planetf1.com

It is currently Sun Dec 16, 2018 9:59 am

All times are UTC


Forum rules


Please read the forum rules



Post new topic Reply to topic
Author Message
PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 2:25 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun May 25, 2008 7:55 pm
Posts: 5620
pokerman wrote:
Johnson wrote:
Irvine was already wealthy when he entered F1, millionaire I think. I am not sure if it was through sponsorship, prize money or wages but he got his wealth from 3 years racing in Japan.

Yeah I forgot about that, basically he first acquired his money through racing.

The truth is that Eddie came from money. His father was a successful business man who funded his early career completely.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 7:23 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:30 pm
Posts: 28712
sandman1347 wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Johnson wrote:
Irvine was already wealthy when he entered F1, millionaire I think. I am not sure if it was through sponsorship, prize money or wages but he got his wealth from 3 years racing in Japan.

Yeah I forgot about that, basically he first acquired his money through racing.

The truth is that Eddie came from money. His father was a successful business man who funded his early career completely.

That's perhaps something he didn't want to bring forward, he seemed quite proud of his wheeler dealing in his younger years?

_________________
PF1 Pick 10 Competition

2013: 5th Place
2014: Champion
2015: 3rd Place
2016: 4th Place

2017: 9th Place
2018: 7th place

Wins: Canada 2018, Abu Dhabi 2017
Podiums: (6)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 10:11 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue May 05, 2009 11:31 am
Posts: 6650
pokerman wrote:
sandman1347 wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Johnson wrote:
Irvine was already wealthy when he entered F1, millionaire I think. I am not sure if it was through sponsorship, prize money or wages but he got his wealth from 3 years racing in Japan.

Yeah I forgot about that, basically he first acquired his money through racing.

The truth is that Eddie came from money. His father was a successful business man who funded his early career completely.

That's perhaps something he didn't want to bring forward, he seemed quite proud of his wheeler dealing in his younger years?

From my understanding, he was working at his dad's scrapyard for free. In return, his dad funded his first Formula Ford career. This was to keep him away from motorbikes that his parents viewed as much more dangerous.

His personal fortune though, really took off from investing his F1 salaries.

Really derailed this one I'm afraid, all my fault.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 10:41 am 
Offline

Joined: Fri Nov 09, 2012 2:54 pm
Posts: 1036
Johnson wrote:
A lucky win, he is turning into Schumacher circa 2001-2004 even when he doesn’t have the pace he is still winning races. It reminded me of Schumachers win in France in 2002 when Kimi should have won but spun on oil from a freshly blown engine in front of him.

72 wins, he needs 20 more. The only real targte for him now is the MS records and making sure he leaves the sport with more wins, WDC than Vettel to be the most decorated driver of this era.


Exactly. Doesn't always have the best package but can win. One of the main reasons why he nailed it this season is because he's made few mistakes compared to his main rival. You look at RBR.. most of this season they have been miles behind but a big portion of it is their sheer unreliability issues and constant penalties..

There are always those who want to take away what Lewis and Merc have achieved though. That's the major sad part.

I remember at the start of the season and again last year when Ferrari were hammering the results. People questioned Lewis and his personal life. Fans claimed he wasn't bothered about F1 anymore. Pundits questioned his effort levels. Now? he's walked away with title number 5 at a time when it wasn't Merc V Merc. It was Merc V Ferrari with a few pokes from RBR.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 11:48 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Sep 15, 2008 9:23 am
Posts: 2668
Lewis is closer to Schumachers number of total wins than Vettel is to Hamiltons. 8O


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 12:08 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:30 pm
Posts: 28712
shoot999 wrote:
Lewis is closer to Schumachers number of total wins than Vettel is to Hamiltons. 8O

Other interesting facts from this year, Hamilton qualified on pole at Silverstone 0.044s faster than Vettel, also in Brazil Verstappen crashed with Ocon on lap 44 giving Hamilton the win. 8O

_________________
PF1 Pick 10 Competition

2013: 5th Place
2014: Champion
2015: 3rd Place
2016: 4th Place

2017: 9th Place
2018: 7th place

Wins: Canada 2018, Abu Dhabi 2017
Podiums: (6)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 8:06 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 15, 2007 8:14 pm
Posts: 1721
shoot999 wrote:
Lewis is closer to Schumachers number of total wins than Vettel is to Hamiltons. 8O

