planetf1.com

It is currently Sat Nov 23, 2019 1:01 am

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please read the forum rules

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 11:33 am 

pokerman wrote:
Alaaddin wrote:
The odd delay for a competitive drive for Hulkenberg is due to the Vettel. Fate impedes these two from becoming direct rivals.

Hulk will be The Man to Beat after Vettel era.

Yes i'm sure the Hulk being 1 month younger than old man Vettel will make all the difference :lol:
So you understood that stuff from my post which caused a laugh. Good. Now, i am even more hopeful of Hulkenberg.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 4:10 pm 

Force India drive is better than Marussia or Caterham. I hope he improves his best finishing position with 2014 FI car. He is skillful enough to be hopeful for the future. He couldn't get a competitive drive from his very first race, but it is better to hone skills further in midfield than losing a certain Championship at last races through rookie mistakes. He is not a great yet, so he has to look for the things which can make drivers a Legend. To achieve legend status, a competitive seat is not a MUST. If he deserves it, that greatness will come to him with one way or another. I think he did better choices by turning down Ferrari drives for 2009 and 2014. Hulk knows he has to improve.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 4:43 pm 

Did Hulk turn down the 2014 Ferrari drive? I thought it was Ferrari who turned him down and he was quite disappointed about it.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 4:48 pm 

FlyingScot wrote:
Did Hulk turn down the 2014 Ferrari drive? I thought it was Ferrari who turned him down and he was quite disappointed about it.

They chose Raikkonen instead once they knew he was available.

No one call anyone a moo-pickle...

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 5:40 pm 

FlyingScot wrote:

Also the mind boggles how he was fortunate not to have the opportunities that Hamilton had :?

2013: 5th Place
2014: Champion
2015: 3rd Place
2016: 4th Place

2017: 9th Place
2018: 7th place

Wins: Canada 2018, Abu Dhabi 2017
Podiums: (8)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 6:06 pm 

FlyingScot wrote:
Mixed, half-closed reports tell different things about it. Hulk is more cunning than many know. Hulk was saying "My performance won't be enough" after Monza and Korea GP's. Even in this thread there are different news of who turned whom. I was very sad when Ferrari said "We chose Raikkonen", but many strange things happened after that news, telling different things. There are more than outside reports gave us about that issue. But in the end, IMO, Hulk was saved with a non-Ferrari drive. Because, as we know, Hulk does not have huge sponsors against Santander of Alonso at Ferrari. Of course i do not blame Fernando due to a serious backing, but that Bank won't be happy if Hulk with no championships to his name beats 2xWDC. At least there was a possibility of it due to Hulk's pre-F1 career and his recent incredible performances. He was even beating Ferrari's #1 at some races with same engine with a midfield team. There was a concern about this, so Ferrari selected the safest option of Highly Rated WDC Raikkonen.

To sum it up; Ferrari NEEDED TO give the seat to experienced famous Raikkonen. So, both sides had to turn down each side. Strange but true.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 6:52 pm 

Alaaddin wrote:
FlyingScot wrote:
Mixed, half-closed reports tell different things about it. Hulk is more cunning than many know. Hulk was saying "My performance won't be enough" after Monza and Korea GP's. Even in this thread there are different news of who turned whom. I was very sad when Ferrari said "We chose Raikkonen", but many strange things happened after that news, telling different things. There are more than outside reports gave us about that issue. But in the end, IMO, Hulk was saved with a non-Ferrari drive. Because, as we know, Hulk does not have huge sponsors against Santander of Alonso at Ferrari. Of course i do not blame Fernando due to a serious backing, but that Bank won't be happy if Hulk with no championships to his name beats 2xWDC. At least there was a possibility of it due to Hulk's pre-F1 career and his recent incredible performances. He was even beating Ferrari's #1 at some races with same engine with a midfield team. There was a concern about this, so Ferrari selected the safest option of Highly Rated WDC Raikkonen.

To sum it up; Ferrari NEEDED TO give the seat to experienced famous Raikkonen. So, both sides had to turn down each side. Strange but true.

So the Hulk turned down Ferrari? ok..............

