Chat Forum
It is currently Thu May 25, 2017 11:41 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 40137 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 885, 886, 887, 888, 889, 890, 891 ... 1004  Next

Whether you can or can't actually vote IRL, In, or Out
In 62%  62%  [ 227 ]
Out 38%  38%  [ 137 ]
Total votes : 364
PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:05 pm 

Petej wrote:
bimboman wrote:
Petej wrote:
Disappointed she won't be doing TV debates but not surprised. Why bother going under such scrutiny when you are a lickspittle for Rupert and Lord rothermere. A few more tete-a-tetes with dacre and letting Ruperts deal for sky go through and she will get all the positive press coverage she requires.

Well countered by the communist television news in the UK, so dame right she's avoiding them.

The BBC is irritating unfortunately what makes it so good at science and nature programs might make it less good at news reporting to some.

My real enjoyment is channel 4 news with Jon Snow, makes the Gaurdian seem about as right as the mail.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:41 pm 

There is no hard and soft brexit. Can someone explain what a soft brexit is? It's a term bandied about only in the UK. There is no such thing

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:47 pm 

Rocketz wrote:
There is no hard and soft brexit. Can someone explain what a soft brexit is? It's a term bandied about only in the UK. There is no such thing

I assume it means remaining in the common market. It is doing a Norway.

I reckon she wants to do a Norway, which is why she has called for a snap election.

Disclaimer: I have just parachuted into this thread just now and don't really know what her positions are on the common market.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:57 pm 

Auckman wrote:
Rocketz wrote:

I reckon she wants to do a Norway, which is why she has called for a snap election.

Disclaimer: I have just parachuted into this thread just now and don't really know what her positions are on the common market.

She has already set out that she won't be doing a Norway with her intention to withdraw from the single market and customs union. As per her speech prior to activation of Article 50, the UK will be pursuing a Canada-style free trade deal. However, a transitional deal may be couched in Norway-style agreement, speculative at this point.

I don't think that's why she called the election however, I take her at her word in that a stronger mandate means power over the obstructionists who would vote down any deal reached with the EU.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 9:10 pm 

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/04/18/french-intelligence-foils-imminent-terror-attack-five-days-presidential/

Forget the rest of the sh** on this thread, it's stuff like this that matters. Britain and France working together to save lives.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 9:13 pm 

Rocketz wrote:

Soft Brexit is anything that doesn't involve the UK crashing out of the EU with no treaty or agreement whatsoever.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 9:22 pm 

Rocketz wrote:

The soft brexit is where they tell you that you don't have to pay the subs anymore or adhere to the rules, but you still have your parking space and you can use the club facilities as much as you want.

The hard brexit is where they march you off the premises under armed guard.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 9:29 pm 

Fairly sure Rocketz was deliberately just parroting the old pre-Art.50 Tusk/Juncker line of "hard brexit or no brexit" for effect. I'm guessing he wouldn't be too happy to see the UK reach a satisfactory deal with the EU. :)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 9:32 pm 

TranceNRG wrote:
eldanielfire wrote:
theo wrote:
mikerob wrote:
If the Tories win a comfortable majority, but a lot of the new intake of Tory MPs are of the swivel-eyed loon tendency, will that not still make life difficult for May?

OK, she may not be in danger of losing a majority but if what if there are continual calls of "harder, harder, harder..." from the backbenches when it comes to Brexit...?

I expect she will be putting forward soft brexit MP's to fight marginal seats.

She can't control what MPs are put forward. Only local party members can.

Besides I doubt May wants to stay in the Single Market. I don't think that means she wants a hard exit, but a trade agreement that keeps as much of the SM as can be taken. Mostly no charges on exports.

These 'Hard Brexit', 'Soft Brexit' are BS terms. She's already made clear that UK won't be staying in the single market or customs union and will negotiate a free trade deal.

I agree. May's position is to do a deal for access to replace the single market membership. She also wants to maintain a number of key agreements with Europe. That isn't a hard Brexit.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 9:40 pm 

Rugby2023 wrote:
Fairly sure Rocketz was deliberately just parroting the old pre-Art.50 Tusk/Juncker line of "hard brexit or no brexit" for effect. I'm guessing he wouldn't be too happy to see the UK reach a satisfactory deal with the EU. :)

Not really. I am just surprised that intelligent people are still using a debunked statement.

1. Negotiate brexit exit
2. Negotiate new trade agreement

It's not that difficult.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:42 pm 

Rugby2023 wrote:
Auckman wrote:
Rocketz wrote:

She has already set out that she won't be doing a Norway with her intention to withdraw from the single market and customs union. As per her speech prior to activation of Article 50, the UK will be pursuing a Canada-style free trade deal. However, a transitional deal may be couched in Norway-style agreement, speculative at this point.

