Chat Forum
It is currently Sat Apr 29, 2017 6:30 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4900 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 119, 120, 121, 122, 123  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Wine Thread
PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 4:57 pm 

frankster wrote:
globus wrote:
frankster wrote:
globus wrote:
Easter Sunday coming up and roast lamb is on the menu as usual. Coming from a local farmer.

BBR have just sent me some recommendations but I'm wondering if you experts out there have suggestions for something to drink with it. Anything eclectic might be a bit of fun.

Usually we have a pinot noir.

The classic matches are Rioja or St Emilion.

So a Medoc? I've got a very nice Rioja in Town but that's for a special occasion.

I'll have a word with Mr Amps about a St E. Cheers.

A good Médoc (e.g. a Pauillac) from a good year would work, but otherwise a Médoc might be too austere, hence right bank Merlot dominated blends tend to work better

St.Emilion rather more cabernet franc than merlot, but still 'easier' and a more fruit balance than your grand Medocain wines.

I suspect that if Globus is a pinot man then Rioja might be less of a shock to the system - oh I see we have gone for Pauillac, the most masculine of the communes. Yum yum.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 5:05 pm 

GDBFC99 wrote:
Our lamb in the region comes from Pauillac at Easter and indeed the locals like to drink a wine from Pauillac with the lamb from Pauillac...

I prefer an old St Julien with the lamb when it's "traditionnally" cooked medium or rare. However I've been a big fan of the "7-hour cooked" lamb for a couple of years now and go for a wine with a bit more power to go along the more marked flavours. We've had wines on that recipe from Italy, Spain, the Languedoc region, CDR or even CDP and it usually works very nicely. Can't have just one wine anyway for that kind of occasion. :o

This is what I love on here. Some interesting observations.

I was humming about making a lamb tagine. Not sure what you'd do with this wine wise.

Quote:
Moroccan Lamb Tagine

Ingredients

1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
2 teaspoons ground black pepper
11/2 tablespoons paprika
11/2 tablespoons ground ginger
1 tablespoon turmeric
2 tablespoons ground cinnamon

Shoulder of lamb, trimmed and cut into 5cm/2in chunks (about 1.1 kg/21/2lb meat in total)

2 large onions, grated (chopped and liquidised)
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 tablespoons argan oil
3 cloves garlic, crushed
570ml/1 pint tomato juice (1/2 to 3/4 pint suggested)
2 x 400g tinned chopped tomatoes
115g/4oz dried apricots, cut in half
55g/2oz dates, cut in half
55g/2oz sultanas or raisins
85g/3oz flaked almonds
1 tsp saffron stamens, soaked in cold water
600ml/1 pint lamb stock (use only 300ml/½ pint)
1 tablespoon clear honey
2 tablespoon coriander, roughly chopped
2 tablespoon flat leaf parsley, roughly chopped

1. Place the cayenne, black pepper, paprika, ginger, turmeric and cinnamon into a small bowl and mix to combine. Place the lamb in a large bowl and toss together
with half of the spice mix. Cover and leave overnight in the fridge.

2. Preheat the oven to 150C/300F/Gas2.

3. Grate (slice/liquidise) the onion and have all the ingredients available, including the lamb stock & garlic.

3. Heat 1 tbsp olive oil and 1 tbsp of argan oil in a large casserole dish. Add the grated onion and the remaining spice mix and cook over a gentle heat for 10 minutes so that the onions are soft but not coloured. Add the crushed garlic for the final 3 minutes.

4. In a separate frying pan, heat the remaining oil and brown the cubes of lamb on all sides then add the browned meat to the casserole dish. De-glaze the frying pan with ¼ pint of tomato juice and add these juices to the pan.

5. Add the remaining tomato juice, chopped tomatoes, apricots, dates, raisins or sultanas, flaked almonds, saffron, lamb stock and honey to the casserole dish.
Bring to the boil, cover with a fitted lid, place in the oven and cook for 2½hours or until the meat is meltingly tender. Chop coriander and flat leaf parsley near the end.

6. Place the lamb in a tagine or large serving dish and sprinkle over the chopped herbs.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 7:38 pm 

ManInTheBar wrote:
frankster wrote:
globus wrote:
frankster wrote:
globus wrote:
Easter Sunday coming up and roast lamb is on the menu as usual. Coming from a local farmer.

BBR have just sent me some recommendations but I'm wondering if you experts out there have suggestions for something to drink with it. Anything eclectic might be a bit of fun.

Usually we have a pinot noir.

The classic matches are Rioja or St Emilion.

So a Medoc? I've got a very nice Rioja in Town but that's for a special occasion.