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 7:13 pm 

pokerman wrote:
Alaaddin wrote:
FlyingScot wrote:

So the Hulk turned down Ferrari? ok..............
Hulkenberg must be proud of you.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 7:26 pm 

I dont think Hulk did turn down Ferrari, we know he pretty much had a contract offer until the point where Raikkonen was signed.

Way I see it he either took too long to sign, Raikkonen became available after negotiations with Red Bull broke down, the rest is history.

Or Hulk had provisionally signed a contract & was willing to go to Ferrari, Raikkonen became available, Ferrari pushed Hulk aside to sign the WDC.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 4:04 pm 

After Hulkenberg's stellar 2013 season, some people had said "Sauber has better design team than Ferrari". Maybe, the time has come for them to say similar things about Hulk's current team this year.

In 2013, he was battling with multiple World Champion Fernando with Sauber, now with Force India. It is an incredibly unusual thing if Scuderia Ferrari Team produced a car slower than Sauber last year, and slower than FI this year. Fortunately, there is another, more logical explanation of this situation. There is a racer out there without a WDC to his name possessing unique racing level screaming when on-track racing, but remain silent when off-track working.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 4:06 pm 

Nico is a good a driver, he does all he can with the car he drives, sadly the pit stop made him go behind the ferrari maybe he could have kept that 5th place

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 2:34 am 

The Hulkster. I like the way he operates. Goes out, drives as fast as his machine will allow, defends as if his life depends on it, is fair to other drivers, remains calm, looks handsome, doesn't complain...regardless of what team he's in. Not going to Lotus was now a masterstroke.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 4:41 am 

Atleast fortune has not completely deserted him.

Last year, when it was clear that Lotus had a vacant seat, Hulk was also in the running, but they chose Maldonado. At that time, I said "Sheesh, Hulk again lost a good seat".

But come 2014, I'm very happy for Hulk as he didn't get the Lotus seat for obvious reasons. He being with Force India, may achieve a podium or two.

Yesterday, he looked quite good during the 1st half of the race. He was suffering from front left tyre graining otherwise he wouldn't have lost a position to Alonso & maybe Button even.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 5:19 am 

Thought Sunday was a great drive from him. The machinery isn't really top midfield yet and he frustrated Alonso again which is always nice:) It's also 3-0 vs Checo if I'm not mistaken. He's performing well again and hopefully he'll get the silverware to prove it at some point this year:)

Top Three Overall: 5th (2013)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 7:23 am 

Alaaddin wrote:

Frankly that somewhat contradicts the usually quite reliable German media sources. According to them, Nico was ready and willing to sign a contract with Ferrari. They had concluded negotiations, the paperwork was with Ferrari and all they basically had to do was sign as well. That's when Kimi became available ("my performance won't be enough" mirroring the sudden hesitation on Ferrari's part) and Ferrari didn't follow through, which was also why Hulk's manager was really p*ssed with the Italians and complained to the media (more or less: "all they did was send me a text message, what kind of manners are those?").

Also, given the resources Ferrari has, Force India might be able to compete in a few races, but over the course of a season it does make a difference if you have 2-3 times as much money.

Hülkenberg not driving for Lotus was kind of a mutual decision, though, which now seems like a good decision by Hülkenberg.
However, after the first race one could say that signing Raikkönen was maybe not the best decision by Ferrari. Hulk was faster than Kimi in what - judging by Alonso's pace - was a slower car.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 11:24 am 

That was a Hulkenbergesque showdown. The brightest shining star during this years Malaysian GP. In 2013, i have been rating him as 2nd best on the grid behind 4xWDC, thus he makes me so proud with his performances consistently in qualifying and races. I wish him the best. May the Fortune shine upon HULK and his career for what he has done so far. He has consistently fought and battled with numerous champions on legendary teams with midfield cars. Above all else, Hulk earned my bulletproof esteem from these wondrous race weekends, racing ethics and well spoken interviews.

from http://share-gif.com/

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 11:35 am 

Alaaddin wrote:
That was a Hulkenbergesque showdown. The brightest shining star during this years Malaysian GP. In 2013, i have been rating him as 2nd best on the grid behind 4xWDC, thus he makes me so proud with his performances consistently in qualifying and races. I wish him the best. May the Fortune shine upon HULK and his career for what he has done so far. He has consistently fought and battled with numerous champions on legendary teams with midfield cars. Above all else, Hulk earned my bulletproof esteem from these wondrous race weekends, racing ethics and well spoken interviews.

from http://share-gif.com/

You are correct.

