planetf1.com

It is currently Thu Nov 14, 2019 5:43 am

All times are UTC


Forum rules


Please read the forum rules



Post new topic Reply to topic
Author Message
PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 10:03 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Feb 12, 2012 2:53 pm
Posts: 8055
Location: Mumbai, India
NetWorKzz wrote:
Nico deserves a Ferrari drive. Give him two years to see how he handles himself vs. Seb.


It seems Bottas may head to Ferrari.

But a Williams seat will still be great for he Hulk.

Don't know why but I feel he's going to be rewarded with a seat that he deserves for 2016.

_________________
Feel The Fourth


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 12:36 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:30 pm
Posts: 33073
The Hulk is certainly on a roll, two great races in F1 following on from his Le Mans victory but is the timing right?

Imagine if it was a month later, Kimi who has been under pressure to perform and who's option is up for renewal in a few days has just crashed himself and Alonso out of the race after losing control of his Ferrari, this after another bad qualifying session. While Bottas the favourite to replace Kimi if he leaves has just been well beaten by his teammate a driver who was basically sacked by Ferrari quite recently, whom might they pick given the Hulk's recent performances?

However there are two more races before Ferrari have to be thinking about what to do next and in that time the situation might change.

_________________
PF1 Pick 10 Competition

2013: 5th Place
2014: Champion
2015: 3rd Place
2016: 4th Place

2017: 9th Place
2018: 7th place

Wins: Canada 2018, Abu Dhabi 2017
Podiums: (8)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 12:56 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 14, 2012 5:44 pm
Posts: 1058
I don't think it's a coincidence that the Hulk seems re-invigorated and Kimi is struggling.

_________________
Pick 10 Competition:
2013 - 10th
2014 - 9th
2015 - 6th


Pick 10 Podiums:
1st Place: USA 2012, Japan 2013, USA 2015
2nd Place: Bahrain 2015, Barcelona 2015
3rd Place: China 2014


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 1:02 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:30 pm
Posts: 33073
coulthards chin wrote:
I don't think it's a coincidence that the Hulk seems re-invigorated and Kimi is struggling.

You make that sound like the Hulk knows something that we do not?

_________________
PF1 Pick 10 Competition

2013: 5th Place
2014: Champion
2015: 3rd Place
2016: 4th Place

2017: 9th Place
2018: 7th place

Wins: Canada 2018, Abu Dhabi 2017
Podiums: (8)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 1:14 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Feb 12, 2012 2:53 pm
Posts: 8055
Location: Mumbai, India
coulthards chin wrote:
I don't think it's a coincidence that the Hulk seems re-invigorated and Kimi is struggling.


With due respect to Kimi, if Ferrari decide not to retain him, then does Bottas or Hulkenberg have a better chance to join Scuderia?

Wouldn't Kimi's replacement be termed as driver no. 2? In this case, Bottas wouldn't prefer being the shadow of Vettel whereas Hulk wouldn't mind as he'll get a big break & he has to consider the age factor as well.

If Bottas does go to Ferrari, Hulk getting to join Williams would be awesome as well.

_________________
Feel The Fourth


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 1:18 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 14, 2012 5:44 pm
Posts: 1058
pokerman wrote:
coulthards chin wrote:
I don't think it's a coincidence that the Hulk seems re-invigorated and Kimi is struggling.

You make that sound like the Hulk knows something that we do not?


How are we to know?

But after a bit of an early season lull where if anything Perez was getting the upper hand slightly, he's gone on a put in two great performances and convincingly beaten Perez either side of winning Le Mans as a rookie. Make of that what you will but to me it speaks of a driver with some new-found motivation.

_________________
Pick 10 Competition:
2013 - 10th
2014 - 9th
2015 - 6th


Pick 10 Podiums:
1st Place: USA 2012, Japan 2013, USA 2015
2nd Place: Bahrain 2015, Barcelona 2015
3rd Place: China 2014


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 1:26 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 14, 2012 5:44 pm
Posts: 1058
UnlikeUday wrote:
coulthards chin wrote:
I don't think it's a coincidence that the Hulk seems re-invigorated and Kimi is struggling.


With due respect to Kimi, if Ferrari decide not to retain him, then does Bottas or Hulkenberg have a better chance to join Scuderia?

