Chat Forum
It is currently Sat Apr 29, 2017 12:29 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 139 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 11:45 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 7135
Location: Middle of the Lothians
My wife and I are coming down to London for a few nights and then on to Barcelona for our 25th anniversary. Thinking of booking somewhere like the Ivy for our anniversary meal. Any suggestions for somewhere else would be most appreciated. Not really interested in somewhere too formal where us country bumkins would feel uncomfortable.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 11:47 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 31832
BlackMac wrote:
My wife and I are coming down to London for a few nights and then on to Barcelona for our 25th anniversary. Thinking of booking somewhere like the Ivy for our anniversary meal. Any suggestions for somewhere else would be most appreciated. Not really interested in somewhere too formal where us country bumkins would feel uncomfortable.


J. Sheekey.

Barrafina.

Tredwells.


Last edited by henry on Sun Jan 01, 2017 11:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 11:47 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 37468
BlackMac wrote:
My wife and I are coming down to London for a few nights and then on to Barcelona for our 25th anniversary. Thinking of booking somewhere like the Ivy for our anniversary meal. Any suggestions for somewhere else would be most appreciated. Not really interested in somewhere too formal where us country bumkins would feel uncomfortable.



What food is wife's favorite ?

If it is a posh lunch u can't really beat "Marcus" at the Berkeley, pretty good value too.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 11:58 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 7135
Location: Middle of the Lothians
bimboman wrote:
BlackMac wrote:
My wife and I are coming down to London for a few nights and then on to Barcelona for our 25th anniversary. Thinking of booking somewhere like the Ivy for our anniversary meal. Any suggestions for somewhere else would be most appreciated. Not really interested in somewhere too formal where us country bumkins would feel uncomfortable.



What food is wife's favorite ?

If it is a posh lunch u can't really beat "Marcus" at the Berkeley, pretty good value too.


It will be dinner. Somewhere like the Ivy with a modern British menu....oh, and a not too outrageous win list.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 12:01 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 31832
BlackMac wrote:
bimboman wrote:
BlackMac wrote:
My wife and I are coming down to London for a few nights and then on to Barcelona for our 25th anniversary. Thinking of booking somewhere like the Ivy for our anniversary meal. Any suggestions for somewhere else would be most appreciated. Not really interested in somewhere too formal where us country bumkins would feel uncomfortable.



What food is wife's favorite ?

If it is a posh lunch u can't really beat "Marcus" at the Berkeley, pretty good value too.


It will be dinner. Somewhere like the Ivy with a modern British menu....oh, and a not too outrageous win list.


J. Sheekey.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 12:04 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 31832
Cafe Murano is also a good shout. Very good food. Relaxed atmosphere. The odd celeb spot to assist with conversation. Reasonably priced. Get a table upstairs mind.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 4:02 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jun 07, 2014 7:02 am
Posts: 1947
henry wrote:
wamberal99 wrote:
Fish! in Borough Market. Not too shabby.


Padella, Elliot's and Brindisa are better bets 'round there tbf.



It suited us, we love the market, and the restaurant is pretty laid back, which suits us. We ate lunch there several times during our last stay in London, and often did a bit of food shopping afterwards. Pretty good fresh pasta at one of the stalls.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 12:23 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 3205
Location: 'ertfordshire
wamberal99 wrote:
henry wrote:
wamberal99 wrote:
Fish! in Borough Market. Not too shabby.


Padella, Elliot's and Brindisa are better bets 'round there tbf.



It suited us, we love the market, and the restaurant is pretty laid back, which suits us. We ate lunch there several times during our last stay in London, and often did a bit of food shopping afterwards. Pretty good fresh pasta at one of the stalls.

Opened a few weeks back in Borough Market
https://www.tacoselpastor.co.uk/
A Hart Bros restaurant and getting positive reviews


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 1:02 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 23955
BlackMac wrote:
My wife and I are coming down to London for a few nights and then on to Barcelona for our 25th anniversary. Thinking of booking somewhere like the Ivy for our anniversary meal. Any suggestions for somewhere else would be most appreciated. Not really interested in somewhere too formal where us country bumkins would feel uncomfortable.


