planetf1.com

It is currently Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:49 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 12:17 am 

He made his mark and I will miss his occasionally absolutely blistering speed but F1 or any fast motor sport is too dangerous to do if your heart and concentration are not 100 percent in it anymore. Nico on his very best days proved he could be faster than both Schumacher and Hamilton in certain races which is some feat and that will prove to be his lasting historical legacy.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 1:05 am 

I just wonder if perhaps Rosberg might be called up by Ferrari, assuming Raikkonen retires maybe next year, to partner VETTEL; but Rosberg would likely decline with it being so soon.

Just something to think about, maybe. Look at where the bosses voted him in terms of best drivers in the world recently, so he could be a wanted man.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 10:39 am 

Fangio52 wrote:
Rosberg will come back in 2018 and not with Mercedes!

I wish, but I'll believe it when I see it.

I do really hope that we haven't seen the end of him just yet. I can see him returning in 2018 or 2019 to a team like Renault, or any other team which will give him a car good enough to compete near the front without being seriously involved in a title fight.

And if Abu Dhabi really was his final race, at least he put to bed the comparisons with Coulthard, Webber, Barrichello, and Massa. Hopefully now he will be correctly placed in the same tier as Button and Raikkonen. I was proven right about him.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 1:35 pm 

23 career wins for Nico, what were your top 5?

Not in any order, here are mine.

1) Singapore 2016, he blew Hamilton away. The biggest margin he had to Hamilton as team mates
2) China 2012, the car was good that day but Schumacher was blitzed on saturday and sunday.
3) Austria 2015, overtook Hamilton and pulled away from him and comfortably won.
4) Monaco 2013, his best Monaco win of the bunch.
5) AD 2015, the easiest of his late 2015 wins. Pole by nearly 0.4 and Hamilton covered for pace all race day.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 3:09 pm 

Warheart01 wrote:
Maybe you all won't believe me but I will actually miss him. Well done Nico, and a sincere congratulations.

:thumbup:

That's the spirit! :nod:

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 4:42 pm 

I was wondering, earlier today, does Nico have any continuing NDA that would prevent him publishing an autobiography wih details of what happened during his time partnering Lewis at Mercedes.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 7:13 pm 

flyboy10 wrote:
I was wondering, earlier today, does Nico have any continuing NDA that would prevent him publishing an autobiography wih details of what happened during his time partnering Lewis at Mercedes.

Well th e rest of his outstanding contract with Merc. After that, anything that was in any contracts he signed blocking transfer of information.

Then again, it is a trade off what he would have to pay out for publishing v what he would gain.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 7:40 pm 

Invade wrote:
I just wonder if perhaps Rosberg might be called up by Ferrari, assuming Raikkonen retires maybe next year, to partner VETTEL; but Rosberg would likely decline with it being so soon.

Just something to think about, maybe. Look at where the bosses voted him in terms of best drivers in the world recently, so he could be a wanted man.

Rosberg walked away from a HUGE payday if he has just stayed one more year at Mercedes. No doubt there is a bonus clause if a driver wins the title. So he walked away from his generous salary, lots and lots of endorsement opportunities by being the champ, and bonus clauses. Considering what he walked away from, I can't think of anything any team could dangle in front of his eyes to entice him back into Formula One.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 7:40 pm 

flyboy10 wrote:

Common sense would dictate that he wouldnt publish one unless he was 100% sure he wasnt returning. And unless he is going to rubbish or lift the lid on a number of other drivers/teams it's hardly going to sell well.
And whilst some may wet their knickers at the thought of him dishing the dirt on Hamilton, I suspect most of what these people believe is far from the truth. I doubt you would get a warts and all from Rosberg anyway; more an insight into the reality. Which is probably pretty mundane.
Saying that I would love to know what was said in the swimming pool. One possibly not returning to the team, the other offered a measly 1 year contract. A week later everything in the garden is rosy, Nico is sitting there with a multi-year deal; and a new helmet deal courtesy of Hamilton.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 8:58 pm 

Nico has been on tax free earnings his entire career, I think money becomes irrelevant after a while. He must have amassed nearly $100 million career earnings already, another $20, $30 or even $50 million isn't changing his life in the slightest.

He will come back, if he does, the same reason they all do. Boredom and the need for some competition and adrenaline.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 9:00 pm 

shoot999 wrote:
flyboy10 wrote:

Common sense would dictate that he wouldnt publish one unless he was 100% sure he wasnt returning. And unless he is going to rubbish or lift the lid on a number of other drivers/teams it's hardly going to sell well.
And whilst some may wet their knickers at the thought of him dishing the dirt on Hamilton, I suspect most of what these people believe is far from the truth. I doubt you would get a warts and all from Rosberg anyway; more an insight into the reality. Which is probably pretty mundane.
Saying that I would love to know what was said in the swimming pool. One possibly not returning to the team, the other offered a measly 1 year contract. A week later everything in the garden is rosy, Nico is sitting there with a multi-year deal; and a new helmet deal courtesy of Hamilton.