Wow that is amazing. Who'd have thought he'd have 5 great years at mercedes

_________________
Pathfinder


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 1:10 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun May 25, 2008 7:55 pm
Posts: 5620
I really do wonder how long he will continue to dominate. We all know that in F1, no matter how good a driver is, he must have a competitive car to win titles. With Mercedes, it's kind of hard to imagine them not producing a competitive car. They won't always be the best but the way the team functions, it's hard to see Lewis finding himself in a car that's a second off the pace at any point. Mercedes have the largest budget and the only team that seem to match or surpass them in efficacy are Red Bull (a non-engine manufacturer). We all talk about the next two years but I see no reason why Lewis can't keep going for 5+ more years and be competitive throughout.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 6:02 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Apr 03, 2013 5:27 pm
Posts: 169
sandman1347 wrote:
I really do wonder how long he will continue to dominate. We all know that in F1, no matter how good a driver is, he must have a competitive car to win titles. With Mercedes, it's kind of hard to imagine them not producing a competitive car. They won't always be the best but the way the team functions, it's hard to see Lewis finding himself in a car that's a second off the pace at any point. Mercedes have the largest budget and the only team that seem to match or surpass them in efficacy are Red Bull (a non-engine manufacturer). We all talk about the next two years but I see no reason why Lewis can't keep going for 5+ more years and be competitive throughout.

It’s not impossible that Honda really turn things around next year and propel Redbull right to the front and with their chassis they could put up a challenge. Redbull have been very optimistic about their chances with next year’s new front wing. Also if Ferrari can improve at the same rate as they did the last 2 years they could find themselves with a dominant car. The only question would be wether Vettel and Leclerc trip over each other.
Of course both of these things could happen and Mercedes find themselves as the 3rd best car.? There is indeed a very high chance that Mercedes and Hamilton could be challenged very hard next year and find poles and wins hard to come by.
On the other hand though if Mercedes can maintain the same level of competitiveness with the new front wing Lewis could be looking at racking up at least 10 wins each season for the next 2 years, and with those numbers championships usually follow as well. By the end of 2020 we could be looking at Hamilton having just equaled Michael Schumacher on 7 Championships and probably surpassed the record for most wins. If he does that I see Hamilton extending his stay in F1 for at least another year just to see if he could get an 8th Championship and leave F1 with his legacy in no doubt.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 3:02 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Aug 08, 2016 11:14 am
Posts: 510
Location: Stratford
Hamilton now holds the record for most number of points in a season with 408!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 5:42 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun May 25, 2008 7:55 pm
Posts: 5620
JN23 wrote:
Hamilton now holds the record for most number of points in a season with 408!

I wonder if he'll ever get the wins in a season record. He'd need 13 to tie it. He's had a tremendous run of winning double-digit races in 4 of the last 5 years but hasn't taken that record yet. With Mercedes no longer being dominant these last couple of years, that might be one he doesn't get. That said, if Mercedes can produce a dominant machine and if Bottas is his teammate, I think he will break that one.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 5:50 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Nov 18, 2012 11:14 pm
Posts: 3479
bonecrasher wrote:
sandman1347 wrote:
I really do wonder how long he will continue to dominate. We all know that in F1, no matter how good a driver is, he must have a competitive car to win titles. With Mercedes, it's kind of hard to imagine them not producing a competitive car. They won't always be the best but the way the team functions, it's hard to see Lewis finding himself in a car that's a second off the pace at any point. Mercedes have the largest budget and the only team that seem to match or surpass them in efficacy are Red Bull (a non-engine manufacturer). We all talk about the next two years but I see no reason why Lewis can't keep going for 5+ more years and be competitive throughout.

