Chat Forum
It is currently Sat Apr 29, 2017 12:19 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 6:36 pm 

True Blue wrote:
I still maintain my belief that Globus is actually an AI. Perhaps some experiment by Google or Microsoft.

:lol:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 8:13 pm 

I thought Customer Service jobs were mostly Northerners who otherwise would be down the mines?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 8:14 pm 

Man In Black wrote:
I thought Customer Service jobs were mostly Northerners who otherwise would be down the mines?

What mines?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 8:37 pm 

True Blue. Many have experienced the same. London is the worst. Actually no, Paris is worse. Where often you are made to feel apologetic for wanting to pay for their services. I'm conditioned to it now. But I will say you've got to get out of the cities and in to the rural areas before you judge the whole of England.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 8:59 pm 

Yourmother wrote:
True Blue. Many have experienced the same. London is the worst. Actually no, Paris is worse. Where often you are made to feel apologetic for wanting to pay for their services. I'm conditioned to it now. But I will say you've got to get out of the cities and in to the rural areas before you judge the whole of England.

Yeah. Heading norf is a real treat.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 9:01 pm 

True Blue wrote:
I have much love for this country, I truly do. But what's with the customer service of companies here? It's diabolically bad. From utility companies, to banks, to restaurants in general....what the hell.

- Have asked my ISP to upgrade my plan literally six times now. Three times by phone, three times by email. Still not done over a month later.
- Local banks double book appointments, forget they booked appointments, or generally are just flat out rude or non-interested.
- Water company was supposed to come install a water metre, never turned up.
- Power/Gas company was supposed to come install smart metres, never turned up. Sent a letter in the post to say they would rebook. In...the...post?!!
- Went to Job Centre to get the NI Number thingie. Was told to take a seat. Then told there's no record of the appointment despite having the letter confirming it on me. They refused to accept it and asked me to leave like I just farted in their face. Kicked up a stink, got the manager to do the interview instead. Was told the next time they wouldn't be so lenient. What the...

I have thought about this, and can only come to one conclusion. England is racist against kiwis. I feel marginalized.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 9:43 pm 

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 10:07 pm 

Globus mode on

I have several professional (as in letters after your name fully accredited degree level) qualifications in Customer service, the last of which was obtained only a few weeks ago.

The uk generally has poor customer service , but many countries have worse.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 10:21 pm 

I work in Customer service.

My NPS for last year was 65%

Last Month it was 83% (68 surveys)

as anyone in the industry will tell you that's fucking phenomenal.|

So while the rest of the country sucks, I don't.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 10:39 pm 

Did you move to the England/UK? Thought you lived in New Zealand. Does any Kiwi on the bored actually live in their homeland any more?

Sounds like brutal customer service. I've felt the force of the UK customer service from Ireland. Have the mispleasure of having to deal with my corporate/work credit cards customer service that's based over there. Absolutely diabolical is all I can say. I've spent 3 months and about 15 international phone calls trying to get them to refund my bank a/c an over withdrawal in their part. Most of the people I've dealt with are imbeciles. Got resolved this week.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 10:48 pm 

backrow wrote:
Globus mode on

I have several professional (as in letters after your name fully accredited degree level) qualifications in Customer service, the last of which was obtained only a few weeks ago.

The uk generally has poor customer service , but many countries have worse.

That is piss poor Globusing.

Globus designed the courses and knows the vice chancellor of the establishment which gave you your latest degree very well - they met when Globus was installing a lift in the Physics building and Globus recently put up some new shelves for him with a drill that he may, or may not have owned.

Naturally the aforementioned VC was very impressed and forgot all about the incident with the the Russian spy and the jellyfish.

The management was less impressed until Globus showed her the new Rolex he had bought for her (not that he likes to brag you understand).

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 11:29 pm 

You get the service people think you deserve. If you carry yourself with authority and gravitas, people generally can't do enough for you.

Perhaps the customer service people you've encountered see a Kiwi backpacker type, and think they can get away with poor service. Try dressing a bit more smartly and using a more dominant posture, and see if it makes a difference.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 11:33 pm 

It's a tough job that many starting out after college do for a while until they get a break into their proper profession.