Wouldn't Kimi's replacement be termed as driver no. 2? In this case, Bottas wouldn't prefer being the shadow of Vettel whereas Hulk wouldn't mind as he'll get a big break & he has to consider the age factor as well.

If Bottas does go to Ferrari, Hulk getting to join Williams would be awesome as well.


Although Adam Parr is now long gone, I remember that Hulkenberg has been quoted as saying he would never return to Williams after his departure.

_________________
Pick 10 Competition:
2013 - 10th
2014 - 9th
2015 - 6th


Pick 10 Podiums:
1st Place: USA 2012, Japan 2013, USA 2015
2nd Place: Bahrain 2015, Barcelona 2015
3rd Place: China 2014


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 2:03 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Aug 03, 2006 8:37 am
Posts: 636
UnlikeUday wrote:
coulthards chin wrote:
I don't think it's a coincidence that the Hulk seems re-invigorated and Kimi is struggling.


With due respect to Kimi, if Ferrari decide not to retain him, then does Bottas or Hulkenberg have a better chance to join Scuderia?

Wouldn't Kimi's replacement be termed as driver no. 2? In this case, Bottas wouldn't prefer being the shadow of Vettel whereas Hulk wouldn't mind as he'll get a big break & he has to consider the age factor as well.

If Bottas does go to Ferrari, Hulk getting to join Williams would be awesome as well.



If Ferrari are just looking for a contracted number 2 then why bother replacing Kimi?

I think that anyone who joins Ferrari will get a fair shot, if they can keep up with or beat Vettel then the team aren't going to make them stop. If they prove significantly slower than Vettel and end up further back while Sebastien has a title shot, then of course they'll fall into a number 2 role, but I couldn't imagine either Valtteri or Nico believing they'd end up in that situation.

With all that said, there's nothing I've seen that makes Bottas a hotter property than Hulkenberg in my mind. If I was Ferrari I'd definitely choose Nico. But then I've been saying that for years, if I was Merc I'd have nabbed him instead of renewing Rosberg's contract last year, or if I was Red Bull I'd have got him in to replace Webber, F1 bosses have so far disagreed with me.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 2:06 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Feb 04, 2014 7:56 pm
Posts: 1705
Location: Hawaii
steoc4 wrote:
UnlikeUday wrote:
coulthards chin wrote:
I don't think it's a coincidence that the Hulk seems re-invigorated and Kimi is struggling.


With due respect to Kimi, if Ferrari decide not to retain him, then does Bottas or Hulkenberg have a better chance to join Scuderia?

Wouldn't Kimi's replacement be termed as driver no. 2? In this case, Bottas wouldn't prefer being the shadow of Vettel whereas Hulk wouldn't mind as he'll get a big break & he has to consider the age factor as well.

If Bottas does go to Ferrari, Hulk getting to join Williams would be awesome as well.



If Ferrari are just looking for a contracted number 2 then why bother replacing Kimi?

I think that anyone who joins Ferrari will get a fair shot, if they can keep up with or beat Vettel then the team aren't going to make them stop. If they prove significantly slower than Vettel and end up further back while Sebastien has a title shot, then of course they'll fall into a number 2 role, but I couldn't imagine either Valtteri or Nico believing they'd end up in that situation.

With all that said, there's nothing I've seen that makes Bottas a hotter property than Hulkenberg in my mind. If I was Ferrari I'd definitely choose Nico. But then I've been saying that for years, if I was Merc I'd have nabbed him instead of renewing Rosberg's contract last year, or if I was Red Bull I'd have got him in to replace Webber, F1 bosses have so far disagreed with me.



Ferrari needs a solid and dependable #2 driver who consistently finishes in the points. I think both Bottas and the Hulk have proven that they are consistent and quick. To that point, so did Kimi when he was at Lotus, but something happened at Ferrari that's throwing him off.

I don't agree that either Bottas or the Hulk would be OK with being #2. They would fight to be #1 and if they weren't faster than Seb, then so be it. They seem to be very stable drivers.

With regards to the Hulk, I agree about Mercedes, but Nico has also proven to be very quick as well so I don't think it's in their interest at this time to change out their second driver. With Red Bull..........not happening. They cast aside their unpromising drivers very quickly and don't see them promoting any driver who isn't in their program.

