planetf1.com

It is currently Thu Feb 21, 2019 4:22 pm

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please read the forum rules

Post subject: Ferrari SF 90
PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 10:37 am 

Well, seeing as how we've got a couple of forumers currently on strike, i'll kick this off.

Presenting the Ferrari SF90

https://e0.365dm.com/19/02/768x432/skys ... 0215101118

https://d3cm515ijfiu6w.cloudfront.net/wp-content/uploads/2019/02/15113306/Dzb79MmU8AA0mes.jpg-large.jpg

https://d3cm515ijfiu6w.cloudfront.net/wp-content/uploads/2019/02/15112919/Dzb61x6X0AAb_sT.jpg-large-700x367.jpg

http://www.automobilsport.com/uploads/_neustart28/f1-2019-1/ferrari-reveal-2.JPG

Thoughts?

Non RB, Merc, Ferrari podiums won in Hybrid era - 300 spots available, 23 won

2017 WCC CPTTC - Jalopy Racing (Herb & Me)

Last edited by Jezza13 on Fri Feb 15, 2019 10:57 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject: Re: Ferrari SF 90
PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 10:38 am 

Livery-wise that is stunning. :thumbup:
This and the Mclaren are my favourites so far.

PF1s Pick 10 Competition
Wins: 2 (Malaysia and Singapore 2012)
2011 Rubens Barrichello Trophy Winner (17th)
2012 Lewis Hamilton Trophy Winner (4th)
2013 Lewis Hamilton Trophy Winner (4th)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 10:42 am 

I like the black

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 10:50 am 

Bit too much branding stickers for my liking & the fluorescent lighting probably made it look more Orange during launch event. But I do like matte finish.
Clear evolution of last year with lot of similarities.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 10:55 am 

Yeah, very orange-y isn't it?

I do like it. I also kind of like the big lettered MM!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 11:12 am 

Apparently I'm going against the grain here but... I really don't like the black (which in some of the photos appears to be more of a slate grey) on the Mission Winnow logos, and it just kills the livery for me.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 11:30 am 

Bit boring for me....it just a red car. For a less cosmetic opinion those side pods are huge!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 11:51 am 

Siao7 wrote:

This is the foto without the lights - no ornage, bloody red :)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 12:15 pm 

Much better in proper lighting.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 1:55 pm 

Siao7 wrote:

You mean the cigarette advertisement? :nod:

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 2:10 pm 

Mayox wrote:
Siao7 wrote:

This is the foto without the lights - no ornage, bloody red :)

Thanks, I know it was the lights, it was a similar case last year or the year before I think, the car looked orange in the presentation

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 2:11 pm 

TedStriker wrote:
Siao7 wrote:

Haha, touche.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 2:37 pm 

The dark colour of the title sponsor, compared to last years white, is to represent how lungs change colour after a year of smoking.

Clever stuff!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 3:29 pm 

I hate to say that I really love this livery. The car itself is also very impressive though a bit more conservative than I was expecting. Front wing looks completely focused on maximizing outwash rather than maximizing downforce. The one area where they seem to be extremely aggressive is with the barge boards. Very far forward and very developed. Very tight rear as well. Also, I thought shark fins were banned lol.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 4:52 pm 

Asphalt_World wrote:
The dark colour of the title sponsor, compared to last years white, is to represent how lungs change colour after a year of smoking.

Clever stuff!

:)

As vehement as their denials were that the white Wishywashy Minnow branding in any way reflected the Marlboro chevron, one has to wonder whether the switch to black was a fairly last minute thing...

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 5:31 pm 

Don't like the, for Ferrari, unusual big and somewhat cumbersome inscription behind the drivers, but as long as Vettel wins, I will forgive them :)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 6:22 pm 

sandman1347 wrote:
I hate to say that I really love this livery. The car itself is also very impressive though a bit more conservative than I was expecting. Front wing looks completely focused on maximizing outwash rather than maximizing downforce. The one area where they seem to be extremely aggressive is with the barge boards. Very far forward and very developed. Very tight rear as well. Also, I thought shark fins were banned lol.