He surely is Class, ain't he?

Thankfully, he didn't get a drive at Lotus otherwise he would hardly be racing. Don't know if Raikonnen is struggling in the Ferrari, the man who was chosen over Hulk for the Ferrari seat. Maybe Hulk could've done better?

Hulk has to be 1 of he drivers to watch during this whole season. He deserves a podium for sure now.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 11:39 am 

and dare I say, hulk would probably do better than Rai in that Ferrari. Hopefully he gets picked by a big team soon.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 11:42 am 

Hulk never fails to impress, whatever team he is with, whoever he is racing the guy just looks a top tier driver, I really fail to see what more he can do to ensure he is given a top seat for a future season. I think it's a shame that Kimi was given the seat over Hulk, don't get me wrong as Kimi's a very good driver but as many other people think (as do I), Hulk is rapidly becoming one of the top three drivers on the grid, if a 'top three' even exists.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 4:08 pm 

It's a pity none of the top drives will be available for Hulk in 2015. Mag is long term for McLaren. Is Button on a one year contract? Hopefully, he doesn't get overlooked again. It's quite frightening already what he can do with average cars.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 4:24 pm 

trento wrote:
It's a pity none of the top drives will be available for Hulk in 2015. Mag is long term for McLaren. Is Button on a one year contract? Hopefully, he doesn't get overlooked again. It's quite frightening already what he can do with average cars.

It's not just that he is driving average cars, the people who are responsible for making important decisions in the top teams have a very 'average' mindset & perception of the future by not signing him instead.

Infact Kevin Magnussen could thank Hulk.

Had McLaren taken Hulk instead of Perez, McLaren would've probably stayed with Hulk & Magnussen would've had to wait a little longer to get a F1 seat.

All this is Hypothetical.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 4:45 pm 

The soonest opportunity for a top seat would be 2016 when a few contracts are up for renewal, i think there's no chance at Red Bull unless Vettel were to leave, i can see Kimi not being at Ferrari for 2016, will Button still be at McLaren for 2016, these are the two oldest drivers in F1 i believe, i guess it depends on their future performance as well.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 8:20 am 

UnlikeUday wrote:
trento wrote:

It's not just that he is driving average cars, the people who are responsible for making important decisions in the top teams have a very 'average' mindset & perception of the future by not signing him instead.

Infact Kevin Magnussen could thank Hulk.

Had McLaren taken Hulk instead of Perez, McLaren would've probably stayed with Hulk & Magnussen would've had to wait a little longer to get a F1 seat.

All this is Hypothetical.

I think the top teams except Ferrari prefer continuity in taking drivers from their junior ranks. Still, it's shocking to overlook a driver who on a yearly basis thrashes his teammate. I believe the team most likely to sign Hulk would be Ferrari, if Kimi falls way behind Alonso. Usually contracts come with performance clauses so Kimi's place is not a given.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 1:01 pm 

Hulkenberg is now third in the 2014 Drivers' Championship battle with 28 points. If he has a trouble-free weekend in China, I fully expect his first podium to happen.

A collision between Mercedes-GP drivers is now plausible after the events at Bahrain GP.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 5:29 pm 

I've had a keen eye on Hulkenberg ever since he made me sit up and watch his perfectly nailed Brazilian GP pole lap years back.

And after his ecstatic banter in Bahrain on the team radio and fair racing with his teammate Perez (along with fair wheel to wheel racing throughout his F1 career really), I have indeed taken to the guy. He may have knocked Kimi off my favorite driver pedestal. I'm now hoping he races for McLaren-Honda should Jenson retire soon.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 5:31 pm 

I think Nico will certainly be my favourite driver when Kimi eventually leaves F1 for the final time. He's a top chap with a whole load of talent.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 5:36 pm 

I'm considering changing my avatar image from my idol Alain Prost to a nice pic of Nico H.

If somebody can suggest a nice image for the avatar...

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 5:36 pm 

flavio81 wrote:
I'm considering changing my avatar image from my idol Alain Prost to a nice pic of Nico H.

