planetf1.com

It is currently Fri Nov 16, 2018 8:02 pm

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please read the forum rules

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 10:08 pm 

Vettel's relationships with the two men who have probably been his biggest rivals over the seasons, Alonso and Hamilton are very contrasting (You could make a case for Webber but that was magnified by being teammates).

I watched a snippet of an interview with Alonso just after Seb wrapped up title number 4.While he said that Seb would go down as one of the legends, he subsequently warned that those 4 titles would be a burden when Vettel found himself in a car like everybody elses. I just don't get the imoression that Alonso has ever had a great deal of respect for his abilities. It seemed the animosity was a bit one sided, although Horner was the one who'd poke back at Alonso.

Vettel and Hamilton have had ups and downs and Hamilton clearly believes he is better than Seb. But outside of the heat of battle they have tended to say some very warm things about each other. In 2013 Hamilton called him humble and deserving of success as I recall. The respect still being there despite being head to head in two championship fights in a role is refreshing.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 3:19 am 

BMWSauber84 wrote:
Vettel's relationships with the two men who have probably been his biggest rivals over the seasons, Alonso and Hamilton are very contrasting (You could make a case for Webber but that was magnified by being teammates).

I watched a snippet of an interview with Alonso just after Seb wrapped up title number 4.While he said that Seb would go down as one of the legends, he subsequently warned that those 4 titles would be a burden when Vettel found himself in a car like everybody elses. I just don't get the imoression that Alonso has ever had a great deal of respect for his abilities. It seemed the animosity was a bit one sided, although Horner was the one who'd poke back at Alonso.

Vettel and Hamilton have had ups and downs and Hamilton clearly believes he is better than Seb. But outside of the heat of battle they have tended to say some very warm things about each other. In 2013 Hamilton called him humble and deserving of success as I recall. The respect still being there despite being head to head in two championship fights in a role is refreshing.

Yeah Vettel is a 4 time WDC and one of the best drivers on the grid and should be respected as such.

2013: 5th Place
2014: Champion
2015: 3rd Place
2016: 4th Place

2017: 9th Place
2018: Currently 3rd

Wins: Canada 2018, Abu Dhabi 2017
Podiums: (6)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:10 am 

BMWSauber84 wrote:

To be fair Alonso has said some nice things in the past, around the halfway point in 2013 I seem to remember him saying something like "last year he won because he had the best car, this year he's winning because he's been the best driver".

I don't think it helped matters that Vettel moved to Ferrari just as they were on the up and started lapping Alonso, that understandably cant have felt good. I do think the occasional digs at Vettel are a shame though because as you say it all seems a bit one sided and I don't think Alonso does himself justice when he says them.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 1:07 pm 

Black_Flag_11 wrote:
BMWSauber84 wrote:

To be fair Alonso has said some nice things in the past, around the halfway point in 2013 I seem to remember him saying something like "last year he won because he had the best car, this year he's winning because he's been the best driver".

I don't think it helped matters that Vettel moved to Ferrari just as they were on the up and started lapping Alonso, that understandably cant have felt good. I do think the occasional digs at Vettel are a shame though because as you say it all seems a bit one sided and I don't think Alonso does himself justice when he says them.

I think it can be seen as jealousy from Alonso, some of things he says fast propels him to being a Stewart/JV kind of figure.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 12:01 am 

pokerman wrote:
I think it can be seen as jealousy from Alonso, some of things he says fast propels him to being a Stewart/JV kind of figure.

There's no similiarity between being a Jackie Stewart and being a Jacques Villeneuve.

AUTOSPORT GP PREDICTOR: 2017 United States Champion! (world #2)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 12:44 pm 

Exediron wrote:
pokerman wrote:

There's no similiarity between being a Jackie Stewart and being a Jacques Villeneuve.

...as in giving opinions that nobody really wants to listen to?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 2:09 pm 

pokerman wrote:
Exediron wrote:
pokerman wrote:

This makes more sense, I was confused as well as to what you meant!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 2:40 pm 

Siao7 wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Exediron wrote:
pokerman wrote:

This makes more sense, I was confused as well as to what you meant!

