planetf1.com

It is currently Fri Nov 16, 2018 12:37 pm

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please read the forum rules

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 10:21 pm 

mas wrote:
Pressure. He just has to mature a bit more over the off-season, take stock of the whole season like Lewis did after 2011 and genuinely think where he could have made better decisions and come back better. His judgement has always lagged his pace, time to change that now.

Lewis was 26 back then, and in his 5th season of F1. Vettel is 31, and coming to the close of his 11th season in F1. I don't see it as very likely that he'll suddenly discover a trove of mental fortitude he didn't have before.

AUTOSPORT GP PREDICTOR: 2017 United States Champion! (world #2)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 12:28 am 

Exediron wrote:
Honestly, I can barely believe how unstuck Vettel has become. It's happened before in single races, but it's just every race now since Belgium, and that was really more of a one-off in between Germany and Italy. He needs to get his head screwed on, and fast, if he wants to still be considered at the top level of the sport.

This is his worst ever season IMO, he really needs to come back strong next year as Leclerc isn't going to be a pushover. With Kimi he can put in a terrible season and still finish ahead, no guarantees of that next year and if his teammate starts pulling ahead in the standings things will only get worse.

I have a feeling there may be some unrest behind the scenes at Ferrari, there were rumours earlier in the year voiced on Sky that Arrivabene wasn't happy with Vettel calling the Ferrari pit wall out on their strategies.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 1:41 am 

Exediron wrote:
mas wrote:
Pressure. He just has to mature a bit more over the off-season, take stock of the whole season like Lewis did after 2011 and genuinely think where he could have made better decisions and come back better. His judgement has always lagged his pace, time to change that now.

Lewis was 26 back then, and in his 5th season of F1. Vettel is 31, and coming to the close of his 11th season in F1. I don't see it as very likely that he'll suddenly discover a trove of mental fortitude he didn't have before.

:thumbup: :nod:

Last edited by Mort Canard on Mon Oct 22, 2018 2:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 2:00 am 

Rosberg pulled himself together at the same age to win the WDC. Vettel has to lose his impulsiveness and be more calculating like Lewis is now. Why does he continue to take unnecessary high risks in wheel to wheel combat ?

Basically against peer opposition his overtakes are generally not under control and require cooperation from his opponent which is always hopeful thinking. Frankly his driving hasn't deserved the WDC this year, go away and do some hard reflecting over the off season and come back a more complete driver mentally next year.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 2:38 am 

F1_Ernie wrote:
Mort Canard wrote:
Well you can now add two more mistakes to the 2018 total for Seb just from this weekend.

Failing to slow down for he red flag on Friday put Seb down the grid in 5th.

Starting from fifth meant that he now had to pass Daniel Ricciardo, Valtteri Bottas, Lewis Hamilton, & Kimi Raikkonen. Trying to pass Daniel Seb took too much speed into the corner and couldn't rotate the car enough by the apex, so he banged wheels with Daniel and ended up back in 15th place. Yes it was a racing incident but it was one of Seb's own making. He didn't need to be back there battling with Daniel & he needed to try a much higher percentage pass on Daniel.

If you look at Lewis' battle with Max in the last couple of laps you can see that Lewis knew when to give up and take what he could get. Sebastian also executed a much better pass at the end on Valtteri. He waited and planned his way by and set it up so there was not much Valtteri could do to stop it.

Bottas went off so the pass ended up pretty easy.

Bottas went off because Seb had been pressuring him for a couple of laps. That was an error forced by Sebs driving. Would not have been as easy if Seb and tried to muscle his way by when he first came within striking distance of Valtteri.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 6:21 am 

Good recovery from Sebastian, hope he can resolve what ever problem he has.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 11:08 am 

Vettel has had a good season is a prime thing to say right now. And frankly laughable.

Yet another mistake by Seb.

Edit* Sorry forgot to say two costly mistakes this weekend costing him a win.

