Chat Forum
It is currently Sat Apr 29, 2017 12:24 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 31599 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 775, 776, 777, 778, 779, 780, 781 ... 790  Next
PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 2:13 pm 

anonymous_joe wrote:
If memory serves, our roads are considerably safer than France's.

Yep.

http://etsc.eu/euroadsafetydata/

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 2:02 pm 

GE called in the UK. What an absolute clusterfuck of a country at the moment.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 2:04 pm 

We are still better drivers ... (except Paris and Lyon)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 2:04 pm 

Thats YOUR country Nols!

Time to get that SDLP vote out in south belfast!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 2:10 pm 

Nolanator wrote:

Its good news for us, the fact she is cementing the Torys position beforeheand means she is going to go for a softer brexit.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 2:22 pm 

The threat to our economy from Brexit or the Civil and Public Service Unions, which is greatest?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 2:28 pm 

Unions

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 2:29 pm 

Brexit - and instead of Unions I will say politicians (because the unions have no power, they just need to be shown resistance)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 2:30 pm 

goose81 wrote:
Nolanator wrote:

Its good news for us, the fact she is cementing the Torys position beforeheand means she is going to go for a softer brexit.

If an effective opposition party (Lib Dems/Labour) campaigns on a pro-EU or soft-Brexit approach, then the Tories might be forced into more of a Eurosceptic or hard-Brexit angle. May might end up with a more Eurosceptic party than before, and have a more difficult time corralling them into compromises with the EU.

I'm not really sure that this is what will happen, it's hard to know what way the next couple of months will go, but i think it's as likely as May leading her party towards a more soft-Brexit stance.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 3:59 pm 

redderneck wrote:
anonymous_joe wrote:
gokwe wrote:
My Wife is an ex biker. I'm a seasoned 4 wheel motorsport competitor. On four wheels we've won a National and a European championship. She's lost mates on bikes, at a consistent flow, Doctors, Lawyers, Bricklayers, makes no difference. Death chariot.

I dappled once, had an horrendous scare, never put my leg across one since.

M5 for weekend thrills for me, at least it doesn't fall over when you switch it off. Friggin tax is obscene though.

One of my parents' mates milled himself off a bike and spent about a year in hospital or something mad. Got into them to beat the traffic into town from out near Bray/Shankill.

The obvious problem with bikes is that most people will end up in one or two accidents in their lives (somebody must have the number), if you're on a bike that changes the odds from being cheeky whippy to, ow, my spine.

Have often said that I'd happily take to bike-riding if I were based somewhere in the world blessed with consistently good weather. Rain fecks up road surfaces and fecks up visibility. One is bad enough, both is nightmare stuff.

Buddy based in Europe bought himself a scooter a while back. Decent sized yoke, I think something around a 250cc mark. Commute buster. He loves it, but he leaves it parked up if the rain is bad and/or when there's snow/ice about. Just does not risk it. So walks & trams it on those days. Having 2 cars made no sense anymore given they live in a city proper, rather than suburbia.

Another pal is based in France and recently bought himself something I didn't even know existed -an automatic motorcycle; a Honda Dual Clutch Transmission thingie, a 750cc machine I think. Swears by it. Where he is, weather is not a factor. It makes the decision to ride one so much less angsty. Plus the machine is perfect for heavy traffic commuting. He rode it back here once to show it off. Never again. "Irish motorists do not know what a fcuking mirror is" was his only comment.

Try driving one of those around China! They have zero peripheral vision and no patience for pedestrians and drivers. I had a scooter that maxed out at 50kmph and nearly lamped so many people I never got it over 30 so I could react to the idiots walking straight onto the road.

Liveleak has some of the most insane and gruesome accidents weeekly you can imagine from the far east. Like 10 dead, scattered across the highway like bolwing pins as some peasants don't understand traffic lights.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 4:18 pm 

Liathroidigloine wrote:
The threat to our economy from Brexit or the Civil and Public Service Unions, which is greatest?

Worry about the things that are within your control.
So yeah, the unions.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 4:31 pm 

The INTO are busy putting on the poor mouth I see. Giving out about 2 payscales (now whose fault is that boys and girls, hands up !); and that 'unqualified' teachers are substituting for sick teachers, ignoring the fact that their basic pay scale assumes that a teacher doesn't have a degree9Ie is unqualified by their definition), with additional allowances paid on top of basic if they have a primary degree, and further allowances for higher degrees.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 4:47 pm 

Liathroidigloine wrote:

The unions by a long shot.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 6:13 pm 

This is a jokeshop decision

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/social-a ... -1.3052079

A religious congregation which has failed to date to provide its share of funds to a redress scheme for institutional abuse victims, is to be given ownership of the new €300 million State-funded National Maternity Hospital.
The Sisters of Charity are the shareholders of the St Vincent’s Healthcare Group which the Department of Health said will be the “sole owner of the new hospital” which is to be built on a site at Elm Park in south Dublin.
The relocation of the hospital from Holles Street to the St Vincent’s hospital campus involves the largest single investment ever made in maternity services in the State. Proceeds from the sale of Holles Street will go towards funding the new maternity hospital.
A department spokesman said the “autonomy of the national maternity hospital board will be underpinned by reserved powers to ensure clinical and operational independence, and the Minister for Health will hold the power to protect those reserved powers”.

