Chat Forum
It is currently Tue Apr 25, 2017 7:21 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 442 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
 Post subject: Re: 2 Scots
PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:43 am 

Hawk97 wrote:
As someone who values strategy, tactics and an overarching gameplan above everything else - I welcome Gatland picking players who he feels can adhere to said functions. If, however, that strategy turns out to be totally ineffective, then he should be criticised and moved aside for the next tour. We can ponder over why he's selected Moriarty over Watson, say, but they are as different a BRer can be and Gatland has gone for the player who can play to his strategy.

Lawes over Launchbury is still a head scratcher on those grounds though. :lol:

Entirely fair.

But he's never going to do the next tour. Whatever happens.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:46 am 

Saturnine wrote:
Trostan wrote:
alliswell wrote:
henry wrote:
Scotland's first win against us in 10 or so matches is certainly taking on quite the mythical status. A demolition, no less. A victory for the ages. Perhaps similar kudos should he attached to their victory over the Irish, and ours (although Ireland have only beaten us once in the last five, and three out of the last 10) given that the Irish are clearly a level above us. Makes me wonder why the selections of Rory Best Meltdowns Eva, Iain Played Lock for His Club Twice This Season Henderson, Sean Horribly Out Of Form O'Brien and Jared Kiwi Poach Payne haven't received similar levels of criticism and rage? Most curious.

Who's got two thumbs, beat New Zealand this season and doesn't give a shit what some chap on the internet thinks about him?

Rory, congratulations on captaining Ireland in the last 12 months to wins over England, France, South Africa, Australia and New Zealand.
Now, who was the last Welsh captain to win a match against any one of these?
And in which era?

Hmmm.

Warburton against England. in the 2015 RWC, at Twickenham.
Warburton against France. 2016 6N.
Gethin Jenkins against South Africa. 2016 Autumn Internationals.
Ryan Jones against Australia 2008.
Ieuan Evans. 1993 Lions Tour.

All bar one in the professional era.

Not sure those stats are going to prove what you think they prove...

Ieuan Evans didn't captain the Lions, did he?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:46 am 

Saturnine wrote:
Trostan wrote:
alliswell wrote:
henry wrote:
Scotland's first win against us in 10 or so matches is certainly taking on quite the mythical status. A demolition, no less. A victory for the ages. Perhaps similar kudos should he attached to their victory over the Irish, and ours (although Ireland have only beaten us once in the last five, and three out of the last 10) given that the Irish are clearly a level above us. Makes me wonder why the selections of Rory Best Meltdowns Eva, Iain Played Lock for His Club Twice This Season Henderson, Sean Horribly Out Of Form O'Brien and Jared Kiwi Poach Payne haven't received similar levels of criticism and rage? Most curious.

Who's got two thumbs, beat New Zealand this season and doesn't give a shit what some chap on the internet thinks about him?

Rory, congratulations on captaining Ireland in the last 12 months to wins over England, France, South Africa, Australia and New Zealand.
And in which era?

Hmmm.

Thanks, I'll just update my history books.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:48 am 

henry wrote:
Hawk97 wrote:
As someone who values strategy, tactics and an overarching gameplan above everything else - I welcome Gatland picking players who he feels can adhere to said functions. If, however, that strategy turns out to be totally ineffective, then he should be criticised and moved aside for the next tour. We can ponder over why he's selected Moriarty over Watson, say, but they are as different a BRer can be and Gatland has gone for the player who can play to his strategy.

Entirely fair.

Oh ok. He'll want to win this tour more than anything, I'd assume, so we need to trust that his selections are for the purpose of just that. Winning.

...but Lawes/Hendo over Launchbury... :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:51 am 

theo wrote:
Saturnine wrote:
Trostan wrote:
alliswell wrote:
henry wrote:

And in which era?

Hmmm.

Ieuan Evans didn't captain the Lions, did he?

No.

But the question was: "who was the last Welsh captain to win a match against any of these?"

Ieuan was Welsh captain when he toured NZ with the Lions.

Actually, I need to change the Australia one to Warburton: 2013.

