It is currently Tue Dec 11, 2018 1:07 pm

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please read the forum rules

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 7:23 pm 

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 8:52 pm 

Oh dear,

Indy 500

de Silvestro out on Lap 9 and Legge & Beatriz the last two finishers.

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 10:15 pm 

Well, no one would have shone in the Lotus ...

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 11:29 pm 

Added Collete Davis and Shannon McIntosh to main post.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 4:02 pm 

DOLOMITE wrote:
KateLM wrote:
I'd go even further and say the reason why no women are winning at the top levels (and therefore aren't going to get into F1) is because none of the ones currently trying are good enough. Take Pippa Mann, for example. She got two years in a credible F1 feeder series in Fr3.5, not driving bad machinery either, which was a great chance to show the teams what she could do - and what she did was naff all worth mentioning. I do have a feeling that Powell will luck into a lower end points position in GP3 sooner or later and the British media will wet themselves with excitement. But the F1 teams will be looking at the drivers who are actually competing up at the front.

It's not that no woman can be good enough, it's that when you have so few girls karting with the boys aged 8 that the likelihood of a good one making it through the ranks is extremely slim. The amount of girls at this level does seem to be on the up in recent years but it's going to take close to a decade for the effects of that to be seen.

Absolutely, but the likelihood of making it through the ranks isn't based on %'s -even if they''re the only female racing, if they are good enough - i.e win, they can progress. I'm loving the fact that the GP3 field has got so many girls, but in all honestly none have them have racing CV's that suggest they are there solely on merit. And don't mention de Villota....

Thanks for reminding me about Pippa though, will add her. She was due to join the i1 Super Series, but that's been put back a year.

Oh and if you enjoyes Tillets site check this out: Duno

Yes, but the percentage odds of a woman getting to a position of success are also based on how many try. Many people who display talent in Karting don't progress through the ranks for many reasons besides talent (money, motivation etc). Women are already (not necessarily consciously) percieved by many as being worse than men at motor racing. Add this to the fact that not many women get into karting in the first place (let alone early enough for a good shot at an F1 career), and we are already looking at a situation in which it's much harder for a woman to find success than a man of equal talent. And that's without taking into account the apparent bias towards physical appearance.

I find it very illuminating, and just as troubling, that so many of the female drivers have also done modelling. There is a huge difference between "model" and "ugly". Most people fit somewhere in the middle. So why are so many female drivers good looking enough to be models? I really don't like jumping to conclusions and carelessly accusing people of sexism, but I find it very difficult to see anything else in this situation. All I see is a male dominated sport in which any female who catches a break just so happens to be hot. That is one hell of a coincidence.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 9:57 am 

Bahamut19 wrote:
DOLOMITE wrote:
KateLM wrote:
I'd go even further and say the reason why no women are winning at the top levels (and therefore aren't going to get into F1) is because none of the ones currently trying are good enough. Take Pippa Mann, for example. She got two years in a credible F1 feeder series in Fr3.5, not driving bad machinery either, which was a great chance to show the teams what she could do - and what she did was naff all worth mentioning. I do have a feeling that Powell will luck into a lower end points position in GP3 sooner or later and the British media will wet themselves with excitement. But the F1 teams will be looking at the drivers who are actually competing up at the front.

It's not that no woman can be good enough, it's that when you have so few girls karting with the boys aged 8 that the likelihood of a good one making it through the ranks is extremely slim. The amount of girls at this level does seem to be on the up in recent years but it's going to take close to a decade for the effects of that to be seen.

Absolutely, but the likelihood of making it through the ranks isn't based on %'s -even if they''re the only female racing, if they are good enough - i.e win, they can progress. I'm loving the fact that the GP3 field has got so many girls, but in all honestly none have them have racing CV's that suggest they are there solely on merit. And don't mention de Villota....

Thanks for reminding me about Pippa though, will add her. She was due to join the i1 Super Series, but that's been put back a year.

