planetf1.com

It is currently Wed Dec 19, 2018 5:39 am

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please read the forum rules

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 12:01 am 

Is it coincidence that this section of the thread about Hamilton breaking his duck has a poster called 'dead duck' ? 8O

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 2:49 am 

Option or Prime wrote:
Is it coincidence that this section of the thread about Hamilton breaking his duck has a poster called 'dead duck' ? 8O

My handle is a multi-level pun that would take half a page to explain completely. Part of it has to do with collecting bevel head single cylinder Ducatis. Have also been a follower of the Grateful Dead since the early '70s. Not to mention that I have been a duck hunter for the last several decades. If you are not completely befuddled by now, well... :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 8:54 am 

Unrelated but that new ducati has my tempted to sell my first born.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 12:49 pm 

Junglist wrote:
Unrelated but that new ducati has my tempted to sell my first born.

Yeah, Nice bike!!!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 10:05 pm 

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 10:13 pm 

shoot999 wrote:

Another touching award and Senna indeed would have won 5 titles if he had not died.

2013: 5th Place
2014: Champion
2015: 3rd Place
2016: 4th Place

2017: 9th Place
2018: 7th place

Wins: Canada 2018, Abu Dhabi 2017
Podiums: (6)

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 11:28 pm 

shay550 wrote:
Five time
Five time
Five time
Five time
Five time

World Champion!

I like the Booker T reference you made there.

If you know. You know.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 11:57 pm 

Winning here in Brazil makes 50 wins in the last 5 seasons (99 total races)! That's an unbelievable run! To average 10 wins per year for half of a decade is just amazing.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 5:56 pm 

Nice

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 6:21 pm 

A lucky win, he is turning into Schumacher circa 2001-2004 even when he doesn’t have the pace he is still winning races. It reminded me of Schumachers win in France in 2002 when Kimi should have won but spun on oil from a freshly blown engine in front of him.

72 wins, he needs 20 more. The only real targte for him now is the MS records and making sure he leaves the sport with more wins, WDC than Vettel to be the most decorated driver of this era.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 7:21 pm 

Good year for the UK in motorsport.

Tai Woffinden became a 3 x Speedway World Champion.

Jonathan Rea became a 4 x World Superbike Champion.

Lewis Hamilton became a 5 x F1 World Champion.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 7:23 pm 

shoot999 wrote:
Good year for the UK in motorsport.

Tai Woffinden became a 3 x Speedway World Champion.

Jonathan Rea became a 4 x World Superbike Champion.

Lewis Hamilton became a 5 x F1 World Champion.

And Probably 1,2,3 in F2 as well.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 7:28 pm 

The leadership and maturity Lewis is showing tells me that he has a long career ahead of him in F1 outside of driving. I think he can be an awesome driver-coach a la Nikki Lauda. I'm sure they'll want him involved for years to come.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 7:57 pm 

shay550 wrote:
The leadership and maturity Lewis is showing tells me that he has a long career ahead of him in F1 outside of driving. I think he can be an awesome driver-coach a la Nikki Lauda. I'm sure they'll want him involved for years to come.

Yeah but Lewis himself wouldn't want to do that. He'll be gone once his time behind the wheel is over.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 7:59 pm 

sandman1347 wrote:
shay550 wrote:

Yeah but Lewis himself wouldn't want to do that. He'll be gone once his time behind the wheel is over.

I agree I don't see him hanging around the paddock, he will move on.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 8:08 pm 

pokerman wrote:
sandman1347 wrote:
shay550 wrote:

I noticed that Croft was banging the drum again this weekend in demanding that Lewis put something back into F1 once he retires. They had a bit of a fractious debate about this a few years ago, and Lewis made it clear then that it wasn't going to happen. Can't see him changing his mind, despite Crofts argument that 'he should put something back.'

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 9:41 pm 

shoot999 wrote:
pokerman wrote:
sandman1347 wrote:
shay550 wrote:

I noticed that Croft was banging the drum again this weekend in demanding that Lewis put something back into F1 once he retires. They had a bit of a fractious debate about this a few years ago, and Lewis made it clear then that it wasn't going to happen. Can't see him changing his mind, despite Crofts argument that 'he should put something back.'

