Chat Forum
It is currently Tue Apr 25, 2017 7:27 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 55598 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 1386, 1387, 1388, 1389, 1390  Next
PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:58 pm 

fair enough, if he's going to be a stepper then IMO he's better off moving to 13 (though his defence would be even more exposed there)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:59 pm 

openclashXX wrote:
fair enough, if he's going to be a stepper then IMO he's better off moving to 13 (though his defence would be even more exposed there)

Think 13 then doesn't take enough advantage of his distribution :D. It'll be interesting to see how he develops.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:01 pm 

Christ, I think I'm losing my mind. I was just finishing up some work and about to head off to go watch the Quins match at the Stoop.

Which is next week.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:05 pm 

:lol:
There's a gaping hole in my life when there are no Friday night games

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:12 pm 

It's a bit odd indeed. Don't know what exactly to watch.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:13 pm 

I could watch some Super Rugby.

More work it is, then :(

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:20 pm 

JM2K6 wrote:
I could watch some Super Rugby.

More work it is, then :(

:nod:
I have the Canes vs Brumbies match on in the background... it's just not the same though.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:22 pm 

I hate July. It's too hot, and there's no rugby on. Worst month of the year

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:25 pm 

I've really given up on Super Rugby these days too, the quality is just too poor across the board. it's a good thing SANZAAR locked in that bumper deal with Sky Sports pre-expansion because if it were negotiated now I doubt it would fetch much at all

I said it on another thread but I do reckon the rumours are true and BT will buy the rights to the NRL this year, and stick it on in the mornings to compete with Sky's Super Rugby coverage. great for the sports fan (myself included, would love to see more NRL) but worst possible thing for Sky if the decline in SR quality doesn't stop

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:36 pm 

openclashXX wrote:
I've really given up on Super Rugby these days too, the quality is just too poor across the board. it's a good thing SANZAAR locked in that bumper deal with Sky Sports pre-expansion because if it were negotiated now I doubt it would fetch much at all

I said it on another thread but I do reckon the rumours are true and BT will buy the rights to the NRL this year, and stick it on in the mornings to compete with Sky's Super Rugby coverage. great for the sports fan (myself included, would love to see more NRL) but worst possible thing for Sky if the decline in SR quality doesn't stop

The product which even a couple of years ago was decent, is now very poor- I only really tune in for the NZ derbies. I do wonder if they will just have some Aus/NZ tournament only and the SA teams latch onto a European league.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:46 pm 

plum-pudding wrote:
openclashXX wrote:

The product which even a couple of years ago was decent, is now very poor- I only really tune in for the NZ derbies. I do wonder if they will just have some Aus/NZ tournament only and the SA teams latch onto a European league.

yeah I can't bear to sit through 80 minutes of the Force and the Cheetahs try and out-spacker each other in some meaningless game for 12th place

it would be great fun to see some of the Saffer teams compete in the European Cup. I imagine it would be the ideal scenario for them as they'd bring the focus back onto the Currie Cup for most of the year and then could compete in a more timezone-friendly and significantly richer international competition

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:49 pm 

openclashXX wrote:
plum-pudding wrote:
openclashXX wrote:

yeah I can't bear to sit through 80 minutes of the Force and the Cheetahs try and out-spacker each other in some meaningless game for 12th place

it would be great fun to see some of the Saffer teams compete in the European Cup. I imagine it would be the ideal scenario for them as they'd bring the focus back onto the Currie Cup for most of the year and then could compete in a more timezone-friendly and significantly richer international competition

Surely they'd be less Currie Cup if they played a 26 match regular season in the Pro14?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:52 pm 

Tim. wrote:
Surely they'd be less Currie Cup if they played a 26 match regular season in the Pro14?

I wasn't aware the idea was to have them literally join an existing league like the Pro12? :uhoh:

they have a perfectly good domestic league that is sitting around gradually wasting away, surely the sensible thing would be to bring it back into central focus as the main league (ahead of Super Rugby), perhaps expand it so that it fills a longer season, and have the top 4 teams qualify for the European Cup?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:53 pm 

B&I Cup Final if anyone is desperate.

Jersey sticking it to Munster A so far.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=y ... pp=desktop

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:57 pm 

openclashXX wrote:
Tim. wrote:

I wasn't aware the idea was to have them literally join an existing league like the Pro12? :uhoh:

they have a perfectly good domestic league that is sitting around gradually wasting away, surely the sensible thing would be to bring it back into central focus as the main league (ahead of Super Rugby), perhaps expand it so that it fills a longer season, and have the top 4 teams qualify for the European Cup?