It’s not impossible that Honda really turn things around next year and propel Redbull right to the front and with their chassis they could put up a challenge. Redbull have been very optimistic about their chances with next year’s new front wing. Also if Ferrari can improve at the same rate as they did the last 2 years they could find themselves with a dominant car. The only question would be wether Vettel and Leclerc trip over each other.
Of course both of these things could happen and Mercedes find themselves as the 3rd best car.? There is indeed a very high chance that Mercedes and Hamilton could be challenged very hard next year and find poles and wins hard to come by.
On the other hand though if Mercedes can maintain the same level of competitiveness with the new front wing Lewis could be looking at racking up at least 10 wins each season for the next 2 years, and with those numbers championships usually follow as well. By the end of 2020 we could be looking at Hamilton having just equaled Michael Schumacher on 7 Championships and probably surpassed the record for most wins. If he does that I see Hamilton extending his stay in F1 for at least another year just to see if he could get an 8th Championship and leave F1 with his legacy in no doubt.


Honda engines are still blowing up the most out of all the other manufacturers though. I personally was encouraged by their mid season progress, but by now they should have been more solid in my opinion if they are to be a factor in 2019. Next year they are going to perform on the big stage, and I just don't feel they are ready for it.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 5:52 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2015 9:33 pm
Posts: 1943
sandman1347 wrote:
JN23 wrote:
Hamilton now holds the record for most number of points in a season with 408!

I wonder if he'll ever get the wins in a season record. He'd need 13 to tie it. He's had a tremendous run of winning double-digit races in 4 of the last 5 years but hasn't taken that record yet. With Mercedes no longer being dominant these last couple of years, that might be one he doesn't get. That said, if Mercedes can produce a dominant machine and if Bottas is his teammate, I think he will break that one.


I don't see it, but think there are fair chances for him to reach 7 WDC's and 92+ race wins. The trend of Ferrari suggests continued fierce competition, and I think failure is not an option for RBR + Honda.

Fireworks incoming from 2019-2020 is my prediction.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 5:57 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun May 25, 2008 7:55 pm
Posts: 5620
Invade wrote:
sandman1347 wrote:
JN23 wrote:
Hamilton now holds the record for most number of points in a season with 408!

I wonder if he'll ever get the wins in a season record. He'd need 13 to tie it. He's had a tremendous run of winning double-digit races in 4 of the last 5 years but hasn't taken that record yet. With Mercedes no longer being dominant these last couple of years, that might be one he doesn't get. That said, if Mercedes can produce a dominant machine and if Bottas is his teammate, I think he will break that one.


I don't see it, but think there are fair chances for him to reach 7 WDC's and 92+ race wins. The trend of Ferrari suggests continued fierce competition, and I think failure is not an option for RBR + Honda.

Fireworks incoming from 2019-2020 is my prediction.

It's a sound prediction. I can definitely see a strong possibility of having 2012-like seasons these next two years. Of course it's also possible that one team will surge ahead and dominate. Time will tell.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 6:22 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Aug 08, 2016 11:14 am
Posts: 510
Location: Stratford
Yeah I don't see Hamilton breaking the wins in a season record as I don't see Merc (or any other team for that matter) producing a car dominant enough to do that. A Merc advantage 2014-16 with Bottas in the other car would give him a great chance though.

Wouldn't be surprised whichever of the front three are on top next season. It could be a cracker.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 11:54 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 30, 2017 12:58 am
Posts: 613
Location: Kansas
Lewis must be worn out from not having his usual end of season holiday! :lol:

He clinched in Mexico and promptly won both of the next two races.

Might have tried to gift the win to Valtteri today, but Bottas was nowhere around to receive it.

Looks like Lewis might have to be fast out of the box next year to stay at the top of the heap. Ferrari and RBR look to be more of a credible threat next year than they have been for a number of years.

_________________
Mission WinLater


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 1:11 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:30 pm
Posts: 28712
sandman1347 wrote:
JN23 wrote:
Hamilton now holds the record for most number of points in a season with 408!

I wonder if he'll ever get the wins in a season record. He'd need 13 to tie it. He's had a tremendous run of winning double-digit races in 4 of the last 5 years but hasn't taken that record yet. With Mercedes no longer being dominant these last couple of years, that might be one he doesn't get. That said, if Mercedes can produce a dominant machine and if Bottas is his teammate, I think he will break that one.

I would be more than happy if he just wins 10 races in 2019 and 10 races in 2020. :)

_________________
PF1 Pick 10 Competition

2013: 5th Place
2014: Champion
2015: 3rd Place
2016: 4th Place

2017: 9th Place
2018: 7th place

Wins: Canada 2018, Abu Dhabi 2017
Podiums: (6)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 7:29 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Aug 08, 2016 11:14 am
Posts: 510
Location: Stratford
pokerman wrote:
sandman1347 wrote:
JN23 wrote:
Hamilton now holds the record for most number of points in a season with 408!