I'll have a word with Mr Amps about a St E. Cheers.

A good Médoc (e.g. a Pauillac) from a good year would work, but otherwise a Médoc might be too austere, hence right bank Merlot dominated blends tend to work better

St.Emilion rather more cabernet franc than merlot, but still 'easier' and a more fruit balance than your grand Medocain wines.

I suspect that if Globus is a pinot man then Rioja might be less of a shock to the system - oh I see we have gone for Pauillac, the most masculine of the communes. Yum yum.

The exception rather than the rule in St-Emi?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 7:42 pm 

globus wrote:

I was humming about making a lamb tagine. Not sure what you'd do with this wine wise.

Quote:
Moroccan Lamb Tagine

Ingredients

2 teaspoons ground black pepper
11/2 tablespoons paprika
11/2 tablespoons ground ginger
1 tablespoon turmeric
2 tablespoons ground cinnamon

Shoulder of lamb, trimmed and cut into 5cm/2in chunks (about 1.1 kg/21/2lb meat in total)

2 large onions, grated (chopped and liquidised)
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 tablespoons argan oil
3 cloves garlic, crushed
570ml/1 pint tomato juice (1/2 to 3/4 pint suggested)
2 x 400g tinned chopped tomatoes
115g/4oz dried apricots, cut in half
55g/2oz dates, cut in half
55g/2oz sultanas or raisins
85g/3oz flaked almonds
1 tsp saffron stamens, soaked in cold water
600ml/1 pint lamb stock (use only 300ml/½ pint)
1 tablespoon clear honey
2 tablespoon coriander, roughly chopped
2 tablespoon flat leaf parsley, roughly chopped

1. Place the cayenne, black pepper, paprika, ginger, turmeric and cinnamon into a small bowl and mix to combine. Place the lamb in a large bowl and toss together
with half of the spice mix. Cover and leave overnight in the fridge.

2. Preheat the oven to 150C/300F/Gas2.

3. Grate (slice/liquidise) the onion and have all the ingredients available, including the lamb stock & garlic.

3. Heat 1 tbsp olive oil and 1 tbsp of argan oil in a large casserole dish. Add the grated onion and the remaining spice mix and cook over a gentle heat for 10 minutes so that the onions are soft but not coloured. Add the crushed garlic for the final 3 minutes.

4. In a separate frying pan, heat the remaining oil and brown the cubes of lamb on all sides then add the browned meat to the casserole dish. De-glaze the frying pan with ¼ pint of tomato juice and add these juices to the pan.

5. Add the remaining tomato juice, chopped tomatoes, apricots, dates, raisins or sultanas, flaked almonds, saffron, lamb stock and honey to the casserole dish.
Bring to the boil, cover with a fitted lid, place in the oven and cook for 2½hours or until the meat is meltingly tender. Chop coriander and flat leaf parsley near the end.

6. Place the lamb in a tagine or large serving dish and sprinkle over the chopped herbs.

About a year ago, with some fellow wine blogger friends I went to a Moroccan restaurant in Dublin called Dada - it's pretty good and, although they sell wine and other drinks, they allow corkage for €5 a bottle.

The standout wine and food pairing was the Alpha Zeta Amarone with Lamb Tagine :thumbup:

Something like a Gigondas from the Southern Rhone might also work

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 7:47 pm 

GDBFC99 wrote:
Our lamb in the region comes from Pauillac at Easter and indeed the locals like to drink a wine from Pauillac with the lamb from Pauillac...

I prefer an old St Julien with the lamb when it's "traditionnally" cooked medium or rare. However I've been a big fan of the "7-hour cooked" lamb for a couple of years now and go for a wine with a bit more power to go along the more marked flavours. We've had wines on that recipe from Italy, Spain, the Languedoc region, CDR or even CDP and it usually works very nicely. Can't have just one wine anyway for that kind of occasion. :o

yep - i cannot see the attraction in pink lamb

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 5:04 pm 

https://frankstero.com/2017/04/06/top-selection-of-reds-make-mine-a-double-29/

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 6:28 pm 

Just tucking into a bottle of Estevez Cabernet - Carmenère - Syrah 2014 from Aldi.
It's a great wine for the price :thumbup:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 6:38 pm 

c69 wrote:
Just tucking into a bottle of Estevez Cabernet - Carmenère - Syrah 2014 from Aldi.

I don't know that particular one, is it from Chile?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 6:43 pm 

frankster wrote:
c69 wrote:

I don't know that particular one, is it from Chile?