With Fernando's backing of the Hulk I could see him potentially ending up at McLaren. If Jenson and/or Fernando left, the Hulk with Magnussen or Vandoorne would be a pretty good combination of experience and youth.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 3:21 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Feb 12, 2012 2:53 pm
Posts: 8055
Location: Mumbai, India
HawaiiF1Fan wrote:
steoc4 wrote:
UnlikeUday wrote:
coulthards chin wrote:
I don't think it's a coincidence that the Hulk seems re-invigorated and Kimi is struggling.


With due respect to Kimi, if Ferrari decide not to retain him, then does Bottas or Hulkenberg have a better chance to join Scuderia?

Wouldn't Kimi's replacement be termed as driver no. 2? In this case, Bottas wouldn't prefer being the shadow of Vettel whereas Hulk wouldn't mind as he'll get a big break & he has to consider the age factor as well.

If Bottas does go to Ferrari, Hulk getting to join Williams would be awesome as well.



If Ferrari are just looking for a contracted number 2 then why bother replacing Kimi?

I think that anyone who joins Ferrari will get a fair shot, if they can keep up with or beat Vettel then the team aren't going to make them stop. If they prove significantly slower than Vettel and end up further back while Sebastien has a title shot, then of course they'll fall into a number 2 role, but I couldn't imagine either Valtteri or Nico believing they'd end up in that situation.

With all that said, there's nothing I've seen that makes Bottas a hotter property than Hulkenberg in my mind. If I was Ferrari I'd definitely choose Nico. But then I've been saying that for years, if I was Merc I'd have nabbed him instead of renewing Rosberg's contract last year, or if I was Red Bull I'd have got him in to replace Webber, F1 bosses have so far disagreed with me.



Ferrari needs a solid and dependable #2 driver who consistently finishes in the points. I think both Bottas and the Hulk have proven that they are consistent and quick. To that point, so did Kimi when he was at Lotus, but something happened at Ferrari that's throwing him off.

I don't agree that either Bottas or the Hulk would be OK with being #2. They would fight to be #1 and if they weren't faster than Seb, then so be it. They seem to be very stable drivers.

With regards to the Hulk, I agree about Mercedes, but Nico has also proven to be very quick as well so I don't think it's in their interest at this time to change out their second driver. With Red Bull..........not happening. They cast aside their unpromising drivers very quickly and don't see them promoting any driver who isn't in their program.

With Fernando's backing of the Hulk I could see him potentially ending up at McLaren. If Jenson and/or Fernando left, the Hulk with Magnussen or Vandoorne would be a pretty good combination of experience and youth.


Hulk would be better off at Williams even but till McHonda doesn't get reliable & pick up speed, it could be again a waste of time for Hulk to go there. Anyway, McLaren didn't choose him over Perez because of his height.

I believe Hulk has a decent shot to go to either Ferrari or a Williams.

_________________
Feel The Fourth


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 9:06 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Feb 04, 2014 7:56 pm
Posts: 1705
Location: Hawaii
UnlikeUday wrote:
HawaiiF1Fan wrote:
steoc4 wrote:
UnlikeUday wrote:
coulthards chin wrote:
I don't think it's a coincidence that the Hulk seems re-invigorated and Kimi is struggling.


With due respect to Kimi, if Ferrari decide not to retain him, then does Bottas or Hulkenberg have a better chance to join Scuderia?

Wouldn't Kimi's replacement be termed as driver no. 2? In this case, Bottas wouldn't prefer being the shadow of Vettel whereas Hulk wouldn't mind as he'll get a big break & he has to consider the age factor as well.

If Bottas does go to Ferrari, Hulk getting to join Williams would be awesome as well.



If Ferrari are just looking for a contracted number 2 then why bother replacing Kimi?

I think that anyone who joins Ferrari will get a fair shot, if they can keep up with or beat Vettel then the team aren't going to make them stop. If they prove significantly slower than Vettel and end up further back while Sebastien has a title shot, then of course they'll fall into a number 2 role, but I couldn't imagine either Valtteri or Nico believing they'd end up in that situation.

With all that said, there's nothing I've seen that makes Bottas a hotter property than Hulkenberg in my mind. If I was Ferrari I'd definitely choose Nico. But then I've been saying that for years, if I was Merc I'd have nabbed him instead of renewing Rosberg's contract last year, or if I was Red Bull I'd have got him in to replace Webber, F1 bosses have so far disagreed with me.