This is currently doing the rounds.
http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/rugb ... o-12917771

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:57 pm 

Rugby2023 wrote:
TopNacker wrote:

Quote:
‘My father’s a monster,’ said Ruskin. ‘He is 6ft 9in. He tells me stories of when Georgia played Russia. In the 1990s, the team were locked in the changing room before a match so my dad literally head butted down the metal door.'

His dad was a known bonehead and a brute. It wouldn't surprise me if he had indeed head-butted down a door... in fact that's probably how he opened doors.

He was a good player though.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:58 pm 

Tim. wrote:
openclashXX wrote:
Tim. wrote:

mental. absolutely mental. rugby administrators in South Africa have fully gone off the deep end

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:02 pm 

openclashXX wrote:
Tim. wrote:
openclashXX wrote:
Tim. wrote:

mental. absolutely mental. rugby administrators in South Africa have fully gone off the deep end

The basic premise of reducing the pro teams from 14 to 8 is sound. Then it all gets a bit mental for sure.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:30 pm 

FullbackAce wrote:
His dad was a known bonehead and a brute. It wouldn't surprise me if he had indeed head-butted down a door... in fact that's probably how he opened doors.

I don't doubt that part FBA, it would probably accurately describe most Georgian forwards :P Are you disappointed Ruskin has not opted to play for the land of his father?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:22 pm 

Rugby2023 wrote:
FullbackAce wrote:

I don't doubt that part FBA, it would probably accurately describe most Georgian forwards :P Are you disappointed Ruskin has not opted to play for the land of his father?

Well I know firsthand from his teammate (my father)

I'm only disappointed that a son of a former Georgian captain is a foreigner. If it was anyone else I wouldn't mind.

It is a logical, pragmatic decision on his part. Being a prop He would have as much competition starting for Georgia as he will for England yet the latter could be far more rewarding as far as silverware and fame goes.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 2:22 pm 

anyone want to hazard a guess who Eddie is referring to?

Quote:
Eddie Jones is only just starting to get over England's Grand Slam failure in Dublin, five weeks on from the defeat by Ireland which ended their world-record winning run.

It's been more than a month since the Red Rose saw their series of consecutive victories stopped at 18 but Jones says the memories are still eating him up.

And the head coach concedes that part of the reason for that is the realisation that he was at fault for the 13-9 loss at the Aviva Stadium.

'I've been filthy for four weeks. I'm probably just getting over it,' he told the Daily Express.

'I blame myself. I got the tactics wrong, I got selection wrong and I got the substitutions wrong and I'll never get that back so I'm still angry with myself.

'There were players who were absolutely outstanding for us early in the tournament who were poor in that game and I should have picked up the signs of that better.

'I should have made some changes after Scotland. I got a bit complacent after that win. I probably thought things were going better than they were.

'And at half-time I should have brought about five finishers on – or even before half-time.
Why I didn't I still can't work out. I've been really disappointed with myself.'

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 2:29 pm 

openclashXX wrote:

Quote:
Eddie Jones is only just starting to get over England's Grand Slam failure in Dublin, five weeks on from the defeat by Ireland which ended their world-record winning run.

It's been more than a month since the Red Rose saw their series of consecutive victories stopped at 18 but Jones says the memories are still eating him up.

And the head coach concedes that part of the reason for that is the realisation that he was at fault for the 13-9 loss at the Aviva Stadium.

'I've been filthy for four weeks. I'm probably just getting over it,' he told the Daily Express.

'I blame myself. I got the tactics wrong, I got selection wrong and I got the substitutions wrong and I'll never get that back so I'm still angry with myself.

'There were players who were absolutely outstanding for us early in the tournament who were poor in that game and I should have picked up the signs of that better.

'I should have made some changes after Scotland. I got a bit complacent after that win. I probably thought things were going better than they were.

'And at half-time I should have brought about five finishers on – or even before half-time.
Why I didn't I still can't work out. I've been really disappointed with myself.'

Pretty much the whole team were poor.. though I struggle to think of many that were 'outstanding' earlier on.
Joseph, Faz, the locks?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 2:51 pm 

plum-pudding wrote:
openclashXX wrote:

Quote:

Pretty much the whole team were poor.. though I struggle to think of many that were 'outstanding' earlier on.
Joseph, Faz, the locks?