I do not recall this, what was the swimming pool talk and its relevance?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 9:46 pm 

lamo wrote:
shoot999 wrote:
flyboy10 wrote:

I do not recall this, what was the swimming pool talk and its relevance?

It was immediately after Spain and supposedly Hamilton saw Rosberg in the swimming pool and went for a chat. At the time Brundle said the meeting was more significant than was reported (a supposed clear the air meeting). Brundle mentioned it again at AD; but this time in relation to Hamilton having walked away from the team after Spain. The inference being that maybe Rosberg had talked Hamilton down.
This was just before Monaco; where Nico had had an appalling race. Discussing it later one of issues that came to light was that the Hamilton Bell helmet offered greater visibiity than Rosbergs; which had a design fault. Bell were reluctant to help but Hamilton waived his exclusivity deal to allow Rosberg to wear a Bell until the design fault in Rosbergs was fixed.
As for relevance; no idea. But I would hazard a guess that their relationship is not as volatile as the press wish it was. Hence my view that the Hamilton v Rosberg story is probably quite mundane. But it would be cool to know what really went on.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 7:54 am 

Nico The Brave will air on Thursday on Sky Sports F1, 8pm BST it would seem.

I can't wait for that one.

It was incredible to watch Lewis accomplish what he did in 2014 and 2015 and I enjoyed it immensely. After watching Rosberg get edged out and beat up, being able to see him achieve this was truly something.

Here is what Rosberg will miss and not miss about Formula 1 (keep your volume down, there are some sound quality clipping issues):

2016 - What will Rosberg miss about F1?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4kRuhdKifEc

VERSION WITH BETTER AUDIO (use this one)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nYeIXmH8heI

Last edited by Invade on Fri Dec 09, 2016 7:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 7:26 pm 

That is interesting regarding the Bell helmets, I never knew that. Odd that the Schuberth had a design fault, that helmet has been around for a long time.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 5:53 pm 

Does Rosberg know that next year's Mercedes is a dud?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 9:16 am 

“It was an incredible time and I am proud to have been involved, to have defeated Lewis and become a world champion. But that’s now passed. I made it and now go on to other things."
http://www.planetf1.com/news/rosberg-ex ... christmas/

he he... after Lewis' "This is the first time he has won in our rivalry in 18 years"

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 11:27 am 

Whatever Nico Rosberg's personal motives for retirement are he has made himself an irrelevance to F1, there is no champion to race against next year, he has shown little loyalty to the team and personnel that gave him his success and has clearly disappointed Lauda and Toto Wolff.

He has devalued Mercedes championship somewhat and left many with the feeling he wimped out. Doesn't detract from his win or his desire to be with his family, it is just how many will view it.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 12:13 pm 

Option or Prime wrote:
Whatever Nico Rosberg's personal motives for retirement are he has made himself an irrelevance to F1, there is no champion to race against next year, he has shown little loyalty to the team and personnel that gave him his success and has clearly disappointed Lauda and Toto Wolff.

He has devalued Mercedes championship somewhat and left many with the feeling he wimped out. Doesn't detract from his win or his desire to be with his family, it is just how many will view it.

Interesting, he covered that one, from that same link:

“I am aware that the majority of people support my decision. There’ll always be people who think otherwise.”

Also:
"But everyone has a choice, everyone has their road. I had a great career and succeeded at what I wanted to be successful at."

And he's right. Who really cares about "critics" that think they know how to better walk other people's walk. His feet, his moccasins.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 12:20 pm 

Otherwise, what do these folks think that "loyalty" would have to look alike? Like, Nico, having lost his interest to continue in F1 after Abu Dhabi where he clinched the WDC, he should stayed "loyal" to Merc and drag his donkey around in that car during the next season so to collect his $30 mil?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 12:24 pm 

Prema, that is not the point I am making, it may be true that a majority support his PERSONAL decision, but that is different from the feeling that he has let F1, Mercedes and many F1 fans down. Add to that in all races next year drivers are unable to race against the current world champion.

We can even decide if he is a good World Champion or not as he won't be there!

Its obviously on his mind or he wouldn't be tweeting thank-you all the time, just looks like he feels guilty.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 1:01 pm 

Option or Prime wrote:
Its obviously on his mind or he wouldn't be tweeting thank-you all the time, just looks like he feels guilty.