Go to Frederick´s in Islington. It´s a bit of a change, but it´s in a great location on Camden Passage, and is a very lively and pleasant place. Do good cocktails too.

EDIT: It´s been around since 1969 in the same family so has staying power. Celebs run to all the former Arsenal players you can think of.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 2:08 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 26097
henry wrote:
Pollen St Social

Bibendum
Cambio de Tercio
Dinner
L'Etranger
Kitchen
Koffmann's
Marcus


Good stuff henners, the true foodie of the London clique


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 2:26 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 7520
Location: Mostly London........Mostly
Regency Cafe , Pimlico


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 2:35 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 41600
Location: Oundle
SaintK wrote:
wamberal99 wrote:
henry wrote:
wamberal99 wrote:
Fish! in Borough Market. Not too shabby.


Padella, Elliot's and Brindisa are better bets 'round there tbf.



It suited us, we love the market, and the restaurant is pretty laid back, which suits us. We ate lunch there several times during our last stay in London, and often did a bit of food shopping afterwards. Pretty good fresh pasta at one of the stalls.

Opened a few weeks back in Borough Market
https://www.tacoselpastor.co.uk/
A Hart Bros restaurant and getting positive reviews

Sam and Eddie? Barrafina and Quo Vadis etc. We met their dad Tim at Hambleton bakery on the Wharf here in Oundle at Christmas.

There's not much he's been involved in that hasn't been a success and Hambleton Hall, where it all started is an absolute gem.

I think he's coming to dinner here. I'm going to have to pull my socks up.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:16 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 2842
Location: Kernow
A little help needed from the bored Londoners please.

Going to the boxing Saturday week, are there any decent pubs less than half an hour tube ride from Wembley?

Really don't want to be drinking warm bottled lager in The Moore Spice.

Any decent recommendations would be greatly appreciated.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:27 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 13314
The Ginger Jedi wrote:
A little help needed from the bored Londoners please.

Going to the boxing Saturday week, are there any decent pubs less than half an hour tube ride from Wembley?

Really don't want to be drinking warm bottled lager in The Moore Spice.

Any decent recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Not really in the immediate area.

You'd be better off drinking in town then heading up on the tube. What type of pub are you looking for and where are you staying/coming into??


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:32 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 3314
The Ginger Jedi wrote:
A little help needed from the bored Londoners please.

Going to the boxing Saturday week, are there any decent pubs less than half an hour tube ride from Wembley?

Really don't want to be drinking warm bottled lager in The Moore Spice.

Any decent recommendations would be greatly appreciated.


Happyhooker is the one to ask. That guy has 'The Knowledge' when it comes to London pubs. It's almost supernatural.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:38 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 13314
Man In Black wrote:
The Ginger Jedi wrote:
A little help needed from the bored Londoners please.

Going to the boxing Saturday week, are there any decent pubs less than half an hour tube ride from Wembley?

Really don't want to be drinking warm bottled lager in The Moore Spice.

Any decent recommendations would be greatly appreciated.


Happyhooker is the one to ask. That guy has 'The Knowledge' when it comes to London pubs. It's almost supernatural.

Thanks for the commendation!

I've obviously missed this thread before but there's some shockingly bad/out of date recommendations on here.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:47 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 2842
Location: Kernow
The only way to get tickets was to get a ticket and coach package so we're staying in Reading and getting bussed in to Wembley for around 15:30-16:00. This gives about 2-3 hours to spend in a decent boozer.
Been to Wembley enough times to know that there is nothing of note in the vicinity.

Just want a good pub, possible beer garden, <20 mins on the Jubilee/Metropolitan line.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:54 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu Jun 11, 2015 3:03 pm
Posts: 952
The Rocket on Euston Rd would do the job 👍🏼


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:01 am 
Online
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 9649
Location: XPAT CUNT
happyhooker wrote:
Man In Black wrote:
The Ginger Jedi wrote:
A little help needed from the bored Londoners please.