Fair enough :)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 12:14 am 

Someone want to explain to me what happened to Sebastian's driving talent this afternoon??? :?

That was abysmal!! :uhoh:

Max's stupidity sucked all the oxygen out of the room after the race. Didn't hear why Vettel couldn't get out of his own way.

Looked to me like he had trouble selecting a gear at the start of the pace lap.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 12:26 am 

Mort Canard wrote:
Someone want to explain to me what happened to Sebastian's driving talent this afternoon??? :?

That was abysmal!! :uhoh:

Max's stupidity sucked all the oxygen out of the room after the race. Didn't hear why Vettel couldn't get out of his own way.

Looked to me like he had trouble selecting a gear at the start of the pace lap.

Malfunctioning sensor on the formation lap which apparently affected his race pace.

2016: 24th place
2017: 4th place

Wins: Spain 2016, Canada 2017, Malaysia 2017
Podiums: 2nd Germany 2016, 3rd Mexico 2016

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 12:26 am 

Soft tyres weren’t an advantage after all. Valtteri getting past at turn 1 threw the strategy out the window.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 12:43 am 

shay550 wrote:
Soft tyres weren’t an advantage after all. Valtteri getting past at turn 1 threw the strategy out the window.

Yeah, Kimi had those problems too. Not often you see Arrivabene instruct Kimi to go ahead of Seb tho.

Wonder what kind of sensor was out of whack???

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 12:48 am 

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/ferr ... l/3212426/

2016: 24th place
2017: 4th place

Wins: Spain 2016, Canada 2017, Malaysia 2017
Podiums: 2nd Germany 2016, 3rd Mexico 2016

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 12:57 am 

F1_Ernie wrote:
https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/ferrari-sensor-problem-hurt-vettel/3212426/

Thanks! Not a lot of information but probably as much explanation as we are going to get from Ferrari.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 11:05 am 

Mort Canard wrote:
F1_Ernie wrote:
https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/ferrari-sensor-problem-hurt-vettel/3212426/

Thanks! Not a lot of information but probably as much explanation as we are going to get from Ferrari.

Because he does not cry to the press about every little problem that affects his race.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 4:32 pm 

What is the general feeling here on Vettel's level of performance this season? For all the mistakes made, I still only think it was a bad season by his standards, and that compared to the vast majority of the grid he still performed better, and still has generally metronomic and strong pace. The spotlight is on him because of the battle at the front of the grid, but a bad season for Vettel is a good one for most other drivers on the grid.

Thoughts?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 5:00 pm 

Invade wrote:
What is the general feeling here on Vettel's level of performance this season? For all the mistakes made, I still only think it was a bad season by his standards, and that compared to the vast majority of the grid he still performed better, and still has generally metronomic and strong pace. The spotlight is on him because of the battle at the front of the grid, but a bad season for Vettel is a good one for most other drivers on the grid.

Thoughts?

Well, he is the guy in the fastest car (or joint fastest, let's not get down to that now), it is probably "easy" to say that he has metronomic and strong pace. But he has managed only 5 wins so far, hasn't he? In the end of the day, that's what matters. Vettel just didn't seem to be 100% on, he had some mistakes and combined with the Ferrari blunders (and their development issue), he lost the WDC. It is not that he drove badly per ce, but he did drop the ball in the races he should have cleaned up.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 5:06 pm 

Didn't make the most of the car he had underneath him when it was on top, and that came back to really bite him when Ferrari went off the boil. Germany was the standout error, though even with that it's not been an absolutely terrible year. 6/10 for me, probably on reflection will end up being one of the worst years of his career purely based on what could have been.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 7:45 pm 

Invade wrote:

Thoughts?

In the first half of the year I felt he was driving quickly but erratically, but lately I have the feeling he's not even driving quickly. Kimi has been beating him with far more frequency than I would expect considering the usual gap between the two.

AUTOSPORT GP PREDICTOR: 2017 United States Champion! (world #2)