Or... thankful?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 2:21 pm 

Option or Prime wrote:
Prema, that is not the point I am making, it may be true that a majority support his PERSONAL decision, but that is different from the feeling that he has let F1, Mercedes and many F1 fans down. Add to that in all races next year drivers are unable to race against the current world champion.

Well, I thought that the point that you were making and that I was responding to, was this one:
Quote:
he has shown little loyalty to the team and personnel that gave him his success and has clearly disappointed Lauda and Toto Wolff.

Passing down a judgement. And what would be that part about Lauda and Toto being disappointed? He's not married to them so to take their pleasure and displeasure in account when making a major decisions in his life; they were but his bosses while he was employed there. Now they are not. That's the point rather, one of, to get rid of and be free from that stuff of pleasing bosses. I wish I could do similar to my bosses... walk in and say "good bye folks, I am of pursuing the happiness in my life.. ". but I can't... yet.

And as a fan, I do not feel being let down by his choice of pursuing his own life. Otherwise yes, shame that he is not around another year or two. But no judgment.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 3:03 pm 

Option or Prime wrote:

I'd be surprised if more than a handful feel that way. I don't see the logic in the idea of him devaluing Mercedes' championship. How could him retiring possibly have any effect on how he won the title? Very strange.

As for wimping out: again, very strange. He's been partners with Lewis for four years. Now he's finally beaten him and decided to quit while he's ahead, and that makes him a wimp? I don't get it? :?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 5:09 pm 

Well its cleary an issue with Lauda so much so that Rosberg has hit back at the comments, http://www.f1today.net/en/news/f1/220318/nico-rosberg-hits-back-at-niki-lauda-criticism Do you really think Mercedes want two ex World Champions arguing in this way.

In the wider world of sport Champions usually defend their trophy the following year, it honourable and standard etiquette. Is it different in F1 then?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 5:23 pm 

Prema wrote:
Option or Prime wrote:

“I am aware that the majority of people support my decision. There’ll always be people who think otherwise.”

Also:
"But everyone has a choice, everyone has their road. I had a great career and succeeded at what I wanted to be successful at."

And he's right. Who really cares about "critics" that think they know how to better walk other people's walk. His feet, his moccasins.

Ahem. You can apply that to all drivers, right?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 5:26 pm 

Zoue wrote:
Option or Prime wrote:

I'd be surprised if more than a handful feel that way. I don't see the logic in the idea of him devaluing Mercedes' championship. How could him retiring possibly have any effect on how he won the title? Very strange.

As for wimping out: again, very strange. He's been partners with Lewis for four years. Now he's finally beaten him and decided to quit while he's ahead, and that makes him a wimp? I don't get it? :?

I thought the devaluing was that they can't use him for marketing as the reigning champion.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 5:42 pm 

Option or Prime wrote:
Well its cleary an issue with Lauda so much so that Rosberg has hit back at the comments, http://www.f1today.net/en/news/f1/220318/nico-rosberg-hits-back-at-niki-lauda-criticism Do you really think Mercedes want two ex World Champions arguing in this way.

In the wider world of sport Champions usually defend their trophy the following year, it honourable and standard etiquette. Is it different in F1 then?

Mansell retired in 1992 after becoming WDC. Prost did the same in 1993. I don't see why they should be considered dishonourable.

I don't see the problem, personally. Hill became WDC in 1996 and then languished around the rear of the field in 1997, driving around in that Arrows. Was that really more "honourable" than Nico retiring at the top? Was JV cheated because he couldn't fight Hill at the front in 1997? I don't see it, myself.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 6:01 pm 

lamo wrote:
Prema wrote:
Option or Prime wrote:

Also:

Ahem. You can apply that to all drivers, right?

You mean, to Lewis ("all drivers", right)? If he finds out that his life would be better for him without F1 and decides to retire tomorrow if he wanted so...? Ahem to that.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 6:13 pm 

Option or Prime wrote:

Lauda apparently got issues, no question about that. It's his bag to carry around.

Now, you are making it with this "honourable and standard etiquette". As you correctly started, it is but how usually it happens so since the guys are not ready to quit with their professionalism yet, be it F1 or boxing or whatever.
And in the case of WDC in F1, it really is not even the case of "defending" like it is in the boxing for example. All resets at the start of the new season. It is but the remembrance of who won it the last year. And if the car turns out not to be up to it, say good bye to "defending" right away.

Last edited by Prema on Sun Dec 11, 2016 6:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 6:16 pm 

There were only 2 drivers who had a realistic chance of Winning the World Championship in 2016. The 2016 Championship is over, and 99% of it is history now.

In 2017 it may be another team whose 2 drivers are the only ones who have a realistic chance of Winning the World Championship.

