planetf1.com

It is currently Sat Nov 23, 2019 1:05 am

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please read the forum rules

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:48 am 

Black_Flag_11 wrote:
AngusWolfe wrote:
Hugely impressed by Bottas this year. I've always liked him, but this year he's become one of my favourites. He's now my pick to be the next new world champion, after Rosberg.

I'd love for you to be correct but I think (provided they fall into the right cars) he may have to go head to head with a certain mr Ricciardo for that honor.

The future looks bright :]

Well, I'd originally said the next new world champion, then I remembered Rosberg hasn't got one yet. If I put him behind someone else it isn't really much of an accolade.

You're right though, it'll all depend on who has the better car where and when.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 8:11 am 

Laura23 wrote:
He was my team mate at that table footba event Martini threw before the British Grand Prix so I hope he does very well!!

He was a very nice chap too.

Nice, tell us a little bit more about this event?

PF1 Pick 10 Competition 2016: CHAMPION (2 wins, 8 podiums)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 12:22 pm 

It does seem that Bottas has made a big step up for 2014; the team talk of his level-headedness and he certainly is looking good for more success if his car continues to be is fast enough.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 6:39 am 

Once again Valtteri will miss out on a practice session when Wolff is stepping in... I really can't see whom (besides Suzie or whoever is stepping in) this - in my opinion way too frequent - arrengement is supposed to benefit. As Pirelli says:

Quote:
“It’s a pleasure to go back to Hockenheim after two years away,” motorsport director Paul Hembery says, “but this increases the workload for ourselves and the teams as the only concrete F1 data we currently have is two years old - when the cars and the tyres were very different. So we expect the Friday free practice sessions to be extremely important, as the teams use the time to assimilate as much relevant information as they can. By Friday afternoon, we should have a clearer idea of how many pit stops we might expect."

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 10:07 am 

I understand why Williams run Suzie, but the fact it's always Bottas that misses the session does seem unfair. I think I read it was in Massa's contract that he doesn't miss any though.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 10:09 am 

AngusWolfe wrote:
I understand why Williams run Suzie, but the fact it's always Bottas that misses the session does seem unfair. I think I read it was in Massa's contract that he doesn't miss any though.

Why do you think they run her?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 10:25 am 

Covalent wrote:
AngusWolfe wrote:

Advertising and Marketing. Last year the fact that a woman was doing a test in an F1 car made the news, and a documentary. Now she's driving during a race weekend. She has a super licence. It's possible she could drive a race at one point if one of the boys are injured. It's a PR dream. In an age where equality is key, a team with a female team boss in Claire, and a driver in Wolff, they can pretty much honestly say women are equally treated in Williams. That is a massive plus for many sponsors. I for one, would be proud to sponsor Williams.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 10:32 am 

AngusWolfe wrote:
Covalent wrote:
AngusWolfe wrote:

Advertising and Marketing. Last year the fact that a woman was doing a test in an F1 car made the news, and a documentary. Now she's driving during a race weekend. She has a super licence. It's possible she could drive a race at one point if one of the boys are injured. It's a PR dream. In an age where equality is key, a team with a female team boss in Claire, and a driver in Wolff, they can pretty much honestly say women are equally treated in Williams. That is a massive plus for many sponsors. I for one, would be proud to sponsor Williams.

I guess you're right... a shame that they do it at the expense of performance as it doesn't directly help Valtteri's preparations and the general parts testing.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 10:33 am 

As the FRIC thread is closed, I'll post it here: Valtteri reckons the removal of the system costs them hundreths of a second per lap, or at most one or two tenths, depending on the circuit. And that the ban should affect other teams more as Williams don't have a "proper" FRIC system.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 10:57 am 

Covalent wrote:
AngusWolfe wrote:
Covalent wrote:
AngusWolfe wrote:

I guess you're right... a shame that they do it at the expense of performance as it doesn't directly help Valtteri's preparations and the general parts testing.

It is, but Williams don't have Maldonado's money anymore, and are more competitive, so need that money to stay competitive. It's not every race, and last week it didn't seem hurt him. This week may be different because of FRIC and tyres, but Wolff was already confirmed to do the practice, not much they could do.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 11:15 am 

AngusWolfe wrote:
Covalent wrote:
AngusWolfe wrote:
Covalent wrote:
AngusWolfe wrote:

It is, but Williams don't have Maldonado's money anymore, and are more competitive, so need that money to stay competitive. It's not every race, and last week it didn't seem hurt him. This week may be different because of FRIC and tyres, but Wolff was already confirmed to do the practice, not much they could do.