'I blame myself. I got the tactics wrong,
You didn't need to be Mystic Meg to know the Irish were going to swarm every breakdown , to slow up your possesion and that if your team contested breakdowns adequately , rather than panicking about being in a nice line all the way out to the wings, you might have done better on a wet day in Dublin !

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 4:57 pm 

Backwoodsman1 wrote:
plum-pudding wrote:
openclashXX wrote:

Quote:

Joseph, Faz, the locks?

'I blame myself. I got the tactics wrong,
You didn't need to be Mystic Meg to know the Irish were going to swarm every breakdown , to slow up your possesion and that if your team contested breakdowns adequately , rather than panicking about being in a nice line all the way out to the wings, you might have done better on a wet day in Dublin !

Continuously kicking away what little ball we got and waiting for the Irish to run out of steam was very negative rugby and got the result it deserved.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 5:03 pm 

Fair play, George Kruis has been bloody good against Munster. 18 tackles according to espn

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 5:07 pm 

Spencer has been an absolute horror show since coming on.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 5:15 pm 

Kruis is a beast

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 5:19 pm 

Billy put up some stupid numbers there (pre revision)

15 tackles / 0 missed
72 metres
1 clean break
7 defenders beaten
3 offloads

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 5:24 pm 

Margin_Walker wrote:
Billy put up some stupid numbers there (pre revision)

15 tackles / 0 missed
72 metres
1 clean break
7 defenders beaten
3 offloads

Come to expect these kind of stats whenever he plays and is fit. He's the class 8 in the world, for me.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 5:37 pm 

DragsterDriver wrote:

The difference between him and Wigglesworth was summed up when they were rocked back in their 22m and needed a calm head to organise the forwards and put in a box kick. Wigglesworth calmed everyone down and got the forwards exactly where they needed to be- Spencer got caught with the ball out of the ruck and was turned over.
Shame.

Mind you, Wigglesworth would fetch a kings ransom for a French club- I can't believe one of them haven't tried to lure him over.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 5:42 pm 

plum-pudding wrote:
Mind you, Wigglesworth would fetch a kings ransom for a French club- I can't believe one of them haven't tried to lure him over.

Wiggy was interviewed in TRP saying various French clubs made him a sizeable offer back in January (ie bigger than what Sarries are offering him) and he turned them down as he wants to stay at a club challenging for trophies. he plans on retiring at Sarries

Spencer has really imploded the second half of this season, not at all convinced by his form

Last edited by openclashXX on Sat Apr 22, 2017 5:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 5:42 pm 

Vincent Koch made MOM. Lol

Jackson Ray making a huge name for himself at No.7. Eddie?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 5:55 pm 

Billy was absolutely immense today. He was resolutely targeted by Munster but he just swatted them off and got on his bike. It was a good a performance from a number 8 as I have seen all year - right up there with Picamoles. :thumbup:

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 5:58 pm 

openclashXX wrote:

Quote:

Youngs for me

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 6:14 pm 

polyallstar wrote:
openclashXX wrote:

Quote:

Youngs for me

and me.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 6:34 pm 

plum-pudding wrote:
DragsterDriver wrote:

The difference between him and Wigglesworth was summed up when they were rocked back in their 22m and needed a calm head to organise the forwards and put in a box kick. Wigglesworth calmed everyone down and got the forwards exactly where they needed to be- Spencer got caught with the ball out of the ruck and was turned over.
Shame.

Him and Robson have fallen apart- I'm not bigging up anymore 9s, it's turning into a commentators curse :blush:

I like Townsend though :thumbup:

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 7:00 pm 

Me 3

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 9:07 pm 

polyallstar wrote:
openclashXX wrote:

Quote:

Youngs for me

It was the entirely passive effort at the line outs that got me. Wtf.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 9:17 pm 

terryfinch wrote:
polyallstar wrote:
openclashXX wrote:

Quote:

Youngs for me

It was the entirely passive effort at the line outs that got me. Wtf.

It was very passive in most 'contested' areas - looked like we were planning on just absorbing pressure until they coughed it up.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 10:10 pm 

Representation in both european finals.

If Ford and co can muster a result tomorrow... Bath vs Gloucester and Sarries vs Clermont/Leinster.

Not bad for average year. :proud:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 55598 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 1386, 1387, 1388, 1389, 1390  Next