Be a love and edit it for me, would you?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:56 am 

Clive Simms wrote:
At the end of the day when Scotland beat Wales they had 4 more lineout wins, three more players in scrum caps, two more players in green boots and 13 players over 6ft then when Wales beat Ireland they had 7 players in black boots, 2 not wearing a gum shield whereas England only had 3 players not wearing gum shields when they played on the same weekend while they also had 8 more knock ons but interestingly when Ireland beat England the humidity pitch side was 65% and six of the Irish players had pasta as the pre match meal which leads me to the inevitable conclusion that the exclusion of Gavin Henson is a pure tragedy

:thumbup:

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:59 am 

Hawk97 wrote:
henry wrote:
Hawk97 wrote:

Entirely fair.

Oh ok. He'll want to win this tour more than anything, I'd assume, so we need to trust that his selections are for the purpose of just that. Winning.

It is the weirdest pick - not bringing Launchbury.
(Maybe seeing that Henderson also pays six is a reason for him - even though there are already plenty of sixes).
But, how does he account for Lawes over Launchbury?
More scrum power, harder in contact?
Can't see anything else Lawes has that Launchbury or Johnny Gray can't better.
Probable first replacement though.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:02 am 

Lawes is a much better lineout forward and can play 6. He also had an excellent 6N. But so did Launchbury. Basically AWJ was lucky but going on rep. Henderson also lucky as he has rarely played at lock.

He would probably have been better ditching Moriarty and taking Launchbury as Itoje, Lawes and Henderson can all cover 6.

Moriarty is the crunch here. I mean WTF?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:05 am 

theo wrote:
Lawes is a much better lineout forward and can play 6. He also had an excellent 6N. But so did Launchbury. Basically AWJ was lucky but going on rep. Henderson also lucky as he has rarely played at lock.

He would probably have been better ditching Moriarty and taking Launchbury as Itoje, Lawes and Henderson can all cover 6.

Form. Good dirt/tracker. Perhaps SOB is the luckier one?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:24 am 

henry wrote:
theo wrote:

Form. Good dirt/tracker. Perhaps SOB is the luckier one?

Moriarty had some good moments. SOB has experience on his side...though I expect he'll be the first to go down injured. In comes Joe.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:29 am 

Trostan wrote:
Hawk97 wrote:
henry wrote:
Hawk97 wrote:

Entirely fair.

(Maybe seeing that Henderson also pays six is a reason for him - even though there are already plenty of sixes).

It's not scrum power, as Launch has more of that, as well. Lawes was carrying well in the 6N, to be fair, but again - so was Launch. The only thing that separates Lawes from Launch is the lineout. Lawes, along with Maro, takes pretty much all the lineout ball. He also calls it.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:37 am 

Saw elsewhere that there were something like 10/11 replacements to the original squad on the last tour. Given that was before the 'new' regs around head injuries, and seeing the regular impact of these in 6N, AP and Pro12, I reckon there could easily be up to 20 changes to the squad before the tour's completed.

With European semis & finals, league run-ins, playoffs and finals, the opportunity for pre-tour attrition is significant.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:40 am 

Hawk97 wrote:
Trostan wrote:
Hawk97 wrote:
henry wrote:
Hawk97 wrote:

Entirely fair.

It's not scrum power, as Launch has more of that, as well. Lawes was carrying well in the 6N, to be fair, but again - so was Launch. The only thing that separates Lawes from Launch is the lineout. Lawes, along with Maro, takes pretty much all the lineout ball. He also calls it.

Launchbury's the best lock in Europe. He goes. It's as simple as that. So what the f**k Gatland was thinking, I've no idea.

Henderson? Really? You've already got Lawes and Itoje who can cover back row.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:40 am 

Brothwick decided that a lock that doesn't lock is more important. He is English and the forwards coach. So that is on him.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:41 am 

Crash_12 wrote:
Blimey.

Suprised they got 2!

I mean Tommy Seymour. Really??????

Hogg's world class though and is a nailed on starter.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:42 am 

Deadtigers wrote:
Brothwick decided that a lock that doesn't lock is more important. He is English and the forwards coach. So that is on him.