I wonder if he'll ever get the wins in a season record. He'd need 13 to tie it. He's had a tremendous run of winning double-digit races in 4 of the last 5 years but hasn't taken that record yet. With Mercedes no longer being dominant these last couple of years, that might be one he doesn't get. That said, if Mercedes can produce a dominant machine and if Bottas is his teammate, I think he will break that one.

I would be more than happy if he just wins 10 races in 2019 and 10 races in 2020. :)


Haha! Me too :)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 1:43 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun May 25, 2008 7:55 pm
Posts: 5620
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FTkSwPRDEJI

Pretty cool to see this between Hamilton and Vettel after a championship battle.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 7:37 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2015 9:33 pm
Posts: 1943


Hamilton and Vettel exchange helmets...


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 7:40 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Jun 27, 2010 6:56 pm
Posts: 530
Location: Norwich
I don't know if this has already been posted but it gave me a chuckle in the coverage ...



Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 10:13 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Jun 30, 2013 2:10 pm
Posts: 314
Nostalgia might be getting the best out of me lately but I do miss the wonder kid which entered the scene of Formula 1 in 2007 from time to time.

Lewis vs Fisichella Nurburgring 2007

Lewis vs Kubica Magny Cours 2007

Lewis vs Kimi Monza 2007

I know he is still there doing great,wrapping world titles,race wins ,breaking new records but Lewis from the early days was the most entertaining Lewis to watch on board for me.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 3:45 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 30, 2017 12:58 am
Posts: 613
Location: Kansas
F1 world champion Lewis Hamilton has declared his love for motorbike racing following his test day in Jerez.

https://www.crash.net/f1/news/911533/1/ ... ranch-asap

Lewis spent the day at Jerez riding a World Superbike Yamaha. He dropped the bike at one point when pushing the limits but got up and finished the day uninjured.

Image
Source:https://s3-eu-west-1.amazonaws.com/crash.net/Dtea9iEW0AAYXFz.jpg
Note the number 44 on the bum pad.

Would love to see Lewis and Valentino Rossi or Mark Marquez do a ride swap. Lewis' buddy Cal Crutchlow would also be a good candidate. Would be fun to see a current MotoGP racer in an F1 Mercedes even if it is a several year old car.

_________________
Mission WinLater


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:16 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Aug 25, 2014 9:50 am
Posts: 892
Location: UK
Agree with that MC, love the fact that LH dropped the bike going for it, says a lot about his state of mind, thats a great pic as well.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:50 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Aug 08, 2018 9:15 am
Posts: 37
I have to agree with Lewis. Something about 2 wheels is so much more fun than 4. I only have a boring road car but my R6 never fails to put a grin on my face.

Though I came off a lot worse than him when i dropped mine!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 12:42 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Oct 06, 2006 12:07 pm
Posts: 9397
Junglist wrote:
I have to agree with Lewis. Something about 2 wheels is so much more fun than 4. I only have a boring road car but my R6 never fails to put a grin on my face.

Though I came off a lot worse than him when i dropped mine!

Did it put a grin on your face then too? :-P Seriously I hope you weren't injured or anything like that!

_________________
Räikkönen - Vettel - Bottas
Thank you Nico - You´re the champ!

PF1 Pick 10 Competition 2016: CHAMPION (2 wins, 8 podiums)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 12:51 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:30 pm
Posts: 28712
If you wanting to be a 7 times F1 WDC then you shouldn't be pushing the limit on a motor bike.

_________________
PF1 Pick 10 Competition

2013: 5th Place
2014: Champion
2015: 3rd Place
2016: 4th Place

2017: 9th Place
2018: 7th place

Wins: Canada 2018, Abu Dhabi 2017
Podiums: (6)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 12:52 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Aug 08, 2018 9:15 am
Posts: 37
Covalent wrote:
Junglist wrote:
I have to agree with Lewis. Something about 2 wheels is so much more fun than 4. I only have a boring road car but my R6 never fails to put a grin on my face.

Though I came off a lot worse than him when i dropped mine!