That will take years to negotiate. However, that would be a better position for the UK if they are going to leave altogether.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:56 pm 

Auckman wrote:
Rugby2023 wrote:
Auckman wrote:
Rocketz wrote:

That will take years to negotiate. However, that would be a better position for the UK if they are going to leave altogether.

What is a "Canada style free trade deal"? It's utterly meaningless for the UK.

The markets think that May has called the election as she realises that she cannot deliver the Brexit she promised. With an increased majority, she can ignore the loony right within the Conservative party and agree a very soft, workable Brexit. She is a remainer.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 12:06 am 

But if the potential deal would upset the 'loony right' and be very soft then it would most likely be voted for by the europhiles from other parties...

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 12:54 am 

haunch wrote:
But if the potential deal would upset the 'loony right' and be very soft then it would most likely be voted for by the europhiles from other parties...

Maybe. Afterall, all Theresa May basically may wants is control of immigration and security and the ability to make trade deals elsewhere and the UK to control it's own laws on criminal justice. That has always been her political MO. I think she doesn't mind about the majority of sensible EU rules and doesn't care about the rest of the deal for the most part as long as it isn't damaging to the UK.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:07 am 

Rugby2023 wrote:
Auckman wrote:
Rocketz wrote:

I don't think that's why she called the election however, I take her at her word in that a stronger mandate means power over the obstructionists who would vote down any deal reached with the EU.

You make it sounds like she has not been flip flopping on quite a few of the statements she made.

Single market access would be the smart thing to obtain. I am expecting you to disagree with this of course.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:10 am 

We will have single market access.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:11 am 

Theresa May hands UK another opportunity to highlight how stupid it is

http://newsthump.com/2017/04/18/theresa ... pid-it-is/

Theresa May has announced plans for a snap general election that will provide the UK with yet another opportunity to highlight how stupid it is.

In an announcement outside 10 Downing Street, the Prime Minister said, “If there was ever any doubt that the UK electorate is predominantly made up of clueless idiots then this election will put those doubts to rest.”

With recent polls suggesting that voters are keen to sign up to more of being repeatedly kicked in the genitals, the Conservatives will be confident of a landslide victory.

Colossal bellend Simon Williams revealed that he was looking forward to exercising his right to be a complete f**k.

“If people don’t vote then they can’t complain about the monumentally moronic decision that they made,” he said.

“That’s why we have a democracy.”

Last edited by Rocketz on Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:15 am 

Rocketz wrote:
Rugby2023 wrote:

Not really. I am just surprised that intelligent people are still using a debunked statement.

1. Negotiate brexit exit

It's not that difficult.

It's the Brexit opponents in Westminster that continue to use those terms, that filters down to press and public. The UK Government prefers clean Brexit, with overtones of clean break. Incidentally, the UK intends upon (1) & (2) happening in parallel i.e. negotiate exit alongside new trade agreement. Once May disabuses the EU of the notion that she won't walk away towards WTO in 2 years time, she should get her way.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:23 am 

Rocketz wrote:

Theresa May has announced plans for a snap general election that will provide the UK with yet another opportunity to highlight how stupid it is.

In an announcement outside 10 Downing Street, the Prime Minister said, “If there was ever any doubt that the UK electorate is predominantly made up of clueless idiots then this election will put those doubts to rest.”

With recent polls suggesting that voters are keen to sign up to more of being repeatedly kicked in the genitals, the Conservatives will be confident of a landslide victory.

Colossal bellend Simon Williams revealed that he was looking forward to exercising his right to be a complete f**k.

“If people don’t vote then they can’t complain about the monumentally moronic decision that they made,” he said.

Why do you even bother posting that? If we can assume you believe it, as you posted it... then all you achieve is outing yourself as a confirmed moron. :thumbup:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:26 am 

Rugby2023 wrote:
Rocketz wrote:
Rugby2023 wrote:

1. Negotiate brexit exit

It's not that difficult.

It's the Brexit opponents in Westminster that continue to use those terms, that filters down to press and public. The UK Government prefers clean Brexit, with overtones of clean break. Incidentally, the UK intends upon (1) & (2) happening in parallel i.e. negotiate exit alongside new trade agreement. Once May disabuses the EU of the notion that she won't walk away towards WTO in 2 years time, she should get her way.

And this leads to the colossal misunderstanding of what brexit actuall entails.