Yes, but the percentage odds of a woman getting to a position of success are also based on how many try. Many people who display talent in Karting don't progress through the ranks for many reasons besides talent (money, motivation etc). Women are already (not necessarily consciously) percieved by many as being worse than men at motor racing. Add this to the fact that not many women get into karting in the first place (let alone early enough for a good shot at an F1 career), and we are already looking at a situation in which it's much harder for a woman to find success than a man of equal talent. And that's without taking into account the apparent bias towards physical appearance.

I find it very illuminating, and just as troubling, that so many of the female drivers have also done modelling. There is a huge difference between "model" and "ugly". Most people fit somewhere in the middle. So why are so many female drivers good looking enough to be models? I really don't like jumping to conclusions and carelessly accusing people of sexism, but I find it very difficult to see anything else in this situation. All I see is a male dominated sport in which any female who catches a break just so happens to be hot. That is one hell of a coincidence.

So you think a female racing driver has to be attractive to be appealing to sponsors? I'd tend to agree. If you look at the US F2000 website they list the sponsor for each drivers and the ladies always have more.

But should it be troubling as you put it? Could the same not be said of male drivers? We often hear talk of drivers like Hamilton, Button and Rosberg being sponsor friendly as they have significant marketing potential.

Where do you differentiate between

and

or...

Most drivers would readliy sell a kidney if it got them a seat for a season. You use what you have to get where you want surely?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 10:15 am 

I have to say it does look like ultimately there simply aren't any good enough female drivers out there at the minute.

I hate to say it, because it sounds terrible, but until we get someone of a Schumacher/Senna (Hamilton?) level then we're not going to see women truly succeed in F1. As soon as we get that first one, many more will follow.

I have no doubts that out there right now there are plenty of female drivers who could be (or could have been) F1 standard...but let's face it, there still aren't that many girls (and parents) willing to go through the whole process of karting and junior formulae. It's why you so often see that the female drivers have a family connection to motorsport, simply because it's not an unusual thought for them. But look at most parents of young girls, and karting is the last thing on their mind as a potential hobby.

...oh, and just to clarify...is it sexist if I'm more attracted to girls if they know how to clip an apex?

Got a bit of a thing for Susie Wolff... :twisted: :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 5:22 pm 

Bahamut19 wrote:
DOLOMITE wrote:
KateLM wrote:

I'm sure there are far more handsome drivers than ugly drivers on the male side, too.

BTW, Simona de Silvestro, Ana Beatriz, Katherine Legge, and Sarah Fisher don't qualify as the "model" type IMO. One or two of them are cute at best, and none of them are hot.

As for the women coming up through the ranks, who knows if any of the really pretty girls will even get to the pro ranks. We still have to wait on that. Of the ones who have become pros, I wouldn't be surprised if the ratio of "hot" to "not" is more on the "not" side.

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 11:03 pm 

****bump****!

Updates to follow..

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 12:28 am 

DownUnder we have Chelsea Angelo zipping around in open wheelers....

http://www.chelseaangelo.com.au/

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 8:23 pm 

Viggen wrote:
DownUnder we have Chelsea Angelo zipping around in open wheelers....
http://www.chelseaangelo.com.au/

Added - thank-you! Looks like she is pretty handy too. One to watch.

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 1:01 am 

DOLOMITE wrote:
The GP3 girls line up.

They actually look hot. Names? So we can follow their brilliant careers I'm sure [straight face]...

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 9:10 am 

justmoi wrote:
DOLOMITE wrote:
The GP3 girls line up.

They actually look hot. Names? So we can follow their brilliant careers I'm sure [straight face]...

well that was 2012 but see first post in topic. Left to right Vicky Piria, Carmen Jorda and Alice Powell.

So 3 female drivers in a high-level competitive single seater series. All did the full schedule.

Final Standings (tm = teammates placing)

19th = Alice Powell (tm 10th)
26th = Vicky Piria (tm 13th despite only doing half the season)
28th = Carmen Jorda (tm 9th)

Only Alice Powell actually scored a point.

Q: Why are there so few women driving in the top motorsport categories ?
A: Because there are so few winning in the lower categories ..

So the question people really should ask is "Why are there so few women driving in the lower motorsport categories?"

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 9:13 am 

DOLOMITE wrote:
justmoi wrote:
DOLOMITE wrote:
The GP3 girls line up.

well that was 2012 but see first post in topic. Left to right Vicky Piria, Carmen Jorda and Alice Powell.