Who the fuck are you talking about?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:46 am 

In fairness to Henderson, of whom I am frequently critical, the lineout wouldn't have been considered a strength of his but he has obviously worked on it to a sufficient degree to allow him to supplant great big Dev in the Ireland team, even calling it against England.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:48 am 

Is this thread showing any signs of petering out? At least your country getts a f.ucking representation on the union flag.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:50 am 

Market Square Hero wrote:
Saw elsewhere that there were something like 10/11 replacements to the original squad on the last tour. Given that was before the 'new' regs around head injuries, and seeing the regular impact of these in 6N, AP and Pro12, I reckon there could easily be up to 20 changes to the squad before the tour's completed.

With European semis & finals, league run-ins, playoffs and finals, the opportunity for pre-tour attrition is significant.

Yep. Some won't even make the plane. Such is pro rugby.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:50 am 

Chuckles1188 wrote:
Deadtigers wrote:

The Lawes over Launchbury call. The one person that could have talked sense about that call was forwards coach and former England captain and Lock Steve Brothwick but he didn't. Gatland stated that it was a tough call between the two and if the took Launchbury people would be just as upset they left Lawes.

I guess Johnny Gray, the top tackling lock who went 80 minutes all 6N was never in the conversation, though he scrums and runs lineouts.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:51 am 

alliswell wrote:
In fairness to Henderson, of whom I am frequently critical, the lineout wouldn't have been considered a strength of his but he has obviously worked on it to a sufficient degree to allow him to supplant great big Dev in the Ireland team, even calling it against England.

Hence my suspicion that he was selected on the basis of 'one' good match against England, whereas Launchbury was supurb throughout the 6 Nations, barring one quiet game against Ireland. Makes no sense at all

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:52 am 

They just were not up to the job.

Got utterly stuffed and suffered the consequences.

I'm actually sad about that but in a war, you want Lions, not sheep.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:52 am 

Deadtigers wrote:
Chuckles1188 wrote:
Deadtigers wrote:

The Lawes over Launchbury call. The one person that could have talked sense about that call was forwards coach and former England captain and Lock Steve Brothwick but he didn't. Gatland stated that it was a tough call between the two and if the took Launchbury people would be just as upset they left Lawes.

I guess Johnny Gray, the top tackling lock who went 80 minutes all 6N was never in the conversation, though he scrums and runs lineouts.

And you think Lawes doesn't lock in the scrum? Maybe you should stop posting about rugby

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:53 am 

Just walk away Chuckles. It's in his head and despite attempts to correct him on other threads, it's not going anywhere

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:54 am 

alliswell wrote:

Players who've played him talk about Hendo's physical strength.
He's also hard to stop when carrying.
Dirt-tracker, though.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:05 pm 

J Gray is unlucky but Launchbury has more rights to complain.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:26 pm 

Gwenno wrote:
Is this thread showing any signs of petering out? At least your country getts a f.ucking representation on the union flag.

It's not the Scots that are keeping it going.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:28 pm 

Chuckles1188 wrote:
Deadtigers wrote:
Chuckles1188 wrote:
Deadtigers wrote:

And you think Lawes doesn't lock in the scrum? Maybe you should stop posting about rugby

In this 6N, Itoje was predominantly used to scrum while Lawes was on Flank. Is that true or not? I know Lawes locks for Saints. My argument is if you are a lock but not considered a good enough scrummager by your National team coach, who dafuq do you get picked over the guy that is, because being able to scrum is a core duty of a lock.

Btw, sorry I Didn't realize hyperbole was not allowed here,

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:31 pm 

englishgreat wrote:
alliswell wrote:

Hence my suspicion that he was selected on the basis of 'one' good match against England, whereas Launchbury was supurb throughout the 6 Nations, barring one quiet game against Ireland. Makes no sense at all

I think Henderson has produced performances that are up there with any other locks and his carrying is probably better than all other options. He's not as consistent as them though.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:32 pm 

CrazyIslander wrote:
J Gray is unlucky but Launchbury has more rights to complain.