Indeed Hamilton might look at someone like Jackie Stewart and think I don't want to become that guy.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 3:08 am 

pokerman wrote:
shoot999 wrote:
pokerman wrote:
sandman1347 wrote:
shay550 wrote:

Indeed Hamilton might look at someone like Jackie Stewart and think I don't want to become that guy.

The majority of people in and around F1 respect Sir Jackie: I think Hamilton could do a lot worse than becoming like him. As far as I can tell, the only problem Hamilton fans have with him is that he criticized Lewis once or twice, which to me seems a bit petty.

That said, I don't agree that Hamilton under any obligation to 'give something back'. He gave F1 his talents and his marketing exposure for at least a decade, and gave the sport a significant part of its narrative since 2007. He doesn't owe them anything if he doesn't want to stay involved.

AUTOSPORT GP PREDICTOR: 2017 USA & P-F1 Champion | #2 in the world in 2017

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 6:40 am 

Exediron wrote:
The majority of people in and around F1 respect Sir Jackie: I think Hamilton could do a lot worse than becoming like him. As far as I can tell, the only problem Hamilton fans have with him is that he criticized Lewis once or twice, which to me seems a bit petty.

He is an easy man to respect, but difficult to like.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 9:52 am 

Johnson wrote:
A lucky win, he is turning into Schumacher circa 2001-2004 even when he doesn’t have the pace he is still winning races. It reminded me of Schumachers win in France in 2002 when Kimi should have won but spun on oil from a freshly blown engine in front of him.

72 wins, he needs 20 more. The only real targte for him now is the MS records and making sure he leaves the sport with more wins, WDC than Vettel to be the most decorated driver of this era.

Yes, I didn't think that someone would do this so soon. It took nearly 50 years for someone to equal Fangio's 5 WDC, I can't believe it is a decade after that Schumacher's records are being threatened. Speaks volumes

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 9:55 am 

Exediron wrote:
pokerman wrote:
shoot999 wrote:
pokerman wrote:
sandman1347 wrote:

That said, I don't agree that Hamilton under any obligation to 'give something back'. He gave F1 his talents and his marketing exposure for at least a decade, and gave the sport a significant part of its narrative since 2007. He doesn't owe them anything if he doesn't want to stay involved.

Jackie Stewart has criticized Hamilton once or twice :lol: that is a major understatement. His interviews regarding Hamilton have been cringeworthy for many years, it's only taken this year to get something slightly complimentary out of him with still a few digs.

2016: 24th place
2017: 4th place

Wins: Spain 2016, Canada 2017, Malaysia 2017
Podiums: 2nd Germany 2016, 3rd Mexico 2016

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 9:59 am 

Lojik wrote:
Exediron wrote:

He is an easy man to respect, but difficult to like.

:thumbup:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 11:39 am 

pokerman wrote:
shoot999 wrote:
pokerman wrote:
sandman1347 wrote:
shay550 wrote:

Classy, respected and successful?

Edit: Reading on I now see why the recent snide remarks.

PF1 Pick 10 Competition 2016: CHAMPION (2 wins, 8 podiums)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 1:00 pm 

I can't see Hamilton as a Sky/Channel 4 pundit. I hate it when ex drivers turn into controversy seeking shock jocks.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 1:10 pm 

BMWSauber84 wrote:
I can't see Hamilton as a Sky/Channel 4 pundit. I hate it when ex drivers turn into controversy seeking shock jocks.

Coultard must be up there as one of the most successful post F1, career wise.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 1:24 pm 

BMWSauber84 wrote:

I think he should become the safety car driver once he retires. He's contantly complaining of how slow it is, so could show them all how it's done :-P

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 2:30 pm 

F1_Ernie wrote:
Exediron wrote:
pokerman wrote:
shoot999 wrote:
pokerman wrote:

Jackie Stewart has criticized Hamilton once or twice :lol: that is a major understatement. His interviews regarding Hamilton have been cringeworthy for many years, it's only taken this year to get something slightly complimentary out of him with still a few digs.