Any with his top off...

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 5:38 pm 

Laura23 wrote:
I think Nico will certainly be my favourite driver when Kimi eventually leaves F1 for the final time. He's a top chap with a whole load of talent.

Laura, I was long time impressed by him when he dominated a season in the A1GP series.

What maybe cost him 4th place in the race could be due to his driving style. He probably is as aggressive as Alonso whereas Perez is as smooth as Button. In the end, the tyre performance dictated the terms. However, he is class, so I'm not complaining. This was observed by Edd Straw when I was following Autosport's live commentary during the Bahrain practice. It was noticed that Hulk sometimes struggled to get on the power early after exiting the tricky turn 10, whereas Perez due to his gentler driving, could exit that corner faster. It is believed, this cost Hulk getting a place in the top 10 during qualification.

I would've been much happier had Hulk scored his maiden podium because for the talent that he is, he deserves one as he has come so close on a few occasions on claiming his maiden podium.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 5:46 pm 

A few of us watch the GPs together and since 2012 when Hulkeneberg started popping up into the points regularly, and that great run of form at the end of last year, we literally stare at the leaderboard and whenever he pops up the order in qualifying or the race, we all call out 'It's the Hulkster!' Been doing that quite a lot lately and it's one of the few good parts left in F1 for me!

I bet Alonso says the same thing every time he finds himself stuck behind (and now defending against) him. Probably looks in his mirrors, shakes his head and says 'Not again....It's the Hulkster!!'

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 6:54 pm 

I have been a big Fan of Hulk from his GP2 time on.
I was wondering why he had such a big trouble year at Williams,
but I think that might have been down to a vast change in Tire compound
compared to GP2.
I honestly think he is the fastest man on track, but that's just subjective.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 7:50 pm 

flavio81 wrote:

http://images.planetf1.com/13/02/800x60 ... 902515.jpg
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-9aRkgdIFMB0/U ... flects.jpg
http://www.grandprix.com/jpeg/phc/pbra1 ... rg1-rg.jpg
http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/dam/assets ... ry-top.jpg
http://grandprix247.com/wp-content/uplo ... 40x425.jpg
http://www.f1.co.uk/read-news/wp-conten ... enberg.jpg

You know it all comes to personal preferences when it comes to an avatar. The selected portion of photo is vital to have a good effect.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 8:10 pm 

flavio81 wrote:

There's a pic of him and Seb as kids. Seb you can recognize, but Nico.........no way. You should use that one.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 5:52 am 

UnlikeUday wrote:
What maybe cost him 4th place in the race could be due to his driving style. He probably is as aggressive as Alonso whereas Perez is as smooth as Button. In the end, the tyre performance dictated the terms. However, he is class, so I'm not complaining. This was observed by Edd Straw when I was following Autosport's live commentary during the Bahrain practice. It was noticed that Hulk sometimes struggled to get on the power early after exiting the tricky turn 10, whereas Perez due to his gentler driving, could exit that corner faster. It is believed, this cost Hulk getting a place in the top 10 during qualification.

True. He also powerslided exiting Turn 10 during the race, right after he overtook Massa. Great race nonetheless.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 5:28 pm 

Hülkenberg will race in Le Mans this year :)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 6:45 pm 

Schumacher forever#1 wrote:
Hülkenberg will race in Le Mans this year :)

And also the Spa round. Quite interesting to see how he gets on

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 4:04 pm 

So what is the assesment of the Hulk after this season?

I put him on tier 2 round about Button's level, so a sort of top 6 or top 10 driver

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 8:15 pm 

Yeah, I expected more from him this season. He had a poor mid-season form ever since he crashed into Perez at Hungary. Then, not sure if the confirmation of his driver next year was the reason, but he did step up and be in the mix again since like Austin. He's one of my favourite drivers, so I was a little annoyed to see that Perez could better him at some venues, telling us that he isn't a fantastic driver. Id put him in the tier two category as well, he'd be a match for Button and Rosberg in my books.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 4:26 pm 

Great result by Hulk today.

Seems the LeMans victory has boosted his morale.

:thumbup:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 9:52 am 

Nico deserves a Ferrari drive. Give him two years to see how he handles himself vs. Seb.