Did it put a grin on your face then too? :-P Seriously I hope you weren't injured or anything like that!


I got high-sided and broke my arm, wrist and fractured my elbow! Joke was it was only at about ~20-30mph I was more worried about my bike as she lay in the road spilling oil everywhere as I cracked the stator cover. She and I are all fixed now and on best of terms with each other.

8 weeks later once I was out of my cast I had her fixed and was riding it again right away. Broken bones can't keep me away from that Inline 6 goodness. Closest I'll ever get to a screaming F1 car.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 1:25 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 30, 2017 12:58 am
Posts: 613
Location: Kansas
pokerman wrote:
If you wanting to be a 7 times F1 WDC then you shouldn't be pushing the limit on a motor bike.


Well the possibility for serious injury is always there in racing or testing outside Formula One. I would hate to see those possibilities contractually eliminated. Yes we lost Jim Clark to a F2 crash and Robert Kubica lost a large chunk of his career and almost his life to a Rally crash, but I have always found interdisciplinary racing a great way to measure the greatness of racing drivers and their skill levels.

Yes, there are dangers in riding GP bikes at the limit, but it is a lot safer than what the general population thinks. Having worked as a turn marshal for a number of motorcycle road race events I have seen quite a few get offs where rider sustains little or no injury.

Certainly during the season, Mercedes will limit what activities Lewis can participate in. In the off season with three months to recover, give him a little room to enjoy himself.

_________________
Mission WinLater


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 1:38 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:30 pm
Posts: 28712
Mort Canard wrote:
pokerman wrote:
If you wanting to be a 7 times F1 WDC then you shouldn't be pushing the limit on a motor bike.


Well the possibility for serious injury is always there in racing or testing outside Formula One. I would hate to see those possibilities contractually eliminated. Yes we lost Jim Clark to a F2 crash and Robert Kubica lost a large chunk of his career and almost his life to a Rally crash, but I have always found interdisciplinary racing a great way to measure the greatness of racing drivers and their skill levels.

Yes, there are dangers in riding GP bikes at the limit, but it is a lot safer than what the general population thinks. Having worked as a turn marshal for a number of motorcycle road race events I have seen quite a few get offs where rider sustains little or no injury.

Certainly during the season, Mercedes will limit what activities Lewis can participate in. In the off season with three months to recover, give him a little room to enjoy himself.

Ultimately though taking part in something that is actually more dangerous than F1 itself is questionable and perfectly fine until it isn't.

_________________
PF1 Pick 10 Competition

2013: 5th Place
2014: Champion
2015: 3rd Place
2016: 4th Place

2017: 9th Place
2018: 7th place

Wins: Canada 2018, Abu Dhabi 2017
Podiums: (6)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 1:59 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Oct 06, 2006 12:07 pm
Posts: 9397
Junglist wrote:
Covalent wrote:
Junglist wrote:
I have to agree with Lewis. Something about 2 wheels is so much more fun than 4. I only have a boring road car but my R6 never fails to put a grin on my face.

Though I came off a lot worse than him when i dropped mine!

Did it put a grin on your face then too? :-P Seriously I hope you weren't injured or anything like that!


I got high-sided and broke my arm, wrist and fractured my elbow! Joke was it was only at about ~20-30mph I was more worried about my bike as she lay in the road spilling oil everywhere as I cracked the stator cover. She and I are all fixed now and on best of terms with each other.

8 weeks later once I was out of my cast I had her fixed and was riding it again right away. Broken bones can't keep me away from that Inline 6 goodness. Closest I'll ever get to a screaming F1 car.

I know what you mean, I've driven an R6 once, great fun! Glad you're ok now.

_________________
Räikkönen - Vettel - Bottas
Thank you Nico - You´re the champ!

PF1 Pick 10 Competition 2016: CHAMPION (2 wins, 8 podiums)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 1:45 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Oct 06, 2006 12:07 pm
Posts: 9397
https://www.motorsport.com/wsbk/news/ha ... k/4310730/

After four days of testing he's only 7s off the pace.

_________________
Räikkönen - Vettel - Bottas
Thank you Nico - You´re the champ!

PF1 Pick 10 Competition 2016: CHAMPION (2 wins, 8 podiums)


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group