Indeed

Quote:
"Lewis Hamilton needs all the luck he can get"
"Lewis Hamilton a worthy champion but not as good as Fangio"
"Lewis Hamilton should apologise for motorbike snapchat"
"Mercedes must do more to control Hamilton", "Mercedes should punish 'Little Ballerina' Hamilton"
"Hamilton is not a legend yet, even if he equals my record"
"I want to see Nico Rosberg beat Lewis Hamilton"
"Sir Jackie Stewart suggests Lewis Hamilton has lost focus"
"Lewis Hamilton’s lifestyle is damaging his driving"
"Mercedes should fine Lewis Hamilton for crash at Spanish GP"
"Jackie Stewart slams Lewis Hamilton's ill-thought out behaviour in final GP"
"Sir Jackie Stewart is banking on Vettel over Hamilton"
"Stewart- Provoked Vettel made mistake in Hamilton clash"
"Lewis Hamilton can't expect a knighthood for winning a few races"
"Jackie Stewart says he has never had a conversation with F1 champ Lewis Hamilton

Stewart was also of the opinion that team orders were used against Rosberg in Monza 2014 after the Spa collision

Quote:
There was very little rubber smoke and I don’t quite understand that on a very easy part of the track. It was a part of the track where there was no real penalty for making that mistake, so I am a little confused. I thought it was a bit too easy. I thought he could have at least made an effort to get round the corner but he didn’t. The first I thought: ‘That’s wise’, because he knew it wasn’t a difficult thing to believe; the second time I thought: ‘Hello, what’s going on here?’”

Stewart, asked whether it might have been part of the Mercedes strategy, replied: “It has been suggested.

Last edited by pokerman on Tue Nov 13, 2018 2:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 2:34 pm 

shoot999 wrote:
BMWSauber84 wrote:

I think it works better when you haven't been a WDC so not in a position to talk down to drivers?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 2:38 pm 

shoot999 wrote:
BMWSauber84 wrote:

I like Di Resta, really knows what he is talking about and shuts Crofty up often enough which is always great.

2016: 24th place
2017: 4th place

Wins: Spain 2016, Canada 2017, Malaysia 2017
Podiums: 2nd Germany 2016, 3rd Mexico 2016

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 2:46 pm 

F1_Ernie wrote:
shoot999 wrote:
BMWSauber84 wrote:

I like Di Resta, really knows what he is talking about and shuts Crofty up often enough which is always great.

Or become multi-house owner and rake it in, spending the rest of your life getting hammered on a boat, Irvine style!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 3:29 pm 

Siao7 wrote:
F1_Ernie wrote:
shoot999 wrote:
BMWSauber84 wrote:

Or become multi-house owner and rake it in, spending the rest of your life getting hammered on a boat, Irvine style!

I thought Irvine was already successful financially pre F1, and F1 was essentially just like a hobby to him, and after it finished he went back to what he was doing before?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 4:10 pm 

shoot999 wrote:

That's pretty sick nice touch

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 4:15 pm 

Alienturnedhuman wrote:
Siao7 wrote:
F1_Ernie wrote:
shoot999 wrote:
BMWSauber84 wrote:

I thought Irvine was already successful financially pre F1, and F1 was essentially just like a hobby to him, and after it finished he went back to what he was doing before?

He became a property developer after F1 as far as I know.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 5:25 pm 

Siao7 wrote:
Alienturnedhuman wrote:
Siao7 wrote:
F1_Ernie wrote:
shoot999 wrote:

He became a property developer after F1 as far as I know.

Yeah I think he was selling cars then he got sponsored by Marlboro in F3 and F3000, but basically made his money in F1 and then onto what he's doing now?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 9:50 am 

BMWSauber84 wrote:

Button would be good. We got a preview of that a few years back and he's so laid back it's funny.

Lewis won't do it. He's far too busy with his American life style.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 10:23 am 

Teddy007 wrote:
BMWSauber84 wrote:

Button would be good. We got a preview of that a few years back and he's so laid back it's funny.

Lewis won't do it. He's far too busy with his American life style.

I think he is a few years away from that yet given his recent touring car championship win, still a far bit of racing left in Jenson!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 10:41 am 

Irvine was already wealthy when he entered F1, millionaire I think. I am not sure if it was through sponsorship, prize money or wages but he got his wealth from 3 years racing in Japan.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 10:42 am 

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 10:52 am 

Johnson wrote:
Irvine was already wealthy when he entered F1, millionaire I think. I am not sure if it was through sponsorship, prize money or wages but he got his wealth from 3 years racing in Japan.

His big money from being a property developer came after F1, this is his big business nowadays and he is thriving as far as I know. This is what I was referring to when I said he is raking it in nowadays and spends his days getting hammered!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 12:39 pm 

Johnson wrote:

Yeah I forgot about that, basically he first acquired his money through racing.