He said: “The financial interests of the State will be protected through a requirement for a lien to be placed on the hospital. The agreement also provides for proceeds from the sale of the NMH, Holles Street, to be invested in the new facility.”
A lien, he said, in this instance meant “a charge on the property in favour of the State in order to protect the State’s interest in the property”.
Ryan commission
The Sisters of Charity is one of 18 religious congregations which managed residential institutions for children investigated by the Ryan commission and was party to the 2002, €128-million indemnity agreement with the State.
Following publication of the Ryan report in 2009 the Sisters of Charity offered to contribute a further €5 million towards the €1.5 billion redress costs incurred by the State involving former residents of the institutions.

According to the Comptroller and Auditor General’s report last month the Sisters of Charity have contributed just €2 million of their 2009 offer to date.
The congregation has also to complete its contribution to the 2002 indemnity agreement. It owns one of 11 properties yet to be transferred to the State before terms of the 2002 agreement are fulfilled. The property concerned is the Sacred Heart Centre in Waterford, which will be transferred to the Health Service Executive.
In 2013 the Sisters of Charity, along with the three other religious congregations which managed Magdalene laundries, announced that they would not be making any contribution to the State redress scheme for women who had been in the laundries.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:12 pm 

I can't see the issue.
There needs to be management in place WRT to people with experience of dealing with looking after women, pregnancies and babies.
The sisters of charity have plenty of past experience with strong leadership.
Look no further than the Magdalene laundries...

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:19 pm 

yep makes sense

PS: https://my.uplift.ie/petitions/block-si ... are-button

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:23 pm 

The teachers unions are keeping me entertained this mid term, making full use of their two weeks paid holidays at Easter and still moaning about pay. On your bike lads.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:28 pm 

How can they complain about unequal pay when they were the ones who voted for it?

It's shit for the ones on the lower grades, but surely they sound be having a fight with their union, rather than having the same union nothing off.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:28 pm 

Duff Paddy wrote:
The teachers unions are keeping me entertained this mid term, making full use of their two weeks paid holidays at Easter and still moaning about pay. On your bike lads.

The ASTI delegates moaning because they are losing members because of their policies was particularly entertaining.

There is a simple answer, Comrades.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:31 pm 

Nolanator wrote:
How can they complain about unequal pay when they were the ones who voted for it?

It's shit for the ones on the lower grades, but surely they sound be having a fight with their union, rather than having the same union nothing off.

It comes down to the reason public sector unions exist - to benefit their existing members at the expense of everyone else

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:33 pm 

camroc1 wrote:
Duff Paddy wrote:

The ASTI delegates moaning because they are losing members because of their policies was particularly entertaining.

There is a simple answer, Comrades.

"My colleagues won't look me in the face when I walk down the corridor" yeah there's more to that than the union you're in love

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:53 pm 

Nolanator wrote:

Technically, I think they looked the other way rather than vote for it.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:34 am 

Recent aerial photo showing the enabling works for the North Runway at DUB. Note the lines of the grubbed out hedges in the fields, and the realigned Forrest Little road.

EDIT Regarding the teachers unequal pay, I can think of a simple way to make them equal - I doubt the teachers, despite all their smug self-satisfaction would agree to it.

I see the ASTI cúnts are threatening strike action in May. How professional of them. How dedicated to their vocation of them. How doing anything to help the students through their exams of them.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:38 am 

That is surely the most boring pic anyone has ever posted on PR. Congrats, its quite an achievement

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:43 am 

anonymous_joe wrote:
Nolanator wrote:

Technically, I think they looked the other way rather than vote for it.

ASTI is a basket case, plain and simple.

Their own head office staff are going on strike due to ASTI's failure to deal with issues of elected officials bullying and harassing staff.

If you think the irony of ASTI staff striking against their employer (the ASTI union) is a hoot, wait till you hear the best part .....

ASTI allow retired teachers to cast a ballot on strike action - meaning that of the slim majority of 52% that voted against Lansdowne Road and voted for walking out of the classrooms, there is a good portion that actually don't actually teach anymore!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:44 am 

sewa wrote:
That is surely the most boring pic anyone has ever posted on PR. Congrats, its quite an achievement

stfu you useless cvnt - if you have nothing to contribute then go away, you insufferable bore.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:45 am 

sewa wrote:

:lol:
You're tough but fair

Edit: heard a Dutch chap on the radio yesterday talking about developing circular runways with the airport at the centre to minimise the use of space. It would need to be done from scratch but it was interesting listening and would make for a better aerial photo.