Ferrari needs a solid and dependable #2 driver who consistently finishes in the points. I think both Bottas and the Hulk have proven that they are consistent and quick. To that point, so did Kimi when he was at Lotus, but something happened at Ferrari that's throwing him off.

I don't agree that either Bottas or the Hulk would be OK with being #2. They would fight to be #1 and if they weren't faster than Seb, then so be it. They seem to be very stable drivers.

With regards to the Hulk, I agree about Mercedes, but Nico has also proven to be very quick as well so I don't think it's in their interest at this time to change out their second driver. With Red Bull..........not happening. They cast aside their unpromising drivers very quickly and don't see them promoting any driver who isn't in their program.

With Fernando's backing of the Hulk I could see him potentially ending up at McLaren. If Jenson and/or Fernando left, the Hulk with Magnussen or Vandoorne would be a pretty good combination of experience and youth.


Hulk would be better off at Williams even but till McHonda doesn't get reliable & pick up speed, it could be again a waste of time for Hulk to go there. Anyway, McLaren didn't choose him over Perez because of his height.

I believe Hulk has a decent shot to go to either Ferrari or a Williams.



I don't think the Hulk will be at Ferrari. With Seb there and it looking like Bottas will be there, there won't be a seat opening for quite some time.

Williams would be good in the short term, but they lack funds so I don't think it's a good fit.

Like Fernando I think the Hulk suffers from poor timing and think that his best long term fit is at McHonda. I get your point about his size, but Jenson is a tall guy too.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 9:46 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Apr 05, 2009 5:52 am
Posts: 2932
Might we get to see a #27 Ferrari again..?

_________________
Where I'm going, I don't need roads


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 3:14 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Feb 12, 2012 2:53 pm
Posts: 8055
Location: Mumbai, India
It was suggested in an article on Autosport.com that if Hulk doesn't get a top team drive next year, he should consider quitting F1 & joining WEC.

I agree on this though as there has to be a limit to waiting.

_________________
Feel The Fourth


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 8:52 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Mar 09, 2010 6:31 am
Posts: 2177
Bottas is quick. He was a star last season and this season, between his back and car issues, has not recaptured that drive. I think he is greatly underestimated at times. I do not believe he would settle in as anybody's nice #2. Massa looks great out there now that he got out from under the shadow of being a #2. So I think sometimes people are thinking of Ferrari-Massa and using that as the standard against Bottas. But Massa's speed and experience is real, so his beating Bottas at times is expected, imo.

Anyway, I hope all the younger drivers have a year to sort it out and Kimi stays for 2016.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 12:51 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Feb 12, 2012 2:53 pm
Posts: 8055
Location: Mumbai, India
Nico Hulkenberg training hard in Dominican Republic to raise to the new fitness levels required for 2017:


_________________
Feel The Fourth


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 7:49 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 25, 2011 11:06 am
Posts: 3193
I really hope NIco gets a car that shows how competitive and consistent he is.

_________________
http://grandprixratings.blogspot.com


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 9:04 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Mar 06, 2004 8:07 am
Posts: 1248
so what happened to Hulkenberg in Austria - why did he finish so low?

_________________
"I'd rather lose a race going fast enough to win it, than win one going slow enough to lose it".
-Stirling Moss


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 1:40 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Mar 06, 2004 8:07 am
Posts: 1248
anyone?

_________________
"I'd rather lose a race going fast enough to win it, than win one going slow enough to lose it".
-Stirling Moss


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 2:40 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Feb 12, 2012 2:53 pm
Posts: 8055
Location: Mumbai, India
DOLOMITE wrote:
anyone?


I don't believe he had a slow puncture. It has to be tyre degradation.

_________________
Feel The Fourth


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 2:19 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Sep 17, 2007 12:45 pm
Posts: 1022
Plus he had a disastrous start, because he his engine entered (or he accidently activated it) anti stall mode


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 6:24 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Mar 06, 2004 8:07 am
Posts: 1248
well the Alfa door has closed , Nico says no to Williams and I'd be shocked if Red Bull took him so sadly I think that's it for the Hulk. How on earth does a driver of his pedigree do 175 races and never manage even a podium?