Going to the boxing Saturday week, are there any decent pubs less than half an hour tube ride from Wembley?

Really don't want to be drinking warm bottled lager in The Moore Spice.

Any decent recommendations would be greatly appreciated.


Happyhooker is the one to ask. That guy has 'The Knowledge' when it comes to London pubs. It's almost supernatural.

Thanks for the commendation!

I've obviously missed this thread before but there's some shockingly bad/out of date recommendations on here.


The best reccomendation is browns.

Other than mine obv.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:08 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 8:47 pm
Posts: 3537
The Ginger Jedi wrote:
A little help needed from the bored Londoners please.

Going to the boxing Saturday week, are there any decent pubs less than half an hour tube ride from Wembley?

Really don't want to be drinking warm bottled lager in The Moore Spice.

Any decent recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

:shock: Feck me, how much did that cost?
While I'm here, what's the 'Faltering Fullback' in Finsbury like? Only i'm supposed to be meeting some mates from various parts, and someone decided it was worth a punt as it was fairly central and rugby related.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:13 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 13314
Red Chopper wrote:
The Ginger Jedi wrote:
A little help needed from the bored Londoners please.

Going to the boxing Saturday week, are there any decent pubs less than half an hour tube ride from Wembley?

Really don't want to be drinking warm bottled lager in The Moore Spice.

Any decent recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

:shock: Feck me, how much did that cost?
While I'm here, what's the 'Faltering Fullback' in Finsbury like? Only i'm supposed to be meeting some mates from various parts, and someone decided it was worth a punt as it was fairly central and rugby related.

It's an ok pub with a ridiculously ewok like beer garden. Can get rammed for the rugby, but check the football schedule as it's v close to arsenal and you can sometimes end up watching on a tiny screen while the football is playing in the large room.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:14 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 13314
The Ginger Jedi wrote:
The only way to get tickets was to get a ticket and coach package so we're staying in Reading and getting bussed in to Wembley for around 15:30-16:00. This gives about 2-3 hours to spend in a decent boozer.
Been to Wembley enough times to know that there is nothing of note in the vicinity.

Just want a good pub, possible beer garden, <20 mins on the Jubilee/Metropolitan line.

I'm struggling. Head to baker st???


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:22 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 2842
Location: Kernow
Red Chopper wrote:
The Ginger Jedi wrote:
A little help needed from the bored Londoners please.

Going to the boxing Saturday week, are there any decent pubs less than half an hour tube ride from Wembley?

Really don't want to be drinking warm bottled lager in The Moore Spice.

Any decent recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

:shock: Feck me, how much did that cost?
While I'm here, what's the 'Faltering Fullback' in Finsbury like? Only i'm supposed to be meeting some mates from various parts, and someone decided it was worth a punt as it was fairly central and rugby related.

£85 per ticket


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:23 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 2842
Location: Kernow
happyhooker wrote:
The Ginger Jedi wrote:
The only way to get tickets was to get a ticket and coach package so we're staying in Reading and getting bussed in to Wembley for around 15:30-16:00. This gives about 2-3 hours to spend in a decent boozer.
Been to Wembley enough times to know that there is nothing of note in the vicinity.

Just want a good pub, possible beer garden, <20 mins on the Jubilee/Metropolitan line.

I'm struggling. Head to baker st???

Well if you get any inspiration any ideas would be brilliant. How much would a taxi to Camden cost?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:29 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 13314
The Ginger Jedi wrote:
happyhooker wrote:
The Ginger Jedi wrote:
The only way to get tickets was to get a ticket and coach package so we're staying in Reading and getting bussed in to Wembley for around 15:30-16:00. This gives about 2-3 hours to spend in a decent boozer.
Been to Wembley enough times to know that there is nothing of note in the vicinity.

Just want a good pub, possible beer garden, <20 mins on the Jubilee/Metropolitan line.

I'm struggling. Head to baker st???

Well if you get any inspiration any ideas would be brilliant. How much would a taxi to Camden cost?

