Chat Forum
It is currently Tue Apr 25, 2017 7:22 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1287 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22 ... 33  Next

Which way will you vote?
Conservative 31%  31%  [ 38 ]
Labour 5%  5%  [ 6 ]
Liberal Democrats 27%  27%  [ 33 ]
UKIP 4%  4%  [ 5 ]
Scottish National Party 3%  3%  [ 4 ]
Greens 2%  2%  [ 3 ]
Democratic Unionist Party 1%  1%  [ 1 ]
Plaid Cymru 5%  5%  [ 6 ]
Sinn Fein 12%  12%  [ 15 ]
Gavin Henson/Other 10%  10%  [ 13 ]
Total votes : 124
PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:20 pm 

Can ee clear up soft/hard brexit, to leave the European Union we have to leave the single market, the customs union and ECJ rulings and free movement. I'm not sure which bit of leaving the union people thought brexit was.

Hard brexit would I spose be WTO rules and a pact with Russia .

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:21 pm 

International [bribe] Aid budget

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:21 pm 

Chuckles1188 wrote:
TranceNRG wrote:
theo wrote:
I still have no idea who will be the Conservative candidate for Richmond Park assuming Zac G won't come back into the fold.

Though I have no doubt LD will win the seat.

I think the results will be closer this time around and Conservatives could potentially win it back if they have a good candidate. Remember Zac was a strong leaver and running as an independent he still managed to get about 18.5K votes compared to Sarah Olney. I don't think Brexit will be an as big an issue as it was last year plus Olney doesn't' seem very bright either.

https://blogs.spectator.co.uk/2016/12/l ... election/#

Zac was only running as an independent nominally, and he was the incumbent. I would chalk this post up to wishful thinking

While Zac was obviously nominally independent, he couldn't access the Tory voter database. This is supposedly a factor that can be a major boost to a campaign.

That said, Richmond Park strikes me as one of those seats that the Lib Dems will be able to cling to for dear life for a couple of parliaments now.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:23 pm 

bimboman wrote:

and Trump + Le Pen, revive that lovely WW2 alliance of ours

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:27 pm 

openclashXX wrote:
bimboman wrote:

and bubblefart + Le Pen, revive that lovely WW2 alliance of ours

#glorydays

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:28 pm 

openclashXX wrote:
again, highly unscientific, but on my Facebook feed over the past few days I've seen a fair few (until now relatively quiet) Labour supporters reappear posting exactly that sort of anti-Tory stuff that MW highlighted

for instance I've seen this re-shared a fair bit:

You feel labour came up with the meme before the policy. Why on earth the tax payer should buy my children food is quite beyond me btw.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:30 pm 

Hawk97 wrote:
Corbyn has started pretty well. Really hammering the zero-hour contract stuff and unfair employment. Hit people where they feel it the most - their wallets.

Oh dear lord,

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:42 pm 

openclashXX wrote:
Chuckles1188 wrote:
Hard to take that chart seriously when it predicts that an 83 seat loss for Labour would leave them on 149 seats

am I missing something or is 149 + 83 = 232?

It is, but Labour don't have 232 seats

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:46 pm 

Chuckles1188 wrote:
openclashXX wrote:
Chuckles1188 wrote:
Hard to take that chart seriously when it predicts that an 83 seat loss for Labour would leave them on 149 seats

Is the 232 notional from the last election, taking out a deputy speaker, Kauffman and Copeland?

*disclaimer, I don't really know

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:46 pm 

Chuckles1188 wrote:
openclashXX wrote:
Chuckles1188 wrote:

they won 232 in 2015 :? which is exactly what that table said

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:51 pm 

Saint wrote:
Any and all of them are potentially moveable (with the possible exception of the ECJ - unless you are inside the EU then there is no reason for you to either want or need to be bound by ECJ rulings). That's the whole point of negotiation - you want to present the all as completely immovable in order to extract the maximum possible benefit from the other side.

I suspect that free movement of people is very much moveable, under a free movement of labour guise, likely in return for some sort of free trade agreement; whether customs union, zero tariff single market access or something. At a guess there will be some sort of fee/contribution paid to the EU, that will be lower than we have at the moment, but greater than a big fat zero.