_________________
"I'd rather lose a race going fast enough to win it, than win one going slow enough to lose it".
-Stirling Moss


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 7:31 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Aug 08, 2016 11:14 am
Posts: 1306
Location: Stratford
DOLOMITE wrote:
well the Alfa door has closed , Nico says no to Williams and I'd be shocked if Red Bull took him so sadly I think that's it for the Hulk. How on earth does a driver of his pedigree do 175 races and never manage even a podium?


Ultimately because he wasn't good enough. Perez scored four podiums in their time together.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 8:53 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2012 4:13 pm
Posts: 16240
I don't think it's necessarily all over for him.

He'll be out for 2020 but he could come back. If anyone under performs next year he'll be the first to get a call. Who knows what will happen.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 9:01 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Feb 23, 2014 3:53 am
Posts: 7401
Location: Michigan, USA
mikeyg123 wrote:
I don't think it's necessarily all over for him.

He'll be out for 2020 but he could come back. If anyone under performs next year he'll be the first to get a call. Who knows what will happen.

Drivers don't come back very often when they're forced out of F1. Nico doesn't even have the backing of a major team.

_________________
PICK 10 COMPETITION (4 wins, 15 podiums): 3rd in 2016
TOP THREE CHAMPIONSHIP (No Limit Excedrin Racing): Champions in 2015 & 2018 | 2nd in 2017
AUTOSPORT GP PREDICTOR: 2017 USA & P-F1 Champion | #2 in the world in 2017


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 9:36 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Mar 06, 2004 8:07 am
Posts: 1248
Exediron wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:
I don't think it's necessarily all over for him.

He'll be out for 2020 but he could come back. If anyone under performs next year he'll be the first to get a call. Who knows what will happen.

Drivers don't come back very often when they're forced out of F1. Nico doesn't even have the backing of a major team.


and would be one of the oldest drivers on the grid with a less than glittering record - unlikely to be top of anyone's list with so many young guns about.

He's been a bit unlucky but you look at his pre-F1 record and it's impeccable, he was an absolute winning machine, how did that never convert into a top seat?

Heidfeld all over again. If you're German and your initial are NH....

_________________
"I'd rather lose a race going fast enough to win it, than win one going slow enough to lose it".
-Stirling Moss


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 10:45 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Feb 23, 2014 3:53 am
Posts: 7401
Location: Michigan, USA
DOLOMITE wrote:
He's been a bit unlucky but you look at his pre-F1 record and it's impeccable, he was an absolute winning machine, how did that never convert into a top seat?

I have to say that based on how he's matched up to Danny Ric, he likely wouldn't have won any races in a top car either. It's hard to find a top car without a top driver already in the other seat.

_________________
PICK 10 COMPETITION (4 wins, 15 podiums): 3rd in 2016
TOP THREE CHAMPIONSHIP (No Limit Excedrin Racing): Champions in 2015 & 2018 | 2nd in 2017
AUTOSPORT GP PREDICTOR: 2017 USA & P-F1 Champion | #2 in the world in 2017


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 11:05 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2012 4:13 pm
Posts: 16240
DOLOMITE wrote:
Exediron wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:
I don't think it's necessarily all over for him.

He'll be out for 2020 but he could come back. If anyone under performs next year he'll be the first to get a call. Who knows what will happen.

Drivers don't come back very often when they're forced out of F1. Nico doesn't even have the backing of a major team.


and would be one of the oldest drivers on the grid with a less than glittering record - unlikely to be top of anyone's list with so many young guns about.

He's been a bit unlucky but you look at his pre-F1 record and it's impeccable, he was an absolute winning machine, how did that never convert into a top seat?

Heidfeld all over again. If you're German and your initial are NH....


Heidfeld did actually make a comeback. Twice.

Hulkenberg was unlucky. He came into F1 before junior programs were a big thing but by the time he was ready for a good drive the top teams were only hiring their junior drivers or former champions.

I think Perez at Mclaren is the only exception to that in the entire time Hulkenberg has been in F1.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 11:06 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2012 4:13 pm
Posts: 16240
Exediron wrote:
DOLOMITE wrote:
He's been a bit unlucky but you look at his pre-F1 record and it's impeccable, he was an absolute winning machine, how did that never convert into a top seat?

I have to say that based on how he's matched up to Danny Ric, he likely wouldn't have won any races in a top car either. It's hard to find a top car without a top driver already in the other seat.


Plenty worse drivers than Hulkenberg have won F1 races in very good cars.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group