Uber about £15-20 I'm guessing, but then you'd be in camden which I personally detest.
There's some decent places on the outskirts but Camden itself is feral. You've got the Edinburgh castle with a garden, but that can get packed.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:35 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 2842
Location: Kernow
happyhooker wrote:
The Ginger Jedi wrote:
happyhooker wrote:
The Ginger Jedi wrote:
The only way to get tickets was to get a ticket and coach package so we're staying in Reading and getting bussed in to Wembley for around 15:30-16:00. This gives about 2-3 hours to spend in a decent boozer.
Been to Wembley enough times to know that there is nothing of note in the vicinity.

Just want a good pub, possible beer garden, <20 mins on the Jubilee/Metropolitan line.

I'm struggling. Head to baker st???

Well if you get any inspiration any ideas would be brilliant. How much would a taxi to Camden cost?

Uber about £15-20 I'm guessing, but then you'd be in camden which I personally detest.
There's some decent places on the outskirts but Camden itself is feral. You've got the Edinburgh castle with a garden, but that can get packed.

Fair enough.
There's six of us so £20 is reasonable enough, anywhere decent that is a similar taxi ride away?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:41 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 13314
The Ginger Jedi wrote:
happyhooker wrote:
The Ginger Jedi wrote:
happyhooker wrote:
The Ginger Jedi wrote:
The only way to get tickets was to get a ticket and coach package so we're staying in Reading and getting bussed in to Wembley for around 15:30-16:00. This gives about 2-3 hours to spend in a decent boozer.
Been to Wembley enough times to know that there is nothing of note in the vicinity.

Just want a good pub, possible beer garden, <20 mins on the Jubilee/Metropolitan line.

I'm struggling. Head to baker st???

Well if you get any inspiration any ideas would be brilliant. How much would a taxi to Camden cost?

Uber about £15-20 I'm guessing, but then you'd be in camden which I personally detest.
There's some decent places on the outskirts but Camden itself is feral. You've got the Edinburgh castle with a garden, but that can get packed.

Fair enough.
There's six of us so £20 is reasonable enough, anywhere decent that is a similar taxi ride away?

It'd be more for six, standard ubers take 4.

Client's just arrived. I'll think and post later


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:27 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 9706
GJ

Last time we went to Wembley we headed to Baker St and drank in the Gunmakers which is pretty good. It's a walk but there are other decent looking boozers on the way as well.
There's also the option of getting to Bond St and going to the Golden Eagle, Cock and Lion and some of the other pubs round there which are also good. Equally it's not that far to London Bridge on the Jubilee, and you're spoilt for choice round there.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:35 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 3042
Seneca of the Night wrote:
BlackMac wrote:
My wife and I are coming down to London for a few nights and then on to Barcelona for our 25th anniversary. Thinking of booking somewhere like the Ivy for our anniversary meal. Any suggestions for somewhere else would be most appreciated. Not really interested in somewhere too formal where us country bumkins would feel uncomfortable.


Go to Frederick´s in Islington. It´s a bit of a change, but it´s in a great location on Camden Passage, and is a very lively and pleasant place. Do good cocktails too.
.


My wife likes it a lot, not so much I. The cocktails are good but the restaurant tends to be full of blue rinses.

Oldroyd is a good shout in that general area.

Liman is the current go to venue for the Islington set


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:57 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 3042
The Ginger Jedi wrote:
A little help needed from the bored Londoners please.

Going to the boxing Saturday week, are there any decent pubs less than half an hour tube ride from Wembley?

Really don't want to be drinking warm bottled lager in The Moore Spice.

Any decent recommendations would be greatly appreciated.


Good morning Mr Jedi - your best bet is refreshments by Baker St station before you head north

I would recommend 2 boozers in the general vicinity

The Volunteer - 2 minute walk from station

The Sir John Balcombe - 5 minute walk - off Dorset Sq


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:09 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 7125
The Ginger Jedi wrote:
happyhooker wrote:
The Ginger Jedi wrote:
The only way to get tickets was to get a ticket and coach package so we're staying in Reading and getting bussed in to Wembley for around 15:30-16:00. This gives about 2-3 hours to spend in a decent boozer.
Been to Wembley enough times to know that there is nothing of note in the vicinity.