Last edited by Teddy007 on Mon Oct 22, 2018 11:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 11:09 am 

Black_Flag_11 wrote:
Exediron wrote:
Honestly, I can barely believe how unstuck Vettel has become. It's happened before in single races, but it's just every race now since Belgium, and that was really more of a one-off in between Germany and Italy. He needs to get his head screwed on, and fast, if he wants to still be considered at the top level of the sport.

This is his worst ever season IMO, he really needs to come back strong next year as Leclerc isn't going to be a pushover. With Kimi he can put in a terrible season and still finish ahead, no guarantees of that next year and if his teammate starts pulling ahead in the standings things will only get worse.

I have a feeling there may be some unrest behind the scenes at Ferrari, there were rumours earlier in the year voiced on Sky that Arrivabene wasn't happy with Vettel calling the Ferrari pit wall out on their strategies.

I think you're right. Every top driver is allowed to have a bad season, but unless Vettel pulls it out next year, it might be his third (this year, and 2014 being the others). The hype around Leclerc is real, and if he does a number on Vettel then I'm afraid it will probably relegate him to a lower tier of driver calibre. Interesting to listen to Brundle yesterday - Brundle was a staunch defender of Vettel when many were saying he was a one trick pony, and I sensed a bit of disappointment and perhaps a realisation that perhaps it was a lot to do with that Red Bull, and a sizeable dose of favouritism over Webber.

The Ferrari is faster, more reliable and more consistent this year than last, and Vettel's points tally is around about the same. Even taking into consideration a couple of team blunders (evened out somewhat by Mercs similar early season strategy mistakes), it doesn't reflect well. Vettel has been really poor this year, and next year might just define his legacy in the sport.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 11:17 am 

gregs51 wrote:
I think you're right. Every top driver is allowed to have a bad season, but unless Vettel pulls it out next year, it might be his third (this year, and 2014 being the others).

2nd year Ferrari have had the chance to win a title for quite a while. 2nd year Ferrari have fluffed their lines.

And a major culprit of that.. is Sebastian Vettel (he's even admitted it).

Also, most drivers tend to have off seasons quite early on in their career and usually when they don't title challenge. Some one mentioned Lewis 2011. Mclaren were among best of the rest competition. Vettel/RBR walked that season. Reliability also hampered RBR from thrashing the field. Webber also dipped performances lower than 2010 when it all came down to the last race.

Lewis had only been in F1 for a few seasons..

Vettel is having another off season when he should be at his peak. Against a team mate that barely competes with him. In a car that can fight for the championship...... and should be leading it.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 11:30 am 

:thumbup:
mas wrote:
Rosberg pulled himself together at the same age to win the WDC. Vettel has to lose his impulsiveness and be more calculating like Lewis is now. Why does he continue to take unnecessary high risks in wheel to wheel combat ?

Basically against peer opposition his overtakes are generally not under control and require cooperation from his opponent which is always hopeful thinking. Frankly his driving hasn't deserved the WDC this year, go away and do some hard reflecting over the off season and come back a more complete driver mentally next year.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 11:34 am 

mas wrote:

I know its not the place but that simply isn't true, the opposite is true. Rosberg had more collisions and got more penalties for driving infringements in 2016 than any other season. He was very clumsy and it actually was a net loss of points from being more bullish.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 11:36 am 

Vettel can bounce back, he drove an amazing first 2/3's of 2017 and an amazing first half of 2018. He has it in him, he just needs to piece it together.

A reminder that they've all had terrible seasons - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MshdLhvTmoQ

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 11:43 am 

Austin should have been an easy win for Vettel.

2013: 5th Place
2014: Champion
2015: 3rd Place
2016: 4th Place

2017: 9th Place
2018: Currently 3rd

Wins: Canada 2018, Abu Dhabi 2017
Podiums: (6)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 12:51 pm 

pokerman wrote:

No it should have been an easy win for Hamilton.

PF1 Pick 10 Competition 2016: CHAMPION (2 wins, 8 podiums)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 2:46 pm 

Covalent wrote:
pokerman wrote:

I guess Vettel didn't have the faster car and did nothing wrong throughout the weekend?

I see you posted this on the Hamilton thread as well, persistent if nothing else.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 3:01 pm 

Johnson wrote:
Vettel can bounce back, he drove an amazing first 2/3's of 2017 and an amazing first half of 2018. He has it in him, he just needs to piece it together.