Without doubt, and I'll probably get lynched by some fellow Scots for saying this, but I think JG is overrated. He also dropped off big time during the 6N. Launchbury should definitely be there ahead of 'The Myth' AWJ.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:46 pm 

I'm not calling Gatland unprofessional or whatever other straw man our Welsh brethren are trying to erect. I just think he's a fanny.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:47 pm 

Deadtigers wrote:
Chuckles1188 wrote:
Deadtigers wrote:
Chuckles1188 wrote:
Deadtigers wrote:

In this 6N, Itoje was predominantly used to scrum while Lawes was on Flank. Is that true or not? I know Lawes locks for Saints. My argument is if you are a lock but not considered a good enough scrummager by your National team coach, who dafuq do you get picked over the guy that is, because being able to scrum is a core duty of a lock.

Btw, sorry I Didn't realize hyperbole was not allowed here,

Oh Christ, not this garbage again. No, it wasn't that he was "not considered a good enough scrummager", it was that they wanted Itoje and Launch scrummaging. Lawes has a huge number of caps where he locks. It's utter bellendery to say Lawes can't scrum because they decided to have him on the flank in this 6N.

As for Johnny Gray, the top tackling lock? Bollocks. He made 73 tackles. Launchbury made 85.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 1:14 pm 

englishgreat wrote:
alliswell wrote:

If people think selection was based on one game then they're mad.

Gatland made a point that Lawes and Henderson both call the lineout and that Launchbury doesn't and that their ability to cover the backrow helps them.

In addition Henderson was massive when an understrength Ireland went to SA and won for the first time in history, played very well vs Australia and comfortably outperformed both English locks in their 6N match up, all the while playing blindside in an atrocious Ulster pack week in week out.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 1:15 pm 

Quote:
and comfortably outperformed both English locks in their 6N match up

:lol:

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 1:15 pm 

earl the beaver wrote:
englishgreat wrote:
alliswell wrote:

If people think selection was based on one game then they're mad.

Gatland made a point that Lawes and Henderson both call the lineout and that Launchbury doesn't and that their ability to cover the backrow helps them.

In addition Henderson was massive when an understrength Ireland went to SA and won for the first time in history, played very well vs Australia and comfortably outperformed both English locks in their 6N match up, all the while playing blindside in an atrocious Ulster pack week in week out.

I have to back Earl up here, Henderson is a nailed on test starter in my humble opinion

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 1:18 pm 

theo wrote:
Quote:
and comfortably outperformed both English locks in their 6N match up

:lol:

Henderson was the best secondrow on the pitch, by a distance, in the Ireland vs England game.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 1:27 pm 

This narrow Irish home win is taking on mythological proportions. I thought Henderson had a good game, but the match was won and lost by the fact that England picked two not-match-fit players and then tried to take Ireland on at the kicking game and lost without having really tried to fire a shot, with the bench impact getting its teeth knocked out.

Anyway, some stats.

Henderson had 9 carries for 4m, 12 tackles, and nicked a lineout. Scored a try. Busy day but it was a tight old match.

Launchbury: 8 for 7, 18 tackles
Lawes: 5 for 12, 20 tackles
Itoje: 6 for 2, 20 tackles

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 1:36 pm 

It's kind of bizarre how much more effective Lawes has become as a carrier over this season.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 1:47 pm 

By the way, Laidlaw on the bench for Glos this weekend. He still has a chance to make it with an injury.

Murray still injured...as is SOB.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 1:47 pm 

JM2K6 wrote:
This narrow Irish home win is taking on mythological proportions. I thought Henderson had a good game, but the match was won and lost by the fact that England picked two not-match-fit players and then tried to take Ireland on at the kicking game and lost without having really tried to fire a shot, with the bench impact getting its teeth knocked out.

Anyway, some stats.

Henderson had 9 carries for 4m, 12 tackles, and nicked a lineout. Scored a try. Busy day but it was a tight old match.

Launchbury: 8 for 7, 18 tackles
Lawes: 5 for 12, 20 tackles
Itoje: 6 for 2, 20 tackles

The real reason you lost was because Ireland stopped your ball carriers behind the gainline and kept the ball for long periods themselves. Had Ireland any attacking nous or even a decent backline, it would have been a very comfortable win.

Teams rarely bully Ireland in Lansdowne.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 442 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next