What is the point of the snap election? To consolidate her power? Looking at the stats , as she has moved the Tories firmly into UKIP territory she should get some seats there. But how many Tories want to remain in the EU is a bigger question. It is obviously a significant amount as close to 50% of the voters supported staying in the EU. If the Tories campaign on strengthening their hand in Brexit its a massive gamble as I doubt that the gains they make in insignificant UKIP territory will compensate for the protest vote of Tories wanting to stay in the EU

The official Rocketz position. UK stay in the EU, its a good thing. Its got faults but it is a leap in the right direction. If you decide not stay, fine, but f*ck off with haste.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:27 am 

spookly wrote:
Rocketz wrote:

Why do you even bother posting that? If we can assume you believe it, as you posted it... then all you achieve is outing yourself as a confirmed moron. :thumbup:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:35 am 

Theresa May said the UKwere going to get a red, white and blue Brexit, I didn't realise she meant France

This is where London's bankers plan to move after Brexit https://bloom.bg/2pfpVbV

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:38 am 

Interesting

Here is the complete list of all organisations people the Barnier team met in preperation for BREXIT negotiations

http://ec.europa.eu/transparencyinitiat ... 679426-p=1

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:42 am 

Rocketz wrote:
Rugby2023 wrote:
Rocketz wrote:
Rugby2023 wrote:

1. Negotiate brexit exit

It's not that difficult.

What is the point of the snap election? To consolidate her power? Looking at the stats , as she has moved the Tories firmly into UKIP territory she should get some seats there. But how many Tories want to remain in the EU is a bigger question. It is obviously a significant amount as close to 50% of the voters supported staying in the EU. If the Tories campaign on strengthening their hand in Brexit its a massive gamble as I doubt that the gains they make in insignificant UKIP territory will compensate for the protest vote of Tories wanting to stay in the EU

The official Rocketz position. UK stay in the EU, its a good thing. Its got faults but it is a leap in the right direction. If you decide not stay, fine, but f*ck off with haste.

Not that it needed confirming but this paragraph highlights the extent of your insight into UK politics.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:14 am 

village wrote:
Rocketz wrote:
Rugby2023 wrote:
Rocketz wrote:
Rugby2023 wrote:

1. Negotiate brexit exit

It's not that difficult.

Not that it needed confirming but this paragraph highlights the extent of your insight into UK politics.

Thanks!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:18 am 

Quote:
But how many Tories want to remain in the EU is a bigger question. It is obviously a significant amount as close to 50% of the voters supported staying in the EU.

One of the misconceptions created by the media coverage. The real number is around 40%. (Compared to 65% of Labour voters). Quite different to the views of their MP's. Both Labour and Conservatives have a lot of voters from both camps, Europe has seldom been the deciding factor in opting for one of the two largest parties. The important issues are spending and taxation, social policy, and management of the economy.

The bottom line is that if May decides to appeal to the "base" then it will be Eurosceptic. It doesn't matter anyway, Labour are going to lose 50 seats because of Corbyn. There is no gamble, never mind a massive one.

I'm sure there will be some pickup by the LibDems due to pro-European Tory voters switching, as you say. But, they probably only have the capacity to win around 15 seats.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:27 am 

Will Nigel Farage stand he is still deciding.

Yes or No

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:32 am 

Rocketz wrote:

Yes or No

I listened to his show on LBC last night, it was UKIP voter after UKIP voter phoning up saying they were voting Conservative. I shouldn't imagine it will have encouraged him.

Last edited by Rugby2023 on Wed Apr 19, 2017 1:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:47 am 

Rugby2023 wrote:
Rocketz wrote:

Yes or No

I listened to his show on LBC last night, it was UKIP voter after UKIP voter phoning up saying they were voting Conservative. It shouldn't imagine it will have encouraged him.

The funniest thing was he said that he valued his EP seat higher than standing in British ELections :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:51 am 

I was wondering is calling the election a good thing having allready activated article 50. This basically pauses everything on the british side for 2 to 3 months which makes a no-deal brexit the most likely scenario

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 1:15 pm 

Rocketz wrote:
I was wondering is calling the election a good thing having allready activated article 50. This basically pauses everything on the british side for 2 to 3 months which makes a no-deal brexit the most likely scenario

Actually the talks are still ongoing. The agenda was the format of Brexit rather than the details until September. This is also largely due to the French and German elections. So basically now is the perfect time for an election, especially if it strengthens Theresa May's position UK terms.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 2:22 pm 

Rocketz wrote:

It won't pause anything in reality. And if there is no deal, it really isn't that catastrophic. It'll not be good for the EU on any level.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 2:33 pm 

Rocketz wrote:

Yes or No

Difficult to see what he has to gain.