A reminder that they've all had terrible seasons - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MshdLhvTmoQ

Can't agree with this. The first half of this season included races like Baku, France and Germany; where Vettel absolutely threw away a ton of points.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 4:08 pm 

gregs51 wrote:
Black_Flag_11 wrote:
Exediron wrote:

I think you're right. Every top driver is allowed to have a bad season, but unless Vettel pulls it out next year, it might be his third (this year, and 2014 being the others). The hype around Leclerc is real, and if he does a number on Vettel then I'm afraid it will probably relegate him to a lower tier of driver calibre. Interesting to listen to Brundle yesterday - Brundle was a staunch defender of Vettel when many were saying he was a one trick pony, and I sensed a bit of disappointment and perhaps a realisation that perhaps it was a lot to do with that Red Bull, and a sizeable dose of favouritism over Webber.

The Ferrari is faster, more reliable and more consistent this year than last, and Vettel's points tally is around about the same. Even taking into consideration a couple of team blunders (evened out somewhat by Mercs similar early season strategy mistakes), it doesn't reflect well. Vettel has been really poor this year, and next year might just define his legacy in the sport.

What did Brundle say? I read nothing in any article.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 4:16 pm 

sandman1347 wrote:
Johnson wrote:

Can't agree with this. The first half of this season included races like Baku, France and Germany; where Vettel absolutely threw away a ton of points.

My bad, I meant the first half of the races we’ve had so far. But I’m still wrong. Basically a good first 7 races. Which when the season is finished will be a good first 1/3.

Baku, I think is the least of his errors, the SC robbed him and he took a risk to try to get his win back and what would likely be his only chance. It was early in the year, he lead the championship and he seemed to have the best car at that point so went for the win - hence why he laughed about it after the race knowing he was in a very strong position WDC wise.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 4:27 pm 

pokerman wrote:
Covalent wrote:
pokerman wrote:

I guess Vettel didn't have the faster car and did nothing wrong throughout the weekend?

I see you posted this on the Hamilton thread as well, persistent if nothing else.

Yes even after Vettel's mistakes Hamilton wasn't able to win in the (joint) fastest car. His teammate was even told to move over twice. Not his finest drive which even you acknowledge.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 4:47 pm 

Mercedes didn't have the fastest strategy thats for sure, doing an extra pit stop made sure he couldn't win. Not sure that is down to Hamilton.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 4:51 pm 

Covalent wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Covalent wrote:
pokerman wrote:

Yes even after Vettel's mistakes Hamilton wasn't able to win in the (joint) fastest car. His teammate was even told to move over twice. Not his finest drive which even you acknowledge.

I don't think Hamilton drove to bad, wasn't surprised Hamilton got beaten at the start with Kimi on the US and inside line. Once in second Hamilton wasn't beating Kimi in a straight one stop race. Mercedes went for something different but left the second pitstop too late, Mercedes lost a place but not really much more Hamilton could have done. Overtaking was hard and the car behind was affected by turbulent air from 5 seconds.

2016: 24th place
2017: 4th place

Wins: Spain 2016, Canada 2017, Malaysia 2017
Podiums: 2nd Germany 2016, 3rd Mexico 2016

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 4:54 pm 

Option or Prime wrote:
Mercedes didn't have the fastest strategy thats for sure, doing an extra pit stop made sure he couldn't win. Not sure that is down to Hamilton.

The strategy wasn't bad, you keep the same strategy as Ferrari and you finish second anyway. Mercedes just left it too late for the second pitstop, needed to come out ahead of Verstappen while still having some sort of advantage with tyres.

2016: 24th place
2017: 4th place

Wins: Spain 2016, Canada 2017, Malaysia 2017
Podiums: 2nd Germany 2016, 3rd Mexico 2016

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 6:05 pm 

mas wrote:

Yeah, the wheel to wheel stuff is funny because it's identical outcomes with him spinning around in Italy, Japan, and now the U.S. It's like he pulls out of the move at the last minute before there is further contact.