The trouble is that absolutely none of these are achievable right now - they are anathema to the hard Brexiteers in her own party, and aren't even close to the cuckoo-land requirements that the opposition parties have laid down as pre-requisites for them to support the final agreement.

Now then the question comes down to exactly what will be negotiated and what will the final deal look like. That's the big unknowable at the moment, unless you're on the inside of the negotiating team. A basic tenet of negotiation is that you never let the other side know what you would be happy to accept as your final position, because all they will do is take you right to that point and then try to extract their pound of flesh beyond that. This is one of many reasons why all the noise about debating every position in the HoC has been completely pointless - in order to extract the best possible result, the last thing you want to do is debate your negotiating position publically.

Okay now I see why we're confusing each other as you are talking about a softer brexit with regards to a future trade deal after we leave. Whereas I'm reading into the narrative from some quarters that May could perhaps do an about face on single market membership, customs union, ECJ etc Which I don't think is remotely conceivable.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:51 pm 

croyals wrote:
Chuckles1188 wrote:
TranceNRG wrote:
theo wrote:
I still have no idea who will be the Conservative candidate for Richmond Park assuming Zac G won't come back into the fold.

Though I have no doubt LD will win the seat.

I think the results will be closer this time around and Conservatives could potentially win it back if they have a good candidate. Remember Zac was a strong leaver and running as an independent he still managed to get about 18.5K votes compared to Sarah Olney. I don't think Brexit will be an as big an issue as it was last year plus Olney doesn't' seem very bright either.

https://blogs.spectator.co.uk/2016/12/l ... election/#

Zac was only running as an independent nominally, and he was the incumbent. I would chalk this post up to wishful thinking

While Zac was obviously nominally independent, he couldn't access the Tory voter database. This is supposedly a factor that can be a major boost to a campaign.

That said, Richmond Park strikes me as one of those seats that the Lib Dems will be able to cling to for dear life for a couple of parliaments now.

The one factor that will only become apparent after voting is closed is the desire of voters to turn out to cast a vote. If LD voters are leavers and pissed off with the majority of the media totally disregarding both their views and their right to hold a contrary view, they might have a 10-15% advantage in turn out, which could make all the difference. Other factors that might also contribute to this include being pissed off with yet another election and a view that there is no point voting because Conservatives will have a landslide.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:52 pm 

openclashXX wrote:
Chuckles1188 wrote:
openclashXX wrote:
Chuckles1188 wrote:

they won 232 in 2015 :? which is exactly what that table said

Yes, but the table then predicts the number of seats Labour will be left with assuming that the 2015 figure is their starting point, which it isn't, which was my point all along

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:52 pm 

tiddle wrote:
Chuckles1188 wrote:
Mullet 2 wrote:

what else would it leave them on?

They have 229 seats. They haven't factored in the post Brexit by-elections in their calculations, like Chuckles does.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:53 pm 

Silly me for thinking that an attempt to predict how many seats a party will end up with ought to factor in how many seats they already have

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:54 pm 

eldanielfire wrote:
tiddle wrote:
Chuckles1188 wrote:
Mullet 2 wrote:

what else would it leave them on?

They have 229 seats. They haven't factored in the post Brexit by-elections in their calculations, like Chuckles does.

It's the predicted change between elections. Looks fine to me

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:56 pm 

tiddle wrote:

There's a column labeled "predicted seats" right there

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 5:00 pm 

bimboman wrote:
Can ee clear up soft/hard brexit, to leave the European Union we have to leave the single market, the customs union and ECJ rulings and free movement. I'm not sure which bit of leaving the union people thought brexit was.

There's the rub isn't it? The Brexit campaigners seemed to provide a number of different option as to what it meant, depending on who you listened to; even the Remain side weren't consistent when it came to trying to shoot them down.