At least someone has commented on the cars potential rather than how red it is. It is a different design to the others but a development of last years car. Ferrari had good years in 2017 and 2018 with significant progress. Can you still make a big step forward without a full revamp?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 6:59 pm 

I like the black in the livery (although I think the Halo looked better red), although I'm not sold on the matte paint. It'll probably look better on track. For now, I think the matte makes it harder to discern the shape of the car in the pictures, which makes it more difficult to speculate on exactly what's changed. It definitely looks like an evolution of last year's car to me, though; hopefully that's a good thing, since last year's car was pretty good.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 8:46 pm 

The talk of this being an evolution of last years car is maybe a little worrying. Obviously that isn't necessarily a bad thing, but I'm not sure it talkies with what the former team principal was saying, basically that last years car wasn't quite good enough and it was causing Vettel to overdrive and make mistakes.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 9:01 pm 

BMWSauber84 wrote:
The talk of this being an evolution of last years car is maybe a little worrying. Obviously that isn't necessarily a bad thing, but I'm not sure it talkies with what the former team principal was saying, basically that last years car wasn't quite good enough and it was causing Vettel to overdrive and make mistakes.

That's nonsense. The car was the strongest in the field at more races than any other. Vettel's mistakes can't be blamed on the car.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 9:20 pm 

sandman1347 wrote:
BMWSauber84 wrote:

That's nonsense. The car was the strongest in the field at more races than any other. Vettel's mistakes can't be blamed on the car.

Yeah, agreed. If the car is simply as good as it was last year (relative to Mercedes/RBR), it's good enough to win. Considering that Merc seem to just be evolving their car every year, I think playing it safe and doubling down on what they've already got is a good play by Ferrari.

And of course the most important factor in the Ferrari v. Mercedes war is the bit that's hidden under the cover, so we'll find out in testing how that part of the development war has gone over the winter...

AUTOSPORT GP PREDICTOR: 2017 USA & P-F1 Champion | #2 in the world in 2017

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 9:44 pm 

Exediron wrote:
sandman1347 wrote:
BMWSauber84 wrote:

Yeah, agreed. If the car is simply as good as it was last year (relative to Mercedes/RBR), it's good enough to win. Considering that Merc seem to just be evolving their car every year, I think playing it safe and doubling down on what they've already got is a good play by Ferrari.

And of course the most important factor in the Ferrari v. Mercedes war is the bit that's hidden under the cover, so we'll find out in testing how that part of the development war has gone over the winter...

True, though I'd argue the most important factor in the Ferrari v. Mercedes war has been the guy behind the wheel. Perhaps that's where Ferrari will make a step forward this year...

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 1:49 am 

TedStriker wrote:
Siao7 wrote:

Couldn't be a sneaky reference to Marlboro now could it????

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 1:50 am 

wolfticket wrote:
Asphalt_World wrote:

Clever stuff!

:)

As vehement as their denials were that the white Wishywashy Minnow branding in any way reflected the Marlboro chevron, one has to wonder whether the switch to black was a fairly last minute thing...

:thumbup: :nod:

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 3:14 am 

8/10

Looks terrific and I especially like the front wing. I wonder who has the best concept? The regulations have made for several interesting front wing concepts.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 8:22 am 

Part of the front wing is very borrowed from McLaren. 😉

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 3:26 pm 

Exediron wrote:
sandman1347 wrote:
BMWSauber84 wrote:

A car that was beaten by a full second in Catalunya or a car that could not stretch its legs against RBR in quite a number of races asides mexico I cant remember races where the Mercedes struggled against RBR, yes Vettel made his mistakes but Ferrari will want to lead from the front and not have to struggle no one wins a championship coming from behind.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 9:44 am 

F1 MERCENARY wrote:
Part of the front wing is very borrowed from McLaren. 😉

Interesting observation, which part? I haven't noticed it. It would be nice to have a comparison of all the cars

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 10:01 am 

BMWSauber84 wrote:

yeah, but I think he was only talking about minor differences. Overall, the car was very competitive so it was a pretty good baseline to have, regardless of whether you think the car was the best or 2nd best.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 10:54 am 

Just an observation from all the cars so far, all the front wings are MASSIVE! It's amazing how much bigger they all look, even if they are simpler aero wise.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 2:09 pm 

minchy wrote:
Just an observation from all the cars so far, all the front wings are MASSIVE! It's amazing how much bigger they all look, even if they are simpler aero wise.

Let's see how many times they trip over them and break them off.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 6:07 pm 

SF90 looks strong. leads laps both days and time sheets regardless of fuel loads, tires, the teams know the true speed and everyone is saying they look fast. Need to keep the development up to high levels, so far so good.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 6:10 pm 

jimmyj wrote:
minchy wrote:

Let's see how many times they trip over them and break them off.

First few races could certainly be intersting... Especially with the amount of rookies this year who will no doubt be pushing themselves to the limits trying to prove themselves

PF1 Autosport GP 2017: 3rd Place