I did it for a year just after I left Uni in 2004 . I only have respect for those agents who keep their patience with 80 + customers a day many of whom are irate.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 12:44 am 

I found UK customer service to be a special kind of shit. It takes real incompetence to stand out as exceptionally crap in such a steaming pile, but a genuine nod must go to HSBC who somehow managed it. :thumbup: :uhoh:

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 5:52 am 

MrDominator wrote:
Try dressing a bit more smartly and using a more dominant posture, and see if it makes a difference.

Dear god. Try inventing a different personna and see if it makes a difference. Because the current one is as flat as a shitcarter's hat.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 6:21 am 

MungoMan wrote:
MrDominator wrote:
Try dressing a bit more smartly and using a more dominant posture, and see if it makes a difference.

Dear god. Try inventing a different personna and see if it makes a difference. Because the current one is as flat as a shitcarter's hat.

:lol:

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 10:35 am 

A5D5E5 wrote:
Sandstorm wrote:
A5D5E5 wrote:
True Blue wrote:
I have much love for this country, I truly do. But what's with the customer service of companies here? It's diabolically bad. From utility companies, to banks, to restaurants in general....what the hell.

- Have asked my ISP to upgrade my plan literally six times now. Three times by phone, three times by email. Still not done over a month later.
- Local banks double book appointments, forget they booked appointments, or generally are just flat out rude or non-interested.
- Power/Gas company was supposed to come install smart metres, never turned up. Sent a letter in the post to say they would rebook. In...the...post?!!
- Went to Job Centre to get the NI Number thingie. Was told to take a seat. Then told there's no record of the appointment despite having the letter confirming it on me. They refused to accept it and asked me to leave like I just farted in their face. Kicked up a stink, got the manager to do the interview instead. Was told the next time they wouldn't be so lenient. What the...

I have thought about this, and can only come to one conclusion. England is racist against kiwis. I feel marginalized.

Fundamentally it is because people are a bit crap. The few who are not are generally not the ones who you are dealing with to arrange the various things you mention above.

When people show aptitude for these sorts of tasks they are promoted into roles where they are no longer doing them. If they continue to show aptitude this process continues until they are promoted to a level where they no longer are able to carry out the tasks they are now responsible for.

It also comes down to systems and training. I don't think Utilities have great versions of the former or give a shit about the latter.

Even the best systems and training can only mitigate so much. It actually requires the person to care about their role. Far too few of the people doing this sort of customer relations type role appear to give a toss. Even when they do they frequently don't have the competence to back it up. In these sorts of roles, competent people who care are so rare as to stand out.

(I actually had this with Sky recently. After several frustrating calls that got nowhere, I finally got put through to somebody who was competent and cared. Over half a dozen calls stretching over 6 weeks they did everything they said they would, called me back when the promised to and gradually helped me solve my problem. I sent an email to his boss to make sure his efforts were noted).

A classic example of over efficiency,which shows up everyone else. You probably got him the sack.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 12:04 pm 

[quote="True Blue"
[/quote]

[pedant]

There lies the problem, they don't know how to measure 39inches of water, electricity or gas.

[/pedant]

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 12:46 pm 

Insane_Homer wrote:
So it was a bit sunny yesterday, 45 mins to get drinks @ the Pub :thumbdown:

Having grown up in Zimbabwe where you have waiters coming around and asking what you would like to drink, and then bringing it to you, the fact that people are even willing to goto the bar to order suprises me, let alone join a scrum of patrons for half an hour all desperatley trying to catch the eye of bar staff, in order to pay five pounds for something you can get in the supermarket for 50p.

f**k pubs.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 12:49 pm 

Uthikoloshe wrote:
Insane_Homer wrote:

Having grown up in Zimbabwe where you have waiters coming around and asking what you would like to drink, and then bringing it to you, the fact that people are even willing to goto the bar to order suprises me, let alone join a scrum of patrons for half an hour all desperatley trying to catch the eye of bar staff, in order to pay five pounds for something you can get in the supermarket for 50p.

f**k pubs.