Yes it from the Maule Valley

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 5:50 pm 

Tried Graham Norton's Shiraz the other evening, very pleasant drinking:

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 6:07 pm 

Is it limp wristed at all?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 6:11 pm 

:((

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 6:24 pm 

frankster wrote:
:((

Merely an observation about a well known television host.

Got the wine for Easter. Shall report.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 10:16 pm 

frankster wrote:
globus wrote:

Quote:
Moroccan Lamb Tagine

Ingredients

Yada Yada.

About a year ago, with some fellow wine blogger friends I went to a Moroccan restaurant in Dublin called Dada - it's pretty good and, although they sell wine and other drinks, they allow corkage for €5 a bottle.

The standout wine and food pairing was the Alpha Zeta Amarone with Lamb Tagine :thumbup:

Something like a Gigondas from the Southern Rhone might also work

Alain Graillot does a wine from Morocco if you wanted to go the whole hogget

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 10:56 pm 

dinsdale wrote:
bimboman wrote:
Right any views on burgundy 2015 ? Seeing en primeur offer coming through and tempted to go bonkers.

The Wine society en primeur offers are starting to come in. I think the Rhone ones are better value. Think some more CDP is in my future.

Yeah that.... Rhone 15s are superb and better value. As per usual, some vineyards south of Beaune were belted with hail in 2015... from memory Volnay, Pommard, Puligny & Chassagne and Meursault... Volnay and Pommard seem to cop it every year.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 10:38 pm 

Lovely little Riesling number I tried at The Twelve this weekend:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 11:17 pm 

Frankster, have you tried this?

https://www.obrienswine.ie/wine/current ... dello.html

I'm having a few people round on Friday...

Any budget but drinkable recommendations?

Might be in Lidl also....

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 11:23 pm 

They have Vignerons sancerre on special at €17. Also for red they've a languedoc with a tenner off down to €12 haven't tried it though

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 11:44 pm 

Duff Paddy wrote:
They have Vignerons sancerre on special at €17. Also for red they've a languedoc with a tenner off down to €12 haven't tried it though

Cheers Duff. I might get in there tomorrow.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 11:50 pm 

Flametop wrote:
Frankster, have you tried this?

https://www.obrienswine.ie/wine/current ... dello.html

I'm having a few people round on Friday...

Any budget but drinkable recommendations?

Might be in Lidl also....

From memory I think I have tried it, and it was quite nice but not amazing - so definitely worth getting on special offer.

Also:
- Porta 6 always goes down well (bloke I follow on twitter has it as the house red at his eatery*)
- The Bougrier SB is a steal at €10 (definitely a Loire style SB)
- I love the Monte Real Rioja Reserva
- Luna Argenta is a nice drop

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 12:02 am 

Thanks for the tips.
I haven't tried the SB mentioned but I know the other 3.

Lately I've had a few of the CNdP https://www.obrienswine.ie/blason-du-rh ... uf-dp.html
(Well worth it) but I don't fancy shelling out for those that will just wallop it back.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 12:07 am 

I came across this post on some or other site (probably full of viruses) and I like both these wine types.
How's the hangover factor with these?

https://frankstero.com/2017/03/03/north ... -a-double/

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 1:43 am 

I headed to Melbourne a couple of days ago for the launch of the 2012 Henschke Hill of Grace.... spectacular wine, as it should be for $825 but there are a couple of new wines that were fantastic... a 2012 Hill of Peace Semillon, which is a cellar door only release so won't make it to the retail market. The one that blew me away was the 2015 Henschke The Bootmaker Mataro.... a fantastic wine... great fruit purity and it weighs in at around A$75

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 11:42 am 

Flametop wrote:
I came across this post on some or other site (probably full of viruses) and I like both these wine types.

That website does look dodgy...

When I had them I shared them round at a party so can't comment on the after effects of those wines in isolation

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 11:57 am 

Tehuringa wrote:
I headed to Melbourne a couple of days ago for the launch of the 2012 Henschke Hill of Grace.... spectacular wine, as it should be for $825 but there are a couple of new wines that were fantastic... a 2012 Hill of Peace Semillon, which is a cellar door only release so won't make it to the retail market. The one that blew me away was the 2015 Henschke The Bootmaker Mataro.... a fantastic wine... great fruit purity and it weighs in at around A$75

I haven’t tasted Hill of Grace yet...wasn't poured when I visited the cellar door in 2003 and doesn't have a press campaign behind it in Ireland unlike Treasury's big guns...and given the price I'm unlikely to taste it in the near future 😮

I do remember the Museum release Semillons ("Louis"?) being very good.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 12:16 pm 

frankster wrote:
Tehuringa wrote:

I haven’t tasted Hill of Grace yet...wasn't poured when I visited the cellar door in 2003 and doesn't have a press campaign behind it in Ireland unlike Treasury's big guns...and given the price I'm unlikely to taste it in the near future 😮

Tim Adams Semillion is very good. Quite lemony.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 12:53 pm 

Try a Chateau Musar from the Bekaa Valley in the Lebanon with a lamb tagine.