If it was absolutely clear what Brexit meant to everybody then we wouldn't have the clusterfuck that we have today

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 5:02 pm 

Chuckles1188 wrote:
tiddle wrote:

It gives three columns of interest:

1 - What they won in 2015
2 - What the net change would be
3 - What that translates to in predicted seats

Now if they lost a seat between then and now, then that's part of the net change. Your point is only valid if they have a column for "Seats right now"

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 5:07 pm 

Saint wrote:
Chuckles1188 wrote:
tiddle wrote:

It gives three columns of interest:

1 - What they won in 2015
2 - What the net change would be
3 - What that translates to in predicted seats

Now if they lost a seat between then and now, then that's part of the net change. Your point is only valid if they have a column for "Seats right now"

If they had a column for seats right now then my point would explicitly not be valid. They have a column labelled "pred seats". Is it genuinely more likely that they meant by that "what that translates to in predicted seats" than "our prediction of what the final number of seats will be"? I think not

In any event a calculation based on a poll conducted before any meaningful campaigning has taken place is of nominal value at best. Even when the people who create it can be bothered to check what the actual number of seats each party has is

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 5:09 pm 

Chuckles1188 wrote:
tiddle wrote:

Ah, I get what you mean

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 5:24 pm 

All this debate to determine the exact way we say Labour are f**k.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 5:25 pm 

Gospel wrote:
Saint wrote:
Any and all of them are potentially moveable (with the possible exception of the ECJ - unless you are inside the EU then there is no reason for you to either want or need to be bound by ECJ rulings). That's the whole point of negotiation - you want to present the all as completely immovable in order to extract the maximum possible benefit from the other side.

I suspect that free movement of people is very much moveable, under a free movement of labour guise, likely in return for some sort of free trade agreement; whether customs union, zero tariff single market access or something. At a guess there will be some sort of fee/contribution paid to the EU, that will be lower than we have at the moment, but greater than a big fat zero.

The trouble is that absolutely none of these are achievable right now - they are anathema to the hard Brexiteers in her own party, and aren't even close to the cuckoo-land requirements that the opposition parties have laid down as pre-requisites for them to support the final agreement.

Now then the question comes down to exactly what will be negotiated and what will the final deal look like. That's the big unknowable at the moment, unless you're on the inside of the negotiating team. A basic tenet of negotiation is that you never let the other side know what you would be happy to accept as your final position, because all they will do is take you right to that point and then try to extract their pound of flesh beyond that. This is one of many reasons why all the noise about debating every position in the HoC has been completely pointless - in order to extract the best possible result, the last thing you want to do is debate your negotiating position publically.

Okay now I see why we're confusing each other as you are talking about a softer brexit with regards to a future trade deal after we leave. Whereas I'm reading into the narrative from some quarters that May could perhaps do an about face on single market membership, customs union, ECJ etc Which I don't think is remotely conceivable.

I don't think a complete about face is possible because then it really isn't Brexit

I do think that some version of something that might look a lot like the single market or the customs union (but very blatantly with names that aren't the same as those) is on the table - in return for some sort of freedom of labour (which probably won't have "freedom of" in the name) and a cash fee. And we will have Brexit, but with preferential access in return for the softening of our red line positions currently.

What is certain is that there is no way that settlement could get through parliament as it's comprised currently and with the positions laid out by the opposition parties, who appear to be demanding complete single market access, ECJ, and every other benefit of the EU as the bare minimum before they will even start to consider voting in favour of this. The lunatic fringe of the parliamentary conservative party currently have the whip hand because the opposition have essentially handed it to them; so I find it incredibly ironic that they then cry foul when May calls an election to try and remove that power from them to enable some serious discussion to take place.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 5:33 pm 

Just watching a clip of Tim Farron on the campaign trail. He really does come across as an angry little man who knows that no-one is listening to him

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 5:36 pm 

Saint wrote:
Just watching a clip of Tim Farron on the campaign trail. He really does come across as an angry little man who knows that no-one is listening to him

It's hard to dress reality up all that much, as a general rule

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 5:40 pm 

Incidentally, has anyone been following DogFuckingGate?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 5:41 pm 

openclashXX wrote:
Flyin Ryan wrote:
openclashXX wrote:
sturginho wrote:
eldanielfire wrote:
May is keeping the 0.7% international aid pledge.