So 3 female drivers in a high-level competitive single seater series. All did the full schedule.

Final Standings (tm = teammates placing)

19th = Alice Powell (tm 10th)
26th = Vicky Piria (tm 13th despite only doing half the season)
28th = Carmen Jorda (tm 9th)

Only Alice Powell actually scored a point.

Q: Why are there so few women driving in the top motorsport categories ?
A: Because there are so few winning in the lower categories ..

So the question people really should ask is "Why are there so few women driving in the lower motorsport categories?"

Cheers mate :thumbup:

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 10:50 am 

justmoi wrote:
DOLOMITE wrote:
The GP3 girls line up.

Vicky Piria is now over in the States doing Star Mazda.
Carmen Jorda is still in GP3 (and still at the back).
Alice Powell went the F3 Cup series and finished 2nd last year, now moving into British F3 this year.

I'm expecting better things from Beitske Visser in GP3 this year (though not expecting too much from her in FR3.5, I think it's too big a jump).

It's a shame that British GT starlet Zoe Wenham isn't doing GTs this year. She was a multiple race-winner in the GT4 class, but instead of being able to step up to GT3 she was dropped entirely.
I'm perplexed.

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 11:32 am 

Lentulus wrote:

Vicky Piria is now over in the States doing Star Mazda.
Carmen Jorda is still in GP3 (and still at the back).
Alice Powell went the F3 Cup series and finished 2nd last year, now moving into British F3 this year.

I'm expecting better things from Beitske Visser in GP3 this year (though not expecting too much from her in FR3.5, I think it's too big a jump).

It's a shame that British GT starlet Zoe Wenham isn't doing GTs this year. She was a multiple race-winner in the GT4 class, but instead of being able to step up to GT3 she was dropped entirely.
I'm perplexed.

Thanks for the update on Alice Powell I'd missed that - 1st post updated.

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 12:14 pm 

Just saw this on autosport - Simona has had her first of 2 tests in an old Sauber and looks to be pushing for a seat in Sauber next year. It looks like she is hoping to get a superlicense this year to allow her to complete in a couple of FP sessions.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/113848

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 12:33 pm 

angrypirate wrote:
Just saw this on autosport - Simona has had her first of 2 tests in an old Sauber and looks to be pushing for a seat in Sauber next year. It looks like she is hoping to get a superlicense this year to allow her to complete in a couple of FP sessions.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/113848

Indeed. Thread here

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 11:36 am 

Renee Gracie is a young lady who started in karts and may get a good chance in Oz Porsche series.

http://www.porsche.com/australia/aboutp ... 9b2ba50cd2

Hayley Swanson was a Miss Indy model that turned to V8 Brutes Utes racing...

http://prelive.themercury.com.au/images ... 239171.JPG

I think there are a few more ladies in Oz doing the racing thing, though they are not at the level most here would expect one needs to get into F1 now or anytime soon. Still, a few of the ladies are mixing it up on the tracks. :thumbup:

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 12:07 pm 

DOLOMITE wrote:
So the question people really should ask is "Why are there so few women driving in the lower motorsport categories?

Because women don't want to be racing drivers.

Yes there are exceptions but they are very much in the minority.

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 8:14 am 

Viggen wrote:
Renee Gracie is a young lady who started in karts and may get a good chance in Oz Porsche series.

http://www.porsche.com/australia/aboutp ... 9b2ba50cd2

Hayley Swanson was a Miss Indy model that turned to V8 Brutes Utes racing...

http://prelive.themercury.com.au/images ... 239171.JPG

I think there are a few more ladies in Oz doing the racing thing, though they are not at the level most here would expect one needs to get into F1 now or anytime soon. Still, a few of the ladies are mixing it up on the tracks. :thumbup:

Thanks for that.

Couple of updates applied to first page and I'll look into these two a bit later.

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 8:26 am 

DOLOMITE, how about some of those stat threads you used to do back in the day? Pretty please? :D

PF1 Pick 10 Competition 2016: CHAMPION (2 wins, 8 podiums)

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 10:39 am 

Covalent wrote:
DOLOMITE, how about some of those stat threads you used to do back in the day? Pretty please? :D

:)

Hmm, I'd love to but have 2 problems 1) lack of time 2) database is 2 years out of date.