I'm sure by now he's receiving some sports psychology counseling. Maybe Ferrari should bring an older driver like Prost, Barrichello, or Massa who's available during the weekends for the drivers to talk too. Nikki Lauda's presence made both Lewis and Nico better.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 6:56 pm 

Covalent wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Covalent wrote:
pokerman wrote:

I still don't understand why you look to criticise Hamilton but give Vettel a free pass unless I have missed posts were you criticised Vettel?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 7:23 pm 

pokerman wrote:
Covalent wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Covalent wrote:
pokerman wrote:

I still don't understand why you look to criticise Hamilton but give Vettel a free pass unless I have missed posts were you criticised Vettel?

Already at Suzuka I lambasted vettel over his mistakes and that Lewis has clearly been the better driver and deserves the championship. Didn't feel the need to kick the man any further now that he's even more down, I thought it went without saying he didn't deliver in Austin?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 10:42 pm 

Covalent wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Covalent wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Covalent wrote:

Already at Suzuka I lambasted vettel over his mistakes and that Lewis has clearly been the better driver and deserves the championship. Didn't feel the need to kick the man any further now that he's even more down, I thought it went without saying he didn't deliver in Austin?

There was far more critical posts than my simple "Vettel should have won the Austin race", yet that was the only post that seemed to warrant a reply from you with a somewhat tit for tat reply with me being a Hamilton supporter, however it's a view shared by people that you would consider know more than me so I don't understand why it would be seen as being over critical?

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/13955 ... -win-us-gp

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 12:28 am 
Site Admin

pokerman wrote:
Covalent wrote:

There was far more critical posts than my simple "Vettel should have won the Austin race", yet that was the only post that seemed to warrant a reply from you with a somewhat tit for tat reply with me being a Hamilton supporter, however it's a view shared by people that you would consider know more than me so I don't understand why it would be seen as being over critical?

When your argument has reached the point that its bouncing back and forth between threads but isn't going anywhere, it's probably reached the point for you both to call time on it.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 8:12 am 

pokerman wrote:
Covalent wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Covalent wrote:
pokerman wrote:

Bit doubly-standardy aren't you here Poker? Haven't you done exactly the same here? Your post was "Austin should have been an easy win for Vettel".

Vettel had a penalty and the compulsory first lap incident, he was always going to be disadvantaged compared to the other up front. On the flip side, Hamilton being on the pole and not winning could be open to criticism, no?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 8:28 am 

Mod Aqua wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Covalent wrote:

When your argument has reached the point that its bouncing back and forth between threads but isn't going anywhere, it's probably reached the point for you both to call time on it.

Apologies mod, I was reading from the top of the thread and then came across your message

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 8:46 am 

I don't know why I get the feeling Vettel might retire at the end of the year. Same for Lewis.

Ever since Nico did it, whenever we get to September I ask myself who will it be this year.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 9:13 am 

paul_gmb wrote:
I don't know why I get the feeling Vettel might retire at the end of the year. Same for Lewis.

Ever since Nico did it, whenever we get to September I ask myself who will it be this year.

I get your drift but I think both have another year in them, I think a lot depends on Verstappen and LeClerc, if they become WDC contenders have SV and LH the fight and desire to carry on. So much depends on the mechanical hardware on offer in my view.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 9:21 am 

Option or Prime wrote:
paul_gmb wrote:

I get your drift but I think both have another year in them, I think a lot depends on Verstappen and LeClerc, if they become WDC contenders have SV and LH the fight and desire to carry on. So much depends on the mechanical hardware on offer in my view.

Not this September in my view. They have the two top cars and they both have something to prove. Well, Hamilton probably less to prove, but I think he will chase the WDC No.6. As for Seb, well he has to prove a lot, doesn't he?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 9:33 am 

Option or Prime wrote:
paul_gmb wrote:

I think as long as Hamilton has the tools to fight for a WDC he will carry on, but I don't see him hanging around for the occasional podium or lucky win. As for other interests I think he's proved that he can pursue them and chase a WDC.

