Chat Forum
It is currently Thu Apr 27, 2017 12:19 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 442 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12  Next
 Post subject: 2 Scots
PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 12:13 pm 

Blimey.

Post subject: Re: 2 Scots
PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 12:13 pm 

Hopefully neither are near the test team.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 12:15 pm 

Crash_12 wrote:
Blimey.

But with a good shot of both starting in the test XV...so hopefully that might provide some compensation. Does seem harsh though. That Twickenham disaster really screwed them.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 12:17 pm 

:lol:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 12:17 pm 

Kid A wrote:
Hopefully neither are near the test team.

This.

And I don't think they will be. Gatland won't want Hogg at full back. If he plays, he will be on the wing.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 12:18 pm 

Scotland 29-13 Wales

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 12:20 pm 

4 full backs. Hogg might be lucky to get a run at Fly half during a midweek game.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 12:21 pm 

Rossco wrote:
4 full backs. Hogg might be lucky to get a run at Fly half during a midweek game.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 12:22 pm 

I'm just not seeing who all these standout Scottish players were... If anyone says Laidlaw or Russell, they need to have a quiet word with themselves.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 12:23 pm 

Scotland plays Italy, Australia and Fiji, would you rather your national team was stronger or weaker with all your stars playing for the Lions?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 12:24 pm 

Da iawn diolch wrote:
I'm just not seeing who all these standout Scottish players were... If anyone says Laidlaw or Russell, they need to have a quiet word with themselves.

And who are the stand-out Welsh players?

I think that will be the problem that people have.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 12:25 pm 

A bit self-serving of Warren alright. But massively insulting. He's definitely padded the squad with a few of his Welsh pals at the expense of Scottish and even English players.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 12:26 pm 

Isn't Seymour Irish?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 12:26 pm 

Boxcar Ira wrote:
A bit self-serving of Warren alright. But massively insulting. He's definitely padded the squad with a few of his Welsh pals at the expense of Scottish and even English players.

Which Welsh over Scottish would you have selected? If you say Russell over Biggar you need to stop drinking.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 12:31 pm 

Kid A wrote:
Boxcar Ira wrote:

Which Welsh over Scottish would you have selected? If you say Russell over Biggar you need to stop drinking.

Russell and Ford are both better. Any of the Jock centres over Davies. Numerous backrows over Moriarty.

I like Moriarty but there are better players.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 12:32 pm 

Crash_12 wrote:
Blimey.

And 1 of them came through the Ulster system. :smug:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 12:33 pm 

Willie Falloon wrote:
Crash_12 wrote:
Blimey.

Then he came here and got trained properly :smug: :P

Boxcar Ira wrote:
Kid A wrote:
Boxcar Ira wrote:

Russell and Ford are both better. Any of the Jock centres over Davies. Numerous backrows over Moriarty.

I think only Moriarty I agree with. He hasn't proved himself at test level to merit inclusion.

Davies is a 50/50 call, I imagine big game experience has just tipped him over the line, but he has not had a good season so I can see your point. If it's a crucial 3rd test, would you want a Lions series winning centre there or a Scottish one? Gats chose the former.

Boxcar Ira wrote:
Kid A wrote:
Boxcar Ira wrote:

He said he wanted tough competitors, Ford doesn't have the stones. Russell is a good player but Biggar is a big game player.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 12:35 pm 

hp18 wrote:
Willie Falloon wrote:
Crash_12 wrote:
Blimey.

Then he came here and got trained properly :smug: :P

He was always tale to, Gilroy was rightly ahead of him at Ulster with Trimble/Bowe. No doubt he got better coaching though :frown:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 12:39 pm 

Da iawn diolch wrote:

To be fair, I'm not seeing any standout Welsh back that should be in the squad, and yet there are 6 there. 8 tries in 5 games in the 6 nations

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 12:43 pm 

Owens, Moriarty, Bigger, Davies, Faletau and Halfpenny are very lucky. Had it been a non Welsh head coach they would not have travelled. Simple as that.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 12:45 pm 

Kid A wrote:
Boxcar Ira wrote:
Kid A wrote:
Boxcar Ira wrote:

I think only Moriarty I agree with. He hasn't proved himself at test level to merit inclusion.

Davies is a 50/50 call, I imagine big game experience has just tipped him over the line, but he has not had a good season so I can see your point. If it's a crucial 3rd test, would you want a Lions series winning centre there or a Scottish one? Gats chose the former.

He is a shadow of that player.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 12:46 pm 

We always assumed that any 50/50 calls would go against Scottish players. This selection shows even 60/40s went against the Scots.

As of today, next year's 6N game at the Not A Country Stadium is the new Grudge. I hope we stuff 'em.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 12:46 pm 

Brewster wrote:
Da iawn diolch wrote:

To be fair, I'm not seeing any standout Welsh back that should be in the squad, and yet there are 6 there. 8 tries in 5 games in the 6 nations

Yeah but that was when Rob Howley was coaching them.