I'll try and get a bit of time to get it updated then see what I can do. Anything particular in mind?

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 10:49 am 

DOLOMITE wrote:
Covalent wrote:

Hmm, I'd love to but have 2 problems 1) lack of time 2) database is 2 years out of date.

I'll try and get a bit of time to get it updated then see what I can do. Anything particular in mind?

The WDC countdown to begin with? You don't even need an up-to-date database for that!

PF1 Pick 10 Competition 2016: CHAMPION (2 wins, 8 podiums)

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 1:01 pm 

Covalent wrote:
DOLOMITE wrote:
Covalent wrote:

The WDC countdown to begin with? You don't even need an up-to-date database for that!

Good point! I'll try and get it on later today.

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 8:54 am 

Pippa Man the sole female entry in this years Indy 500 by the looks of it. 25/33 runners in the most recent practice session. Team mates Justin Wilson and Carlos Huertas 23rd and 15th respectively.

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 9:06 am 

Susie Wolff 5th out of 11 runners in testing on 14th May.

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 9:52 pm 

DOLOMITE wrote:
Pippa Man the sole female entry in this years Indy 500 by the looks of it. 25/33 runners in the most recent practice session. Team mates Justin Wilson and Carlos Huertas 23rd and 15th respectively.

Pippa qualifies 22/33 for Indy, just head of Sato and a few places ahead of a certain J Villeneuve...

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 10:02 pm 

DOLOMITE wrote:
DOLOMITE wrote:

Pippa qualifies 22/33 for Indy, just head of Sato and a few places ahead of a certain J Villeneuve...

.. and finished 24th - last finisher.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 10:05 pm 

Meanwhile Columbian Tatiana Calderon finished 5th in Euro F3 today at Spa.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 10:18 pm 

added Barbara Kubicka doing Ginetta. Bizarrely her day job a respected aesthetic medicine physician: http://www.drbarbarakubicka.co.uk/

so that's unusual...

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 2:15 pm 

Sirotkin feels de Silvestro was signed as a marketing ploy:http://www.planetf1.com/driver/18227/9362318/Sirotkin-De-Silvestro-a-marketing-ploy

Maybe, but considering he came with some pretty hefty Russian sponsorship, isn't this a bit hypocritical?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 8:08 pm 

DOLOMITE wrote:
Sirotkin feels de Silvestro was signed as a marketing ploy:http://www.planetf1.com/driver/18227/9362318/Sirotkin-De-Silvestro-a-marketing-ploy

Maybe, but considering he came with some pretty hefty Russian sponsorship, isn't this a bit hypocritical?

Sirotkin hasn't done a lot in FR3.5 to suggest he should make the step up. Sounds a lot like sour grapes from him.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 8:51 pm 

huggybear wrote:
DOLOMITE wrote:

Sirotkin hasn't done a lot in FR3.5 to suggest he should make the step up. Sounds a lot like sour grapes from him.

Not a good move on his part to call out Monisha.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 9:41 am 

Katherine Legge will race in Formula E for Amlin Aguri.

http://www.fiaformulae.com/en/news/2014 ... ula-e.aspx

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 10:01 am 

DOLOMITE wrote:

The guy comes across as a bit of a berk to be honest, maybe jealous that Kvyat is also very young and Russian but likeable and fast? Maybe it is a marketing ploy but she's a competent driver and it isn't his place to comment on that anyway.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 10:16 am 

Michela Cerutti wins in GP3! First woman to take a win in this series.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 2:15 pm 

DOLOMITE wrote:

Auto Gp that would be. Not quite so impressive but still a great achievement.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 3:29 pm 

Ashley Freiberg drives in the GS class of the Continental Tire Sports Car Challenege (CTSCC)

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 6:02 pm 

TakumaSatoforthewin wrote:
DOLOMITE wrote:

Auto Gp that would be. Not quite so impressive but still a great achievement.

oops my part, sorry! didn't see the race but from the report she had to fight for it.