Just want a good pub, possible beer garden, <20 mins on the Jubilee/Metropolitan line.

I'm struggling. Head to baker st???

Well if you get any inspiration any ideas would be brilliant. How much would a taxi to Camden cost?


If you're going by coach you'll likely be dropped in Wembley itself. Head through the industrial village/shopping centre London Designer Village (there are a few bars in here, they're uniformly awful but do sell beer) by the arena, turn left, right onto the High Rd and there are a few pubs down there towards Wembley Central.

My ticket was £64. Lower tier, what would be a few rows behind the goal in the football setup. Looking forward to it.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:48 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Jun 11, 2015 3:03 pm
Posts: 952
+1 for the Sir John Balcombe or ten mins walk try the Grazing Goat


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:50 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 13314
Silvio Berlusconi wrote:
The Ginger Jedi wrote:
A little help needed from the bored Londoners please.

Going to the boxing Saturday week, are there any decent pubs less than half an hour tube ride from Wembley?

Really don't want to be drinking warm bottled lager in The Moore Spice.

Any decent recommendations would be greatly appreciated.


Good morning Mr Jedi - your best bet is refreshments by Baker St station before you head north

I would recommend 2 boozers in the general vicinity

The Volunteer - 2 minute walk from station

The Sir John Balcombe - 5 minute walk - off Dorset Sq

Pretty much this.

Although if money is tight and lunnon prices scare you, there's a 'spoons by baker st. I'm not suggesting that btw!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 1:08 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 2842
Location: Kernow
happyhooker wrote:
Silvio Berlusconi wrote:
The Ginger Jedi wrote:
A little help needed from the bored Londoners please.

Going to the boxing Saturday week, are there any decent pubs less than half an hour tube ride from Wembley?

Really don't want to be drinking warm bottled lager in The Moore Spice.

Any decent recommendations would be greatly appreciated.


Good morning Mr Jedi - your best bet is refreshments by Baker St station before you head north

I would recommend 2 boozers in the general vicinity

The Volunteer - 2 minute walk from station

The Sir John Balcombe - 5 minute walk - off Dorset Sq

Pretty much this.

Although if money is tight and lunnon prices scare you, there's a 'spoons by baker st. I'm not suggesting that btw!

Ha ha, I've just survived a weekend with Dublin prices, think I can cope with a day in London!

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Whilst I've got peoples attention I'm up with the kids in August watching the Athletics, both sessions on Sunday 6th so will have a few hours to kill. Any child-friendly pubs near the Olympic Park or is that outside of bored members sphere of knowledge?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 1:08 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 2842
Location: Kernow
Silvio Berlusconi wrote:
The Ginger Jedi wrote:
A little help needed from the bored Londoners please.

Going to the boxing Saturday week, are there any decent pubs less than half an hour tube ride from Wembley?

Really don't want to be drinking warm bottled lager in The Moore Spice.

Any decent recommendations would be greatly appreciated.


Good morning Mr Jedi - your best bet is refreshments by Baker St station before you head north

I would recommend 2 boozers in the general vicinity

The Volunteer - 2 minute walk from station

The Sir John Balcombe - 5 minute walk - off Dorset Sq

:thumbup:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 1:08 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 2842
Location: Kernow
Brazil wrote:
GJ

Last time we went to Wembley we headed to Baker St and drank in the Gunmakers which is pretty good. It's a walk but there are other decent looking boozers on the way as well.
There's also the option of getting to Bond St and going to the Golden Eagle, Cock and Lion and some of the other pubs round there which are also good. Equally it's not that far to London Bridge on the Jubilee, and you're spoilt for choice round there.