I like to say that the post 2006 vintages have good minerality with hints of depleted uranium shell ;) (but this is not true however).

It has a smoothness that for some evokes claret but the Cab Sauv is emboldened here by the peppery spice overtones of Cinsault and Carignan which will stand up well to a tagine

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 1:52 pm 

frankster wrote:
Flametop wrote:

That website does look dodgy...

When I had them I shared them round at a party so can't comment on the after effects of those wines in isolation

I ended up getting two of the Falanghina and 3 for €25 (€12.99 individually) of this:

It's the 2015 and I'm expecting social workers to call round, it's bone dry. I'm giving it a bit of air to try later.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 12:33 am 

frankster wrote:
Tehuringa wrote:

Yes, the Semillons are excellent. The wines from this neck of the woods (Barossa, Clare Valley) tend to be aged in oak and are more approachable than the Hunter Valley wines in their youth. Those young Hunter wins can be brutally lean and malic when they are young but obviously morph into something special with time in the cellar. I judged at the Hunter Valley Wine Show in 2012 and was on a panel judging the young new release Hunter Semillons. I had no idea how to approach judging the wines and asked the chairman (Jim Chatto from McWilliams) what I should be looking for in terms of greatness and longevity in Hunter Semillon and a looked at me.... very deadpan and said "nothing" :o

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 6:48 am 

Tehuringa wrote:
frankster wrote:
Tehuringa wrote:

Yes, the Semillons are excellent. The wines from this neck of the woods (Barossa, Clare Valley) tend to be aged in oak and are more approachable than the Hunter Valley wines in their youth. Those young Hunter wins can be brutally lean and malic when they are young but obviously morph into something special with time in the cellar. I judged at the Hunter Valley Wine Show in 2012 and was on a panel judging the young new release Hunter Semillons. I had no idea how to approach judging the wines and asked the chairman (Jim Chatto from McWilliams) what I should be looking for in terms of greatness and longevity in Hunter Semillon and a looked at me.... very deadpan and said "nothing" :o

😂😂

I guess the Tyrrell's Lost Block is an attempt to make a more approachable Hunter style.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 7:02 am 

Tehuringa wrote:

:thumbup:

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 6:53 pm 

This went down well (though not as well as the 05 GA rosé would have!)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 8:57 am 

A new post just up on a couple of wines from French wine regions that you might not know:

I Wanna Give You Devotion

A virtual glass of wine for the first person to guess the reference in the article title...

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 9:19 am 

frankster wrote:
A new post just up on a couple of wines from French wine regions that you might not know:

A virtual glass of wine for the first person to guess the reference in the article title...

It's a song by

Nomad

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 9:40 am 

Les vins d'arbois :thumbup:

not for every palate.

http://www.chansonsaboire.com/index.php ... =BR123.php

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 11:55 am 

Here are our Easter Sunday wines.

I've not gone for the lamb tagine but have bought a leg of lamb to be roasted with studded garlic and rosemary.

I'll still keep the recommendations for the tagine for a later date.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 2:48 pm 

globus wrote:
frankster wrote:

It's a song by

Nomad

A virtual glass of your choice, skipper!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 2:49 pm 

Laurent wrote:
Les vins d'arbois :thumbup:

not for every palate.

http://www.chansonsaboire.com/index.php ... =BR123.php

True.....Some left field wines in the Jura!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 3:17 pm 

frankster wrote:
globus wrote:
frankster wrote:

It's a song by

Nomad

A virtual glass of your choice, skipper!

What's up for grabs, captain?

Possibly Admiral.

I do love Haut Brion. Hope you think well of the wine choice for Easter.

Got a possible boom buster coming up for a big occasion in June/July.

Depending on weather, it's barbeque or indoors and I'll be cooking. Probably steak, either way.

I do like a decent pinot noir, it has to be said.

Pop an idea up. Got some decent stuff in the local merchants and at other places but they are sitting for a big occasion.

We are hopeful of a new arrival.

Wine is wonderful. It is even better at a decent do.

Hope you like my Easter choice.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 9:04 am 

Discovery of the week, "Domaine Raspail-Ay", a Gigondas that makes you feel you're drinking a CDP, except for only 16€ the bottle. Had it for Easter following a friend's recommendation, I wholeheartedly approve his message. :thumbup:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4900 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 119, 120, 121, 122, 123  Next