Last edited by alliswell on Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:46 am 

sewa wrote:

You think so ?

I think it's quite an interesting picture in its own right, with a view of Dublin not normally seen, that is showing the Dublin and Wicklow mountains rising at the top, and the port from the north. Interestingly it mirrors a nineteenth century watercolour in the NGI collection, from the same unusual viewpoint.

(You want boring.............)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:46 am 

rfurlong wrote:
sewa wrote:

stfu you useless cvnt - if you have nothing to contribute then go away, you insufferable bore.

:yawn:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:49 am 

sewa wrote:
rfurlong wrote:
sewa wrote:

:yawn:

You sure you're a STEM graduate ? :P

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:50 am 

camroc1 wrote:
sewa wrote:

You think so ?

I think it's quite an interesting picture in its own right, with a view of Dublin not normally seen, that is showing the Dublin and Wicklow mountains rising at the top, and the port from the north. Interestingly it mirrors a nineteenth century watercolour in the NGI collection, from the same unusual viewpoint.

It also shows how much undeveloped land there is within a stones throw of the city.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:51 am 

http://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingne ... 86458.html

Great to see ambition of this nature returning to Ireland ..... visions of the future from entrepreneurs like this guy, are a far cry from the current political discourse

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:56 am 

I've not been to Cork for a few years but is this necessary? Have they filled the Elysian yet?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:56 am 

Liathroidigloine wrote:
camroc1 wrote:
sewa wrote:

You think so ?

It also shows how much undeveloped land there is within a stones throw of the city.

All that in the foreground is subject to airport restrictions.
However, it does show that a nice chunk of Sandymount Strand between Poolbeg and the existing linear park could be easily infilled to provide high quality resi etc, near the city centre, like the Back bay in Boston.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:58 am 

camroc1 wrote:
Recent aerial photo showing the enabling works for the North Runway at DUB. Note the lines of the grubbed out hedges in the fields, and the realigned Forrest Little road.

EDIT Regarding the teachers unequal pay, I can think of a simple way to make them equal - I doubt the teachers, despite all their smug self-satisfaction would agree to it.

I see the ASTI cúnts are threatening strike action in May. How professional of them. How dedicated to their vocation of them. How doing anything to help the students through their exams of them.

Take that you Portmarnock cúnts

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 12:00 pm 

rfurlong wrote:
http://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/skys-no-limit-for-new-cork-as-40-storey-towerproposed-for-port-site-786458.html

Great to see ambition of this nature returning to Ireland ..... visions of the future from entrepreneurs like this guy, are a far cry from the current political discourse

:thumbup:

Nice to see. I don't envy them their route through planning with Cork City Council though.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 12:01 pm 

The North County is some of the best farmland in the country you bastards :x

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 12:04 pm 

rfurlong wrote:
http://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/skys-no-limit-for-new-cork-as-40-storey-towerproposed-for-port-site-786458.html

There is huge potential along the marina, the current port which will move to Ringaskiddy, port of Cork and railway site for high density housing with easy access to the city. Planning has been issued for the O' Callaghan offices which can take 3,000 people and this would be perfect. It's a lovely area on the river and the land is there if they can drive on with getting the offices built and supporting apartments which will now be critically needed if you are to put 5,000+ people in here commuting daily. The opportunity to diversify away from Dublin here for the government is massive but incentives need to be given and infrastructure developed.

Those Kerry lads are some boys btw. Went out without a tuppenny between and then went on to develop skyscrapers in Times Square. My old boss out there arrived around the same time as them and they are your american dream on a postcard kind of spiel.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 12:06 pm 

alliswell wrote:
I've not been to Cork for a few years but is this necessary? Have they filled the Elysian yet?

It is offices and a hotel, maybe some apartments.

Apartments are desperately needed in tandem with this. The Elysian is NAMA owned now and they should just sell it as they are making a pigs ear of trying to manage it.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 1:38 pm 

The CSO has published the housing stats from last years census.

http://www.cso.ie/en/csolatestnews/pres ... inireland/

They confirm that our current housing crisis is almost entirely supply led, with an increase in the housing stock between 2011 and 2016 of 8,800 (0.4%), compared with an increase of 225,292 between 2006 and 2011. This shows what happens when you put an entire industry to the sword, and also puts into perspective an awful of the shite that was spouted about 2011 about Ireland not needing another house built for 30 years.

As some of us pointed out at the time, demographics, dear boy, demographics.

Some of the other interesting stats include a 15% decrease in the number of vacant units; and that home ownership levels at 67.6% are at their lowest level since 1971.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 31599 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 775, 776, 777, 778, 779, 780, 781 ... 790  Next