:thumbup:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 1:10 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 5042
If you fancy Indian Food there is a good Indian sports pub/club up the road in Queensbury.
It's about 5 minutes north of Wembley Park on the Jubilee Line.
The Regency Club http://www.regencyclub.co.uk/

One time visiting my mate in Stanmore on a day when there was a cup final on in Wembley I saw a very large number of people making their way down from Stanmore station to the village. Mostly ManUre supporters with Manc accents. I was a bit mystified, but then I realised that they must be making their way back to their coach. I don't think there will be as many coaches for your gig, but you never know. Stanmore to Wembley Park is less than 15 mins.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 1:22 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 2842
Location: Kernow
Leinster in London wrote:
If you fancy Indian Food there is a good Indian sports pub/club up the road in Queensbury.
It's about 5 minutes north of Wembley Park on the Jubilee Line.
The Regency Club http://www.regencyclub.co.uk/

One time visiting my mate in Stanmore on a day when there was a cup final on in Wembley I saw a very large number of people making their way down from Stanmore station to the village. Mostly ManUre supporters with Manc accents. I was a bit mystified, but then I realised that they must be making their way back to their coach. I don't think there will be as many coaches for your gig, but you never know. Stanmore to Wembley Park is less than 15 mins.

Is the Regency Club members only or can anyone walk in off the street?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 1:28 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 5042
The Ginger Jedi wrote:
Leinster in London wrote:
If you fancy Indian Food there is a good Indian sports pub/club up the road in Queensbury.
It's about 5 minutes north of Wembley Park on the Jubilee Line.
The Regency Club http://www.regencyclub.co.uk/

One time visiting my mate in Stanmore on a day when there was a cup final on in Wembley I saw a very large number of people making their way down from Stanmore station to the village. Mostly ManUre supporters with Manc accents. I was a bit mystified, but then I realised that they must be making their way back to their coach. I don't think there will be as many coaches for your gig, but you never know. Stanmore to Wembley Park is less than 15 mins.

Is the Regency Club members only or can anyone walk in off the street?


It is not members only, you can walk in off the street, but I think you may have to ring the front door bell.
I just checked the opening times. It is open, but I have just seen they seem to serve food only between 12-3, then 6-11.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 1:34 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 13314
The Ginger Jedi wrote:
happyhooker wrote:
Silvio Berlusconi wrote:
The Ginger Jedi wrote:
A little help needed from the bored Londoners please.

Going to the boxing Saturday week, are there any decent pubs less than half an hour tube ride from Wembley?

Really don't want to be drinking warm bottled lager in The Moore Spice.

Any decent recommendations would be greatly appreciated.


Good morning Mr Jedi - your best bet is refreshments by Baker St station before you head north

I would recommend 2 boozers in the general vicinity

The Volunteer - 2 minute walk from station

The Sir John Balcombe - 5 minute walk - off Dorset Sq

Pretty much this.

Although if money is tight and lunnon prices scare you, there's a 'spoons by baker st. I'm not suggesting that btw!

Ha ha, I've just survived a weekend with Dublin prices, think I can cope with a day in London!

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Whilst I've got peoples attention I'm up with the kids in August watching the Athletics, both sessions on Sunday 6th so will have a few hours to kill. Any child-friendly pubs near the Olympic Park or is that outside of bored members sphere of knowledge?

I've got this.

Here east, in the north of the Olympic park is in the old communication centre.

Several really good bars/restaurants facing on to the river Lea. Grass area outside.

Particular shout out to mason and co, great beers and italian esque food and child friendly, Randy's wing bar (ronseal). There's also a breakfast club, a good Italian, and a bar specialising in pinball etc.

All without leaving the park


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 139 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Achahoish, AD345, Bert, Bindi, Bing [Bot], camroc1, Donger, Dork Lard, earl the beaver, feckwanker, figgypud, fraz, Google Adsense [Bot], Hong Kong, Jay Cee Gee, jdogscoop, Joost, kingswood, koroke hangareka, lorcanoworms, Mick Mannock, Mog The Almighty, Mr Fedora, Mr Mike, Mr. Very Popular, odd144, Plastic Sarrie, SEAsianExpat, Ted., Thomas, WelshmanJim, Wignu, Zakar and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group