464, 465, 466 ... 469  Next