I believe next year will be crucial for Seb, whether within Ferrari or F1 itself. Whilst I don't see retirement on the horizon this year, as some are hinting at, I did take a moment when Seb unusually for him turned up at the race this weekend with his wife. Was he going to announce his retirement if Lewis won the WDC? But listening to Coultard and Brundle on Seb seemingly not being that comfortable within the current Ferrari environment I guess he wanted a friendly face close by.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:33 am 

paul_gmb wrote:

I see no reason why they will not see out there contracts, who would have thought someone like Kimi who some of us might have thought was just in it for the money, would race on into his 40s?

Once you stop being a F1 driver then anything else might feel like second best unless you are basically just burnt out.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 1:35 pm 

Interesting comments from DC:

https://www.gpfans.com/en/articles/3105 ... opes-fade/
Quote:
"He says he's tired - when you're tired you go for your comfort blanket. I've seen him around Red Bull more often in the last few races than at any other time that he's been at Ferrari.

"So he's not knuckling down with his comfort blanket at Ferrari. To me it looks like he's not only tired of the recovery drives, he's just not as happy within the team as he was at Red Bull."

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 4:24 pm 

Black_Flag_11 wrote:

Quote:
"He says he's tired - when you're tired you go for your comfort blanket. I've seen him around Red Bull more often in the last few races than at any other time that he's been at Ferrari.

"So he's not knuckling down with his comfort blanket at Ferrari. To me it looks like he's not only tired of the recovery drives, he's just not as happy within the team as he was at Red Bull."

I think it's fair to say there is a lot more pressure at Ferrari than at Red Bull, then factor in he has not had the comforting car advantages he had at Red Bull which always makes things that bit easier.

It's all about winning and if he was winning at Ferrari I'm sure he wouldn't be feeling as drained, as far as I can see Ferrari still have the best car so theoretically they will take that into next season.

The best place for him is still at Ferrari, they should have a title challenging car next season, would he really want to go up against Verstappen at Red Bull or Hamilton at Mercedes?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 5:41 pm 

Another year like this one will cement peoples' opinion that he is/was not a "great" - it will confirm that his successes were "only down to having an overwhelmingly good car". Think of Button and his one world championship in a great car, and how Schumaker's reputation is slipping nowadays (both to the cars' greatness and his tactics).

IF he wants to keep a lasting reputation he needs a good season next year, cut out the mistakes and childish behaviour.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 6:13 pm 

pokerman wrote:
Black_Flag_11 wrote:

Quote:

I think it's fair to say there is a lot more pressure at Ferrari than at Red Bull, then factor in he has not had the comforting car advantages he had at Red Bull which always makes things that bit easier.

It's all about winning and if he was winning at Ferrari I'm sure he wouldn't be feeling as drained, as far as I can see Ferrari still have the best car so theoretically they will take that into next season.

The best place for him is still at Ferrari, they should have a title challenging car next season, would he really want to go up against Verstappen at Red Bull or Hamilton at Mercedes?

Seb is probably going to have enough challenges to deal with from young Charles.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 6:30 pm 

Mort Canard wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Black_Flag_11 wrote:

Quote:

Seb is probably going to have enough challenges to deal with from young Charles.

I think Leclerc is still unproven and many of his mistakes kind of fly under the radar.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 8:11 pm 

Greenman wrote:

Another year like this one will cement peoples' opinion that he is/was not a "great" - it will confirm that his successes were "only down to having an overwhelmingly good car". Think of Button and his one world championship in a great car, and how Schumaker's reputation is slipping nowadays (both to the cars' greatness and his tactics).

IF he wants to keep a lasting reputation he needs a good season next year, cut out the mistakes and childish behaviour.

Seriously???

Where is Schumi's reputation slipping due to "cars greatness". If that is the case Hamilton And Vettel's reputations are in trouble too! And Schumi's reputation is slipping nowadays dije to "his tactics"? Has something new been learned about Schumi's "tactics" in the last several years to cause this nowadays slip in reputation?

BTW, Vettel didn't have four years of having "an overwhelmingly good car".

Last edited by Blake on Wed Oct 24, 2018 12:54 am, edited 1 time in total.