mcdo wrote:
Valtteri Bottas got married earlier today

http://www.iltasanomat.fi/viihde/art-2000001258305.html

And the best bit... the driver:

Source: article in quote above.

How awesome would that be 8O

8O :thumbup:
Congratulations to Valtteri and Emilia!

PF1 Pick 10 Competition 2016: CHAMPION (2 wins, 8 podiums)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 5:48 pm 

We don't get a whole lot of traffic in this thread, so I'll just plonk this nice little message from Valtteri, Lewis and Toto here...

LOL I just checked - it's been more than 3 years.

Perhaps driver threads could be used a bit more often. After all, there's plenty of news to discuss and debate for all the drivers in F1.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 6:48 pm 

Invade wrote:
We don't get a whole lot of traffic in this thread, so I'll just plonk this nice little message from Valtteri, Lewis and Toto here...

Perhaps driver threads could be used a bit more often. After all, there's plenty of news to discuss and debate for all the drivers in F1.

It is certainly different seeing this sort of video. Don't usually see them in such a relaxed environment.

I don't know so many people who film on phones do it in portrait though. For this video, they may as well have had the camera still and landscape and then we could have seen them all the whole time.

More to do with Bottas though. It is pretty good that he's managed to be 2nd in the championship in a more challenging season than the 2014 - 2016 era. Mercedes has got the best result they could have hoped for a change. Bottas really hasn't seemed to go downhill since the summer break. As somebody mentioned in another thread, Hamilton has only scored 2 more points than him since Belgium. That is a third of the season gone by since then. A pretty impressive run.

People don't need to worry that I am going to expect him to beat Hamilton, I doubt that will happen. But I do think he has improved this year. He may have made big mistakes in Germany and other weekends too, but he seems to have been off the pace a lot less often, so if he manages to work on this more, I think he will be able to be closer. And who knows, if he stays at Mercedes for some time yet, Hamilton might not be at his best any more which could give him bigger opportunities. But then i expect other teams to be catching and maybe beating them some time.

Don't know what others think, but if Bottas again performs at a similar level next year or better, I can see them retaining him again, and possibly for more than just 1 season. Hamilton and Bottas as a team just seems to work so well, and they have both made a very strong team this year. You notice the respect between them on and off track. If they fight (not often but more so this year), it is kept very clean. This was not the case with Rosberg and Hamilton. Though i can see some thinking Rosberg still would have an edge on Bottas, i think that as a driver line up, with Bottas the way he has been this year, it is a stronger team than it was back then. Hamilton and Rosberg not getting on sometimes resulted badly (Spain 2016 as an example).

I would quite easily Mercedes has been the best driver line up in what most of the time has been the strongest team this year. So I see little need to change it unless things turn for the worse next year and it is heavily down to Bottas not being good enough. I expected Leclerc to be a bit better than he has been and especially Vettel. Ferrari both as a car and a driver line up have had a lot of signs of weaknesses this year.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 8:32 pm 

TheGiantHogweed wrote:
Invade wrote:

It is certainly different seeing this sort of video. Don't usually see them in such a relaxed environment.

I don't know so many people who film on phones do it in portrait though. For this video, they may as well have had the camera still and landscape and then we could have seen them all the whole time.

More to do with Bottas though. It is pretty good that he's managed to be 2nd in the championship in a more challenging season than the 2014 - 2016 era. Mercedes has got the best result they could have hoped for a change. Bottas really hasn't seemed to go downhill since the summer break. As somebody mentioned in another thread, Hamilton has only scored 2 more points than him since Belgium. That is a third of the season gone by since then. A pretty impressive run.

People don't need to worry that I am going to expect him to beat Hamilton, I doubt that will happen. But I do think he has improved this year. He may have made big mistakes in Germany and other weekends too, but he seems to have been off the pace a lot less often, so if he manages to work on this more, I think he will be able to be closer. And who knows, if he stays at Mercedes for some time yet, Hamilton might not be at his best any more which could give him bigger opportunities. But then i expect other teams to be catching and maybe beating them some time.

Don't know what others think, but if Bottas again performs at a similar level next year or better, I can see them retaining him again, and possibly for more than just 1 season. Hamilton and Bottas as a team just seems to work so well, and they have both made a very strong team this year. You notice the respect between them on and off track. If they fight (not often but more so this year), it is kept very clean. This was not the case with Rosberg and Hamilton. Though i can see some thinking Rosberg still would have an edge on Bottas, i think that as a driver line up, with Bottas the way he has been this year, it is a stronger team than it was back then. Hamilton and Rosberg not getting on sometimes resulted badly (Spain 2016 as an example).

I would quite easily Mercedes has been the best driver line up in what most of the time has been the strongest team this year. So I see little need to change it unless things turn for the worse next year and it is heavily down to Bottas not being good enough. I expected Leclerc to be a bit better than he has been and especially Vettel. Ferrari both as a car and a driver line up have had a lot of signs of weaknesses this year.

Ye, I'd say Mercedes have had the best driver pairing this year. Bottas to my mind has proven his worth this year not just as a super teammate but as a driver who can often bring a very high level to the table. It's clear he's made strides this year, particularly regarding his race pace - something he himself admits. It's unreasonable to now suggest Bottas will beat Hamilton in the future, but he's now much better equipped to bring the fight and he himself has said that he's very excited for next year which is going to be "interesting". He knows that in Mercedes he has a platform to win on merit and has it in his own hands to produce a Championship push.

As for the longterm future of the Bottas-Hamilton partnership, I won't be surprised to see it last quite a while longer before Lewis either retires or goes elsewhere, leading to a Bottas-Russell partnership. But these things are almost impossible to predict. Toto has said that he wants the two most competitive drivers possible, which could be read as him wanting to try and bring Max into the Mercedes fold from 2021 onwards.

All I can say is that Bottas is certainly a strong racer and has developed in his partnership with Mercedes and Lewis in an exceptionally open environment with very few secrets, which allows a driver to tap into their potential. Having Lewis as a benchmark has been useful for him, and Lewis can be very thankful to Valtteri for his contributions.

I doubt Bottas has peaked yet, and he will continue to make strides and Hamilton will continue to try and keep that edge and holding those ace cards, as he puts it. However, 2020 will be the final chapter of an era, and in 2021 in some ways every driver on the grid will start from scratch. It will be interesting to see who naturally adapts quicker to the drastically different cars we have in store for 2021. As such, 2020 might well end up being Bottas' best chance to win the WDC. He won't be favoured but it's not out of the question for it to happen, especially if Mercedes build a very dominant machine. But even if they don't and Mercedes are close to Ferrari and Red Bull, I do not doubt that Bottas can still put on the battle with the other drivers around him from the top 3 teams.