I wonder if they're contractually bound to give her practice sessions? It wouldn't be unprecedented to change testing line-ups last minute.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 12:21 pm 

After her practice was cut short at silverstone it'd be harsh on her to tell her she couldn't drive. Plus, I suspect the engine deal with Mercedes has something to do with Toto. Wouldn't want to upset him. For Bottas, their love isn't always on time.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 10:45 pm 

Nobody appreciated my brilliant 80s rock gag, but a very good performance to hold of Hamilton today. Miles ahead of everyone else too. Not pretty, but good show. He's fast approaching becoming my favourite driver overall.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 12:05 am 
Austria .. 3rd
Silverstone .. 2nd
Germany .. 2nd

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 2:00 am 

He is impressive, and impressively keeping humble!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 2:19 am 

Seems like a nice guy. Races pretty well. 3 podiums now. A bit more Mercedes bad luck and I can see Bottas with a win. Not sure the Williams can really beat the Mercs without a little extra luck.

I predict he'll win a few races at least.
Probably be a championship contender if he hits a really competitive team.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 2:28 am 

mac_d wrote:
Seems like a nice guy. Races pretty well. 3 podiums now. A bit more Mercedes bad luck and I can see Bottas with a win. Not sure the Williams can really beat the Mercs without a little extra luck.

Races pretty well?! Not sure what it takes to impress you, but blowing his far more experienced almost WDC teammate out of the water is enough for me. But to be so very strong without displaying any typical rookie weaknesses makes me think this guy is very, very special.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 5:27 am 

Billy wrote:
mac_d wrote:

Races pretty well?! Not sure what it takes to impress you, but blowing his far more experienced almost WDC teammate out of the water is enough for me. But to be so very strong without displaying any typical rookie weaknesses makes me think this guy is very, very special.

Indeed. If this is not great racecraft, then I don't know what is:

Bottas: “I actually saw his front left [tyre] in my mirror completely grained and I knew that he would struggle in the last two corners so I tried to pull a bit of a gap there and always get a good exit out of the final corner, Turn One and Turn Two leading onto the back straight.
“It didn’t really matter if he was close to me in the final sector as there is nowhere to overtake so I just would rather focus on the places that matter.”

http://www1.skysports.com/f1/report/279 ... germany-gp

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 7:33 am 

Bottas shows determination and patience and seems to have a good humour too , according to Claire Williams who said in interview, after the quali, Bottas was coming past , winked his eye to her and said "did you like it Claire" .

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 9:41 am 

Points since Canada where Williams got the engine update:
Rosberg 68
Hamilton 58
Bottas 57
the rest.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 11:30 am 

What was in this power unit update that Williams got at Canada?

Why haven't McLaren or Force India gotten this update yet? I'm just thinking as it may have been a huge update to the power unit as Williams have certainly closed the gap to Mercedes since Canada time. It may help explain why Williams have suddenly leapfrogged Red Bull to become the best of the rest. I'm not saying Bottas doesn't look like a future champ as I reckon he could well win a WDC, just seems odd that Mercedes haven't given the update to all the Mercedes powered teams when it could explain some of the performance Williams have found.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 6:29 pm 

Robbo-92 wrote:

Why haven't McLaren or Force India gotten this update yet? I'm just thinking as it may have been a huge update to the power unit as Williams have certainly closed the gap to Mercedes since Canada time. It may help explain why Williams have suddenly leapfrogged Red Bull to become the best of the rest. I'm not saying Bottas doesn't look like a future champ as I reckon he could well win a WDC, just seems odd that Mercedes haven't given the update to all the Mercedes powered teams when it could explain some of the performance Williams have found.

It's something MTV3 has been mentioning in their broadcasts; basically only since Canada have Williams had the same engine that the Mercedes team has had since the beginning of the season. I don't know what the situation is with the other Merc-powered teams.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 10:07 pm 

Robbo-92 wrote:

Maybe they have gotten the update and Williams have just done a better job with their chassis?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 11:01 pm 

HawaiiF1Fan wrote:
Robbo-92 wrote:

Maybe they have gotten the update and Williams have just done a better job with their chassis?

Of course that's a possibility, infact looking at each teams performance pre update and post update I would say Williams have a much better chassis than McLaren and Force India and have done for most of the season. I was more interested in the way that Williams suddenly leapfrogged the Red Bull's in the last few races, even on an aero dependant circuit such as Silverstone the Williams looked overall better than the Red Bull, even though the media claim Williams are not getting as much downforce as other teams. Just seems weird how much they have improved since they got the upgrade. It could be coincidental, or it could be down to the update.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 2:00 am 

Robbo-92 wrote:
HawaiiF1Fan wrote:
Robbo-92 wrote:

Of course that's a possibility, infact looking at each teams performance pre update and post update I would say Williams have a much better chassis than McLaren and Force India and have done for most of the season. I was more interested in the way that Williams suddenly leapfrogged the Red Bull's in the last few races, even on an aero dependant circuit such as Silverstone the Williams looked overall better than the Red Bull, even though the media claim Williams are not getting as much downforce as other teams. Just seems weird how much they have improved since they got the upgrade. It could be coincidental, or it could be down to the update.