Oh.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 12:48 pm 

theo wrote:
Owens, Moriarty, Bigger, Davies, Faletau and Halfpenny are very lucky. Had it been a non Welsh head coach they would not have travelled. Simple as that.

Faletau on past performance, although looking decent in recent Bath games cf. Kruis 1 game back

Halfpenny through lack of good FB options

But the others!

Even AWJ was hardly stellar in the 6N

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 12:56 pm 

Brewster wrote:
Da iawn diolch wrote:

I agree, but that's a separate point.
Had JD2, Halfers, Moriarty and Toby not made the cut (irrespective of who got in ahead), I wouldn't have been squealing like a stuck pig. They were marginal selections, and got the nod because they can play to the coach's strengths.

Scotland have been OK in the past year or so, and have had a couple of players performing at a good standard without being truly world-class. Not one player, aside from Hogg, has a call to be in the top 5 in their position in the world. Some players could be disappointed at their late-season form letting them down (J Gray), and some are so inconsistent (Russell) that you can't coach them into a different gameplan

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 1:02 pm 

BlackMac wrote:
Kid A wrote:
Boxcar Ira wrote:
Kid A wrote:
Boxcar Ira wrote:

He is a shadow of that player.

Big game experience :lol: showed with that clearing kick against England.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 1:05 pm 

Da iawn diolch wrote:
Brewster wrote:
Da iawn diolch wrote:

Had JD2, Halfers, Moriarty and Toby not made the cut (irrespective of who got in ahead), I wouldn't have been squealing like a stuck pig. They were marginal selections, and got the nod because they can play to the coach's strengths.

Scotland have been OK in the past year or so, and have had a couple of players performing at a good standard without being truly world-class. Not one player, aside from Hogg, has a call to be in the top 5 in their position in the world. Some players could be disappointed at their late-season form letting them down (J Gray), and some are so inconsistent (Russell) that you can't coach them into a different gameplan

Which Welsh players are in the top 5 in their position in the world?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 1:13 pm 

theo wrote:

Agree on Moriarty, Davies and possibly Toby and Halfers might be considered lucky. However, Toby has been tearing up trees in a rubbish Bath team and Halfers has been consistently good for Toulon.
Owens was arguably the best hooker in the 6N and Biggar is a test-winning Lion. Hard to look past either of those in favour of Scots who haven't consistently outplayed their opposite man.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 1:15 pm 

Denirostaxidriver wrote:
Da iawn diolch wrote:
Brewster wrote:
Da iawn diolch wrote:

Which Welsh players are in the top 5 in their position in the world?

None of the ones I've listed in current form. Toby is knocking on the door at his best.
The point is that I wouldn't have been super upset if they hadn't been picked.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 1:15 pm 

Don't get me wrong, I'll be rooting heavily for the useless cnut.

But 4 four year old form is a terrible reason for selection. He's getting a nice handshake from Warren.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 1:17 pm 

Da iawn diolch wrote:
theo wrote:

Agree on Moriarty, Davies and possibly Toby and Halfers might be considered lucky. However, Toby has been tearing up trees in a rubbish Bath team and Halfers has been consistently good for Toulon.
Owens was arguably the best hooker in the 6N and Biggar is a test-winning Lion. Hard to look past either of those in favour of Scots who haven't consistently outplayed their opposite man.

Toby has had two good games for bath all season. When he was available before he was dire. He's gone on last seasons form and reputation.

Halfpenny has been dire at Toulon.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 1:19 pm 

My re-build of Hadrian's Wall is going well. Two have slipped through but we shall soon put a stop to that.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 1:19 pm 

Da iawn diolch wrote:
theo wrote:

Since when was Biggar a test winning Lion?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 1:20 pm 

JM2K6 wrote:
Da iawn diolch wrote:
theo wrote:

Toby has had two good games for bath all season. When he was available before he was dire. He's gone on last seasons form and reputation.

Yup, that's my take on it too. I am just surprised DAC was allowed yet another multi

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 1:27 pm 

Da iawn diolch wrote:
theo wrote:

Faletau tearing up trees for Bath? Must have missed that...

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 1:29 pm 

sewa wrote:
JM2K6 wrote:
Da iawn diolch wrote:
theo wrote:

Yup, that's my take on it too. I am just surprised DAC was allowed yet another multi

Oh... The "I don't agree with you, so you're probably a retard's multi" argument. How drôle.
Check my join date - any multi would certainly be playing the 'long game'...

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 1:30 pm 

Petej wrote:

Big game experience :lol: showed with that clearing kick against England.

And how did the Scottish centres get on against England?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 1:32 pm 

BetterByBoat wrote:
Da iawn diolch wrote:
theo wrote:

Since when was Biggar a test winning Lion?

Sorry. You're completely correct - I was completely wrong.
God knows how I managed to forget his 'snub' last time, particularly given that Gats took all his favourites...

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 442 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12  Next