I would have liked to see Nico continue into 2017, as I thought that this year had improved some things in his favour. He had showed he was a team player by allowing Hamilton past in Monaco. It had become established that there was a rule against forcing another driver off the track - even if they were both in the same team (I also appreciate the way it was applied in the case of Vettel and Massa). Rosberg would be free of the weight of not having won a World Championship.

But he won - he's satisfied, and he's happy. It's his life.
I don't think he owes anyone anything.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 7:05 pm 

I get all that, Nico has gone, I think he could have done more in the wake of his title. The fact is that it does seem that Mercedes are miffed, confused, disappointed you choose the adjective.

To my mind Nico Rosberg will not rank highly in the order of World Driver Champions, however, I respect his decision to retire. I'm happy that the season resets. It simply confirms to me that whilst I am an F1 fan but clearly not an aficionado. As a wider sports fan it does seem to me that F1 edicts are somewhat different as has been outlined above.

I just wonder if that is a barrier to some considering following the sport, it is already a remote sport due to cost, the spoils seem distributed by historical whim and the rules of racing change from week to week. To be honest I am hoping Liberty change a few things.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 9:44 pm 

Rosberg's decision to retire just says to me he doesn't have the hunger to go and try and win a 2nd or a 3rd title. He probably recognises within himself that he benefitted from a great deal of good fortune; give Hamilton Rosberg's reliability and he takes the title for a 4th time. This is clearly as good as it's ever going to get for Rosberg so why not choose that moment to end it all?

Which is fair enough; it's Rosberg's life and career at the emd of the day. But it also exemplifies why Rosberg has never endeared himself to me.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 9:40 am 

GingerFurball wrote:
This is clearly as good as it's ever going to get for Rosberg so why not choose that moment to end it all?

That we will never now, I've read so many times here how he will never win anything while he's teamed up with Lewis, guess what, he did :)
Great work done by Nico, very impressed by him.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 2:01 pm 

Option or Prime wrote:

Do people really care that much? With or without his title I don't think anyone viewed Nico as "the man to beat" next year

I would have thought more people would like to see a change. The front of the grid always has a tendency to start feeling stale after a couple of years. Change is good

FA#14

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 4:53 pm 

Option or Prime wrote:

It's a subject which will probably be debated for years, maybe with less passion as time goes by.

The last 4 years have been more interesting for me because of the Hamilton-Rosberg rivalry.

Nico did what he had to do. He may not have particularly liked driving the way he had to, to succeed, and I wouldn't be surprised if that was part of the reason he was happy to stop now.

I don't like the way the racing happens now in F1, though there have been some slight improvements this year, so I'll keep an eye on it and hope it improves.

It's been interesting reading all the different views on here.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 10:22 pm 

Nico has climbed his mountain and, apparently, at some personal cost. Why should he feel obliged to revisit it?
Sad that I won't get to see him compete again but good for him. Wish him and his family the very best.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 12:42 pm 

Option or Prime wrote:
(Rosberg has shown little loyalty to the team and personnel that gave him his success and has clearly disappointed Lauda and Toto Wolff.
Lauda knows a little bit about going up against a faster/stronger driver. I'm quite sure he knows Rosberg would not enjoy a better reputation, if he were to suffer a season like his own final one (1985). I don't know to what extent Toto is aware of the mountain Nico had to climb to become champion, but he should be, in his management position.
The team personnel, I am quite sure, were aware of Rosberg's difficulties and the effort he had to put in. I sincerely doubt they feel he is letting them down, though I'm sure a number of them will feel sad he's gone. But that is not the same thing.

Maria de Villota - Jules Bianchi

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 6:29 pm 

Are we allowed to add to retired drivers' threads?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b ... e-after-f1

Nico Rosberg: My Life After F1
In an exclusive interview, the BBC catches up with former F1 World Champion Nico Rosberg, to hear about his plans for the future, and his take on this year's F1 championship

Also on Youtube
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ysvQeAFuyyo

Last edited by jiminwatford on Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:12 am 

A few theories going around about Nico this weekend. For some reason all weekend in Formula E Felix Rosenqvist was "FRO" on the timing screen, rather than "ROS". Nico declared definite interest in Formula E in a non-driving capacity. But people love adding up 2+2...

FA#14

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:02 am 

mcdo wrote:
A few theories going around about Nico this weekend. For some reason all weekend in Formula E Felix Rosenqvist was "FRO" on the timing screen, rather than "ROS". Nico declared definite interest in Formula E in a non-driving capacity. But people love adding up 2+2...

He's always been like that on the timing screens in Formula E, hasn't he?

AUTOSPORT GP PREDICTOR: 2017 United States Champion! (world #3)