I tell you what surprised me was Lewis commenting on how much faster Bottas was on the straights than he was. ERS (push to pass) or no, that is a bit eye opening.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 9:17 am 

HawaiiF1Fan wrote:
Robbo-92 wrote:
HawaiiF1Fan wrote:
Robbo-92 wrote:

I tell you what surprised me was Lewis commenting on how much faster Bottas was on the straights than he was. ERS (push to pass) or no, that is a bit eye opening.

Lewis was about 20kmh faster with the DRS open, but Valtteri nailed his exits which was enough.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 10:23 am 

Covalent wrote:
HawaiiF1Fan wrote:
Robbo-92 wrote:
HawaiiF1Fan wrote:
Robbo-92 wrote:

Lewis was about 20kmh faster with the DRS open, but Valtteri nailed his exits which was enough.

Bottas drove a great race, he knew where Lewis was gaining time on him (most of the track), but knew where he was losing it too, so he just focused on the one area Lewis was losing time to him which was turn 2, nailing that corner allowed Bottas to stay ahead of Lewis and achieve 2nd.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 9:10 am 

The Guardian are writing that McLaren have their eyes set on Valtteri for next year.
http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2014/j ... on-mclaren

Although, since even his name in the link is spelled wrong, you have to take it with a pinch of salt.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 9:58 am 

Hmm... interesting. I think they'd have to convince him that McLaren will be better than Williams next year. And considering they have arguably the second best car that could be difficult. Do you mind if I post this in the silly season thread?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 10:04 am 

AngusWolfe wrote:
Hmm... interesting. I think they'd have to convince him that McLaren will be better than Williams next year. And considering they have arguably the second best car that could be difficult. Do you mind if I post this in the silly season thread?

Not at all - in fact it's better suited there!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 2:35 pm 

I just love Williams and I hope all the success for them. That in mind I would naturally rather see Bottas continuing on Williams, and then down the road if Williams doesn't achieve WDC contender, to jump to Ferrari, Red Bull, Mercedes.
Of course Bottas also needs to keep his current level to deserve that.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:17 am 

Bottas is looking like the driver I'll support in the near future, been rooting for him on the side since last year even though the Williams sucked. Was great seeing him finish 2nd at Hockenheim where I was at Süd A at the last two corners.

Too bad with the terrible SC timing for him in Hungary after a good quali and start. Even though he looked like he was struggling a bit with keeping up with those around him it looked like he could perhaps have kept people behind at least on track.

Hoping Spa and/or Monza will suit the characteristics of the Williams better!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 11:57 am 

With the Mercedes upgrades Spa and Monza should be very much down the Williams alley. Would be disappointed without podiums, barring outside circumstances.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 10:05 am 

Another good podium by Valtteri :thumbup:

Does anyone else need to remind himself that it's only his second year in the sport still? Doing an awesome job IMHO, not as spectacular of course as Hamilton's first two years but then again his car hasn't been as good as those McLaren's were either.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 9:35 am 

Valtteri receives high praise from his teammate:
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/115677

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 6:07 pm 

I think he has been doing really well this year. I also think that he could well eventually become a Formula 1 world champion. That is if his car is at least as good as his Williams is now.
I hope he stays at Williams for another season or two considering how many points he is getting the team.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 10:48 am 

http://instagram.com/p/uK2agaoP_t/

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 8:20 am 

Bottas driving the FW18:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sCx_Bai3hsI

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 7:24 am 

Q&A with Valtteri at the official F1 site: http://www.formula1.com/news/interviews ... 16809.html

I think I feel some similarities between Bottas and Ricciardo, not so much in their personalities, but perhaps their mentality and how they handle success as well as disappointments. Rising talents who haven't been tainted by ultimate success yet, perhaps, as I feel some who start out this way tend to become different after they've been used to winning a lot, while others almost seem to have that spoiled mentality from the start. Does this make any sense, I don't know, maybe something's lost in translation. I guess I would say both are still pretty humble and ready to learn from their mistakes? I hope they stay that way when they're fighting at the sharp end.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 8:10 am 

Both Bottas and Hulkenberg deserve driving race winning cars. I hope these two will win their debut races this year. If the whole grid was driving same car in same season, they would have been fighting for podium places almost every race.

I wish good fortune will build a strong friendship with Bottas. Since he %100 needs it whatever skill set he got.