Good news that Osborn's gone. :thumbup:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 2:38 pm 

haunch wrote:
bimboman wrote:
JJR wrote:
bimboman wrote:
haunch wrote:
So much support he didn't stand for the leadership. Perhaps he has a few ex-ministers but he has never been popular on the back benches. He's gone and wont be coming back any time soon.

You're being dim if you believe that.

Osborne was only ever an adjunct to Cameron. Without him he's Conservative navel lint.

See.

I don't see May standing down before 2025 or him being made leader after. Maybe Boris will bring him back into the cabinet/shadow :shock: .
He wont stand in the next election imo.

kagamusha wrote:
TranceNRG wrote:
kagamusha wrote:
haunch wrote:
George has little to no power now. I think the majority of Lab and the vast majority of cons would vote for article 50.

Interesting if we get to see who is right. Probably be a gen election if it doesn't pass.

Don't know about the Tories, but Labour will not vote for article 50.

:roll: Yeah all of them voted to Remain didn't they? Even the ones who voted to remain are saying referendum result should be respected.

They will vote against article 50, Corbyn made a tactical error...he will not repeat it...

Looking back at a discussion about Osborne's future a few months ago. Would be interesting to have a look back over this thread when the deal gets finalised. If there's a deal.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 4:00 pm 

spookly wrote:
Rocketz wrote:

It won't pause anything in reality. And if there is no deal, it really isn't that catastrophic. It'll not be good for the EU on any level.

All the reading I've done on the referendum has made Nigel Farrage seem a bit delusional about his own status and importance and standing with the public and well as in his understanding of the public. In some ways he's right, he's now probably the most influential British politician of the past decade, brexit would have happened with his talented ability to get his anti-EU criticisms across in a passionate, articulate and genuine sounding way that tuned into great sections of the country outside London. On the other hand he's irrelevant, has nothing to offer and now sounds like a pompous attention whore who is desperate to be acknowledged. I might tune into his show form yesterday because one poster stated it was just various UKIp supporters announcing they are now voting Tory.

Still Farrage standing and losing for the 8th or 9th time might signify the symbolic end of UKIPs time and direct influence. I suspect they will still be a key tool for Tories to weaken Labour votes in their heartlands for a while.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:47 pm 

bimboman wrote:

"He will wipe away all tears from their eyes; there will be no more death, and no more mourning or sadness or pain. The world of the past has gone."

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:53 pm 

Auckman wrote:
bimboman wrote:

"He will wipe away all tears from their eyes; there will be no more death, and no more mourning or sadness or pain. The world of the past has gone."

Every body has access to the single market.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 12:15 am 

Will will have access to the single market probably tariff free for most goods

It will be the customs facilitatiom and services access that will be the tricky points.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:19 am 

spookly wrote:
Rocketz wrote:

I will be grand for the UK, of course :thumbup:

Delusional really. and that's being nice about it.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:03 am 

La soule wrote:
spookly wrote:
Rocketz wrote:

I will be grand for the UK, of course :thumbup:

Delusional really. and that's being nice about it.

I think it would certainly involve challenges in implementation. The changes would be initially painful, but we already do most of our trade under WTO rules, so this isn't some unprecedented thing that the UK has no experience of handling, but the transition and volume may initially be challenging.

Under WTO rules we'll levy more fees on goods coming from the EU than the EU countries will levy on UK exports going to them, And we save on the annual membership fee. And the EUs chance of getting a big divorce payment is nil if no deal is likely.

I think the really telling thing is that nobody had ever done any analysis of whether the EU is good for the UK, or any other European country for that matter. No statistics, unbiased reports. Civitas made a good stab at it, and found that the EU had a positive benefit of 0 to 0.2% on trade but that is diminishing. The positive benefit was also less than the cost of contributing.

So, instead of stating really dumb things. Why don't you try telling us all why you think what you think? Try explaining why the EU is good for the UK, what problems we will face, and maybe read the Civitas report and tell us why they are wrong.

Most of the EU based contributors to this thread seem to be a bit bitter that the UK is leaving. We aren't moving out of Europe, just saying we don't want to be in the EU club anymore. No need to get all offended and get your panties in a twist.
I guess it must be hard to see one of the biggest financial contributors to the EU project walking out the door, and realising they'll be after you to pay for the shortfall if you happen to be in a net contributing country :-)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 40137 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 885, 886, 887, 888, 889, 890, 891 ... 1004  Next