The Mail must be fuming?

tbf I'm not a fan of the Mail but I genuinely can't understand what this foreign aid budget is for. it's roughly £12bn on foreign aid when the NHS is posting deficits of £2-3bn a year

So the UK can keep its UN Security Council seat by painting itself as a more important player on the world scene?

what's Russia's foreign aid budget? :lol:

Russia like the U.S. and China are clearly important world states to global security. You're going to have a tougher argument for modern-day Britain and France.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 5:43 pm 

Saint wrote:
bimboman wrote:

There's the rub isn't it? The Brexit campaigners seemed to provide a number of different option as to what it meant, depending on who you listened to; even the Remain side weren't consistent when it came to trying to shoot them down.

If it was absolutely clear what Brexit meant to everybody then we wouldn't have the clusterfuck that we have today

The message about leaving the single market, customs union were clearly made by remainers time and time over. The fact that people might regret decisions or want to rerun the campaign is not the fault of the campaigns. You could easily argue this is why the decision was too complex for a referendum but if you get over that I am still at a loss to think what leaving actually meant , it meant leaving.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 5:44 pm 

Chuckles1188 wrote:
Saint wrote:

What's the reality ? That no one is listening ?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 5:45 pm 

So if leaving means leaving could we not reasonably say that the expectation should be that Britain unmoors itself from the Atlantic coast and buggers off to Tahiti?

bimboman wrote:
Saint wrote:
bimboman wrote:

The message about leaving the single market, customs union were clearly made by remainers time and time over. The fact that people might regret decisions or want to rerun the campaign is not the fault of the campaigns. You could easily argue this is why the decision was too complex for a referendum but if you get over that I am still at a loss to think what leaving actually meant , it meant leaving.

I would agree, if you add the word "some" in front of remainers. Even then it comes down to exactly who do you choose to believe........

bimboman wrote:
Chuckles1188 wrote:
Saint wrote:

What's the reality ? That no one is listening ?

You got the joke, well done!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 5:47 pm 

The original dividing line between hard and soft brexit was WTO v Swiss/norwegian model (EEA/EFTA)
They are still different.
As May wants a bespoke it is technically neither, but is still tending towards Swiss/Norwegian.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 5:48 pm 

Someone on Twitter just now:

Quote:
Today in my notifications: one Leaver and one Remainer, each not voting Labour because of its position on Brexit.

Jeremy Corbyn really is gifted. I think I might confer upon him my much-coveted "Midas of Shite" award

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 5:50 pm 

Saint wrote:
bimboman wrote:
Saint wrote:
bimboman wrote:

I would agree, if you add the word "some" in front of remainers. Even then it comes down to exactly who do you choose to believe........

Well that was the mild starting point on much of remain, it went in to Osborne Amageddon. I was and voted remain regarding the customs union (much more than the single market), but it really is done now.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:03 pm 

Leinster in London wrote:
The original dividing line between hard and soft brexit was WTO v Swiss/norwegian model (EEA/EFTA)
As May wants a bespoke it is technically neither, but is still tending towards Swiss/Norwegian.

Reluctant remainer position would be Swiss model really.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:32 pm 

Chuckles1188 wrote:

Quote:
Today in my notifications: one Leaver and one Remainer, each not voting Labour because of its position on Brexit.

Jeremy Corbyn really is gifted. I think I might confer upon him my much-coveted "Midas of Shite" award

I think that has more to do with the British voting public being pants-on-head retarded.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:33 pm 

Chuckles1188 wrote:

Quote:

By going for 100% they end up with 0%. Will be interesting to see where Labour's floor is, looks like the metropolitan Corbynistas could be on the Tim Farron magical mystery tour.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:36 pm 

croyals wrote:
Chuckles1188 wrote:

Quote:

By going for 100% they end up with 0%. Will be interesting to see where Labour's floor is, looks like the metropolitan Corbynistas could be on the Tim Farron magical mystery tour.

Problem is the leadership isn't remain and the party aren't anywhere near brexit. Who'd have thought Europe would split Labour more than the Tories.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:37 pm 

bimboman wrote:
Leinster in London wrote:

Reluctant remainer position would be Swiss model really.

I must have missed that option on the ballot paper

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1287 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22 ... 33  Next