Well aren't you a little ray of sunshine

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 12:52 pm 

If you mean I am enlightened, I agree.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 5:41 pm 

I always ask to speak to someone who can solve my problem, either a supervisor or the boss. That seems to be much more effective. The minions who answer the phones have no authority to make decisions, or the initiative to make a decision, or do anything effective. Half of them are in a call centre in Mumbai....

This applies in any country, not just the UK.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 6:23 pm 

happyhooker wrote:
Uthikoloshe wrote:
Insane_Homer wrote:

f**k pubs.

He's not wrong though

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 6:24 pm 

c69 wrote:
happyhooker wrote:
Uthikoloshe wrote:
Insane_Homer wrote:

f**k pubs.

He's not wrong though

Or going to the wrong pubs

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 6:29 pm 

obelixtim wrote:
I always ask to speak to someone who can solve my problem, either a supervisor or the boss. That seems to be much more effective. The minions who answer the phones have no authority to make decisions, or the initiative to make a decision, or do anything effective. Half of them are in a call centre in Mumbai....

This applies in any country, not just the UK.

Wouldn't most of those people have a degree ?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 6:56 pm 

globus wrote:

For example, my DeWalt has died and I'm buying a Festool.

I was thinking you were a Hilti fellow.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 8:43 pm 

happyhooker wrote:
c69 wrote:
happyhooker wrote:
Uthikoloshe wrote:
Insane_Homer wrote:

f**k pubs.

He's not wrong though

Or going to the wrong pubs

It's all about the braii.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:30 am 

Today was a good day. I finally managed to get my internet upgraded after two months. Granted it's the wrong service and the bill is incorrect, but at least it's in motion. A few more months and I'll be ready to rock (just before the rental lease expires...which incidentally expires on the 31st of September)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:34 am 

AND-y wrote:
British customer service jobs (this includes low level civil servants unfortunately these days) are given en masse to pretty much everyone who applies and then put the employee into very stressful roles with terrible shift patterns. No wonder it's a bit shit.

Very stressful? :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:37 am 

True Blue wrote:
Today was a good day. I finally managed to get my internet upgraded after two months. Granted it's the wrong service and the bill is incorrect, but at least it's in motion. A few more months and I'll be ready to rock (just before the rental lease expires...which incidentally expires on the 31st of September)

You poor bastard. I'd hate to move here and experience the customer service.

"Hi, I'd like x service please."
"Sure, we just need a few months utility bills."
"I don't have any bills yet, that's why I'm ringing you to set x up."
"We're gonna need some utility bills, I'm afraid. At a push we'll accept bank account details and a standing order"
"I can't get an account without a few months rental receipts/bills. I can't rent a place without an account. Why don't you have id cards for this sort of thing like a normal country?"
"Gonna need to see those bills, mate."

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:52 am 

I'm actually with you, TB. British service is a fücking disgrace. BT have switched my payments to an entirely different bill than the one I set up (without me saying so), so when I ring them, I get put through to Delhi and have a 40 minute back-and-forth. Amazing. This comes two weeks after they sent out an engineer because my BT Hub broke (through no fault of my own) and they charged ME for it.... :lol:

Rented a car from Enterprise last month, which came with a dry windscreen washer reservoir, and proceeded to break down three times on a long distance drive. Actually got a full refund for that, though.

Still waiting on an Amazon package that was apparently dispatched over a week ago. I'm fecking done with this!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:48 am 

My Festool has been delayed by another week.

A man has to have a drill otherwise he is impotent.

I have bird boxes to fix and pictures.

You cannot believe the agony.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:51 am 

globus wrote:

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:53 am 

happyhooker wrote:
globus wrote:

My first ban was for the power tools pron link

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:55 am 

True Blue wrote:

Customer Service in the UK is generally terrible, as is service in restaurants and bars etc.

They should all be made to go to the States and see how it is done.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:54 pm 

The Ginger Jedi wrote:
True Blue wrote:

Customer Service in the UK is generally terrible, as is service in restaurants and bars etc.

They should all be made to go to the States and see how it is done.

Or Canada. The tipping that everyone complains about, really does work well. Considering a pint is only CAD $6 or $7 compared to the AUD $8 or $9 here you quickly come to the realisation it's a wash anyway. Just with table service instead of the crouch, touch and set at the bar.